Bert, could you please explain why you want this?  I hate this because
it means now there is no way to un-Italicize, un-bold, or
un-underline, colored text and leave it colored.  These types of text
decoration two are totally independent of each other, now they're
commingled?

Also, what if I'm doing base white-on-black, you want to hard-code us
to black text so we end up with black-on-black and unable to even see
it.

It's already so easy to switch text color to black:   Command+6 + Enter.

Isn't that easy enough without making it impossible for folks writing
documents in Squeak that contain colored text?

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of Collections was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Collections-bf.496.mcz
>
> ==================== Summary ====================
>
> Name: Collections-bf.496
> Author: bf
> Time: 6 December 2012, 7:15:56.137 pm
> UUID: 1d1e83a0-08fb-427a-ae24-3fcd3029b8f2
> Ancestors: Collections-ul.495
>
> Cmd-0 should remove text colors.
>
> =============== Diff against Collections-ul.495 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: TextColor>>dominatedByCmd0 (in category 'scanning') -----
> + dominatedByCmd0
> +       "Cmd-0 should remove text color"
> +       ^ true!
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Inbox: Collections-bf.496.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-05-23, at 18:20, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bert, could you please explain why you want this?

Cmd-0 is supposed to make something into plain text. Colored text is not plain text.

>  I hate this because
> it means now there is no way to un-Italicize, un-bold, or
> un-underline, colored text and leave it colored.  These types of text
> decoration two are totally independent of each other, now they're
> commingled?
>
> Also, what if I'm doing base white-on-black, you want to hard-code us
> to black text so we end up with black-on-black and unable to even see
> it.

Cmd-0 does not mean black text, it means use the default foreground color, by removing the color from the text.

> It's already so easy to switch text color to black:   Command+6 + Enter.

Sure, but I don't normally want to set the text to black. I want to make it plain.

> Isn't that easy enough without making it impossible for folks writing
> documents in Squeak that contain colored text?

Don't use Cmd-0 if you want to use text containing different colors. It's *supposed* to make the whole selection look uniform.

For a differently-colored background plain text should be displayed in color possibly different from black, I agree. But that color should *not* be encoded in the text itself, it should be a property of its display container, the one providing the background color.

- Bert -

>
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A new version of Collections was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Collections-bf.496.mcz
>>
>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>
>> Name: Collections-bf.496
>> Author: bf
>> Time: 6 December 2012, 7:15:56.137 pm
>> UUID: 1d1e83a0-08fb-427a-ae24-3fcd3029b8f2
>> Ancestors: Collections-ul.495
>>
>> Cmd-0 should remove text colors.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Collections-ul.495 ===============
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: TextColor>>dominatedByCmd0 (in category 'scanning') -----
>> + dominatedByCmd0
>> +       "Cmd-0 should remove text color"
>> +       ^ true!
>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
>> Bert, could you please explain why you want this?
>
> Cmd-0 is supposed to make something into plain text. Colored text is not plain text.

Look at the consecutive key-sequence across the top-row of the keyboard.  In order from left-to-right we have:

Command+7 = Bold, no color change
  Command+8 = Italicize, no color change
  Command+9 = Kern, no color change
  Command+0 = Normalize, PLUS a color change!
  Command+_ = Underline, no color change
  Command+= = Strikeout, no color change.

I think Command+6 should be the universal, one-stop, "Text Colorization" / "Decolorization" function and leave the rest of it elegantly consistent by operating solely on emphasis attributes.

The new Cmd+0 affects the gesture-usage of the system too.  Before, all combinations of going from any format+color to any another other format+color utilized a consistent sequence of gestures.  Now, we have an exceptional case for removing emphasis from colored text (e.g., going from Bold+Red to Normal+Red).

Question:  How will users keep the same custom-color when all they want to do is remove an underline?  

This use-case is now very difficult for the user if not impossible.

>> It's already so easy to switch text color to black:   Command+6 + Enter.
>
> Sure, but I don't normally want to set the text to black. I want to make it plain.

Ok, how about adding "default color" to the Alt+6 menu then?  Or, how about an alternate key-sequence for "Normalize + Decolorize"?  Shift+Command+0 is available!  This would be perfect compromise.

>> Isn't that easy enough without making it impossible for folks writing
>> documents in Squeak that contain colored text?
>
> Don't use Cmd-0 if you want to use text containing different colors. It's *supposed* to make the whole selection look uniform.

But what do I use now if want to maintain different colors but just want to remove emphasis?  To do that before, it was the same consistent gesture-sequence as anything else.  Command+0, Command+6, Enter.  Done.  Now that's broken, especially for custom-colors.

> For a differently-colored background plain text should be displayed in color possibly different from black, I agree. But that color should *not* be encoded in the text itself, it should be a property of its display container, the one providing the background color.

I'm on-board with having a "nil" color as a text that causes it to render in whatever it's container says it should and having a gesture to set it such.  Glad we agree about that.

Would you please compromise with me -- it seems the shift key is used as an "enhanced" version of several hot-key functions throughout the system, and so Shift+Command+0 to inject the decolorization and leaving original Command+0 to remain consistent with [7] thru [=] to only remove emphasis, seems ideal, what do you think?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-05-23, at 21:35, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Cmd-0 is supposed to make something into plain text. Colored text is not plain text.

Look at the consecutive key-sequence across the top-row of the keyboard.  In order from left-to-right we have:

Now you're being ridiculous:

Command+6 = Color, no underline change
Command+7 = Bold, no underline change
Command+8 = Italicize, no underline change
Command+9 = Kern, no underline change
Command+0 = Normalize, PLUS an underline change!
Command+_ = Underline change
Command+= = Strikeout, no underline change

Outrageous ;)

I think Command+6 should be the universal, one-stop, "Text Colorization" / "Decolorization" function and leave the rest of it elegantly consistent by operating solely on emphasis attributes.

The new Cmd+0 affects the gesture-usage of the system too.  Before, all combinations of going from any format+color to any another other format+color utilized a consistent sequence of gestures.  Now, we have an exceptional case for removing emphasis from colored text (e.g., going from Bold+Red to Normal+Red).

You seem to think of color as something special. I don't. It's just another way to make text fancy, instead of plain. Cmd-0 is intended to make text plain.

Question:  How will users keep the same custom-color when all they want to do is remove an underline?  

Just like you do it in all other text editors: toggle underlining on and off: hit "Cmd _" twice.

Huh?

>
> Sure, but I don't normally want to set the text to black. I want to make it plain.

Ok, how about adding "default color" to the Alt+6 menu then?  Or, how about an alternate key-sequence for "Normalize + Decolorize"?  Shift+Command+0 is available!  This would be perfect compromise.

No. A more special operation should have a more complicated shortcut. "Remove all embellishments" is more general than "remove all embellishments but preserve colorization", so if you really need that special mode, that could be your new shortcut. 

>
> Don't use Cmd-0 if you want to use text containing different colors. It's *supposed* to make the whole selection look uniform.

But what do I use now if want to maintain different colors but just want to remove emphasis?  To do that before, it was the same consistent gesture-sequence as anything else.  Command+0, Command+6, Enter.  Done.  Now that's broken, especially for custom-colors.

But then you would need many more command sequences:

a) remove all text attributes except color
b) remove all text attributes except underlines/strikethrough
c) remove all text attributes except bold/italic
... etc ...

This is obviously ridiculous. I just don't see why you think text color is so special that it needs to be treated completely differently than all the other text attributes.

> For a differently-colored background plain text should be displayed in color possibly different from black, I agree. But that color should *not* be encoded in the text itself, it should be a property of its display container, the one providing the background color.

I'm on-board with having a "nil" color as a text that causes it to render in whatever it's container says it should and having a gesture to set it such.  Glad we agree about that.

Would you please compromise with me -- it seems the shift key is used as an "enhanced" version of several hot-key functions throughout the system, and so Shift+Command+0 to inject the decolorization and leaving original Command+0 to remain consistent with [7] thru [=] to only remove emphasis, seems ideal, what do you think?

As I tried to explained above the only consistent way is for CMD-0 to remove all these text attribute. You're welcome to add "remove-all-but-color" as a special operation. I have *never* needed that, but I always was annoyed when I wanted to remove style, e.g. because a class comment was saved as all-red. 

Seriously, I don't even understand how you could think this is controversial. Removing all text attributes *obviously* should remove text colors.

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Cmd-0 (was: The Inbox: Collections-bf.496.mcz)

Bert Freudenberg
Giving this thread a proper subject (and one further comment below).

On 2013-05-24, at 11:43, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>

Outrageous ;)

You seem to think of color as something special. I don't. It's just another way to make text fancy, instead of plain. Cmd-0 is intended to make text plain.

Just like you do it in all other text editors: toggle underlining on and off: hit "Cmd _" twice.

Huh?

>

No. A more special operation should have a more complicated shortcut. "Remove all embellishments" is more general than "remove all embellishments but preserve colorization", so if you really need that special mode, that could be your new shortcut. 

>

... etc ...

This is obviously ridiculous. I just don't see why you think text color is so special that it needs to be treated completely differently than all the other text attributes.

As I tried to explained above the only consistent way is for CMD-0 to remove all these text attribute. You're welcome to add "remove-all-but-color" as a special operation. I have *never* needed that, but I always was annoyed when I wanted to remove style, e.g. because a class comment was saved as all-red. 

Seriously, I don't even understand how you could think this is controversial. Removing all text attributes *obviously* should remove text colors.

- Bert -

Also, Chris, please read the command-key help, which explicitly states that Cmd-0 is intended to reset all Cmd-6 properties. I merely fixed a bug. It is unfortunate that you learned to rely on the buggy behavior. But I'm sure you're a great learner :)

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cmd-0 (was: The Inbox: Collections-bf.496.mcz)

Chris Muller-3
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Giving this thread a proper subject (and one further comment below).

On 2013-05-24, at 11:43, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>

Outrageous ;)

Your list is not analogous to mine.

I do indeed regard color as a more-general form of emphasis than italics.  Any kind of informational object such as a line or chart can have color, but only Text can be italicized, underlined or struckout.  Previously, all of Cmd+7 thru Cmd+= only affected Text-specific emphasis.  Now, one of them also changes color.

For some reason, I thought the toggling was broken -- that Cmd+7 would only add bold, not remove it.    I just tried it again and, it worked.  So, the situation is not as bad as I thought.

Still, the idempotent property of setting emphasis is now broken for colored text.  Not a huge deal, but still a downgrade.

Huh?

>

I can see the root of our disagreement lies in our regard whether color is an equal-footing embellishment as the text-specific embellishments (italics/underline/strikeout/bold) on the hot-keys.  At least I understand your POV now, I'm glad it's slightly less ridiculous than I thought.  :)

>

... etc ...
I don't get this, but, whatever.. 

Again, if you want to modify color, then invoke the color-modifying operation (Cmd+6), not an emphasis-modifying operation.  The comment might have had something underlined and so you just blew that away when all you said you wanted to do was remove the red.

Since the toggling works afterall, it's not controversial, but a downgrade because I see Cmd-0 now as inconsistent treatment of the text compared to the other emphases operations.

Also, Chris, please read the command-key help, which explicitly states that Cmd-0 is intended to reset all Cmd-6 properties. I merely fixed a bug. It is unfortunate that you learned to rely on the buggy behavior. But I'm sure you're a great learner :)

I had already read it and determined that's where the "fix" should have been applied rather than in the behavior.  Our decisions as a community are based on current, logical discussions like this one to determine which is wrong, not old documentation.

- Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cmd-0

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-05-24, at 17:43, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can see the root of our disagreement lies in our regard whether color is an equal-footing embellishment as the text-specific embellishments (italics/underline/strikeout/bold) on the hot-keys.  At least I understand your POV now, I'm glad it's slightly less ridiculous than I thought.  :)

Progress ;)

Since the toggling works afterall, it's not controversial, but a downgrade because I see Cmd-0 now as inconsistent treatment of the text compared to the other emphases operations.

I had already read it and determined that's where the "fix" should have been applied rather than in the behavior.  Our decisions as a community are based on current, logical discussions like this one to determine which is wrong, not old documentation.

- Chris

I think we have made our respective positions clear. Let's poll others:

A) Argh: I don't care [note: that's a fine opinion, but please do not reply]
B) Bert: Cmd-0 should remove all text attributes
C) Chris: Cmd-0 should remove all text attributes except coloring

Since A is the default we only need to tally B's and C's :)

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Rushworth-2
Hi All,

On 13-05-24 09:29 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 2013-05-24, at 17:43, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

[snip]

> I think we have made our respective positions clear. Let's poll others:
>
> A) Argh: I don't care [note: that's a fine opinion, but please do not reply]
> B) Bert: Cmd-0 should remove all text attributes
> C) Chris: Cmd-0 should remove all text attributes except coloring
>
> Since A is the default we only need to tally B's and C's :)
>
I've always felt that '0' was a fine mnemonic for 'zero attributes',
regardless of whether colour is special.  Count me as a B.

And just for a nit - lines can have all kinds of attributes besides
colour - thickness (i.e. bold), solid/dotted (i.e. italic), wavy (i.e.
font face), tapered (i.e. slant), etc.  I really don't think colour
should be considered a special attribute just because it can apply to
things besides text.

> - Bert -
Regards,

--
Tom Rushworth

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

On 24-05-2013, at 9:49 AM, Tom Rushworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've always felt that '0' was a fine mnemonic for 'zero attributes',
> regardless of whether colour is special.  Count me as a B.
>
> And just for a nit - lines can have all kinds of attributes besides
> colour - thickness (i.e. bold), solid/dotted (i.e. italic), wavy (i.e.
> font face), tapered (i.e. slant), etc.  I really don't think colour
> should be considered a special attribute just because it can apply to
> things besides text.

<AOL>Me too</AOL>

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
"Bother" said Pooh as he said f**k in the wrong conf.

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
In reply to this post by Bert Freudenberg
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>

Also from the point of view of developing meta tools and things, a
clear way to make sure the stuff in methods and class comments be
perfectly plain is very desirable.  (That need was the origin of this
patch if I remember correctly.)

(It could be at another key combination but) B.

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Sam Adams-2

B +1

Sam S. Adams, CTO - Contextual Computing
IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
Mobile: 919-696-6064, email: [hidden email]
Assistant: Linda R. Morrison. (720) 395-0460 Fax: (845) 491-4318, Tie: 676-0460, [hidden email]
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, 1 Corinthians 1:10>>

Inactive hide details for Yoshiki Ohshima ---05/24/2013 12:56:32 PM---On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert@fYoshiki Ohshima ---05/24/2013 12:56:32 PM---On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote: > On 2013-05-24, at

To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
Date: 05/24/2013 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Cmd-0
Sent by: [hidden email]

>
>

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3

The way you worded the ballot is from your position.  For fairness, I submit a version of the ballot that is worded from my position:

A)  Argh: I don't care [note: that's a fine opinion, but please do not reply]
  B)  Bert:  Cmd-0 should adjust Text emphasis, plus make a color-change.
  C)  Chris:  Cmd-0 should remove Text emphasis, preserving the selected color.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-05-24, at 19:07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

The way you worded the ballot is from your position.  For fairness, I submit a version of the ballot that is worded from my position:

B)  Bert:  Cmd-0 should adjust Text emphasis, plus make a color-change.

Hehe. How about this for compromise - I only changed mine.

B)  Bert:  Cmd-0 should remove Text emphasis, and remove all selected colors.

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Yoshiki, if you say it can be another key combination, then that would be a vote for what I want..

There seems to be some confusion about what we're voting about.

A) Don't care.
B) 
   Cmd+0 = remove all emphasis attributes including color.
   Shift+Cmd+0 = remove all Text-specific emphasis.
C)
   Cmd+0 = remove all Text-specific emphasis.
   Shift+Cmd+0 = remove all emphasis attributes including color.

If you previously were voting about semantics and this changes your vote, please vote again.

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yoshiki, if you say it can be another key combination, then that would be a
> vote for what I want..
>
> There seems to be some confusion about what we're voting about.
>
> A) Don't care.
> B)
>    Cmd+0 = remove all emphasis attributes including color.
>    Shift+Cmd+0 = remove all Text-specific emphasis.
> C)
>    Cmd+0 = remove all Text-specific emphasis.
>    Shift+Cmd+0 = remove all emphasis attributes including color.
>
> If you previously were voting about semantics and this changes your vote,
> please vote again.

The trouble is that shift-0 has some other characters in different
keyboards.  I'd think that Cmd-0 should remove all emphasis attribute
including color (clear and simple feature to a clear and simple place)
 and then some other key combination, and then find somewhat more
obscure place to put the other feature.

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Darius Clarke
How about a three state toggle? 

It seems Cmd+0 is less likely to be toggled back to "and back to everything it was before ... what ever it was".

A three state toggle can suggest a progression from all attributes, to less attributes, to no attributes.

Just document the tri-state in the help.

- Darius

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape
B

Am 24.05.2013 um 18:29 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

Progress ;)

- Chris

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Alexander Lazarević
B

2013/5/24 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>
B

Am 24.05.2013 um 18:29 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

Progress ;)

- Chris

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Rollandin

+1 for B

Stef