The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

12

The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .

I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.

Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Benoit St-Jean
To sum it up,

WOW!

Nice work!

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Igor Stasenko
Very nice. Actually you don't need to store them in 32bpp format.
Store only alpha component (8 bits is more than enough). Even 4 bits
per pixel will give much more nicer look than 1bit. :)

I'm looking forward for a TT fonts with good abstract protocol which
allows to cache them in  display canvas and manage them nicely. Then i
can conversate with font using this protocol to let my GLCanvas do the
rest.

On 27/04/07, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>
> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
> modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>
> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Andreas.Raab
So how did you produce those bitmaps?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>
> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
> modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>
> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Andreas,

I opened a regular "native" text editor, pasted the text, and saved the
host OS display on a BMP file. Then I edited it to add the marks that
tell the position of each glyph.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Andreas Raab escribió:

> So how did you produce those bitmaps?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>>
>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak
>> without modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>
>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Dan Ingalls
>Hi Folks,
>
>The Weekly Juan #10 is out at http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>
>I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>
>Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.

Yay, Juan.  You GO, guy!

You might be able to avoid the step of manually marking up your text-editor rendering by putting each character on a separate line, followed by , eg, "|" to identify the widths.

Really nice hack -- a great example of malleable software (and a clever mind) at work.

Ciao
        - Dan

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Diego Gomez Deck
Hi Juan,

Great job! It looks very nice. Thank you for your work.

BTW, Just take in mind one topic: Licences.

I know  that "real strong hackers" don't care about licenses, but to get
an general acceptance of your work you have to be clear about this.

As far as I know, It's not posible to "reuse" the rendering of private
fonts.

Can you try your stuff with Bitstream fonts
(http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) and Komika?

Cheers,

-- Diego

> Hi Folks,
>
> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>
> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
> modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>
> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

K. K. Subramaniam
On Friday 27 April 2007 12:50 pm, Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
> Hi Juan,
> Can you try your stuff with Bitstream fonts
> (http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) and Komika?
DejaVu (dejavu.sf.net), a Vera derivative, has better Unicode coverage.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Andrew Tween
Hi Juan,
> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>
> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
> modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>
> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.

Good work !
It's really nice to see different approaches to a problem.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Damien Pollet
On 27/04/07, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.

I get artifacts with italics and background colors, see screenshots.

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Picture 1.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Dan,

Knowing you like something I did means really a lot to me. Thank you Dan!

The problem I see with using a line for each char is that I wouldn't be
able to take the bitmap from the display, it would be too big. And it
won't be easy to edit with a text editor to tweak glyphs at will... I
know it is laborious to prepare the bitmap, but it is dog-simple. I
guess this needs some more thinking.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Dan Ingalls escribió:

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>>
>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>
>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>

> Yay, Juan.  You GO, guy!
>
> You might be able to avoid the step of manually marking up your text-editor rendering by putting each character on a separate line, followed by , eg, "|" to identify the widths.
>
> Really nice hack -- a great example of malleable software (and a clever mind) at work.
>
> Ciao
> - Dan

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Diego,

Thanks for your comments. WRT licenses, I believed that the true type
font descriptions were copyrighted, but bitmap fonts could not. And I
understand that many people, including you and small-land, are careful
on this.

Anyway, any bitmap in the correct format should work. I'll try your
suggestion.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Diego Gomez Deck escribió:

> Hi Juan,
>
> Great job! It looks very nice. Thank you for your work.
>
> BTW, Just take in mind one topic: Licences.
>
> I know  that "real strong hackers" don't care about licenses, but to get
> an general acceptance of your work you have to be clear about this.
>
> As far as I know, It's not posible to "reuse" the rendering of private
> fonts.
>
> Can you try your stuff with Bitstream fonts
> (http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) and Komika?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Diego
>

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>>
>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
>> modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>
>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Will take a look. Thanks.

Juan Vuletich

subbukk escribió:

> On Friday 27 April 2007 12:50 pm, Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
>
>> Hi Juan,
>> Can you try your stuff with Bitstream fonts
>> (http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) and Komika?
>>
> DejaVu (dejavu.sf.net), a Vera derivative, has better Unicode coverage.
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Andy!

Juan Vuletich

Andrew Tween escribió:

> Hi Juan,
>
>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>>
>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without
>> modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>
>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>

> Good work !
> It's really nice to see different approaches to a problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Damien,

I see. Will published a fixed version soon.

Thanks for the report,
Juan Vuletich

Damien Pollet escribió:
> On 27/04/07, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>
> I get artifacts with italics and background colors, see screenshots.

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

timrowledge

On 27-Apr-07, at 7:13 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> The problem I see with using a line for each char is that I
> wouldn't be able to take the bitmap from the display, it would be
> too big. And it won't be easy to edit with a text editor to tweak
> glyphs at will... I know it is laborious to prepare the bitmap, but
> it is dog-simple. I guess this needs some more thinking.

Since we do, in fact, have plugin code to render very high quality
anti-aliased fonts within Squeak, why not simply render each char
glyph to a Form, derive the appropriate metrics, add the Form to a
composite Form for the StrikeFont glyphs and get all the tedious work
done for almost free?

One nontrivial problem with simple StrikeFont type solutions is the
kerning pair issue. Systems like Cairo put a fair bit of effort into
getting that right and it does make a difference to the visual effect.

tim
Useful random insult:- Not enough sense to come in out of the rain.

On 27-Apr-07, at 9:38 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> One nontrivial problem with simple StrikeFont type solutions is the
> kerning pair issue. Systems like Cairo put a fair bit of effort
> into getting that right and it does make a difference to the visual
> effect.

As an example:-

  - from Sophie.

Strange OpCodes: RDRI: Rotate Disk Right Immediate

Picture 1.png (104 bytes) Download Attachment
Picture 1.png (13K) Download Attachment
Picture 2.png (104 bytes) Download Attachment
Picture 2.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

stephane ducasse
it would be excellent to get a bunch of free fonts like that :)
How do you create the different size?

> Anyway, any bitmap in the correct format should work. I'll try your
> suggestion.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Diego Gomez Deck escribió:
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> Great job! It looks very nice. Thank you for your work.
>>
>> BTW, Just take in mind one topic: Licences.
>>
>> I know  that "real strong hackers" don't care about licenses, but
>> to get
>> an general acceptance of your work you have to be clear about this.
>>
>> As far as I know, It's not posible to "reuse" the rendering of
>> private
>> fonts.
>>
>> Can you try your stuff with Bitstream fonts
>> (http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) and Komika?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Diego
>>

>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/
>>> Issue0010.htm .
>>>
>>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak
>>> without modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>>
>>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
I agree with the kerning issue. It is one of the disadvantages I talked
about in my page.

But, an image that already has FreeType (I guess you're talking about
it), what's the need for something like what I did? If you really care
about kerning and other issues (like in Sophie), the proper solution is
modeling the fonts and rendering them. My solution is for more modest
needs, like a programmer that wants to avoid extra complexity and is
happy with nice looking code.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

tim Rowledge escribió:

> Since we do, in fact, have plugin code to render very high quality
> anti-aliased fonts within Squeak, why not simply render each char
> glyph to a Form, derive the appropriate metrics, add the Form to a
> composite Form for the StrikeFont glyphs and get all the tedious work
> done for almost free?
>
> One nontrivial problem with simple StrikeFont type solutions is the
> kerning pair issue. Systems like Cairo put a fair bit of effort into
> getting that right and it does make a difference to the visual effect.
>

> tim
> Useful random insult:- Not enough sense to come in out of the rain.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database:
> 269.6.1/778 - Release Date: 27/4/2007 01:39 p.m.

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
I prepared each size independently. The zip file includes three of them.
To build more, it is needed to prepare more bmp files. As I said before,
I took the bits from the display from a text editor and added the marks
to find the glyphs by hand with a graphics editor.

In a few days I'll brew some more, but everybody is invited to do
whichever they like, and share them for others to use. I.e. anybody can
help!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich