Smalltalk Argument

12345

Re: Smalltalk Argument

philippeback
Pharo can read Avro when this will be UFFI'ed

But that is eminently doable.

Phiil

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 7:13 PM, henry <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have heard this summarized by the term: "build it and they will come". I think the data visualization aspect is where Pharo entering BigData space could really payoff. That comes down to data manipulation. Can Pharo read Avro?

- HH

Thanks a lot Paulo for starting this thread and all the participants for the clever and enlightening answers. I just want to add my two cents. On 26/10/17 07:53, Dimitris Chloupis wrote: > > My personal opinion is that as pessimistic it may sound, Smalltalk has > very little to offer in the library front. The language is still > stellar and live environment is a great concept but from there on > there is a decline. Sure if your are low demand kind of person on the > library front and dont mind implementing stuff by yourself you wont > mind the lack of libraries but most coders , me included , dont have > this luxury. Especially making a living with a language is a > completely different story from learning it as a hobby,  > > I think and that's a personal opinion, that Smalltalk goes the wrong > direction. It tries to be a do it all language, but we already have an > army of do it all languages. I think it would excel as the backbone in > big complex projects. Like the Moose project is doing with code > analysis and visualization. I think this is an excellent direction to > go with Smalltalk. Reflection is the big strength of Smalltalk the > ability to communicate with its code in a direct matter. So I think > that a Smalltalk implementation that can analyze and visualize code > written in other languages would have been a pretty serious reason for > people to learn Smalltalk.  > > I am very happy to see Pharo go towards that direction and yes I would > definitely recommend it without hesitation  for code analysis and > project management tool. Its no coincidence that we have seen a > serious growth in our community. When I joined back in 2011 we all > were posting at pharo-dev, pharo-users was a dead zone and then the > community grow larger and larger we soon may need a third mailing list.  > > Code complexity is an issues for all large projects and tools that > help manage this without having to convert to another language are > very popular. About finding  niche where you can learn Pharo and make a living from it, I think that I may be behind a sweet spot in the field of reproducible research and data storytelling and visualization, for different fields like activism, journalism, science and engineering. I'm "working in my PhD", so I don't get paid for using Pharo & friends (well if fact I'm in a loan to finish my PhD), but using Pharo have allowed my to get more dynamic results that with previous technologies (mostly Python and Web ones). By being able to prototype quickly I have improved my research experience and results, which is a way to improve research (self) funding. Also, activists, journalist, researchers and other novices interested in data storytelling and visualization, care little about popularity of the language or being able to make apps (mobile or web). What they care is about being able to tell the story and Pharo, agile visualization and moldable tools, have a lot to offer in this front. They're easy to learn and to adapt to fit the needs of the problems behind those stories, as we have done with Grafoscopio[1]. So, is nice to be part of a "trend", (data science, reproducible research, data storytelling and data visualization) but not being part of one that doesn't give you the freedom to use tools that matter to you, because of the ideas they embody and the added value they create for you and your community. [1] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html Also, being in Latin America, means that we can bootstrap ourselves into alternative futures by using alternative (digital) infrastructures and tools, without to much worry about the deep investments in money and/or expertise on bloated/popular technologies (we don't have such investments here!). We can learn from the experience of the "Global North", without following that path, but by taking a critical approach to it (for example regarding overcomplex, non-dynamic, bloated technologies). On the community front, I think is important to do something to break the circular logic of popularity: Smalltalk is unpopular, so we don't get developers, so we don't have libraries, and this makes such tech unpopular. We're a nascent community of data storytellers and activists learning how to use Pharo to tell our voices and how to modify the tools to tell them in more potent/fluid ways. We have done this mostly by ourselves, without any support from industry or government and mostly none from academy. Despite of the fragility of our hackerspace[2], this has been done in a consistent way since almost two years[3] (I started to learn Pharo, in a sparse way, 3 years ago). So, there are ways to break the circular logic and bootstrap communities around the advantages of the Pharo/Smalltalk environment in places where it can be aligned to the trends but also take a critical approach to them by providing added value. [2] http://hackbo.co/ [3] http://mutabit.com/dataweek/ So finding a niche and bootstrapping tools and communities in it, seems a way to deploy the Smalltalk Argument by example into the world, which is a pretty powerful way to argument against skeptics. Cheers, Offray

Re: Smalltalk Argument

henry
How could I get started documenting my components with Grafoscopio? I am interested in learning.

I just got ASN.1 lengths right, in Java. I am looking to Pharo and Java with an encrypted connection between them.

- HH

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 16:59, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <offray.luna@...> wrote:

Well is more "build and they will come, if you build also a community who will come", which is hard, but data storytelling and visualization as filed and dynamic moldable tools give us a advantage point to tackle such hard problems.

Cheers,

Offray

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 14:00, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas < offray.luna@...> wrote:
[...]

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Read the User Manual [1] to install it and learn the basics of its workings. Once you have created your first document or hit the first bump, ask on this list. I will be around ;-).

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/Books/Manual/manual.pdf

Cheers,

Offray

On 29/10/17 13:13, henry wrote:
[...]

Hans
Hi all,

an argument for Smalltalk, an discussion coming up many times in my history.
It is also something I'm asking myself from time to time. It is very actual
in the moment.

Many good arguments were mentioned this discussion. I want to provide you my
2 cents on this.

First, I'm taking the view of an hobby enthusiast. That's were I started.
All the time I was excited by the Smalltalk concept. Live debugging, VM
system, the possibility to look at and understand every code from systems
completely new to me was so great. No installation, and nice people in the
community. Conclusion: I want to do all in Smalltalk. Elegance is what rules
only.

Now, I'm in the perspective of an employed software developer. Everywhere
that crazy C++, sometimes Fortran or C. Delphi.  The people told "that's
old, that was the beginning years ago, that is given,  we have nothing
else". And we have no time to redesign or port to something better, so fate
catched us and we have to continue on the road to hell..... Most of my life
colleagues were physicists who learned C++ for its thesis, or engineers of
the embedded domain. No or only a few computer scientists. The rule now on
these days: get ready, it should work somehow, costs. Elegance or sound
design is no value. Not at this time.  SW is just a part of my component as
any screw and nail too.

Continuing as a team leader. My goal is to fit budget. I have some time, and
I have some people in the team. And I have to report and sell to my manager
above me. I'm looking for get the job done, but I have also some strategic
view. I've read some articles about this new .Net, with big potential, many
libraries. Easy Web. Web is the future. I ask my team how to solve the task.
Ony guy talks about Pearl. I hat Pearl. Another colleagues tells something
about Smalltalk. Never heared of it, I ask if this is compatible to .Net....
My rules of success are in what I belief - and what can I sell to my big
boss. And I belief only what I see...

I could continue this. My point is: the Smalltalk Argument is depending on
the perspective. And therefore, to communicate and argue about Smalltalk is
what the receiver of the argument needs. Superiour technique can be an
argument, but not always. Missing developer can be an argument, but not in
every company and every project.

My personal conclusion and look to Smalltalk is this:

- for my soul which want to  bring science and technology to the future, I
look at the elegance and power of Smalltalk. That's why I'm looking at
TeaTime and OpenCroquet again in the age of AR.
- if I want to learn from top coders, the way of developing in Smalltalk
(live debugging)
- if I want to get a job done (for example a web site), I'm looking what the
world offers me. And it may not be Smalltalk. In my current work, Game
Engines matter. So coding a Game Engine in Smalltalk ? May be, but there are
a lot of good products already...

Having said that, the Smalltalk Argument has to sides, and they have both
their value:
- Smalltalk as an technique, as a matter of research and getting things
better, an philosophy
- Smalltalk as a product for people who want things get done.

My personal opinion is that sometimes the point Smalltalk (or better now:
Pharo) as a product is not so much in concern as it could. Pharo evolved
wonderfully, the consortium and the organisation and the community have the
right direction, yes. But as an industrial user of software I only can hope:
keep the Smalltalk as a Product in the same focus as Smalltalk as the better
technology. And product means: look at the needs the product is indented
for, look at the "market". What are the problems out there ? If you can fit
the needs, and provide a productive and integrable technology, you need no
argument for Smalltalk.

Off topic: thanks for the big effort of the community, it is really really
fun today to work on and with Pharo. Much happend, and much is possible ;)

Cheers

Hans

Re: Smalltalk Argument

jtuchel
Peter,

our mail provider decided to move all of the pharo mailing list messages to the spam folder, so I haven't seen many messages in the last days. I was already starting to wonder why nobody ever answered my posts ;-)

Your smalltalk express idea sounds interesting. I look forward to trying it.

Joachim

Am 20.10.17 um 16:21 schrieb Peter Fisk:
Thank you Joachim!

That is the most honest assessment of the situation of Smalltalk in 2017 that I have ever seen.

And I agree with you 100%.

We need a new Smalltalk which is both "cool" and can seamlessly integrate with all of the latest web technologies.

I will be releasing a new Smalltalk framework very shortly called "Smalltalk Express".

The interpreter is written in the "Go" language and can run on all of the major web platforms such as Google, Heroku, etc.

I use Pharo to manage the Smalltalk code.

Here is a new blog that I have started to discuss the project.

Also, I have reserved the web address "smalltalk.express" for use once the code goes live.

There is a video in the blog post so you can get an idea of where things stand right now.

-- Peter

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:23 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
First of all: I'd say the question itself is not a question but an excuse. I am not arguing there are enough Smalltalkers or cheap ones. But I think the question is just a way of saying "we don't want to do it for reasons that we ourselves cannot really express". If you are a good developer, learning Smalltalk is easy. If you are a good developer you've heard the sentence "we've taken the goos parts from x,y,z and Smalltalk" at least twice a year. So you most likely would like to learn it anyways.

A shortage of developers doesn't exist. What exists is an unwillingness of companies to get people trained in a technology. If Smalltalk was cool and great in their opinion, they wouldn't care. It's that simple. As a consultant, I've heard that argument so often. Not ferom Startups, but from insurance companies, Banks or Car manufacturers who spend millions on useless, endless meetings and stuff instead of just hiring somebody to teach a couple of developers Smalltalk. It's just a lie: the shortage of Smalltalk developers is not a problem.

And, to be honest: what is it we actually are better in by using Smalltalk?
Can we build cool looking web apps in extremely short time? No.
Can we build mobile Apps with little effort? No.
Does our Smalltalk ship lots of great libraries for all kinds of things that are not availabel in similar quality in any other language?
Are we lying when we say we are so extremely over-productive as compared to other languages?

I know, all that live debugging stuff and such is great and it is much faster to find & fix a bug in Smalltalk than in any other environment I've used so far. But that is really only true for business code. When I need to connect to things or want to build a modern GUI or a web application with a great look&feel, I am nowhere near productive, because I simply have to build my own stuff or learn how to use other external resources. If I want to build something for a mobile device, I will only hear that somebody somewhere has done it before. No docs, no proof, no ready-made tool for me.

Shortage of developers is not really the problem. If Smalltalk was as cool as we like to make ourselves believe, this problem would be non-existent. If somebody took out their iPad and told an audience: "We did this in Smalltalk in 40% of the time it would have taken in Swift", and if that something was a must-have for people, things would be much easier. But nobody has.

I am absolutely over-exaggerating, because I make my living with an SaaS product written in Smalltalk (not Pharo). I have lots of fun with Smalltalk and - as you - am convince that many parts of what we've done so far would've taken much longer or even be impossible in other languages. But the advantage was eaten by our extremely steep learning curve for web technologies and for building something that works almost as well as tools like Angular or jQuery Mobile.

Smalltalk is cool, and the day somebody shows me something like Google's flutter in Smalltalk, I am ready to bet a lot on a bright future for Smalltalk. But until then, I'd say these arguments about productivity are just us trying to make ourselves believe we're still the top of the food chain. We've done that for almost thirty years now and still aren't ready to stop it. But we've been lying to ourselves and still do so.

I don't think there is a point in discussing about the usefulness of a language using an argument like the number or ready-made developers. That is just an argument they know you can't win. The real question is and should be: what is the benefit of using Smalltalk. Our productivity argument is a lie as soon as we have to build something that uses or runs on technology that has been invented after 1990.

Okay, shoot ;-)

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: <a href="tel:%2B49%207141%2056%2010%2086%200" value="+4971415610860" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%207141%2056%2010%2086%201" value="+4971415610861" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+49 7141 56 10 86 1

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          [hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: Smalltalk Argument

jtuchel

Phil,

Am 26.10.17 um 08:17 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Now we miss the boat on mobile and bigdata, but this is solvable.

You know, "It's solvable, and it's even easy in Smalltalk" has been what
we've been shouting down at those worms in the C++/Java swamp for
decades. We just never really proved it. We also missed the boat on web.
Seaside was the last real innovation in that field, almost 15 years ago.
When Javascript took over the frontend, we lost pace.

> If we had an open Java bridge (and some people in the community have
> it for Pharo but do not open source it - so this is eminently doable)
> + Pharo as an embeddable piece (e.g. like Tcl and Lua) and not a big
> executable we would have a way to embed Pharo in a lot of places (e.g.
> in the Hadoop ecosystem where fast starting VMs and small footprint
> would make the cluster capacity x2 or x3 vs uberjars all over the
> place)  this would be a real disruption.

To it sounds like a big ball of mud to me, but that is opinion ;-)

> Think about being able to call Pharo from JNA
> https://github.com/java-native-access/jna the same way we use C with UFFI.
>
> Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even
> fun and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Yep. As long as there is no mobile, web or big data involved ;-) To me
that is not enough for convincing project managers these days, because
web, mobile and big data as well ass AI (oh, is that probably no. 4 on
our list of missed boats?) are the topics of what we consider
future-proof projects... I am not only dissing the Pharo community here,
this is a problem for all Smalltalk vendors in my opinion.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: Smalltalk Argument

kilon.alios
Another way of promoting Pharo is copying its advantages to other languages. The ideal way is for people to get straight to Pharo and fall in love with it. But sometimes this may be possible for several reasons. The most usual being that people simple are not in the mood of learning a new language unless they have to. As the saying goes "People love progress , its just that they equally hate change"

Introducing similar features to another language, like I did with introducing live coding enviroment to Python with direct reference back to Pharo is a very good way to promote the language. Just because you cannot code in Pharo at your work does not mean you cannot code the Pharo way. Just put a huge tag in your documentation, comments and anywhere you mention your code "inspired by Pharo ( https://pharo.org)" and you will get their attention whether they like the idea of learning a new language or not.

Its like watching an ad, using sex, humour and even unrelated stuff to grab your attention to a product. The idea here is to get the attention, once you do that, the rest follows.

A huge problem with Smalltalk in general is that even though every language, enviroment, tool, IDE has been copying it , it is rarely mentioned. If it did , I have no doubt it would have been masively more popular than it is right now.

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 9:22 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Phil,

Am 26.10.17 um 08:17 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Now we miss the boat on mobile and bigdata, but this is solvable.

You know, "It's solvable, and it's even easy in Smalltalk" has been what
we've been shouting down at those worms in the C++/Java swamp for
decades. We just never really proved it. We also missed the boat on web.
Seaside was the last real innovation in that field, almost 15 years ago.
When Javascript took over the frontend, we lost pace.

> If we had an open Java bridge (and some people in the community have
> it for Pharo but do not open source it - so this is eminently doable)
> + Pharo as an embeddable piece (e.g. like Tcl and Lua) and not a big
> executable we would have a way to embed Pharo in a lot of places (e.g.
> in the Hadoop ecosystem where fast starting VMs and small footprint
> would make the cluster capacity x2 or x3 vs uberjars all over the
> place)  this would be a real disruption.

To it sounds like a big ball of mud to me, but that is opinion ;-)

> Think about being able to call Pharo from JNA
> https://github.com/java-native-access/jna the same way we use C with UFFI.
>
> Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even
> fun and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Yep. As long as there is no mobile, web or big data involved ;-) To me
that is not enough for convincing project managers these days, because
web, mobile and big data as well ass AI (oh, is that probably no. 4 on
our list of missed boats?) are the topics of what we consider
future-proof projects... I am not only dissing the Pharo community here,
this is a problem for all Smalltalk vendors in my opinion.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: Smalltalk Argument

aglynn42

Btw, I think we gained pace when JS took over the front end, but lost visibility.  Nothing is slower than coding a client/server app with the front end in JS. The ‘rise’ of JS is a side effect of the fact that the web was designed, built and continues to be built by ‘coders’ who don’t know enough to be called amateurs.

What puts 'coders’ off though is related to way JS is and (mostly doesn’t) work.  You can’t just sit down and ‘hack on’ Smalltalk until it ‘sorta kinda’ does what you want.  You can’t grab code from some random website and ‘fiddle with it’ until it ‘sorta kinda’ works. ‘Coders’ can’t make it ‘sorta kinda’ work, and they don’t know how to write code that works.

One of the better JS programmers I’ve worked with said at one point “Engineers can’t write JavaScript because it doesn’t fit their mentality.  I used to be a retoucher, I’d spend hours and hours getting one pixel right.  There’s no good reason that one pixel had to be that way, but the image didn’t ‘go’ otherwise. JavaScript is like that, you spend hours and hours messing with it, getting it to work, and at the end you don’t know why it works, nor why it didn’t.  That’s not an engineer’s mindset.”

Do aviation engineers choose tools based on ‘popularity’? At the same time, would you want your next flight to be on an aircraft running on JavaScript?  I wouldn’t eat from a microwave running JavaScript.

I’d rather be an engineer than a popularity contestant or a fashion victim.

In any case, more often than not it’s management that chooses technologies, generally based on who they have lunch with more than anything else.

Andrew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> [...]

> Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even
> fun and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Yep. As long as there is no mobile, web or big data involved ;-) To me
that is not enough for convincing project managers these days, because
web, mobile and big data as well ass AI (oh, is that probably no. 4 on
our list of missed boats?) are the topics of what we consider
future-proof projects... I am not only dissing the Pharo community here,
this is a problem for all Smalltalk vendors in my opinion.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

all people like popular choices, including engineers.

Engineers may be more careful but they are not known exactly for their talent to innovate.

We are pact animals, we are social animals.

This is far from a coding problem, its pretty much coded right inside our DNA, not just for us but also for any other animal.

And we have our trends too, our resistance to git is an excellent example. A general fixation of avoiding files and especially text files. The unreasonable argument that you need an image to preserve a live coding enviroment. The idea that just because you have access to the complete source code , life becomes easier for some weird way as if people are likely to mess with the internals of a system. That for some weird reason you cannot have access to source code in other languages or that is hard to do so. The notion that live coding is only possible or only easy in Smalltalk. That reimplementing everything in Smalltalk is a great idea. That minimal syntax equals softer learning curve. That Smalltalk is the only sensible way of doing OOP.

Finally but not least, "Alan Kay is god".

People love to stick to their beliefs (me included) and not feel comfortable questioning them. It's no surpise it tooks us hundrends of thousands of years to get to this point.

JS is chosen as a language for the same reason its so hated, its third party libraries. As coders we have to rely a lot more to libraries than we have to rely on languages. Sure a language can solve many potential problem but a powerful library support can practically give you code on a plate. Hence also why JS is practically non existant outside web dev and that is pretty rare for a language.

So sure popularity plays a major role but in the end the preference for JS is not insanity, its the right choice for what it focuses on. A difficult/ not that well designed language + big library support will always be easier to use than a super ease elegant language without such big library support. The time when we were relying on our code and our own libraries has passed long time ago.

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:37 AM Andrew Glynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even
> fun and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Yep. As long as there is no mobile, web or big data involved ;-) To me
that is not enough for convincing project managers these days, because
web, mobile and big data as well ass AI (oh, is that probably no. 4 on
our list of missed boats?) are the topics of what we consider
future-proof projects... I am not only dissing the Pharo community here,
this is a problem for all Smalltalk vendors in my opinion.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Hi Dimitris,

you have pointed out some good thoughts.

However, for me any technical thing can have two aspects:

- solve a problem, provide a product which has value (for get things done)
- take the concepts (of applied technics and computer science forward)

For me, both things are important. Experience from doing gives new impulses for better concepts, better concepts may help to solve unsolvable problems.

I like your example of libraries. Yes, I think too reinventing everything is not necessary. But I believe libraries as „live“ objects providing protocol and capabilities would be an important improvement. For me, Morphic in it’s essence could be great for the AR world to come.

So in principle I agree with you, but I hope that we not stop to search also for better concepts in a world, where privacy and self will is called in the age of big data and AI. Just my personal view 😇

Cheers

Hans

Am 06.11.2017 um 11:28 schrieb Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

> Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even
> fun and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Yep. As long as there is no mobile, web or big data involved ;-) To me
that is not enough for convincing project managers these days, because
web, mobile and big data as well ass AI (oh, is that probably no. 4 on
our list of missed boats?) are the topics of what we consider
future-proof projects... I am not only dissing the Pharo community here,
this is a problem for all Smalltalk vendors in my opinion.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Engineers don’t innovate often in core technologies, because they’re careful.

Of course that also means they generally make terrible marketers 😊

They also don’t generally compete, which is part of the problem in this industry.  The semiconductor industry, for instance, provides money to an independent institute, ISMI, that advances the core technologies they all use.

We do love shiny new toys though, that’s half the reason we became engineers.

You don’t ‘need’ an image by any means, but the fact that my live coding environments in Eclipse have been running, hiding behind modal dialogs, for 332, 468, and 992 hours respectively, due to constantly comparison between in-memory data and on-disk data combined with a crappy eventing model, implies that it’s at the very least much easier.  Granted they’re building parts of a huge program, an ERP, and using JPA with it.  Still, I have 3  Eclipse environments on 3 Sun servers with 64 threads each that have been untouchable for many days.

Smalltalk is ‘a’ way, a way that doesn’t have the massive discrepancies between its syntactical appearance and dynamic implementation that C++ and Java suffer from, discrepancies that dynamically propagate depending on different libraries, frameworks, internal system states and external environments.

Python is another way, it has plenty of strengths.  Its weakness is that it doesn’t scale in terms of either data size or complexity.  Odoo is a great case, most usable ERP out there for the end user, but if you try to run more than a few of the 40 odd modules it craps out.  Largely that’s lack of time or investment, if you haven’t the latter, you need the former.  IMO Python is closer to Smalltalk than GNU Smalltalk.

But why compete?  Where Python has strengths I use it, where there are reliable, stable technologies in Java I use them (Synapse and JINI are two main ones).  If I have to do work in a browser I have to write JS, I just don’t try to do things it’s not reliably capable of.  If I’m using ACT-R for modeling, I use LISP, for Wordnet I use Prolog.

Writing any language in another, especially a language like C, is not going to work well in the long term, because while writing the language, one can’t be in that language’s proper mindset.  As a result Ruby looks like Smalltalk but works like Java, except a Java without the massive investment that make actual Java somewhat reliable.

Funny you mentioned Alan Kay, given I had a disagreement with him last night. His argument was that we need to think beyond Smalltalk, beyond anything out there at the moment. My argument was that we haven’t yet caught up to Smalltalk, never mind LISP, and that despite nearly everything we use having originated in those, most don’t even recognize it. We’re nowhere near ready for a new paradigm when we haven’t digested the old one yet.

It was a polite disagreement. Nevertheless, AFAIK only God is God, and I don’t speak with him personally all that regularly 😉.

Pharo is far from the Smallltalk I began with in ’88.  Morphic is well beyond MVC and the improvements to it, combined with the things built on it, are keys to why I use Pharo. The JIT compiler is a another big improvement, which originated with Strongtalk - the PoC for the Java JIT compiler written by Sun.

But when my first language, Forth, is still better than 90% of the ‘new’ languages out there, using those new languages as core technologies is problematic.

New is better only if its actually better.

> [...]

> Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even
> fun and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Yep. As long as there is no mobile, web or big data involved ;-) To me
that is not enough for convincing project managers these days, because
web, mobile and big data as well ass AI (oh, is that probably no. 4 on
our list of missed boats?) are the topics of what we consider
future-proof projects... I am not only dissing the Pharo community here,
this is a problem for all Smalltalk vendors in my opinion.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Peter Fisk

https://youtu.be/S4E4tW0deIg

Hello Joachim,

This is my first post since 2017-10-20, so that may explain some of the missing replies ;).

​Smalltalk Express is syntax compatible with Pharo although much of the class structure is very different because of the foundation technologies. I will add a blog post soon to explain the differences.

Above is an image and a short video showing a test of the desktop version with some animations.

In the next few days, I hope to have another demo ready of Smalltalk running inside a Facebook page.
Once that is working, I can use the Google server to connect client game apps using sockets.

We all know that Smalltalk is a great language.

If we can make it available where people spend their time (Facebook, Google), I am sure that it
will become popular again.

Maybe we can even connect Smalltalk applications through Twitter :)

Here is my latest blog post.

-- Peter

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 2:11 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Telefon: <a href="tel:%2B49%207141%2056%2010%2086%200" value="+4971415610860" target="_blank">+49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%207141%2056%2010%2086%201" value="+4971415610861" target="_blank">+49 7141 56 10 86 1

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          [hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Objective C Bridge

tblanchard

> On Oct 28, 2017, at 2:05 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi andrew
>
> you should contact esteban because he is writing an objective-C bridge.
>
> Stef

Another one?  I think we've written half a dozen now, no?  There is some code in the VM libs that allows calling out.  I worked on one with Avi for a bit about ten years ago.  The callbacks/delegate bit was always problematic.  It is one thing to call Objective C (really easy) but another thing to integrate with Cocoa and accept callbacks while keeping the VM live.

I would really love one that let me write Cocoa from Pharo (especially iPhone apps).

I do wonder if this new capability with Objective C blocks wouldn't maybe make things easier. http://www.friday.com/bbum/2011/03/17/ios-4-3-imp_implementationwithblock/
12345