Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

12

Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
Hi Guys:
Now that 4.5 is near to be released I want to make a suggestion for 4.6.

I think that Squeak have a killer weapon a bit forgotten that should be included in the image, it's Morphic Designer [1] from Hasso Platner Institute [2].

I'm loading it fine from several version already [3] but I think that it should be part of the image in 4.6, for example in menu Tools.

This would help to lower the barriers of Squeak to newbies (remember that one of the more criticized aspects from all times is the lack of an UI Builder).

And Morphic Designer really rocks and should not be forgot, I think that need to be maintained as part of the official image.

What think the community?

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

marcel.taeumel (old)
I think it is possible to port the basic idea of Morphic Designer to plain Morphic/PluggableWidgets. As far as I noticed, there is ja major concern about Signals, Animations, and Widgets, which kind of would "replace" or "make redundant" the current approaches: changed/update, Morphic stepping, Morphic (pluggable) widgets. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
HI Marcel:

I do not know the internals, but until 4.5 it works ok in the standard image......

Cheers.

BTW: I was just thinking in write to you asking about some of the cool things of the Hasso Plattner Institute (For example the page of PathView and Model-based Source Code Editing are not found)

I think it is possible to port the basic idea of Morphic Designer to plain
Morphic/PluggableWidgets. As far as I noticed, there is ja major concern
about Signals, Animations, and Widgets, which kind of would "replace" or
"make redundant" the current approaches: changed/update, Morphic stepping,
Morphic (pluggable) widgets. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Michael Perscheid
Hi Germán,

I’m currently editing the PathView documentation page :-) and I hope to officially announce
the entire Path tool suite in the next days.

Best regards,
Michael

On 20.02.2014, at 13:14, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI Marcel:
>
> I do not know the internals, but until 4.5 it works ok in the standard image......
>
> Cheers.
>
> BTW: I was just thinking in write to you asking about some of the cool things of the Hasso Plattner Institute (For example the page of PathView and Model-based Source Code Editing are not found)

> I think it is possible to port the basic idea of Morphic Designer to plain
> Morphic/PluggableWidgets. As far as I noticed, there is ja major concern
> about Signals, Animations, and Widgets, which kind of would "replace" or
> "make redundant" the current approaches: changed/update, Morphic stepping,
> Morphic (pluggable) widgets. :)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

---
Dr.-Ing. Michael Perscheid
[hidden email]

http://www.michaelperscheid.de/

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
Thanks you Michael!

BTW I discovered this tools just today and trying to read about them :)

Cheers.

Hi Germán,

I’m currently editing the PathView documentation page :-) and I hope to officially announce
the entire Path tool suite in the next days.

Best regards,
Michael

On 20.02.2014, at 13:14, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI Marcel:
>
> I do not know the internals, but until 4.5 it works ok in the standard image......
>
> Cheers.
>
> BTW: I was just thinking in write to you asking about some of the cool things of the Hasso Plattner Institute (For example the page of PathView and Model-based Source Code Editing are not found)

> I think it is possible to port the basic idea of Morphic Designer to plain
> Morphic/PluggableWidgets. As far as I noticed, there is ja major concern
> about Signals, Animations, and Widgets, which kind of would "replace" or
> "make redundant" the current approaches: changed/update, Morphic stepping,
> Morphic (pluggable) widgets. :)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

---
Dr.-Ing. Michael Perscheid
[hidden email]

http://www.michaelperscheid.de/

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

timrowledge

On 20-02-2014, at 3:11 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that Squeak have a killer weapon a bit forgotten that should be included in the image, it's Morphic Designer [1] from Hasso Platner Institute [2].

I’ve mentioned this before as a strong candidate for a standard tool - though again I’ll mention Chris Muller’s Maui stuff as an interesting alternative approach - and if someone does the work of simplifying it a little as Marcel mentions then I think it would be a very popular tool. Even if simplifying meant mostly removing stuff so all that was left was making layout data; that’s a surprising amount of hassles removed.

tim
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
I vote for have Morphic Designer, I think that is very useful to quickly compose Morphic UI's.

And, by other hand, I think that is a way to attract more newbies to Squeak, from years the lack of an UI composer is the main complaint of a lot of people (myself included :P )

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Karl Ramberg
Does it have code generation or does it serialize the composed morphs ?

Cheers,
Karl

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
I vote for have Morphic Designer, I think that is very useful to quickly compose Morphic UI's.

And, by other hand, I think that is a way to attract more newbies to Squeak, from years the lack of an UI composer is the main complaint of a lot of people (myself included :P )

On 20-02-2014, at 3:11 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that Squeak have a killer weapon a bit forgotten that should be included in the image, it's Morphic Designer [1] from Hasso Platner Institute [2].

I’ve mentioned this before as a strong candidate for a standard tool - though again I’ll mention Chris Muller’s Maui stuff as an interesting alternative approach - and if someone does the work of simplifying it a little as Marcel mentions then I think it would be a very popular tool. Even if simplifying meant mostly removing stuff so all that was left was making layout data; that’s a surprising amount of hassles removed.

tim
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
Hi Karl:

MD creates valid Smalltalk code for your designs.

HTH.

Does it have code generation or does it serialize the composed morphs ?

Cheers,
Karl

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
I vote for have Morphic Designer, I think that is very useful to quickly compose Morphic UI's.

And, by other hand, I think that is a way to attract more newbies to Squeak, from years the lack of an UI composer is the main complaint of a lot of people (myself included :P )

On 20-02-2014, at 3:11 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that Squeak have a killer weapon a bit forgotten that should be included in the image, it's Morphic Designer [1] from Hasso Platner Institute [2].

I’ve mentioned this before as a strong candidate for a standard tool - though again I’ll mention Chris Muller’s Maui stuff as an interesting alternative approach - and if someone does the work of simplifying it a little as Marcel mentions then I think it would be a very popular tool. Even if simplifying meant mostly removing stuff so all that was left was making layout data; that’s a surprising amount of hassles removed.

tim
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Karl Ramberg
Nice. 360 video resolution was a little hard to read but it was very informative.

Cheers,
Karl

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl:

MD creates valid Smalltalk code for your designs.

HTH.

Does it have code generation or does it serialize the composed morphs ?

Cheers,
Karl

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
I vote for have Morphic Designer, I think that is very useful to quickly compose Morphic UI's.

And, by other hand, I think that is a way to attract more newbies to Squeak, from years the lack of an UI composer is the main complaint of a lot of people (myself included :P )

On 20-02-2014, at 3:11 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that Squeak have a killer weapon a bit forgotten that should be included in the image, it's Morphic Designer [1] from Hasso Platner Institute [2].

I’ve mentioned this before as a strong candidate for a standard tool - though again I’ll mention Chris Muller’s Maui stuff as an interesting alternative approach - and if someone does the work of simplifying it a little as Marcel mentions then I think it would be a very popular tool. Even if simplifying meant mostly removing stuff so all that was left was making layout data; that’s a surprising amount of hassles removed.

tim
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
Here a better resolution video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmlgU5p4g3o

Cheers.

Nice. 360 video resolution was a little hard to read but it was very informative.

Cheers,
Karl

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl:

MD creates valid Smalltalk code for your designs.

HTH.

Does it have code generation or does it serialize the composed morphs ?

Cheers,
Karl

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
I vote for have Morphic Designer, I think that is very useful to quickly compose Morphic UI's.

And, by other hand, I think that is a way to attract more newbies to Squeak, from years the lack of an UI composer is the main complaint of a lot of people (myself included :P )

On 20-02-2014, at 3:11 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that Squeak have a killer weapon a bit forgotten that should be included in the image, it's Morphic Designer [1] from Hasso Platner Institute [2].

I’ve mentioned this before as a strong candidate for a standard tool - though again I’ll mention Chris Muller’s Maui stuff as an interesting alternative approach - and if someone does the work of simplifying it a little as Marcel mentions then I think it would be a very popular tool. Even if simplifying meant mostly removing stuff so all that was left was making layout data; that’s a surprising amount of hassles removed.

tim
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
I'm again bothering with this question, but I'm really sure that should be a great addition for the base image.

I'm trying to check if it works in 5.0, but the repo of HPI seems to be non responsive, can anyone help?

Thanks.

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Tobias Pape

> On 19.05.2017, at 22:13, garduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm again bothering with this question, but I'm really sure that should be a
> great addition for the base image.
>
> I'm trying to check if it works in 5.0, but the repo of HPI seems to be non
> responsive, can anyone help?

I see.
Will fix it Monday when back at work.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Thanks.

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
Ok, thanks you Tobias.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
@garduino

http://forum.world.st/Suggestion-for-4-6-Morphic-Designer-tp4745149p4947678.html
To unsubscribe from Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer, click here.
NAML

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
<quote author="Tobias Pape">

ok, Thanks you Tobias.

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Tobias Pape

> On 19.05.2017, at 22:52, garduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 19.05.2017, at 22:13, garduino &lt;garduino@&gt; wrote:
>>
>> I'm again bothering with this question, but I'm really sure that should be
>> great addition for the base image.
>>
>> I'm trying to check if it works in 5.0, but the repo of HPI seems to be
>> non
>> responsive, can anyone help?
>
>>> I see.
>>> Will fix it Monday when back at work.
>>> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> -Tobias
>
> ok, Thanks you Tobias.

Well, can you try again?
Looks like a simple hiccup we had…
Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
Hi Tobias….and not, is not working from here.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
@garduino

http://forum.world.st/Suggestion-for-4-6-Morphic-Designer-tp4745149p4948418.html

Captura de pantalla 2017-05-27 a las 08.47.56.png (141K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Tobias Pape

> On 27.05.2017, at 13:41, garduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias….and not, is not working from here.

I noted that it does not work in some Chrome versions. have you tried firefox?
(make sure it is http and not https)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino
> @garduino
>

> On Sat, May 27, 2017 5:33 AM, Tobias Pape [via Smalltalk] [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > On 19.05.2017, at 22:52, garduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 19.05.2017, at 22:13, garduino &lt;garduino@&gt; wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm again bothering with this question, but I'm really sure that should be
> >> great addition for the base image.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to check if it works in 5.0, but the repo of HPI seems to be
> >> non
> >> responsive, can anyone help?

> > ok, Thanks you Tobias.
> Well, can you try again?
> Looks like a simple hiccup we had…
> Best regards
>         -Tobias
>

> > --

> http://forum.world.st/Suggestion-for-4-6-Morphic-Designer-tp4745149p4948418.html
> To unsubscribe from Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer, click here.
> NAML
>
>  Captura de pantalla 2017-05-27 a las 08.47.56.png (141K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

garduino
I mean that I get a timeout trying to install UI Designer from a Squeak 5.1 image following the usual instructions from the web page.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
@garduino

On Sat, May 27, 2017 12:49 PM, Tobias Pape [hidden email] wrote:

> On 27.05.2017, at 13:41, garduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias….and not, is not working from here.

I noted that it does not work in some Chrome versions. have you tried firefox?

(make sure it is http and not https)

Best regards

-Tobias

> Saludos / Regards,

> Germán Arduino

> @garduino

> On Sat, May 27, 2017 5:33 AM, Tobias Pape [via Smalltalk] [hidden email] wrote:

> > On 19.05.2017, at 22:52, garduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> On 19.05.2017, at 22:13, garduino &lt;garduino@&gt; wrote:

> >> I'm again bothering with this question, but I'm really sure that should be

> >> great addition for the base image.

> >> I'm trying to check if it works in 5.0, but the repo of HPI seems to be

> >> non

> >> responsive, can anyone help?

> > ok, Thanks you Tobias.

> Well, can you try again?

> Looks like a simple hiccup we had…

> Best regards

> -Tobias

> > --

> http://forum.world.st/Suggestion-for-4-6-Morphic-Designer-tp4745149p4948418.html

> To unsubscribe from Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer, click here.

> NAML

> Captura de pantalla 2017-05-27 a las 08.47.56.png (141K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestion for 4.6 - Morphic Designer

Kjell Godo

how about a tool menu command to load one or more GUI builders
and which ever ones you load wind up in the GUI builder subMenu
so it's easy to launch them

that way they are optional   like now
but not buried in some lost list of packages or scattered out onto the web where only newbies
     who are now oldies   will ever find them