The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

commits-2
Chris Muller uploaded a new version of ReleaseBuilder to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

Name: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143
Author: cmm
Time: 8 August 2016, 8:44:19.037434 pm
UUID: 83ea1203-93ba-4d38-9161-6f6c1597ab61
Ancestors: ReleaseBuilder-mt.142

- Suggest disable #showBoundsInHalo for this release.
- Was allowUnderscoreAsAssignment intended to be unset at some point long ago?

=============== Diff against ReleaseBuilder-mt.142 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: ReleaseBuilder class>>setPreferences (in category 'scripts') -----
  setPreferences
  "Preferences class defaultValueTableForCurrentRelease"

  " Preferences outOfTheBox."  "<-- uncomment after #defaultValueTableForCurrentRelease is fixed up."

  "General User interaction"
  Preferences
  enable: #generalizedYellowButtonMenu ;
  enable: #swapMouseButtons;
  disable: #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus.
  Morph indicateKeyboardFocus: true.
  ToolBuilder openToolsAttachedToMouseCursor: false.
  SearchBar useScratchPad: false.

  HandMorph sendMouseWheelToKeyboardFocus: false.
  HandMorph synthesizeMouseWheelEvents: true.

  "Text input."
  TextEditor
  autoEnclose: true ;
  autoIndent: true ;
  destructiveBackWord: false ;
  blinkingCursor: true ;
  dumbbellCursor: false.
  PluggableTextMorph simpleFrameAdornments: false.

  "Windows"
  SystemWindow reuseWindows: false.
  SystemWindow windowsRaiseOnClick: true.
  SystemWindow windowTitleActiveOnFirstClick: true.
  Model windowActiveOnFirstClick: false. "Not good for 800x600"

  Preferences
  disable: #showSplitterHandles;
  disable: #fastDragWindowForMorphic.
  CornerGripMorph drawCornerResizeHandles: false.
  ProportionalSplitterMorph
  smartHorizontalSplitters: false ;
  smartVerticalSplitters: false.

  "Scroll bars."
  Preferences
  enable: #scrollBarsNarrow;
  enable: #scrollBarsOnRight;
  disable: #alwaysHideHScrollbar;
  disable: #alwaysShowHScrollbar;
  disable: #alwaysShowVScrollbar.
  ScrollBar
  scrollBarsWithoutArrowButtons: true;
  scrollBarsWithoutMenuButton: true.
  ScrollPane
  useRetractableScrollBars: false.

  "Rounded corners."
  Morph preferredCornerRadius: 6.
  SystemWindow roundedWindowCorners: false.
  DialogWindow roundedDialogCorners: false.
  MenuMorph roundedMenuCorners: false.
  PluggableButtonMorph roundedButtonCorners: false.
  ScrollBar roundedScrollBarLook: false.

  "Gradients."
  SystemWindow gradientWindow: false.
  DialogWindow gradientDialog: false.
  MenuMorph gradientMenu: false.
  PluggableButtonMorph gradientButton: false.
  ScrollBar gradientScrollBar: false.

  "Shadows"
  Preferences enable: #menuAppearance3d.
  Morph useSoftDropShadow: true.

  "Lists and Trees"
  PluggableListMorph
  filterableLists: true;
  clearFilterAutomatically: false;
  highlightHoveredRow: true;
  menuRequestUpdatesSelection: true.
  PluggableTreeMorph
  filterByLabelsOnly: false;
  maximumSearchDepth: 1.

  "Standard Tools"
  Workspace shouldStyle: false.
  Browser
  listClassesHierarchically: true;
  showClassIcons: true;
  showMessageIcons: true;
  sortMessageCategoriesAlphabetically: true.
  Preferences enable: #annotationPanes;
  enable: #optionalButtons;
  enable: #diffsWithPrettyPrint;
  enable: #traceMessages;
  enable: #alternativeBrowseIt;
  enable: #menuWithIcons;
  enable: #visualExplorer.
  SystemNavigation thoroughSenders: true.
  Preferences disable: #debugLogTimestamp.

  "Halo"
  Preferences
+ disable: #showBoundsInHalo ;
- enable: #showBoundsInHalo ;
  disable: #alternateHandlesLook.

  "System"
  NetNameResolver enableIPv6: false.
  Scanner
+ allowUnderscoreAsAssignment: false;
- allowUnderscoreAsAssignment: true;
  prefAllowUnderscoreSelectors: true.

  "that's all, folks"!

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

marcel.taeumel
commits-2 wrote

Author: cmm
[...]

Hi Chris,

for out-of-the-box compatibility, I would suggest to leave "allowUnderscoreAsAssignment" enabled.

Yes, we should show bounds for the halo, especially for morphs that do not appear rectangular.

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Marcel,

> for out-of-the-box compatibility, I would suggest to leave
> "allowUnderscoreAsAssignment" enabled.

Are you referring to compatibility with old, or new, applications?
Are there applications running on modern Squeak 5 still using
underscores?

At one time, I guess we thought there were sufficient issues
associated with overloading the underscore character, that we decided
to explicitly encourage applications to run FixUnderscores.

If people are actively still  preferring the use of underscore
assignment in new code today, then I can understand turning it on..

Just curious.

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

timrowledge

> On 09-08-2016, at 12:35 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If people are actively still  preferring the use of underscore
> assignment in new code today, then I can understand turning it on..

I still very much prefer the proper arrow assign but not enough to inflict a misleading underscore char on my saved code. Given our ability to handle unicode I’d love to see proper up-arrow and left-arrow being used - even if they were translated back to ^ & := on fileout (and converse on filein of course). Unicode U+2190/1 anyone?
That’s ← & ↑

tim
Fractured Idiom:- QUIP PRO QUO - A fast retort

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

Tobias Pape

On 09.08.2016, at 22:00, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 09-08-2016, at 12:35 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If people are actively still  preferring the use of underscore
>> assignment in new code today, then I can understand turning it on..
>

> I still very much prefer the proper arrow assign but not enough to inflict a misleading underscore char on my saved code. Given our ability to handle unicode I’d love to see proper up-arrow and left-arrow being used - even if they were translated back to ^ & := on fileout (and converse on filein of course). Unicode U+2190/1 anyone?
> That’s ← & ↑
\
I wanted to do that for years, actually. But then I saw the limitation of todays typewri^H^H^H^H^H^H^H keyboards and the only a tad desolate state of keyboard shortcuts in Squeak at that time and put my effort on the “dreams” shelf.

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 10:07:39PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> On 09.08.2016, at 22:00, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> On 09-08-2016, at 12:35 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> If people are actively still  preferring the use of underscore
> >> assignment in new code today, then I can understand turning it on..
> >

> > I still very much prefer the proper arrow assign but not enough to inflict a misleading underscore char on my saved code. Given our ability to handle unicode I???d love to see proper up-arrow and left-arrow being used - even if they were translated back to ^ & := on fileout (and converse on filein of course). Unicode U+2190/1 anyone?
> > That???s ??? & ???
> \
> I wanted to do that for years, actually. But then I saw the limitation of todays typewri^H^H^H^H^H^H^H keyboards and the only a tad desolate state of keyboard shortcuts in Squeak at that time and put my effort on the ???dreams??? shelf.

Take a look at how Juan has handled the assignment arrow issue in Cuis.
If you have not done so before, please take a few minutes to download a
Cuis image and check it out.

Dave

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Chris Muller-3 wrote
Hi Marcel,

> for out-of-the-box compatibility, I would suggest to leave
> "allowUnderscoreAsAssignment" enabled.

Are you referring to compatibility with old, or new, applications?
Are there applications running on modern Squeak 5 still using
underscores?

At one time, I guess we thought there were sufficient issues
associated with overloading the underscore character, that we decided
to explicitly encourage applications to run FixUnderscores.

If people are actively still  preferring the use of underscore
assignment in new code today, then I can understand turning it on..

Just curious.
Oh, I misread that change.

Why would you actually disable the bounds in the halo? Do they need to be themed? =)

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

timrowledge

> On 09-08-2016, at 5:48 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> …

> Take a look at how Juan has handled the assignment arrow issue in Cuis.
> If you have not done so before, please take a few minutes to download a
> Cuis image and check it out.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. Underscores within method names etc are an Abomination Unto Nuggan. And yes, I understand that some FFI related apis require us to avert our gazes and deal with the Great Apostate Unwashed. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LJD: Lock Job on Disk

Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Heh, I actually do think themeing them could be a good idea
eventually.  Its either a debugging tool or an app tool, OR an app
intrusion.