The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

commits-2
Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tools-mt.690.mcz

Name: Tools-mt.690
Author: mt
Time: 17 April 2016, 12:00:40.266542 pm
UUID: d4a2a77e-d3cf-7c49-8685-096e8f7ff578
Ancestors: Tools-cmm.689

Make the message trace tools more obvious to avoid applying a wrong user model. Regular message set and traced message set behave differently considering mouse clicks, keyboard shortcuts, etc.
There is a preference traceMessage to switch between traditional senders/implementors and the traced versions.

=============== Diff against Tools-cmm.689 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MessageTrace>>windowLabelAt: (in category 'private accessing') -----
  windowLabelAt: anInteger

  | str |
  ^(str := autoSelectStrings at: anInteger)
  ifNil:
+ [ 'Traced Implementors of ',
- [ 'Implementors of ',
  (self class
  parse: self selection
  toClassAndSelector: [ :class :selector | selector ]) ]
  ifNotNil:
+ [ 'Traced Senders of ', str ]
- [ 'Senders of ', str ]
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: StandardToolSet class>>browseMessageSet:name:autoSelect: (in category 'browsing') -----
  browseMessageSet: messageList name: title autoSelect: autoSelectString
  "Open a message set or message-trace browser, depending on the #traceMessages setting."
  ^ Preferences traceMessages
  ifTrue:
  [ MessageTrace
  openMessageList: messageList
+ name: 'Traced ', title
- name: title
  autoSelect: autoSelectString ]
  ifFalse:
  [ MessageSet
  openMessageList: messageList
  name: title
  autoSelect: autoSelectString ]!

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Chris Muller-3
I'm sorry Marcel, but I developed the behaviors of
TracingMessagesBrowser with great deliberation and care.  If you wish
to make alteratiuons, would you please collaborate with me?  As it
stands, this change to my code from Y2002 is very unwelcome and I've
rolled it back.  Let's talk.

traceMessages is not something the user is going to be flipping on and
off, so there is no need for a _constant_ indication reminder of which
"mode' they're in.  I don't know what you're trying to fix, but I
cannot stand this new clutter.  Sorry.

Maybe a different color window is what you want?  Even that seems
unnecessary, as the system simply responds appropriately to all
requests for senders and implementors by doing what the user wants for
each scenario.  the user doesn't need to "read", in advance, what the
system will do, just not surprise them.  Nothing about traceMessages
does.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 5:00 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tools-mt.690.mcz

> Name: Tools-mt.690
> Author: mt
> Time: 17 April 2016, 12:00:40.266542 pm
> UUID: d4a2a77e-d3cf-7c49-8685-096e8f7ff578
> Ancestors: Tools-cmm.689
>
> Make the message trace tools more obvious to avoid applying a wrong user model. Regular message set and traced message set behave differently considering mouse clicks, keyboard shortcuts, etc.
> There is a preference traceMessage to switch between traditional senders/implementors and the traced versions.
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-cmm.689 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: MessageTrace>>windowLabelAt: (in category 'private accessing') -----
>   windowLabelAt: anInteger
>
>         | str |
>         ^(str := autoSelectStrings at: anInteger)
>                 ifNil:
> +                       [ 'Traced Implementors of ',
> -                       [ 'Implementors of ',
>                                 (self class
>                                         parse: self selection
>                                         toClassAndSelector: [ :class :selector | selector ]) ]
>                 ifNotNil:
> +                       [ 'Traced Senders of ', str ]
> -                       [ 'Senders of ', str ]
>   !
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: StandardToolSet class>>browseMessageSet:name:autoSelect: (in category 'browsing') -----
>   browseMessageSet: messageList name: title autoSelect: autoSelectString
>         "Open a message set or message-trace browser, depending on the #traceMessages setting."
>         ^ Preferences traceMessages
>                 ifTrue:
>                         [ MessageTrace
>                                 openMessageList: messageList
> +                               name: 'Traced ', title
> -                               name: title
>                                 autoSelect: autoSelectString ]
>                 ifFalse:
>                         [ MessageSet
>                                 openMessageList: messageList
>                                 name: title
>                                 autoSelect: autoSelectString ]!

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Hi Chris,

I appreciate your visions. I like it that you want to improve Squeak's tools.

Please think thoroughly about Eliot's observations, confusions, and problems:
http://forum.world.st/deselection-broken-in-method-list-td4770141.html

Please, improve the usability of the traced message feature. If it looks like the old one, make the old user model 100% compatible.

Thank you.

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 11:36 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I appreciate your visions. I like it that you want to improve Squeak's
> tools.
>
> Please think thoroughly about Eliot's observations, confusions, and
> problems:
> http://forum.world.st/deselection-broken-in-method-list-td4770141.html

All I want is that if one clicks on the single selection in a message trace browser, the selection is deselected.  That enables applying a function to the entire list much easier than selecting the entire list, and is consistent with the tool that the preference for message trace browsers has replaced.

> Please, improve the usability of the traced message feature. If it looks
> like the old one, make the old user model 100% compatible.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 11:36 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I appreciate your visions. I like it that you want to improve Squeak's
> tools.
>
> Please think thoroughly about Eliot's observations, confusions, and
> problems:
> http://forum.world.st/deselection-broken-in-method-list-td4770141.html
>
> Please, improve the usability of the traced message feature. If it looks
> like the old one, make the old user model 100% compatible.

+1

> Thank you.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> All I want is that if one clicks on the single selection in a message trace browser, the selection is deselected.  That enables applying a function to the entire list much easier than selecting the entire list, and is consistent with the tool that the preference for message trace browsers has replaced.

The original design intent for TMB was to emulate Windows
list-selection -- by using Shift to extend selection (which currently
works) and Control to toggle individual selections, which currently
doesn't work because Control+click is already overridden for something
else I think.

My intent has always been to find a way to make Control+click work.
Is it possible?

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Of course, swipe-selection is required too (without dropping
selections like PluggableListMOrphOfMany does).

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> All I want is that if one clicks on the single selection in a message trace browser, the selection is deselected.  That enables applying a function to the entire list much easier than selecting the entire list, and is consistent with the tool that the preference for message trace browsers has replaced.
>
> The original design intent for TMB was to emulate Windows
> list-selection -- by using Shift to extend selection (which currently
> works) and Control to toggle individual selections, which currently
> doesn't work because Control+click is already overridden for something
> else I think.
>
> My intent has always been to find a way to make Control+click work.
> Is it possible?

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

timrowledge

> On 18-04-2016, at 9:01 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> My intent has always been to find a way to make Control+click work.
>> Is it possible?

The problem is that ctl-click is stolen to fake other-button mouse clicks, required by all those systems that don’t insist on proper three-button mice.

tim
'Profanity: the universal programming language'

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Chris Muller-3
I would like to come up with a good solution.

Are you saying Mac users use Control+Click to yellow click?

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:57 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 18-04-2016, at 9:01 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> My intent has always been to find a way to make Control+click work.
>>> Is it possible?
>
> The problem is that ctl-click is stolen to fake other-button mouse clicks, required by all those systems that don’t insist on proper three-button mice.
>
> tim
> 'Profanity: the universal programming language'

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

timrowledge

> On 18-04-2016, at 3:46 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would like to come up with a good solution.
>
> Are you saying Mac users use Control+Click to yellow click?

Not especially Mac users; after all Mac desktop machines have come with a three button mouse for decades now. Some PC mice are only two-button though (and of course there is the wrong-way-round issue too) but the most widespread problem machines are laptops with touchpads. Some Pc laptops have one or modifier buttons directly associated with the touchpad, some don’t. MacBooks don’t and you have to use the ctl/cmd keys. Or option. Or something.

If only they had all copied the Acorn RISC OS UI properly :-(

tim
Strange OpCodes: BOZO: Use Multics operating system

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 19-04-16 04:46, tim Rowledge wrote:
> MacBooks don’t and you have to use the ctl/cmd keys. Or option. Or
> something.
Something, for quite some time now. Two-finger click has been standard
since
2008 AFAIK.

Stephan

Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.690.mcz

Tobias Pape

On 19.04.2016, at 07:45, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19-04-16 04:46, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> MacBooks don’t and you have to use the ctl/cmd keys. Or option. Or something.
> Something, for quite some time now. Two-finger click has been standard since
> 2008 AFAIK.

Works quirky.
But there's no third button whatsoever…

Best