Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

12

Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Dmitri Zagidulin
This is in the same vein as Sean's recent 'Clean up Download Instructions' email.

While updating the Pharo By Example chapter on installing Pharo, we decided to mention the Pharo Launcher project as a convenient way to use multiple images, etc.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the download link for it is:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher/PHARO=40,VERSION=stable,VM=vm,label=linux/

(And even then, you have to scroll down to the tiny 'Last Successful Artifacts' section).

That's a bit awkward to put in a book for people to type out, to say the least.

Is there any way we can either:

1) Use an existing URL shortener to link to that
2) Have some Apache-redirected URLs off of pharo.org? Something like pharo.org/launcher/ that would have the download links to the various Launcher builds?

The same also goes for some of the books, by the way. In a later chapter, we link to Pharo for the Enterprise, and we actually type out the link:

Sub-optimal. :)

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

stepharo
Having launcher.pharo.org would be cool.
Now I do not know how to do such binding.

Le 10/4/15 18:41, Dmitri Zagidulin a écrit :
[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
The Launcher artifacts are mirrored at http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/. Maybe we should do the same with the book(s)?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Dmitri Zagidulin
That would be great (if we could do the same with the books).

The files link, http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/, is much better than the ci link. Though even there, glancing at the contents, I wouldn't know which Launcher file to pick as a new user. Do I use user-stable? user-0.2.4? What OS are these for? etc.
Can we make it even easier?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
> Unfortunately, as far as I know, the download link for it is:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher/PHARO=40,VERSION=stable,VM=vm,label=linux/

The Launcher artifacts are mirrored at
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/. Maybe we should do the same with
the book(s)?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
Do I use user-stable? user-0.2.4? What OS are these for? etc.
Those are just the Launcher image and changes file

Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
Can we make it even easier?
The files you want are latest.dmg and latest.exe.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Dmitri Zagidulin
The files you want are latest.dmg and latest.exe.

Perfect! :) Thanks Sean.

(And, just for completeness, is there a pre-built launcher for Linux (Ubuntu or otherwise)?)

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
> Do I use user-stable? user-0.2.4? What OS are these for? etc.

Those are just the Launcher image and changes file

Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
> Can we make it even easier?

The files you want are latest.dmg and latest.exe.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
Perfect! :) Thanks Sean.
No problem! I'm glad you got what you needed :)

Dmitri Zagidulin wrote
(And, just for completeness, is there a pre-built launcher for Linux
(Ubuntu or otherwise)?)
I was wondering that while browsing through the files. From https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher/39/PHARO=40,VERSION=stable,VM=vm,label=linux/ it doesn't look like it, but if you install Pharo via the Ubuntu ppa (see http://pharo.org/download), Launcher is what you get.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Damien Cassou

Dmitri Zagidulin <[hidden email]> writes:

> (And, just for completeness, is there a pre-built launcher for Linux
> (Ubuntu or otherwise)?)

on Linux, users typically want packages through their
distribution-specific mechanism. This is already possible on Gentoo,
Ubuntu and Nix.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
This is already possible on Gentoo... and Nix.
What are the instructions? To be added to http://pharo.org/download ...
Cheers,
Sean

Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:

> Damien Cassou wrote
>> This is already possible on Gentoo... and Nix.
>
> What are the instructions? To be added to http://pharo.org/download ...

I'm not sure we should pollute the Pharo website with instructions that
should be known by the user. For example, Gentoo users know how to
install packages on Gentoo hopefully. We can however add a sentence
saying that there are dedicated packages for these platforms.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

demarey

Le 13 avr. 2015 à 14:00, Damien Cassou a écrit :

> Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Damien Cassou wrote
>>> This is already possible on Gentoo... and Nix.
>>
>> What are the instructions? To be added to http://pharo.org/download ...
>

> I'm not sure we should pollute the Pharo website with instructions that
> should be known by the user. For example, Gentoo users know how to
> install packages on Gentoo hopefully. We can however add a sentence
> saying that there are dedicated packages for these platforms.
I would like to have these instructions because they could be different from a version of your distribution to another.
It is always better to have the full documentation instead of relying on people knowledge.
Maybe it should not be on the default download page but the information should be available easily.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
It is always better to have the full documentation instead of relying on people knowledge.
For example, Ruby gives a one-liner for each package manager https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/installation/
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

EstebanLM

On 13 Apr 2015, at 13:57, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

demarey wrote
It is always better to have the full documentation instead of relying on
people knowledge.

For example, Ruby gives a one-liner for each package manager
https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/installation/

yes, but ruby has also lot more resources :)
I wanted (and still want) to use this: http://openbuildservice.org
to produce packages for all available distributions, but sadly I did not have the time to sit and learn it.

if someone already knows it and wants to do some remote pair programming with me… I would be really grateful :)

Esteban

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
yes, but ruby has also lot more resources :)
Of course, not complaining, just pointing to an example...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
>>> This is already possible on Gentoo... and Nix.
It is always better to have the full documentation instead of relying on people knowledge.
Yes, I did not even know we had these. What do they download? Launcher? VM + image? VM-only?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I did not even know we had these
I even searched the ml archive for "Gentoo" and did not find a single reference to a package!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Damien Cassou

Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:

> demarey wrote
>> It is always better to have the full documentation instead of relying on
>> people knowledge.
>
> Yes, I did not even know we had these. What do they download? Launcher? VM +
> image? VM-only?

each package maintainer decide what to package. For Ubuntu and Nix, the
Pharo VM and launcher are provided as 2 separate packages.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
each package maintainer decide what to package. For Ubuntu and Nix, the
Pharo VM and launcher are provided as 2 separate packages.
Thanks for the clarification! Where are the Nix and Gentoo infrastructure hosted? I think we should collect all of these things under github/pharo
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Shorter Pharo Launcher download link

Damien Cassou-2

Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for the clarification! Where are the Nix and Gentoo infrastructure
> hosted? I think we should collect all of these things under github/pharo

for Nix, this is in the nixpkgs repository:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/development/pharo

for Gentoo, it seems that several people contributed several recipes. I
put JC on CC so he can tell more.