Smalltalk hosting ...

123456

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

SeanTAllen
I dont believe anyone said that Pier was bad. I think they said it
wasn't newbie friendly because of the lack of documentation.

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe that Alex wanted to say that the basic functionalities should be so self evident that they should not need documentation.
>
> Regarding Pier, Lukas did an excellent job of building a content management system for programmers. You would not say about Seaside for example that it is bad because you cannot program it with drag and drop. It is the same for Pier. The main focus was to get it beautiful from a model point of view.
>
> To add a user-friendly interface on top of it would require an explicit and new project on top of Pier. The infrastructure is there and is powerful.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

>>> There is no need of how-to's for Pier for basic usage (e.g., editing pages, adding menus, doing internal links, adding users). It is wrong to think this is necessary. I have never read the documentation of SimpleCMS, simply there isn't and there is no need to.
>>>

>> You are apparently much smarter than I. I struggled mightly w/ getting
>> going with Pier and finally gave up and moved on to other things.
>> I doubt I'm an outlier on that. I'd love if there was much better
>> documentation but, I'm definitely not the person to do it as I still
>> don't really
>> get how to work with Pier. It is very non-intuitive for me.
>>
>> Even if it is dirt simple to use, people are going to look at recipes,
>> how-tos and general documentation when picking a CMS.
>> Most people pick a CMS to make things easier not because they think 'o
>> i really want to use X language'.
>>
>> -Sean-

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

ariliquin
I am a smalltalk newbie and interested in Smalltalk CMS. In answer to your question, from my point of view, I would like to say:

1. The ability to achieve something functional, say a my own custom main page, quickly and easily, is very encouraging (I haven't even begun to be able to do this in Pier etc, I am still wading through the concepts that are being presented, as opposed to the functionality that is made easily accessible).

2. The CMS is built on top of the Smalltalk platform, both an advantage for obvious reasons, yet a big disadvantage for this reason, from my point of view: I have to be familiar with Smalltalk BEFORE I can even approach the CMS. I don't mean familiar with the finer details and vast libraries, I mean familiar with the main screen and how to simple navigate, what the concepts are, the terminologies etc etc etc etc. NO other CMS requires this as obviously as Pier. The Smalltalk interface is NOT intuitive. I am not spoon feed everything. I have to research and digest and understand and grow to be able to do anything here. Yes, there are many simple concepts, however my experience was, upon seeing the Smalltalk environment in its totality, was to be completely lost.

3. Every other CMS like Wordpress, Concrete 5, Joomla are designed to present a user interface, not a programmer interface. Hence they are attractive to users immediately, in general. Yes a programmer can delve in and do things, but a user can get things they want done, point and click. (Although some of the interfaces can be overwhelming with navigations etc, also).

If you want a SmallTalk CMS that is Amazingly Attractive to End users and Programmers, this would be a good start for me:

Provide a USER interface that can be used to quickly produce publishable content (a lot of work, as many have pointed out, yet achieved by many other CMS projects)

Provide an underlying Programmer interface that gives simple and powerful access to the framework to allow extension and manipulation of the system (already there)

Identify the STRENGTHS of smalltalk, LEVERAGE these and present these, in a simple and meaningful way, to End USERS and programmers, to create a CMS with capabilities that others cannot match easily and that is Attractive because of its inherent nature and abilities.

Provide Tutorials, Video How-To's and Documentation from Within the CMS. This is were I am wondering how to do things, this should be were I find the answers also.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Janko Mivšek
Well said, thanks! I also beleive that a right way to the average "CMS
user" friendly CMS is to hide Smalltalk as long as possible, until user
is encouraged enough to customize his website in depth.

And in this customization is where we actually have an advantage over
others. But, we need to build that non-Smalltalk front part first. There
is no way to skip that part.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

jtuchel

Niall,

this, of course, is an excellent idea, because there's no better way to find out what questions a newbie to a technology may have than to be one yourself or work with one on their journey into using the software.

Joachim

Niall Ross <[hidden email]> hat am 20. März 2011 um 16:30 geschrieben:

> Dear Joachim,
>     and to continue/review at ESUG in workshop or similar, as I
> suggested in an earlier post?
>
> While no doubt some things may benefit from further coding or elaborate
> documentation, others may need no more than Pier experts helping Pier
> dummies get started, accompanied by someone noting what the FAQs are,
> debriefing, and tweaking the existing explanations.
>
> > maybe that's an idea for GSoC?
> >
> > Am 20.03.11 09:35, schrieb Tudor Girba:
> >
> >> I believe that Alex wanted to say that the basic functionalities
> >> should be so self evident that they should not need documentation.
> >>
> >> Regarding Pier, Lukas did an excellent job of building a content
> >> management system for programmers. You would not say about Seaside
> >> for example that it is bad because you cannot program it with drag
> >> and drop. It is the same for Pier. The main focus was to get it
> >> beautiful from a model point of view.
> >>
> >> To add a user-friendly interface on top of it would require an
> >> explicit and new project on top of Pier. The infrastructure is there
> >> and is powerful.
> >
>              Yours faithfully
>                    Niall Ross

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Helge Nowak
Janko and ariliquin: very well said!

The original poster's intention was to create a Smalltalk based CMS as successful as the leading open source ones. This can only be reached by making the system easily accessible to end users, not developers. Developers are a minority. They don't decide on what will be used as an end user tool in companies, organizations and communities.

If we think Pier and Scribo shall be end user tools they need end user UIs. If we don't think so we have to accept the fact that their target audience is the Smalltalk fraction of the developer community.
As Ralph said: marketing is thinking about your market first and then build, advertize and distribute your offfering to your target segment's needs and expectations. And don't forget your return on investment! Without ROI people will soon leave because no-one can afford to just spend.

My 2 € Cents
Helge

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Smalltalk does already have good blog/cms's, however other than for existing Smalltalk programmers there is no obvious reason why anyone else should invest any time into exploring these.

ariliquin wrote

2. ... The Smalltalk interface is NOT intuitive.
This is another story, but for most users there probably should not be a need to delve into code.

ariliquin wrote
3. ... present a user interface, not a programmer interface.
Smalltalk could really use a free, open source CMS with an intuitive UI.  How many commercial Smalltalk CMS's are there actually?  I can think of a couple but I am not sure how/if they managed to solve the usability issue?  Are they built on top of Pier or something else altogether?

ariliquin wrote
Identify the STRENGTHS of smalltalk, LEVERAGE these and present these, in a simple and meaningful way, to End USERS and programmers, to create a CMS with capabilities that others cannot match easily and that is Attractive because of its inherent nature and abilities.
Exactly, what is remarkable about a Smalltalk CMS ... about Smalltalk, why should someone care?  Smalltalk needs more remarkable applications that make the headlines, applications like DabbleDB ... which is now shutting down and made me wonder what will happen with their source code, will it be donated or go down the gurgler?

ps. Something which hasn't really been touched yet in this thread is the how/where to host Smalltalk based applications.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Julian Fitzell-2
Completely agreed, Helge.

I also have to wonder if the Smalltalk community would really benefit
as much as everyone seems to think from having a "successful CMS
written in Smalltalk". Does anyone who uses Wordpress care much what
language it is written in? I guess there could be some vague
peripheral benefit in terms of the appearance of acceptability, but
really the only way to have a successful CMS is to write a good CMS,
and at that point people are judging the product, not the language it
was written in.

So, sure, someone could go create a great, free CMS with Smalltalk.
But why do we as a community feel a need to champion the idea? Is it
just that we want to be able to use our favourite language to write
CMS plugins?

Julian

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Helge Nowak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Programmers, this would be a good start for me:
>>
>> Provide a USER interface that can be used to quickly produce publishable
>> content (a lot of work, as many have pointed out, yet achieved by many
>> other
>> CMS projects)
>>
>> Provide an underlying Programmer interface that gives simple and powerful
>> access to the framework to allow extension and manipulation of the system
>> (already there)
>>
>> Identify the STRENGTHS of smalltalk, LEVERAGE these and present these, in
>> simple and meaningful way, to End USERS and programmers, to create a CMS
>> with capabilities that others cannot match easily and that is Attractive
>> because of its inherent nature and abilities.
>>
>> Provide Tutorials, Video How-To's and Documentation from Within the CMS.
>> This is were I am wondering how to do things, this should be were I find

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Nick

I created a screen cast showing how to rapidly get up and running on Amazon using an AMI I created a few months ago: http://nickager.com/blog/Screencast-creating-a-new-instance-based-on-pre-configured-AMI/

The AMI is preconfigured with Seaside 3, Pier2 and Gemstone and Gemtools and Pharo based IDE for use within Gemstone.

You can deploy the AMI using  a Amazon EC2 Micro Instance which is free for a year. The accompanying blog post is: http://nickager.com/blog/Create-a-free-Gemstone-server-in-the-cloud-in-10-minutes/

Cheers

Nick

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

jarober
From an external marketing perspective, probably not.  What might be useful would be this:

-- showing prospective developers that going from "code that I fire from a workspace" to "easy to set up application" doesn't require black magic

On Mar 21, 2011, at 7:59 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> [...]
>>> Programmers, this would be a good start for me:
>>>
>>> Provide a USER interface that can be used to quickly produce publishable
>>> content (a lot of work, as many have pointed out, yet achieved by many
>>> other
>>> CMS projects)
>>>
>>> Provide an underlying Programmer interface that gives simple and powerful
>>> access to the framework to allow extension and manipulation of the system
>>> (already there)
>>>
>>> Identify the STRENGTHS of smalltalk, LEVERAGE these and present these, in
>>> simple and meaningful way, to End USERS and programmers, to create a CMS
>>> with capabilities that others cannot match easily and that is Attractive
>>> because of its inherent nature and abilities.
>>>
>>> Provide Tutorials, Video How-To's and Documentation from Within the CMS.
>>> This is were I am wondering how to do things, this should be were I find

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Completely agreed, Helge.

I also have to wonder if the Smalltalk community would really benefit
as much as everyone seems to think from having a "successful CMS
written in Smalltalk". Does anyone who uses Wordpress care much what
language it is written in? I guess there could be some vague
peripheral benefit in terms of the appearance of acceptability, but
really the only way to have a successful CMS is to write a good CMS,
and at that point people are judging the product, not the language it
was written in.

So, sure, someone could go create a great, free CMS with Smalltalk.
But why do we as a community feel a need to champion the idea? Is it
just that we want to be able to use our favourite language to write
CMS plugins?

How much more effective to enable one to write plugins in Smalltalk and then plug them into existing CMS systems.  Insularity and lack of interoperability can hobble Smalltalk. Emphasis on interoperability in general and the FFI in particular.  These are the multipliers that will cause greater adoption and penetration.  Reimplementing an insular and there-by inferior version of something already in existence is pointless.  Providing a platform that allows us to join in with the world is essential.

best,
Eliot

> [...]

>> Programmers, this would be a good start for me:
>>
>> Provide a USER interface that can be used to quickly produce publishable
>> content (a lot of work, as many have pointed out, yet achieved by many
>> other
>> CMS projects)
>>
>> Provide an underlying Programmer interface that gives simple and powerful
>> access to the framework to allow extension and manipulation of the system
>> (already there)
>>
>> Identify the STRENGTHS of smalltalk, LEVERAGE these and present these, in
>> simple and meaningful way, to End USERS and programmers, to create a CMS
>> with capabilities that others cannot match easily and that is Attractive
>> because of its inherent nature and abilities.
>>
>> Provide Tutorials, Video How-To's and Documentation from Within the CMS.
>> This is were I am wondering how to do things, this should be were I find

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Jan Vrany
+1

Jan

> How much more effective to enable one to write plugins in Smalltalk
> and then plug them into existing CMS systems.  Insularity and lack of
> interoperability can hobble Smalltalk. Emphasis on interoperability in
> general and the FFI in particular.  These are the multipliers that
> will cause greater adoption and penetration.  Reimplementing an
> insular and there-by inferior version of something already in
> existence is pointless.  Providing a platform that allows us to join
> in with the world is essential.
>

> best,
> Eliot
>

>         Julian
>

>         On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Helge Nowak
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         > Janko and ariliquin: very well said!
>         >
>         > The original poster's intention was to create a Smalltalk
>         based CMS as
>         > successful as the leading open source ones. This can only be
>         reached by
>         > making the system easily accessible to end users, not
>         developers. Developers
>         > are a minority. They don't decide on what will be used as an
>         end user tool
>         > in companies, organizations and communities.
>         >
>         > If we think Pier and Scribo shall be end user tools they
>         need end user UIs.
>         > If we don't think so we have to accept the fact that their
>         target audience
>         > is the Smalltalk fraction of the developer community.
>         > As Ralph said: marketing is thinking about your market first
>         and then build,
>         > advertize and distribute your offfering to your target
>         segment's needs and
>         > expectations. And don't forget your return on investment!
>         Without ROI people
>         > will soon leave because no-one can afford to just spend.
>         >
>         > My 2 € Cents
>         > Helge
>         > ________________________________

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Julian Fitzell-2
Agreed. Smalltalk is not helped by trying to show everyone how much
better we can redo what they've already done. We need to borrow what
we can, integrate where we're able, compromise when necessary, and
remain stubbornly unique only where our core values are at stake. That
still leaves us plenty of room to shine and makes it more likely the
other kids will let us play in their sandboxes too.

Julian

On 3/21/11, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> build,
>> > advertize and distribute your offfering to your target segment's needs
>> and
>> > expectations. And don't forget your return on investment! Without ROI
>> people
>> > will soon leave because no-one can afford to just spend.
>> >
>> > My 2 € Cents
>> > Helge
>> > Gesendet: Montag, den 21. März 2011, 0:02:48 Uhr
>> > Betreff: Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk hosting ...
>> >
>> > Well said, thanks! I also beleive that a right way to the average "CMS
>> > user" friendly CMS is to hide Smalltalk as long as possible, until user
>> > is encouraged enough to customize his website in depth.
>> >
>> > And in this customization is where we actually have an advantage over
>> > others. But, we need to build that non-Smalltalk front part first. There

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

NorbertHartl
This is a very sad thread. It started with a nice idea to talk about and it became more ridiculous with every single reply. I don't understand why everybody is so 110% confident what is the right thing to do if it turns out that we are all completely clueless? How can we dare even to speak against someones ideas? We don't have tons of ideas and need to select. And we don't need _one_ idea!

Writing a user friendly CMS is not _the_ idea but it is an idea. It doesn't help to shift perspective either to the low level side, the business side or the end user side. It is an idea and it is good. Looking at the current smalltalk development than I can just state that it flurishes at least in the open source corner. From an end user perspective neither pharo, seaside, pier or FFI has a value in itself. But all of these are a good foundation to enable people with ideas to produce wonderful products. I think to do marketing you need something to show. And if we are not the ones with the market breaking ideas than we should focus building the good tools and attract developers. Good applications will follow.

Yes, marketing is good. Talking about how marketing should be done is not. Analyzing markets, building a product for it and advertize might work but it is a corporate view. Open source devlopment works the opposite way most of the time. So what is better? Isn't that dependent on the fact if you are inside or outside corporate wise. Reading 'the tipping point' is sure a good idea but I observed it made a lot of people think they know "how success works" and they just need to find any idea/product that is willing to fit in. But you can't copy success stories easily.

So we all should focus more on what we can _do_ instead of distracting the motivaton of those that are willing to do something. I'm not a professional smalltalker but I spend a vast amount of my (spare) time in a lot of things smalltalk and try to build my small business. Without having faith, love and passion I could do J2EE instead.

ranting end.

Norbert

Am 21.03.2011 um 22:09 schrieb Julian Fitzell:

> Agreed. Smalltalk is not helped by trying to show everyone how much
> better we can redo what they've already done. We need to borrow what
> we can, integrate where we're able, compromise when necessary, and
> remain stubbornly unique only where our core values are at stake. That
> still leaves us plenty of room to shine and makes it more likely the
> other kids will let us play in their sandboxes too.
>
> Julian
>
> On 3/21/11, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Completely agreed, Helge.
>>>
>>> I also have to wonder if the Smalltalk community would really benefit
>>> as much as everyone seems to think from having a "successful CMS
>>> written in Smalltalk". Does anyone who uses Wordpress care much what
>>> language it is written in? I guess there could be some vague
>>> peripheral benefit in terms of the appearance of acceptability, but
>>> really the only way to have a successful CMS is to write a good CMS,
>>> and at that point people are judging the product, not the language it
>>> was written in.
>>>
>>> So, sure, someone could go create a great, free CMS with Smalltalk.
>>> But why do we as a community feel a need to champion the idea? Is it
>>> just that we want to be able to use our favourite language to write
>>> CMS plugins?
>>>

>> How much more effective to enable one to write plugins in Smalltalk and then
>> plug them into existing CMS systems.  Insularity and lack of
>> interoperability can hobble Smalltalk. Emphasis on interoperability in
>> general and the FFI in particular.  These are the multipliers that will
>> cause greater adoption and penetration.  Reimplementing an insular and
>> there-by inferior version of something already in existence is pointless.
>> Providing a platform that allows us to join in with the world is essential.
>>
>> best,
>> Eliot
>>

>>> Julian

>>> Developers
>>> tool

>>> UIs.
>>> audience
>>> build,
>>> and
>>> people

>>> your

>>> be

>>> of
>>> the
>>> my
>>> was

>>> in
>>> click.
>>> etc,

>>> and

>>> powerful
>>> system

>>> in

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Andres Valloud-6
IMO the argument cuts both ways... we also need to look at the work of
other communities in a positive light.  Unfortunately, as a community,
sometimes we tend to look down on anything not done on Smalltalk.  But
there are some Very Clever People out there, working just as hard as we
do...

On 3/21/2011 10:32 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> [...]
>     Developers
>      > are a minority. They don't decide on what will be used as an end
>     user tool
>      > in companies, organizations and communities.
>      >
>      > If we think Pier and Scribo shall be end user tools they need end
>     user UIs.
>      > If we don't think so we have to accept the fact that their target
>     audience
>      > is the Smalltalk fraction of the developer community.
>      > As Ralph said: marketing is thinking about your market first and
>     then build,
>      > advertize and distribute your offfering to your target segment's
>     needs and
>      > expectations. And don't forget your return on investment! Without
>     ROI people
>      > will soon leave because no-one can afford to just spend.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

laurent laffont

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mostly agree. But good tools is not enough to attract developers. We have to show how good they are - that means more blogs, tweet, screencasts, documentation .... so newbies can learn how to use them. For example I know that in Pharo there are powerful tools - I don't know how to use them, there's almost no comment, documentation, .... Metacello has done it right. Help, recipes, tutorials are here - I can learn advanced stuff in a couple of hours.

A community is like a kitchen garden. You have to do a little everyday to make it grow.

Yes, marketing is good. Talking about how marketing should be done is not. Analyzing markets, building a product for it and advertize might work but it is a corporate view. Open source devlopment works the opposite way most of the time. So what is better? Isn't that dependent on the fact if you are inside or outside corporate wise. Reading 'the tipping point' is sure a good idea but I observed it made a lot of people think they know "how success works" and they just need to find any idea/product that is willing to fit in. But you can't copy success stories easily.

Open source doesn't mean no marketing - indeed to me it seems successful open source project has really good marketing from their user / developer base: people using it and write about it to say it's great and how to use it, make it easy to setup. LAMP stack is a good example I think: they were not blasting technologies, but were easy to setup, lot of tutorials, easy to get in.

So we all should focus more on what we can _do_ instead of distracting the motivaton of those that are willing to do something. I'm not a professional smalltalker but I spend a vast amount of my (spare) time in a lot of things smalltalk and try to build my small business. Without having faith, love and passion I could do J2EE instead.

Oh I'm doing mostly PHP for one year ;)  But the more I learn about Pharo the more it get into my workflow. It seems to me it's easier to get into Smalltalk now than it was two years ago when I discovered it.

Cheers,

Laurent

ranting end.

Norbert

Am 21.03.2011 um 22:09 schrieb Julian Fitzell:

> Agreed. Smalltalk is not helped by trying to show everyone how much
> better we can redo what they've already done. We need to borrow what
> we can, integrate where we're able, compromise when necessary, and
> remain stubbornly unique only where our core values are at stake. That
> still leaves us plenty of room to shine and makes it more likely the
> other kids will let us play in their sandboxes too.
>
> Julian
>
> On 3/21/11, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Completely agreed, Helge.
>>>
>>> I also have to wonder if the Smalltalk community would really benefit
>>> as much as everyone seems to think from having a "successful CMS
>>> written in Smalltalk". Does anyone who uses Wordpress care much what
>>> language it is written in? I guess there could be some vague
>>> peripheral benefit in terms of the appearance of acceptability, but
>>> really the only way to have a successful CMS is to write a good CMS,
>>> and at that point people are judging the product, not the language it
>>> was written in.
>>>
>>> So, sure, someone could go create a great, free CMS with Smalltalk.
>>> But why do we as a community feel a need to champion the idea? Is it
>>> just that we want to be able to use our favourite language to write
>>> CMS plugins?
>>>

>> How much more effective to enable one to write plugins in Smalltalk and then
>> plug them into existing CMS systems.  Insularity and lack of
>> interoperability can hobble Smalltalk. Emphasis on interoperability in
>> general and the FFI in particular.  These are the multipliers that will
>> cause greater adoption and penetration.  Reimplementing an insular and
>> there-by inferior version of something already in existence is pointless.
>> Providing a platform that allows us to join in with the world is essential.
>>
>> best,
>> Eliot
>>

>>> Julian

>>> Developers
>>> tool

>>> UIs.
>>> audience
>>> build,
>>> and
>>> people

>>> your

>>> be

>>> of
>>> the
>>> my
>>> was

>>> in
>>> click.
>>> etc,

>>> and

>>> powerful
>>> system

>>> in

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Norbert Hartl wrote
This is a very sad thread. It started with a nice idea to talk about ....
Thanks Norbert :)

Norbert Hartl wrote
... From an end user perspective neither pharo, seaside, pier or FFI has a value in itself. But all of these are a good foundation to enable people with ideas to produce wonderful products. I think to do marketing you need something to show. And if we are not the ones with the market breaking ideas than we should focus building the good tools and attract developers. Good applications will follow.
Agree, Smalltalk needs applications that stand out, something that attracts people's attention ... and yes, a great user friendly blog/cms was only "an" idea :)

Norbert Hartl wrote
I'm not a professional smalltalker but I spend a vast amount of my (spare) time in a lot of things smalltalk and try to build my small business. Without having faith, love and passion I could do J2EE instead.

ranting end.
I am not even a programmer (well I was, but that's almost 7 years ago now).  I have been following Smalltalk in my spare time for about 6 years now, mainly because I have a feeling that Smalltalk has great potential.  From a software engineering point of view I really like how a lot of things are done, but then when it comes to intuitiveness, usability, look-and-feel ... and you know the "je ne sais quoi" it lacks ... it really lacks a lot.

So, other than the "one" idea above ... what other ideas are out there to attract more people to Smalltalk?

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Julian Fitzell-2
Hi Norbert,

I disagree entirely. This thread isn't sad at all; it shows how
passionate this community is about Smalltalk and that people want to
talk about how to share this passion with as many others as possible.

Suggesting that one can do marketing without talking about marketing
is, in my view, nonsensical. People are naturally free to do whatever
they like, but the fact that they are having this discussion suggests
to me that they are not quite sure what to do and would like to
discuss ideas with others. They would like to focus their passion on
ideas they believe will be successful, rather than doing whatever
first comes to their minds. Presumably this discussions will involve
some disagreement rather than a big love fest of mutual affirmation.
"How can we dare even to speak against someones ideas?"? I find that a
very very strange sentiment...

Since most of use here are developers, I think we are not used to
thinking about the issues of markets and messages and can therefore
benefit from all the groupthink we can get. Obviously writing a CMS is
*an* idea - that's by definition; but this particular idea was being
discussed in the very specific context of making Smalltalk wildly
popular. Do you think it will?

I'm not 110% certain of anything but looking at the idea of a CMS:
* there are many established players already in the market, with
mindshare and a big headstart
* there are probably thousands of plugins already written for the
existing platforms
* we are less likely to be successful precisely *because* we would be
using an uncommon language
* our deployment story is still poor
* users of a CMS are generally not going to be users of its underlying
programming language
* Smalltalk is really good at modelling complex domains and CMSes (at
least the popular ones) are really quite simple - this isn't an area
where Smalltalk is going to give a huge advantage over competing
languages

The award-winning Cmsbox is evidence that you can create a great CMS
in Smalltalk. But that's not the point. You don't need to read The
Tipping Point to see that we would be entering a saturated market with
little competitive advantage; even if we were successful, we'd have
been largely targeting the wrong people.

(By the way, your suggestion of attracting developers with good tools
sounds like one reasonable focus. From what I've seen, good developer
tools are in fact still "market breaking" - this used to be one of
Smalltalk's strengths and is a perfect opportunity to borrow,
integrate, and innovate...)

Julian

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a very sad thread. It started with a nice idea to talk about and it became more ridiculous with every single reply. I don't understand why everybody is so 110% confident what is the right thing to do if it turns out that we are all completely clueless? How can we dare even to speak against someones ideas? We don't have tons of ideas and need to select. And we don't need _one_ idea!
>
> Writing a user friendly CMS is not _the_ idea but it is an idea. It doesn't help to shift perspective either to the low level side, the business side or the end user side. It is an idea and it is good. Looking at the current smalltalk development than I can just state that it flurishes at least in the open source corner. From an end user perspective neither pharo, seaside, pier or FFI has a value in itself. But all of these are a good foundation to enable people with ideas to produce wonderful products. I think to do marketing you need something to show. And if we are not the ones with the market breaking ideas than we should focus building the good tools and attract developers. Good applications will follow.
>
> Yes, marketing is good. Talking about how marketing should be done is not. Analyzing markets, building a product for it and advertize might work but it is a corporate view. Open source devlopment works the opposite way most of the time. So what is better? Isn't that dependent on the fact if you are inside or outside corporate wise. Reading 'the tipping point' is sure a good idea but I observed it made a lot of people think they know "how success works" and they just need to find any idea/product that is willing to fit in. But you can't copy success stories easily.
>
> So we all should focus more on what we can _do_ instead of distracting the motivaton of those that are willing to do something. I'm not a professional smalltalker but I spend a vast amount of my (spare) time in a lot of things smalltalk and try to build my small business. Without having faith, love and passion I could do J2EE instead.
>
> ranting end.
>
> Norbert

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

I agree with Julian in all his points (thus no quoting!) but just wanted
to say one more thing in this thread:

Although it is fun and engaging to talk about "we should do X", and I
really don't want to suppress that, it almost never ends up being the
driving force for someone to actually do X.

IMHO a more exciting discussion can start if someone says "I want to do
X" and then see what people think of it and if they want to join in and
so on.

Just my 2 öre.

regards, Göran

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

jtuchel

Geert Claes <[hidden email]> hat am 22. März 2011 um 09:59 geschrieben:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
> >
> > ... From an end user perspective neither pharo, seaside, pier or FFI has a
> > value in itself. But all of these are a good foundation to enable people
> > with ideas to produce wonderful products.

Agreed. You can build many great things in Smalltalk, but most of them can be built in other environments as well. It may cost more or be harder, but it's possible.

> > I think to do marketing you need> > something to show. And if we are not the ones with the market breaking

> > ideas than we should focus building the good tools and attract developers.
> > Good applications will follow.
> >

> Agree, Smalltalk needs applications that stand out, something that attracts
> people's attention ... and yes, a great user friendly blog/cms was only "an"
> idea :)

I'm afraid the idea of having to provide a killer app that will show the world how cool Smalltalk is will not work. If the app is great, nobody will ask: What's it made with? My blog is hosted on Wordpress.com, and I must admit I neither have an idea nor care what language it's written in. My time is too limited to care.

But if we manage to make our Smalltalk environments a nice place to stay at for programmers, we can probably attract more Smalltalkers. It's not enough to have the very best of languages when we use tools that look&feel as if they were frozen for 20 years. Smalltalk is a great, flexible, dynamic environment that enables productivity and high quality, but it doesn't lokk as if it was.

As long as Smalltalk IDEs are looking dated, lack functionality like modern widgets and toolbars, palettes etc, we can do what we want, it will turn people away. We need a better rich client platform than Eclipse, Xcode or VisualStudio and we need full support of modern GUI standards. No matter how much better a Smalltalk debugger is than a Eclipse's or Xcode's debugger, most developers won't give it a chance to prove it, because it's somewhat strange or at least different. There's literally no Smalltalk that can build a Mac App that looks native. There are no Smalltalks in which I could (easily) build a GUI like Word or Photoshop without doing a lot of hand-coding (or hacking) on the widgetry.

So my idea would be a platform inspired by Eclipse's rich client platform, which both helps improve the Smalltalk IDE itself, make it extensible and at the same time enables modern looking GUI apps with little effort. Just imaginge the power of Eclipse RCP without hundreds of XML files and adaptors, just plain Smalltalk code. If it looks & feels good, it doesn't even have to be "native". SWT isn't really, neither is Word, Photoshop or iTunes.

Somebody wrote in this thread (was it Eliot?): if the Smalltalk tool is great, great applications will follow. He's absolutely right.

Joachim

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

NiallRoss
Dear Goran et al.,
    I agree with Julian's points and yours.

Göran Krampe wrote:

> IMHO a more exciting discussion can start if someone says "I want to
> do X" and then see what people think of it and if they want to join in
> and so on.

So let's return the thread to the three proposals actually made so far IIRC.

The first two are complementary - we could do both:

1) GSoC Smalltalk project in the area of CMS:  needs Pier-capable mentor(s).

2) ESUG workshop/tutorial in Edinburgh in August:

    - start from Pier, plus GSoC output and/or other add-ons as
appropriate:  this thread has mentioned Nick's Amazon get-started videos
and Reza's add-ons

    - hopefully we will have rubyists, newbies, etc. there, also CMS
researchers from the host - find out what blocks them

    - also find out what questions an experienced Smalltalker meets
getting started in Pier whose answers are not easily found in the
existing explanations

I think this could make an OK tutorial for newbies / non-Smalltalkers
that was also useful to Smalltalkers who had never used Pier.  It could
be a tutorial during Camp Smalltalk or an event in the conference (or
both).  I will be (one of the) recorder(s) for (2) if asked.  Someone
needs to say, "I'll teach it".

If (1) is designed to prepare the way for (2), great.  Ideally, a mentor
for (1) would run the tutorial/workshop (2).

The third idea reasied in the thread was an alternative

3) Make it easier to write Smalltalk plugins for some popular CMS.

If someone _has_ written a Smalltalk plugins to existing CMS, or has
knowledge of what that would require, they should write it up (or talk
about it at ESUG, of course :-) ).

                Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

123456