Serious Squeak (other "survey")

1234

Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

cbeler

Yann Monclair a écrit :
>> A decent UI is a UI
>> that looks native...  One to which the user can relate
>> to.  That looks like a Mac on a Mac, like Windows on
>> Windows, etc.
why not having a web based UI. With seaside and scriptaculous, this
shouldn't be really hard. It will look native, modern ;) and will be an
excellent show room for squeak. When I'll have a bit of time, I'll try a
"live" browser... Also something fun would be a comet browser... so
we'll have a collaborative development environment ;) ...

Concerning Squeak UI, I hated it first, and now I'm used to it and
nearly a fan of it. Squeak to me is a bit like a workshop you have to
organize.
To me, the one window approach makes realize that we work in an image
;). I'm not looking forward handling windows separately anymore. So you
have to get used to it, you have your own environment. Now, I use a
squeak-dev image, plus repositories and some code to enhance the
interface stored in Monticello package... Some of my favorite options,
Tracing message browser   and   reverseWindowStagger   to open windows
differently.  CollapseAll in window menu is cool too. I'd also like to
have menu in sort of flaps. For now I have a permanent open menu and
window menu... And I'm dreaming of opengl effect à la mac ;)

Serious squeak ? The fact that my development image is around 50Mb
(+/-)... including lots of stuff, UI, webserver, smalltalk core....
just impressed any time I realize that ! Sure it could be enhanced, but
to me it's more a question of ergonomy, and feel as said Yann

Cédrick

Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

cbeler

> Some people in this list speak about web interface, but, i don't like
> the web interface, i like the "desktop" interface, because, i don't
> want thath the user load an explorer to access to the app.
>
> Doing all through internet, with an explorer, is an error IMHO.
why ?
> And
> all the developers are taking this way.
>
> If i want to use my app from a PDA (thanks for the minimal link Edgar
> to try), the PDA is not always connected to internet.
I dont see the problem. You open your image and you have the web based
interface accessible in local.

To me, a web based will be great for newcomers (at least a cool browser
to start). Just think of what we could do with Comet...
After, you still have the possibility to use morphic...

Cédrick

Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

German Arduino-2

>> Some people in this list speak about web interface, but, i don't like
>> the web interface, i like the "desktop" interface, because, i don't
>> want thath the user load an explorer to access to the app.

You are swimming against the tide. Sooner or later your users will claim
the new UI that are seeing in Google, Yahoo, etc, etc.

Of course, you can start the internet browser window (not need of think
only in Explorer) from your app to use it as desktop app.

>> Doing all through internet, with an explorer, is an error IMHO.

Don't agree, I think that using the internet browser to get rich
applications interfaces is just the better way to do it.

Such alternative is more and more popular, really I think (as software
developer) that at this moment have no sense to develop a (business)
traditional app "a la desktop".

Think in the common user, that is using/operating web 2.0 apps daily
(Google services and a lot of anothers new and cool web applicatins),
going back to use gray-squared-windows....In my opinion is a sort of
case as when Windows started being common and the users were forced to
use they old DOS style apps.

Cheers.
gsa.

RE: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Ron Teitelbaum
All,

VW supports multiple UI looks; I think that is a perfectly reasonable
solution.  I've been fighting with what to do with look if I wanted to use
Squeak for a long time now.  I started with Morphic and threw that out, I
went to wxSqueak and stuck with it for a while but then got worried about
the black boxness of it all and the seemingly lack of support by the
community to embrace it and move it forward.  I then decided that Seaside
might be my solution, squeak as a local server and seaside for UI.  So right
now I'm using Squeak-Seaside-Glorp-PostgreSQL.  I have to say it's pretty
cool.

I miss the functionality of VW, and believe that having a UI builder (and
multiple UI looks) would really help move squeak forward in the open source
business solutions area, even if that is not what Squeak was originally
built for.

If anyone says that the UI is fine for business development I disagree.
Although it is very cool for games, research, and toys!

I would agree that business development (not windows development but
business development) may only be 10% of the community but I suggest that we
should consider if that is a limiting factor instead of a virtue.

Ron

Ramon Leon-5

> >> Doing all through internet, with an explorer, is an error IMHO.
>

> Don't agree, I think that using the internet browser to get
> rich applications interfaces is just the better way to do it.
>
> Such alternative is more and more popular, really I think (as software
> developer) that at this moment have no sense to develop a
> (business) traditional app "a la desktop".
>
> Think in the common user, that is using/operating web 2.0
> apps daily (Google services and a lot of anothers new and
> cool web applicatins), going back to use
> gray-squared-windows....In my opinion is a sort of case as
> when Windows started being common and the users were forced
> to use they old DOS style apps.
>
> Cheers.
> gsa.

I'm a web developer, I love web apps, but I wouldn't want to program in one.
Programmers aren't common users, and the web, even web 2.0, is not a capable
development environment, it's slow, clunky, and still faces browser
compatibility problems and serious security restrictions when run in a
browser.

Web 2.0 is a fad, a new name given to techniques that have existed for
years, and have been used for years, let's not get all caught up and think
it's anywhere near ready to replace the desktop, it isn't.

There are alternatives, that do appear ready, XUL for example.  The FireFox
browser is a fine example of a cross platform development platform that
doesn't use native widgets, is based on XHTML and Javascript, and yet fits
right in, feels nice, and works well on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

But this is a massive undertaking, you can't just say let's replace Squeak's
UI as if it were an easy task.  You can't just pull out Morphic and be done
with it.  These are all revolutionary ideas.  From what I can tell, things
like Squeak tend to grow by evolution, not revolution.

Andreas is right, these big grand plans aren't really that helpful in
getting anything done, let's look at what is done, and do timely releases
every six months only integrating the stuff that's ready.  People are free
to develop anything they want, but let's look only at what's actually "done"
for inclusion into the main image.  Replacing Squeaks UI is just wishful
thinking at this point, it's not even a serious proposal.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Ramon Leon wrote:

>>Don't agree, I think that using the internet browser to get
>>rich applications interfaces is just the better way to do it.
>>
>>Such alternative is more and more popular, really I think (as software
>>developer) that at this moment have no sense to develop a
>>(business) traditional app "a la desktop".
>>
>>Think in the common user, that is using/operating web 2.0
>>apps daily (Google services and a lot of anothers new and
>>cool web applicatins), going back to use
>>gray-squared-windows....In my opinion is a sort of case as
>>when Windows started being common and the users were forced
>>to use they old DOS style apps.
>>
>>Cheers.
>>gsa.
>

> I'm a web developer, I love web apps, but I wouldn't want to program in one.
> Programmers aren't common users, and the web, even web 2.0, is not a capable
> development environment, it's slow, clunky, and still faces browser
> compatibility problems and serious security restrictions when run in a
> browser.

I'm not talking about developing on a web browser. The current Squeak
tools are right for me.

I'm talking of the ui to the user applications.

> Web 2.0 is a fad, a new name given to techniques that have existed for
> years, and have been used for years, let's not get all caught up and think
> it's anywhere near ready to replace the desktop, it isn't.
>
> There are alternatives, that do appear ready, XUL for example.  The FireFox
> browser is a fine example of a cross platform development platform that
> doesn't use native widgets, is based on XHTML and Javascript, and yet fits
> right in, feels nice, and works well on Mac, Windows, and Linux.
>
> But this is a massive undertaking, you can't just say let's replace Squeak's
> UI as if it were an easy task.  You can't just pull out Morphic and be done
> with it.  These are all revolutionary ideas.  From what I can tell, things
> like Squeak tend to grow by evolution, not revolution.

May be I've not be clear. I'm not talking of throw away nothing. Only
saying that again is here the ever present discussion about the ui of
Squeak (meaning the UI to the applications to final users).

Then, my point is that really don't feel that nothing must be changed,
because Squeakers can develop any sort of app, from web to desktop (from
wxWindows to Morphic).

RE: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Ramon Leon-5
> I'm not talking about developing on a web browser. The
> current Squeak tools are right for me.
>
> I'm talking of the ui to the user applications.

Ah, my bad, I misunderstood you then.  OK, we're pretty much in agreement.

> Then, my point is that really don't feel that nothing must be
> changed, because Squeakers can develop any sort of app, from
> web to desktop (from wxWindows to Morphic).

Personally, I don't think morphic is that bad, skinned right, it can be
fairly nice looking and pretty usable, the real problem is the single host
window isolating it from the rest of the OS windows.  I haven't tried
wxWindows because I don't build desktop apps, I may give it a try soon.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Yanni Chiu
Lord ZealoN wrote:
> Giuseppe Luigi Punzi is my real name, you can to make fun about it too.
>
> But I think my nick/name is not important in this discussion.

If Bert hadn't suggested your nickname refers to a
scifi overload (i.e. a character from a science fiction
novel), then I'd have guessed it was a character from
a children's video game.

I think this is the first time I've seen a "real" name
attached to the Lord_ZealoN nickname. Didn't you find it
odd that responses to your postings had addressed you
as "Lord". Anyways, I don't think Bert was poking fun,
rather he was pointing out the irony that you were arguing
for Squeak to be taken seriously, yet the only name we
knew you by was Lord_ZealoN, which doesn't leave an
impression of seriousness.

Anyways, welcome to the Squeak community. I'm happy
to see your reports about running Squeak on PDAs.

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
> Lord ZealoN wrote:
> > Giuseppe Luigi Punzi is my real name, you can to make fun about it too.
> >
> > But I think my nick/name is not important in this discussion.
>
> If Bert hadn't suggested your nickname refers to a
> scifi overload (i.e. a character from a science fiction
> novel), then I'd have guessed it was a character from
> a children's video game.
>
> I think this is the first time I've seen a "real" name
> attached to the Lord_ZealoN nickname. Didn't you find it
> odd that responses to your postings had addressed you
> as "Lord". Anyways, I don't think Bert was poking fun,
> rather he was pointing out the irony that you were arguing
> for Squeak to be taken seriously, yet the only name we
> knew you by was Lord_ZealoN, which doesn't leave an
> impression of seriousness.
>
> Anyways, welcome to the Squeak community. I'm happy
> to see your reports about running Squeak on PDAs.

Then I will use this mail for the list.

Cheers.

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Bert Freudenberg
Am 16.10.2006 um 20:51 schrieb Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz:

>> Lord ZealoN wrote:
>> > Giuseppe Luigi Punzi is my real name, you can to make fun about
>> it too.
>> >
>> > But I think my nick/name is not important in this discussion.
>>
>> If Bert hadn't suggested your nickname refers to a
>> scifi overload (i.e. a character from a science fiction
>> novel), then I'd have guessed it was a character from
>> a children's video game.
>>
>> I think this is the first time I've seen a "real" name
>> attached to the Lord_ZealoN nickname. Didn't you find it
>> odd that responses to your postings had addressed you
>> as "Lord". Anyways, I don't think Bert was poking fun,
>> rather he was pointing out the irony that you were arguing
>> for Squeak to be taken seriously, yet the only name we
>> knew you by was Lord_ZealoN, which doesn't leave an
>> impression of seriousness.
>>
>> Anyways, welcome to the Squeak community. I'm happy
>> to see your reports about running Squeak on PDAs.
>>

> Then I will use this mail for the list.

Much better :) Nice to meet you, Giuseppe. (really, that sounds
different)

I admit I was poking fun at you a little. Now if I could convince the
folks in IRC to at least use nicks resembling real names ... but I
guess that's futile.

- Bert -

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 16.10.2006 um 20:51 schrieb Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz:
> >> Lord ZealoN wrote:
> > Then I will use this mail for the list.
>
> Much better :) Nice to meet you, Giuseppe. (really, that sounds
> different)

I concur - much better. :) Perhaps some of us are a bit "old fashioned"
- but I personally really like real names and real faces.

And I really intend to try cleaning up SM in this regard, not sure when
or how though.

regards, Göran

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:19:25PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Now if I could convince the  folks in IRC to at least use
> nicks resembling real names ... but I  guess that's futile.

You can usually summon someone's real name by doing a /whois on
them.

Matthew Fulmer

Am 16.10.2006 um 22:03 schrieb Matthew Fulmer:

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:19:25PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Now if I could convince the  folks in IRC to at least use
>> nicks resembling real names ... but I  guess that's futile.
>
> You can usually summon someone's real name by doing a /whois on
> them.

I know, and I do, and some even have their real name set, but I still
can't remember the nicks, and I still am too lazy to do this for
every nick I don't recognize. Perhaps it's because I only drop by now
and then.

Sure, I can understand people choosing funny nicks when role-playing
in MUDs (used to do that, too, as a student, with too much time), but
in IRC I assume they're not role-playing most of the time, at least
on #squeak.

- Bert -

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Yann Monclair-2
Well you get known going by your nickname and it's not worth the change.
I've been hanging on freenode before going to #squeak as sc0tty, I use
yann for #smalltalk; but I kept sc0tty for the other servers, it's just
so much easier.

The /whois isn't always a good bet, since some people don't change their
info ( the too well known I'm too lame to read bitchx doc ...)

Yann aka sc0tty ;)

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 16.10.2006 um 22:03 schrieb Matthew Fulmer:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:19:25PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> Now if I could convince the  folks in IRC to at least use
>>> nicks resembling real names ... but I  guess that's futile.
>>
>> You can usually summon someone's real name by doing a /whois on
>> them.
>
> I know, and I do, and some even have their real name set, but I still
> can't remember the nicks, and I still am too lazy to do this for every
> nick I don't recognize. Perhaps it's because I only drop by now and then.
>
> Sure, I can understand people choosing funny nicks when role-playing in
> MUDs (used to do that, too, as a student, with too much time), but in
> IRC I assume they're not role-playing most of the time, at least on
> #squeak.
>
> - Bert -

Re: [OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Jason Yates
I'm a relative newcomer to the Squeak community, by newcomer I mean a
couple of weeks.  I've procrastinated on learning Smalltalk for
sometime now.  However with Seaside, I got the right nudge pushing me
over the procrastination edge.  Without Seaside I may have never taken
the plunge.  I doubt I am the first one Seaside has pushed or will I
be the last.  So hopefully the Squeak community will take Seaside's
popularity as an opportunity.

I've enjoyed reading people comments.  It seems many good ideas
abound.  In the past week, I've also browsed through the mailing list
archives; and, it seems most of these "issues" have been brought up
before.  As an outsider, the whole community seems stuck on the word
"go".  Maybe a quick fix or at least a slow start, would be to copy
what the Mozilla project is doing for Firefox 3.

http://wiki.mozilla.org./Firefox/Feature_Brainstorming

Getting the community brainstorming, on how to enhance the user
experience in Squeak, is a good thing.

Also a few people have mentioned Squeak being seen as a toy.  In the
end, I don't think it really matters either way.  It is just the wrong
argument.  Improvements to the Squeak UI and Morphic, which are VERY
out of date to current UI standards, will benefit all.  Toy or not.

--
Jason Yates

Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Lothar Schenk
Ramon Leon wrote:

> From what I can
> tell, things like Squeak tend to grow by evolution, not revolution.

Let's not forget that evolution kills a lot of its experiments on a regular
basis.

Regards, Lothar

Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Ramon Leon-4
>>From what I can
>>tell, things like Squeak tend to grow by evolution, not revolution.
>

> Let's not forget that evolution kills a lot of its experiments on a regular
> basis.
>
> Regards, Lothar

Let's not personify nature, as if it had intent.  Evolution kills
nothing, experiments simply fail to survive, there is a difference.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Tweak UI pluggability [Was: Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")]

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2006 October 15 07:08, Lord ZealoN wrote:
<<snip>>

> I think, the problem is not only about morphic as is. The problem is a
> GUI building. Something like Matisse (NetBeans 5), would be great.

I ment to ask this for a long time, but did not know how to without bringing
the J-word. Once we did :) my fear is gone (ok just kidding, on to the
question) : Basically, Java Swing has something they call "L&F pluggability",
essentially extension points that allow to create new L&F (not only skins).
(I think it was devised from older Smalltalk UI ideas but not sure).

While I am not sure how good or useful the "pluggable L&F" of Swing it is in
practice, as I remember reading to achieve Mac L&F, Apple added something
like 1500 classes, and when NetBeans implemented Vista L&F, it took a whole
release, it is a interesting path that allows cross-platform UI along with
somewhat native-looking abilities without native widgets, which is an
approach I like.

Although I did not have time to play with it too much, I love Tweak, so it is
without knowledge: Has Tweak widgets been built with a similar "L&F
pluggability" intended, and if so are there some simple examples to play
with?

Thanks Milan

RE: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

J J-6
>From: "Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]>
>To: "'The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list'"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: RE: Serious Squeak (other "survey")
>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:00:04 -0400
>
>All,
>
>If anyone says that the UI is fine for business development I disagree.
>Although it is very cool for games, research, and toys!
>
>I would agree that business development (not windows development but
>business development) may only be 10% of the community but I suggest that
>we
>should consider if that is a limiting factor instead of a virtue.

I agree that business needs to be a big priority.  After all, it has really
been business that has driven the successful open source projects (well most
of them).

But I still maintain that the web is the GUI for business applications.  For
one thing, how do you deploy a native squeak app anyway?  The way Dolphin
does it is by stripping out all the un-needed parts, packaging the "non-app
related but needed" things into DLL's and then turning it into an exe.  But
as far as I know squeak doesn't have a stripper like that, and I would
expect it to be years away.

But you can have a seaside app up and doing work for your business in
literally minutes, depending on what you want to do.  As a matter of fact, I
would be willing to bet that with the persistancy work Keith has been doing,
you can go from nothing at all to a functioning Content management system in
squeak faster then any other system out there.

Not to mention the fact that in my company (and I would expect this of any
company of size) it is a big deal to roll a desktop application out.  Every
release has to go through rigerous testing, the Q&A group, possibly an after
hours deployment, etc. etc.  But a new website I can just put up.  And then
*everyone* has it.  That is a pretty big advantage.

RE: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

J J-6
>From: "Ramon Leon" <[hidden email]>
>To: "'The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list'"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: RE: Serious Squeak (other "survey")
>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:52:01 -0700
>
> > Then, my point is that really don't feel that nothing must be
> > changed, because Squeakers can develop any sort of app, from
> > web to desktop (from wxWindows to Morphic).
> >

>Personally, I don't think morphic is that bad, skinned right, it can be
>fairly nice looking and pretty usable, the real problem is the single host
>window isolating it from the rest of the OS windows.  I haven't tried
>wxWindows because I don't build desktop apps, I may give it a try soon.

As always, I am missing messages and I missed your first one.  If you were
refering to anything I said, then let me respond:  I don't believe web 2.0
should replace the desktop entirely.  Of course I still plan to use Morphic
or whatever to develop and would always want that.  But as a developer it
doesn't matter what I see.  Only to me.  But for my users, the best, easiest
way is just the web I think.  For most things.  Not all of course.

1234