The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

12

The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

commits-2
Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Name: Kernel-cmm.757
Author: cmm
Time: 3 May 2013, 11:37:02.186 am
UUID: 655c18f5-1a73-4fae-bd0d-0e2bb4bb06d7
Ancestors: Kernel-dtl.756

- Added convenience methods for creating DateAndTimes relative to now.
- When materializing Floats via fromIEEE32Bit:, use the canonicalized 0.0.

=============== Diff against Kernel-dtl.756 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Duration>>ago (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
+ ago
+ "Answer the DateAndTime which was the receiver's duration ago.
+ e.g., 5 minutes ago.  2 days ago."
+ ^ DateAndTime now - self!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Duration>>fromNow (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
+ fromNow
+ "Answer the DateAndTime which which occurs the receiver's duration from now.
+ e.g., 5 minutes fromNow.  2 days fromNow."
+ ^ DateAndTime now + self!

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Nicolas Cellier

2013/5/3 <[hidden email]>
Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Name: Kernel-cmm.757

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Chris Muller-3
"hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
other in terms of modern language use.

IMO, "ahead" and "toGo" are not a good fit.

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then we should close
> http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=7255
> See also the link to
> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24457/general-purpose-antonym-for-ago
>

> 2013/5/3 <[hidden email]>
>
>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-cmm.757
>> Author: cmm
>> Time: 3 May 2013, 11:37:02.186 am
>> UUID: 655c18f5-1a73-4fae-bd0d-0e2bb4bb06d7
>> Ancestors: Kernel-dtl.756
>>
>> - Added convenience methods for creating DateAndTimes relative to now.
>> - When materializing Floats via fromIEEE32Bit:, use the canonicalized 0.0.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Kernel-dtl.756 ===============
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: Duration>>ago (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>> + ago
>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which was the receiver's duration ago.
>> +       e.g., 5 minutes ago.  2 days ago."
>> +       ^ DateAndTime now - self!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: Duration>>fromNow (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>> + fromNow
>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which which occurs the receiver's duration
>> from now.
>> +       e.g., 5 minutes fromNow.  2 days fromNow."
>> +       ^ DateAndTime now + self!

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 3 May 2013 18:17, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
> other in terms of modern language use.
>
> IMO, "ahead" and "toGo" are not a good fit.

"5 minutes toGo" sounds a lot like a Delay!

frank

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Then we should close
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=7255
>> See also the link to
>> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24457/general-purpose-antonym-for-ago
>>

>> 2013/5/3 <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-cmm.757.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Kernel-cmm.757
>>> Author: cmm
>>> Time: 3 May 2013, 11:37:02.186 am
>>> UUID: 655c18f5-1a73-4fae-bd0d-0e2bb4bb06d7
>>> Ancestors: Kernel-dtl.756
>>>
>>> - Added convenience methods for creating DateAndTimes relative to now.
>>> - When materializing Floats via fromIEEE32Bit:, use the canonicalized 0.0.
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Kernel-dtl.756 ===============
>>>
>>> Item was added:
>>> + ----- Method: Duration>>ago (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>>> + ago
>>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which was the receiver's duration ago.
>>> +       e.g., 5 minutes ago.  2 days ago."
>>> +       ^ DateAndTime now - self!
>>>
>>> Item was added:
>>> + ----- Method: Duration>>fromNow (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>>> + fromNow
>>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which which occurs the receiver's duration
>>> from now.
>>> +       e.g., 5 minutes fromNow.  2 days fromNow."
>>> +       ^ DateAndTime now + self!

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
Are those tests recoverable? I'd like to see those in the image!

frank

On 3 May 2013 17:44, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then we should close
> http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=7255
> See also the link to
> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24457/general-purpose-antonym-for-ago
>

> 2013/5/3 <[hidden email]>
>
>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-cmm.757
>> Author: cmm
>> Time: 3 May 2013, 11:37:02.186 am
>> UUID: 655c18f5-1a73-4fae-bd0d-0e2bb4bb06d7
>> Ancestors: Kernel-dtl.756
>>
>> - Added convenience methods for creating DateAndTimes relative to now.
>> - When materializing Floats via fromIEEE32Bit:, use the canonicalized 0.0.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Kernel-dtl.756 ===============
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: Duration>>ago (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>> + ago
>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which was the receiver's duration ago.
>> +       e.g., 5 minutes ago.  2 days ago."
>> +       ^ DateAndTime now - self!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: Duration>>fromNow (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>> + fromNow
>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which which occurs the receiver's duration
>> from now.
>> +       e.g., 5 minutes fromNow.  2 days fromNow."
>> +       ^ DateAndTime now + self!

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
They're a start, but they don't cover the behaviour sufficiently (for
me, at least). But I've pushed M8R's tests to trunk.

frank

On 3 May 2013 21:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are those tests recoverable? I'd like to see those in the image!
>
> frank
>
> On 3 May 2013 17:44, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Then we should close
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=7255
>> See also the link to
>> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24457/general-purpose-antonym-for-ago
>>

>> 2013/5/3 <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-cmm.757.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Kernel-cmm.757
>>> Author: cmm
>>> Time: 3 May 2013, 11:37:02.186 am
>>> UUID: 655c18f5-1a73-4fae-bd0d-0e2bb4bb06d7
>>> Ancestors: Kernel-dtl.756
>>>
>>> - Added convenience methods for creating DateAndTimes relative to now.
>>> - When materializing Floats via fromIEEE32Bit:, use the canonicalized 0.0.
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Kernel-dtl.756 ===============
>>>
>>> Item was added:
>>> + ----- Method: Duration>>ago (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>>> + ago
>>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which was the receiver's duration ago.
>>> +       e.g., 5 minutes ago.  2 days ago."
>>> +       ^ DateAndTime now - self!
>>>
>>> Item was added:
>>> + ----- Method: Duration>>fromNow (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
>>> + fromNow
>>> +       "Answer the DateAndTime which which occurs the receiver's duration
>>> from now.
>>> +       e.g., 5 minutes fromNow.  2 days fromNow."
>>> +       ^ DateAndTime now + self!

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Colin Putney-3

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
"hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
other in terms of modern language use.

No!

"Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago." The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.

Colin

On 4 May 2013 08:34, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
>> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
>> other in terms of modern language use.
>

> No!
>
> "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago."
> The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient
> vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.

Eschew obfuscation! Espouse elucidation!

I back Colin's position with moderate strength; a compromise would be
to have both :) #fromNow would delegate to #hence, of course.

frank

> Colin

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Karl Ramberg
Hence have other meanings and could be ambiguous hence I suggest we do not use it.

Karl

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 May 2013 08:34, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
>> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
>> other in terms of modern language use.
>

> No!
>
> "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago."
> The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient
> vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.

Eschew obfuscation! Espouse elucidation!

I back Colin's position with moderate strength; a compromise would be
to have both :) #fromNow would delegate to #hence, of course.

frank

> Colin

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
While I enjoy the mockery ... to this non-native speaker, #ago and #fromNow are perfectly clear, and I can't think of a better substitute for either.

- Bert -

On 2013-05-04, at 12:09, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hence have other meanings and could be ambiguous hence I suggest we do not use it.

Karl

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 May 2013 08:34, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
>> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
>> other in terms of modern language use.
>

> No!
>
> "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago."
> The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient
> vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.

Eschew obfuscation! Espouse elucidation!

I back Colin's position with moderate strength; a compromise would be
to have both :) #fromNow would delegate to #hence, of course.

frank

> Colin

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
But the other meaning - therefore/because - is clearly distinguishable. Booleans and durations aren't that easily confused.

frank

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
While I enjoy the mockery ... to this non-native speaker, #ago and #fromNow are perfectly clear, and I can't think of a better substitute for either.

I can!

#hence is a better substitute for #fromNow.

One of the hardest problem in computing is to find names for things. We're constantly struggling to come up with names that have correct connotation and denotation, and accurately reflect the relationships that these objects of the virtual world we create have to each other. Normally we have to rely on metaphor, convention, and OverlyLongExcessivelyQualifiedNames to manage it. When there happens to be a word that precisely captures the meaning we are seeking, we should use it, even if it's not common used in every day language.

The word "cache" is a good example of this. It's actually a word with an everyday, non-technical meaning. It's also very obscure, for those of use who don't spend much time in the wilderness. But it perfectly conveys that thing that we do with data in computers, and so we use it pervasively and expect those who are unfamiliar with the term to learn it.

So it is with "hence." Who cares if the guy sitting next to you at the bar won't use it when you ask when the game starts? It's perfect for our purposes.

Colin

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Chris Muller-4
Your average syllables-per-word jumped in this mail Colin!  ;)  I had
to look up "cromulent".  Dictionary.com defines it as, "fine,
acceptable".  Why not just say "fine" then?  Ah, urban Dictionary's
definition says:  "Used in an ironical sense to mean legitimate, and
therefore, in reality, spurious and not at all legitimate. Assumes
common knowledge of the inherent Simpsons reference."

Since we already have DateAndTime "now", I think "fromNow" is the most
explicit, literal, and unambiguous term possible.  It was in the
thesaurus and is used in modern language today, making it perfectly
valid.

One more thing to consider would be to honor the original author's
("wiz" -- who is that?) and file-in his actual methods so they'll have
his 2009 timestamp on them.  That's just the archivist inside me
talking.

However, as my vocabulary is most definitely deficient, I will defer
to the academic linguists here.  Feel free to change it to #hence if
you prefer that.

*cough* http://www.lshift.net/blog/2013/04/27/how-readable-are-your-comments

>  I had
> to look up "cromulent".  Dictionary.com defines it as, "fine,
> acceptable".  Why not just say "fine" then?  Ah, urban Dictionary's
> definition says:  "Used in an ironical sense to mean legitimate, and
> therefore, in reality, spurious and not at all legitimate. Assumes
> common knowledge of the inherent Simpsons reference."
>
> Since we already have DateAndTime "now", I think "fromNow" is the most
> explicit, literal, and unambiguous term possible.  It was in the
> thesaurus and is used in modern language today, making it perfectly
> valid.
>
> One more thing to consider would be to honor the original author's
> ("wiz" -- who is that?) and file-in his actual methods so they'll have
> his 2009 timestamp on them.  That's just the archivist inside me
> talking.

Jerome Peace.

> However, as my vocabulary is most definitely deficient, I will defer
> to the academic linguists here.  Feel free to change it to #hence if
> you prefer that.

Hence (sic) my suggestion of having both, so that both the Right and
Wrong people may win!

frank

> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
>>> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
>>> other in terms of modern language use.
>>

>> No!
>>
>> "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago."
>> The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient
>> vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.
>>
>> Colin

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

timrowledge

On 04-05-2013, at 1:28 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 May 2013 08:34, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
>>> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
>>> other in terms of modern language use.
>>

>> No!
>>
>> "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago."
>> The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient
>> vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.
>
> Eschew obfuscation! Espouse elucidation!

It's important to avoid a descent into otiose prolixity

tim
Common sense – so rare it’s a goddam superpower

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

timrowledge

On 04-05-2013, at 1:28 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 May 2013 08:34, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "hence" is equally meaningful as "fromNow", but more old-world
>>> sounding.  I think "ago" and "fromNow" are more compatible with each
>>> other in terms of modern language use.
>>

>> No!
>>
>> "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for "ago."
>> The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a deficient
>> vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.
>
> Eschew obfuscation! Espouse elucidation!

It is perpetually important to elude a descent into otiose prolixity, or to propose an alternative, obviate pleonastic excess.

tim
Oxymorons: Almost exactly

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Exactly.  For example, just searching the Squeak list for the word
hence, the first one I picked randomly, someone used it in this
sentence:

   "So, the answer will be different and hence it is not the same."

Clearly, that usage of the word hence is not describing "a point in
time relative to now."

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hence have other meanings and could be ambiguous hence I suggest we do not
> use it.
>
> Karl
>

> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 May 2013 08:34, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > No!
>> >
>> > "Hence" is the proper the proper and perfectly cromulent antonym for
>> > "ago."
>> > The fact that many people use circumlocutions to compensate for a
>> > deficient
>> > vocabulary does not mitigate this truth.
>>
>> Eschew obfuscation! Espouse elucidation!
>>
>> I back Colin's position with moderate strength; a compromise would be
>> to have both :) #fromNow would delegate to #hence, of course.
>>
>> frank
>>
>> > Colin

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-cmm.757.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
Well, no, but English has a habit (as in the thing that nuns wear) of
overloading names. Put the boot into your boots, and put them in my
car's boot. Lead by example, with those lead boots. But we still
manage to make sense of it.

And hence, and henceforth, "hence" will remain "in the future" and "therefore".

frank

(I do love a good bikeshed.)

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Your average syllables-per-word jumped in this mail Colin!  ;)  I had
to look up "cromulent".  Dictionary.com defines it as, "fine,
acceptable".  Why not just say "fine" then?  Ah, urban Dictionary's
definition says:  "Used in an ironical sense to mean legitimate, and
therefore, in reality, spurious and not at all legitimate. Assumes
common knowledge of the inherent Simpsons reference."

Nah, the irony was sooo 90's and in the 21st century it just means legitimate. Of course, there's irony in *that* too.

Ok, discussions of vocabulary are always diverting, and some puns are irresistible, but I'm quite serious. "Hence" is totally the correct word here.

I'm also saddened that so many people are against it. I guess the lowest common denominator always wins in the end.

Colin

12