The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

commits-2
David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

Name: KernelTests-dtl.235
Author: dtl
Time: 4 November 2012, 1:08:04.014 pm
UUID: de45cee9-3416-4fd8-a216-b5cafe70ee57
Ancestors: KernelTests-ul.234

As of Kernel-cmm.671 Timespans created in the context of an offset will start in that offset, and when no context is available the defaultOffset for a Timespan will be zero. This affects a TimeStamp created from a string representation of itself, which will now have zero offset (UTC). Update TimeStampTest to reflect to this behavior.

=============== Diff against KernelTests-ul.234 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: TimeStampTest>>testFromSeconds (in category 'Tests') -----
  testFromSeconds
+ "A time stamp from seconds is created in the local time zone, so offset may
+ be non-zero. The test timestamp has offset zero (implying UTC). Comparison
+ to the test timestamp should succeed if and only if both time stamps are
+ created relative to the same time zone (UTC)."

+ | local utc |
+ local := self timestampClass fromSeconds: 3124958100.
+ local offset = Duration zero
+ ifTrue: [self assert: local = timestamp.]
+ ifFalse: [self deny: local = timestamp.].
+ utc := local offset: Duration zero.
+ self assert: utc = timestamp.!
- self
- assert: (self timestampClass fromSeconds: 3124958100) = timestamp.!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: TimeStampTest>>testReadFromA1 (in category 'testing') -----
  testReadFromA1
+ "Conversion to and from a string (with implied UTC offset) is equal if
+ and only if the time stamp has zero offset."
  |ts|
+ ts := TimeStamp current offset: Duration zero. "current as UTC"
+ self assert: (ts = (TimeStamp fromString: ts asString)).
+ ts := TimeStamp current offset: (Duration hours: 1).
+ self deny: (ts = (TimeStamp fromString: ts asString)).
+ !
- ts := TimeStamp current.
- self assert: (ts = (TimeStamp fromString: ts asString)).!

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 4 November 2012 18:09,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

> Name: KernelTests-dtl.235
> Author: dtl
> Time: 4 November 2012, 1:08:04.014 pm
> UUID: de45cee9-3416-4fd8-a216-b5cafe70ee57
> Ancestors: KernelTests-ul.234
>
> As of Kernel-cmm.671 Timespans created in the context of an offset will start in that offset, and when no context is available the defaultOffset for a Timespan will be zero. This affects a TimeStamp created from a string representation of itself, which will now have zero offset (UTC). Update TimeStampTest to reflect to this behavior.
>
> =============== Diff against KernelTests-ul.234 ===============

This fixes two more failing tests, bringing us to:

* Tests.Localization.LocaleTest.testLocaleChanged (for which we need
to find a preference that differs between the 'en' and 'ja' locales')
* Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testNoObsoleteClasses (failing because
some of the Monticello tests don't properly clear up after themselves)

and, if you're running a Cog VM, also:

KernelTests.Numbers.LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic

Thanks, Dave!

frank

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:29:13AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 4 November 2012 18:09,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
> > http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

> > Name: KernelTests-dtl.235
> > Author: dtl
> > Time: 4 November 2012, 1:08:04.014 pm
> > UUID: de45cee9-3416-4fd8-a216-b5cafe70ee57
> > Ancestors: KernelTests-ul.234
> >
> > As of Kernel-cmm.671 Timespans created in the context of an offset will start in that offset, and when no context is available the defaultOffset for a Timespan will be zero. This affects a TimeStamp created from a string representation of itself, which will now have zero offset (UTC). Update TimeStampTest to reflect to this behavior.
> >
> > =============== Diff against KernelTests-ul.234 ===============
>
> This fixes two more failing tests, bringing us to:
>
> * Tests.Localization.LocaleTest.testLocaleChanged (for which we need
> to find a preference that differs between the 'en' and 'ja' locales')
> * Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testNoObsoleteClasses (failing because
> some of the Monticello tests don't properly clear up after themselves)
>
> and, if you're running a Cog VM, also:
>
> KernelTests.Numbers.LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic

Of the remaining three failures:

1) ReleaseTest>>testNoObsoleteClasses

I cannot reproduce this in my own image. I've tried running the test suite a
number of times both with and without the HudsonTools loaded, and this test
still passes. On squeakci.org, the error message is pointing us to this:

  Error Message

  AnObsoleteMCMockClassA, AnObsoleteMCMockASubclass, AnObsoleteMCMockClassB,
  AnObsoleteMCMockClassD, AnObsoleteMCMockClassE, AnObsoleteMCMockClassF,
  AnObsoleteMCMockClassG, AnObsoleteMCMockClassH and AnObsoleteMCMockClassI
  are obsolete

This suggests some kind of leftover junk from the Monticello tests, but I
cannot explain the reason.

2) LocaleTest>>testLocaleChanged

If someone can offer a suggestion as to how this should work, great.
Otherwise it is an expected failure. IMO we should give it another 24 hours
and if nobody speaks up, mark it as expected failure for resolution in the
next release.

3) LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic

This is a VM capability issue (passes on VMs with the necessary update).
It is not something that can or should be addressed in the image, therefore
IMO it should not block the 4.4 release.

Dave

On 5 November 2012 11:44, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:29:13AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 4 November 2012 18:09,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
>> > http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz
>> >
>> > ==================== Summary ====================
>> >
>> > Name: KernelTests-dtl.235
>> > Author: dtl
>> > Time: 4 November 2012, 1:08:04.014 pm
>> > UUID: de45cee9-3416-4fd8-a216-b5cafe70ee57
>> > Ancestors: KernelTests-ul.234
>> >
>> > As of Kernel-cmm.671 Timespans created in the context of an offset will start in that offset, and when no context is available the defaultOffset for a Timespan will be zero. This affects a TimeStamp created from a string representation of itself, which will now have zero offset (UTC). Update TimeStampTest to reflect to this behavior.
>> >
>> > =============== Diff against KernelTests-ul.234 ===============
>>
>> This fixes two more failing tests, bringing us to:
>>
>> * Tests.Localization.LocaleTest.testLocaleChanged (for which we need
>> to find a preference that differs between the 'en' and 'ja' locales')
>> * Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testNoObsoleteClasses (failing because
>> some of the Monticello tests don't properly clear up after themselves)
>>
>> and, if you're running a Cog VM, also:
>>
>> KernelTests.Numbers.LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
>>

> Of the remaining three failures:
>
> 1) ReleaseTest>>testNoObsoleteClasses
>
> I cannot reproduce this in my own image. I've tried running the test suite a
> number of times both with and without the HudsonTools loaded, and this test
> still passes. On squeakci.org, the error message is pointing us to this:
>
>   Error Message
>
>   AnObsoleteMCMockClassA, AnObsoleteMCMockASubclass, AnObsoleteMCMockClassB,
>   AnObsoleteMCMockClassD, AnObsoleteMCMockClassE, AnObsoleteMCMockClassF,
>   AnObsoleteMCMockClassG, AnObsoleteMCMockClassH and AnObsoleteMCMockClassI
>   are obsolete
>
> This suggests some kind of leftover junk from the Monticello tests, but I
> cannot explain the reason.

Yes, exactly: Levente's handy debugging info tells us that the
ReleaseTest test itself is fine. It's failing correctly because there
_are_ Undeclared things, left over from the dirty Monticello tests.

> 2) LocaleTest>>testLocaleChanged
>
> If someone can offer a suggestion as to how this should work, great.
> Otherwise it is an expected failure. IMO we should give it another 24 hours
> and if nobody speaks up, mark it as expected failure for resolution in the
> next release.

Agreed.

> 3) LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
>
> This is a VM capability issue (passes on VMs with the necessary update).
> It is not something that can or should be addressed in the image, therefore
> IMO it should not block the 4.4 release.

Ideally we'd have it an expected failure on a Cog VM and passing in
the newer interpreter VMs, but I agree that we shouldn't delay 4.4 any
further.

frank

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:21:27PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 5 November 2012 11:44, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 3) LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
> >
> > This is a VM capability issue (passes on VMs with the necessary update).
> > It is not something that can or should be addressed in the image, therefore
> > IMO it should not block the 4.4 release.
>
> Ideally we'd have it an expected failure on a Cog VM and passing in
> the newer interpreter VMs, but I agree that we shouldn't delay 4.4 any
> further.

This is not a Cog issue, it is an issue that affects all VMs. It is a
real failure (not expected) and it will go away when all VMs have been
updated.  Meantime, let's just ensure that the test is green when run on
a VM (Cog or interpreter) that *does* have the necessary fix.

For background, here is the explanation in the test comment:

testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
        "We are speaking of minimum integer in underlying hardware here.
        In 2-complement, abs(INT_MIN) = (INT-MAX+1) and thus overflows hardware register.
        Since some old VM forgot this edge case they may fail and it's better to be aware of it.
        http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=92
        http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7705
        We only test the cases of 32 and 64 bit signed integers."

BTW, kudos to Nicolas for finding and fixing this :)

Dave

On 5 November 2012 13:17, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:21:27PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 5 November 2012 11:44, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > 3) LargeNegativeIntegerTest.testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
>> >
>> > This is a VM capability issue (passes on VMs with the necessary update).
>> > It is not something that can or should be addressed in the image, therefore
>> > IMO it should not block the 4.4 release.
>>
>> Ideally we'd have it an expected failure on a Cog VM and passing in
>> the newer interpreter VMs, but I agree that we shouldn't delay 4.4 any
>> further.
>
> This is not a Cog issue, it is an issue that affects all VMs. It is a
> real failure (not expected) and it will go away when all VMs have been
> updated.  Meantime, let's just ensure that the test is green when run on
> a VM (Cog or interpreter) that *does* have the necessary fix.

I say "on a Cog VM" because the Cog VM in the squeak-ci repository
(which is, IIRC, the latest released version) drives the CI tests and
doesn't have the fix. Thus, if a random newbie downloads Cog (of the
same version that CI uses) and the latest image, they will see a red
bar when they run this test. They won't know or care about the details
of why this test passes on this VM or fails on that. That's a problem.

But you do point out below that the test at least says why it would/might fail.

frank

> For background, here is the explanation in the test comment:
>
> testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
>         "We are speaking of minimum integer in underlying hardware here.
>         In 2-complement, abs(INT_MIN) = (INT-MAX+1) and thus overflows hardware register.
>         Since some old VM forgot this edge case they may fail and it's better to be aware of it.
>         http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=92
>         http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7705
>         We only test the cases of 32 and 64 bit signed integers."
>
> BTW, kudos to Nicolas for finding and fixing this :)
>
> Dave

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

glenpaling
Frank, I realize there's much going on behind the scenes but I haven't seen any OSX and Windows test results recently. I've tested what I believe to be the current Cog VM and trunk image on my Mac and got different results from the Linux builds (see below). I also have a Windows XP machine I can run tests on. Do you want more test results? I'm uncertain which interpreter VM to use.

Image: Build 27 from: http://173.246.101.237:8080/job/SqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
VM Cog.app from: https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci

Enable IPv6 and new network support - disabled

Test Runner

3264 run, 3242 passes, 18 expected failures, 4 failures, 0 errors, 0 unexpected passes
LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged
SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
SocketTest>>#testUDP

Image
-----
/Users/eglenpaling/Documents/Smalltalk/Squeak 4.4 Testing/target Cog/TrunkImage.image
Squeak4.3
latest update: #12270
Current Change Set: Unnamed1

Virtual Machine
---------------
/Users/eglenpaling/Documents/Smalltalk/Squeak 4.4 Testing/squeak-ci-master/Cog.app/Contents/MacOS/Croquet
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.201] Croquet Cog 4.0.2585
Mac OS X built on Aug 14 2012 09:17:19 Compiler: 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
platform sources revision VM: r2585 http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Plugins: r2545 http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.201 uuid: 56cdd078-6771-401a-8bed-68402a0e283d Aug 14 2012
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.201 uuid: 56cdd078-6771-401a-8bed-68402a0e283d Aug 14 2012

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

glenpaling
Windows XP

Image: Build 27 from: http://173.246.101.237:8080/job/SqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
VM Cog.app from: https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci

Enable IPv6 and new network support - disabled

3264 run, 3242 passes, 18 expected failures, 3 failures, 1 errors, 0 unexpected passes

LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged
Win32VMTest>>#testWinVM3ButtonMousePreference

One error:
FileDirectoryTest>>#testRelativeNameIfAbsoluteFor

Image
-----
D:\Documents and Settings\palingg\My Documents\Programming\Smalltalk\Squeak\Squeak 4.4 Tests\Build 27 Cog\TrunkImage.image
Squeak4.3
latest update: #12270
Current Change Set: Unnamed1

Virtual Machine
---------------
D:\Documents and Settings\palingg\My Documents\Programming\Smalltalk\Squeak\Squeak 4.4 Tests\squeak-ci-master\cogwin\Croquet.exe
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.201]
Win32 built on Aug 14 2012 09:54:59 Compiler: 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

On 5 November 2012 17:39, glenpaling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Frank, I realize there's much going on behind the scenes but I haven't seen
> any OSX and Windows test results recently. I've tested what I believe to be
> the current Cog VM and trunk image on my Mac and got different results from
> the Linux builds (see below). I also have a Windows XP machine I can run
> tests on. Do you want more test results? I'm uncertain which interpreter VM
> to use.

Thanks, Glen.

It's not that there's stuff happening behind the scenes. It's just we
don't have official OS X and Windows build agents, so I rely on kind
folks like yourself donating time and running the tests on these
platforms.

> Image: Build 27 from:
> http://173.246.101.237:8080/job/SqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
> VM Cog.app from: https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci
>
> Enable IPv6 and new network support - disabled
>

> Test Runner
>
> 3264 run, 3242 passes, 18 expected failures, 4 failures, 0 errors, 0
> unexpected passes
> LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
> LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged
> SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
> SocketTest>>#testUDP

Would you mind producing stack traces or similar for the SocketTest
failures? I haven't seen those before.

frank

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 01:26:33PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 5 November 2012 17:39, glenpaling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Frank, I realize there's much going on behind the scenes but I haven't seen
> > any OSX and Windows test results recently. I've tested what I believe to be
> > the current Cog VM and trunk image on my Mac and got different results from
> > the Linux builds (see below). I also have a Windows XP machine I can run
> > tests on. Do you want more test results? I'm uncertain which interpreter VM
> > to use.
>
> Thanks, Glen.
>
> It's not that there's stuff happening behind the scenes. It's just we
> don't have official OS X and Windows build agents, so I rely on kind
> folks like yourself donating time and running the tests on these
> platforms.
>
> > Image: Build 27 from:
> > http://173.246.101.237:8080/job/SqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
> > VM Cog.app from: https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci
> >
> > Enable IPv6 and new network support - disabled
> >

> > Test Runner
> >
> > 3264 run, 3242 passes, 18 expected failures, 4 failures, 0 errors, 0
> > unexpected passes
> > LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
> > LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged
> > SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
> > SocketTest>>#testUDP
>
> Would you mind producing stack traces or similar for the SocketTest
> failures? I haven't seen those before.

The #testSocketReuse failure is the same one that I see on my SuSE Linux
box. Some platforms do not support this particular socket option, and
the test will fail on those platforms.

I have not seen the testUDP failure before.

Dave

OSX testUDP Failure

glenpaling
Here's the stack trace for the testUDP error:

6 November 2012 2:38:18.087 pm

VM: Mac OS - Smalltalk
Image: Squeak4.3 [latest update: #12270]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/eglenpaling/Documents/Smalltalk/Squeak 4.4 Testing/target Cog
Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/
Untrusted Dir /Users/eglenpaling/Library/Preferences/Croquet/Internet/Untrusted

Process>>pvtSignal:list:
        Receiver: a Process in Debugger class>>morphicOpenOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anException: TestFailure: Test timed out
                aList: a LinkedList()
                blocker: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                nextLink: nil
                suspendedContext: Debugger class>>morphicOpenOn:context:label:contents:fullView...etc...
                priority: 40
                myList: nil
                threadId: nil
                name: nil
                island: nil
                env: a Dictionary()

Socket>>sendData:
        Receiver: a Socket[connected]
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aStringOrByteArray: 'Hello World'
                bytesSent: 0
                bytesToSend: 11
                count: 0
        Receiver's instance variables:
                semaphore: a Semaphore()
                socketHandle: #[252 247 203 80 1 0 0 0 128 239 52 0]
                readSemaphore: a Semaphore()
                writeSemaphore: a Semaphore()

SocketTest>>testUDP
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

SocketTest(TestCase)>>performTest
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

[] in [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

BlockClosure>>on:do:
        Receiver: [closure] in [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                exception: an ExceptionSet
                handlerAction: [closure] in [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
                handlerActive: false
        Receiver's instance variables:
                outerContext: [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
                startpc: 62
                numArgs: 0

[] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

BlockClosure>>ensure:
        Receiver: [closure] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
                complete: nil
                returnValue: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                outerContext: SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
                startpc: 153
                numArgs: 0

SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
                seconds: 5
                delay: a Delay(5000 msecs)
                watchdog: a Process in Process>>terminate
                theProcess: #(nil)
        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

[] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

BlockClosure>>ensure:
        Receiver: [closure] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
                complete: nil
                returnValue: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                outerContext: SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
                startpc: 45
                numArgs: 0

SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: a Socket[connected]
                serverSocket: a Socket[connected]

[] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[destroyed]
                clientSocket: a Socket[destroyed]
                serverSocket: a Socket[destroyed]

BlockClosure>>ensure:
        Receiver: [closure] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
                complete: nil
                returnValue: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                outerContext: SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
                startpc: 62
                numArgs: 0

SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testUDP
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testUDP
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[destroyed]
                clientSocket: a Socket[destroyed]
                serverSocket: a Socket[destroyed]

[] in TestRunner>>debugSuite:
        Receiver: a TestRunner
        Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
        Receiver's instance variables:
                categories: #(#'KernelTests-Chronology' #'KernelTests-Classes' #'KernelTests-Me...etc...
                categoriesSelected: a Set()
                classes: {TestCase . AllocationTest . ArbitraryObjectSocketTestCase . ArrayLite...etc...
                classIndex: 0
                classesSelected: a Set(WeakMessageSendTest MCAncestryTest SemaphoreTest Depende...etc...
                failedList: {LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic . ...etc...
                failedSelected: SocketTest>>#testUDP
                errorList: #()
                errorSelected: nil
                lastUpdate: 3529655505
                result: 3264 run, 3242 passes, 18 expected failures, 4 failures, 0 errors, 0 un...etc...
                previousRun: nil
                categoryPattern: nil
                classPattern: nil

[] in [] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection(SocketTest>>#testUDP)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: {SocketTest>>#testUDP . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . ...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 1

OrderedCollection>>do:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection(SocketTest>>#testUDP)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in [] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress...etc...
                index: 1
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: {SocketTest>>#testUDP . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . ...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 1

[] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection(SocketTest>>#testUDP)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: {SocketTest>>#testUDP . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . nil . ...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 1

--- The full stack ---
Process>>pvtSignal:list:
Socket>>sendData:
SocketTest>>testUDP
SocketTest(TestCase)>>performTest
[] in [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
[] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
BlockClosure>>ensure:
SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
[] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
BlockClosure>>ensure:
SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
[] in TestRunner>>debugSuite:
[] in [] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:
OrderedCollection>>do:
[] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

glenpaling
These tests both fail with a virgin copy of Squeak 4.3. They weren't present in 4.2.

In regard to socket reuse, this document: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/setsockopt.2.html says that it's supported, however, only mentions receiving: "This option permits multiple instances of a program to each receive UDP/IP multicast or broadcast datagrams destined for the bound port." The failing test performs a send on one socket and a receive on another. Could this be the problem? I'll tinker with UDP sockets tonight to see if I can get two receiving. Here's the stack:

VM: Mac OS - Smalltalk
Image: Squeak4.3 [latest update: #12270]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/eglenpaling/Documents/Smalltalk/Squeak 4.4 Testing/target Cog
Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/
Untrusted Dir /Users/eglenpaling/Library/Preferences/Croquet/Internet/Untrusted

SocketTest(TestCase)>>signalFailure:
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aString: 'Assertion failed'
        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testSocketReuse
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: nil
                serverSocket: nil

SocketTest(TestCase)>>assert:
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBooleanOrBlock: false
        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testSocketReuse
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: nil
                serverSocket: nil

SocketTest(TestCase)>>should:
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in [] in SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testSocketReuse
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: nil
                serverSocket: nil

[] in SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
        Receiver: SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
        Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
        Receiver's instance variables:
                testSelector: #testSocketReuse
                timeout: nil
                listenerSocket: a Socket[waitingForConnection]
                clientSocket: nil
                serverSocket: nil

BlockClosure>>ensure:
        Receiver: [closure] in SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
                complete: nil
                returnValue: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                outerContext: SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
                startpc: 123
                numArgs: 0

[...]

                categoriesSelected: a Set(#'NetworkTests-Kernel')
                classes: {SocketStreamTest . SocketTest}
                classIndex: 2
                classesSelected: a Set(SocketTest)
                failedList: {SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse . SocketTest>>#testUDP}
                failedSelected: SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
                errorList: #()
                errorSelected: nil
                lastUpdate: 3529673470
                result: 14 run, 12 passes, 0 expected failures, 2 failures, 0 errors, 0 unexpec...etc...
                previousRun: nil
                categoryPattern: nil
                classPattern: nil

--- The full stack ---

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 01:56:51PM -0800, glenpaling wrote:

> These tests both fail with a virgin copy of Squeak 4.3. They weren't present
> in 4.2.
>
> In regard to socket reuse, this document:
> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/setsockopt.2.html
> says that it's supported, however, only mentions receiving: "This option
> permits multiple instances of a program to each /receive/ UDP/IP multicast
> or broadcast datagrams destined for the bound port." The failing test
> performs a send on one socket and a receive on another. Could this be the
> problem? I'll tinker with UDP sockets tonight to see if I can get two
> receiving. Here's the stack:

Thanks Glen,

The tests were probably written on a Windows system, and it is likely
that differences among the various platforms will produce different results.
If you can figure out why the test is failing, we can maybe provide a
better explanation in the test comments, or possibly change the test to
accommodate the differences.

Dave

> [...]
> classPattern: nil
>

> --- The full stack ---
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>signalFailure:
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>assert:
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>should:
> [] in SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
> BlockClosure>>ensure:
> SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>performTest
> [] in [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
> BlockClosure>>on:do:
> [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
> BlockClosure>>ensure:
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
> [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
> BlockClosure>>ensure:
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>runCase
> [] in SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
> BlockClosure>>ensure:
> SocketTest(TestCase)>>debug
> [] in TestRunner>>debugSuite:
>  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The problem is UDP send doesn't work. I tried the Interpreter version in the Squeak 4.3 All-In-One, Pharo 1.4 All-In-One behave the same. The good news is I tried an OpenQwaq 1.0.01 based version of Krestianstvo (2.0.5a). It works! I dragged-and-dropped the 12070 TrunkImage onto Krestianstvo and successfully ran the networks tests. I thought it might be useful to run all the tests with this VM. Here's the results:

Test Runner

3264 run, 3242 passes, 18 expected failures, 4 failures, 0 errors, 0 unexpected passes
AllocationTest>>#testOneGigAllocation
FileStreamTest>>#testPositionPastEndIsAtEnd
LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged

Image
-----
/Users/eglenpaling/Documents/Smalltalk/Squeak 4.4 Testing/target Cog/TrunkImage.image
Squeak4.3
latest update: #12270
Current Change Set: Unnamed1

Virtual Machine
---------------
/Users/eglenpaling/Documents/Smalltalk/Build/All in ones/Krestianstvo2.0.5a.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenQwaq
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-eem.727] OpenQwaq 1.0.01
Mac OS X built on Nov  5 2010 12:09:46 Compiler: Intel(R) C++ gcc 4.2 mode
CoInterpreter VMMaker-eem.727 uuid: ddd40ec5-cf16-45d0-876f-d465abbddd04 Feb 23 2011
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-eem.727 uuid: ddd40ec5-cf16-45d0-876f-d465abbddd04 Feb 23 2011

Loaded VM Modules
-----------------
B2DPlugin VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
BMPReadWriterPlugin VMMaker-eem.524 (i)
BitBltPlugin VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
DSAPrims VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
DropPlugin VMMaker-eem.524 (i)
FilePlugin VMMaker-eem.715 (i)
FloatArrayPlugin VMMaker-ar.556 (e)
InternetConfigPlugin VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
LargeIntegers v1.5 VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
Matrix2x3Plugin VMMaker-eem.629 (i)
MiscPrimitivePlugin VMMaker-eem.584 (i)
SecurityPlugin VMMaker-eem.524 (i)
SocketPlugin VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
SoundGenerationPlugin VMMaker-eem.715 (i)
SoundPlugin VMMaker-eem.666 (i)
UUIDPlugin VMMaker-eem.715 (i)
ZipPlugin VMMaker-eem.666 (i)

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-dtl.235.mcz

David T. Lewis
Thanks Glen,

This suggests we may have something missing in the VM support.

I am not sure now if the changes that I made to testSocketReuse should
have been applied or not. My own computer (an out of date Linux system)
fails on the "udp1 setOption: 'SO_REUSEPORT' value: 1" call, and the
added assertions show this. However, I see that when the test ran on
our Jenkins server under a newer Linux, the test is now failing:

  http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnInterpreter/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/NetworkTests.Kernel/SocketTest/testSocketReuse/

So I must have made a mistake in my update. I do not have a system to
test that on, and I will be away from Squeak for a day or two, so I
will back the change out of trunk for now.

Dave