Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

12

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Ric Moore
On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 04:19 -0800, Les wrote:
> I think it is from squeak, but I am not yet sure.  I am struggling to
> get another system up so I can check between the two of them to help me
> isolate the issues involved.
OK, did you get that message in croquet-devel about the problem with
Croquet trying to open a 24bit window in a 32bit display in linux? And
the patch for it? I was hoping you'd give it a whirl first so I didn't
bugger up what I have running so far! <grins> Here it is.

Ric Moore schrieb:

>>> Would you step me through applying the patch and to where? Thanks
for
>>> the effort!! Ric

Hi,

http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff is a patch against

platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c  of

http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-8.src.tar.gz

that are no steps, but there is a readme of how to build the vm.

- Jens -

That last reply helped a lot... NOT! :) But I bet it made sense to you!
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Dirk Husemann
Ric Moore wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 04:19 -0800, Les wrote:
>
>> I think it is from squeak, but I am not yet sure.  I am struggling to
>> get another system up so I can check between the two of them to help me
>> isolate the issues involved.
>>
> OK, did you get that message in croquet-devel about the problem with
> Croquet trying to open a 24bit window in a 32bit display in linux? And
> the patch for it? I was hoping you'd give it a whirl first so I didn't
> bugger up what I have running so far! <grins> Here it is.

that patch seems to have fixed the "cannot initialize opengl" error i
was getting as well. running now. :-)

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- [hidden email] --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield

Re: Linux fix

Gavin Newman
Thanks for the good work. How do you patch Croquet?

On 15/02/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Jens Lincke of impara and me worked with NVIDIA developer support to
> figure out what the problem is when "Composite" is enabled. Turns out
> it is a fault on our part - their diagnostic was:
>
> "the app is trying to create a depth 24 child window of a depth 32
> parent and the app specifies neither a border pixel nor a border pixmap"
>
> So here's a patch that indeed fixes the problem for our test machine:
>
>         http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff
>
> The patch also adds a bit more verbose X error diagnostics.
>
> Cheers to all, in particular the NVIDIA guys :)
>
> - Bert -

Re: Linux fix

Bert Freudenberg
On Feb 22, 2007, at 15:04 , Gavin Newman wrote:

> Thanks for the good work. How do you patch Croquet?

Croquet runs on the Squeak VM. You need to build a new one. My fix is
already in the subversion trunk. Get it like this

        svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk squeak-svn

and then read squeak-svn/platforms/unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource for
build instructions.

- Bert -

Re: Linux fix

Gavin Newman
Oh my goodness. I had a read and it did not make any sense to me. I
just want to use Croquet to create multi-user worlds, I am not a
developer by any means. I think I should wait until Ubuntu adds
Croquets to it's download list. Many thanks again for trying to help
me, but I think I am beyond help :s

On 22/02/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2007, at 15:04 , Gavin Newman wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the good work. How do you patch Croquet?
>
> Croquet runs on the Squeak VM. You need to build a new one. My fix is
> already in the subversion trunk. Get it like this
>
>         svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk squeak-svn
>
> and then read squeak-svn/platforms/unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource for
> build instructions.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Linux fix

Paul Sheldon-2
Gavin Newman writes :
"create multi-user worlds...beyond help"

I checked with Maya at Autodesk and their free maya teaches export into
frameworks that you see source of but can't build with unless you pay bucks.

I don't know that they are interested in growing less than Lucasfilm digital
artists,
but it is intriguing that $29 teaches you to draw and generate stuff in
frameworks of
object oriented programming. I hadn't the nerve to touch this $29 so far.

I drew a fish underwater in waterworld, but it definitely was a truncated
vivarium
where kids could actually build fish and other beasts in an ecosystem with
supercomputers when Apple had Alan Kay as an apple fellow.

This kid stuff can be done without supercomputers except to render by guys
like
Habib Zargarpour for Lucasfilm (Melbot Wars), but such a guy has to be
really really
cool to stand out there alone with a wierd lesson plan that noone might buy
and
some suit might blame him for it not being bought. This is not the safe deal
for
those who merely teach prerequisite courses, don't you know.

I don't know if I am that cool, but I'm always trying to find out how cool I
am on
various fronts.

;-)

12