Undo and 5.0

Tobias Pape
Hi all,

now that we have a non-broken (ie, working) text-undo in
trunk, we surely should backport it to 4.6/5.0. It is broken
there[1] and we should fix that bug.
  Are there any reasons not to?

Best regards
        -Tobias

[1]: (and already annoying newcomers in our courses)

Re: Undo and 5.0

marcel.taeumel
+1

(I would do it.)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Undo and 5.0

Robert Hirschfeld
+1

Thanks,
Robert

On 16 Nov 2015, at 07:39 , marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> (I would do it.)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Undo and 5.0

Levente Uzonyi-2
The problem with all backports is that they make it hard or impossible to
update your image from the Trunk, so you may get stuck with a given
version should you update your image from its dedicated repository.

Levente

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now that we have a non-broken (ie, working) text-undo in
> trunk, we surely should backport it to 4.6/5.0. It is broken
> there[1] and we should fix that bug.
>  Are there any reasons not to?
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias
>

> [1]: (and already annoying newcomers in our courses)

Re: Undo and 5.0

marcel.taeumel
I didn't get that. Why do you want to update your image "from trunk"?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Undo and 5.0

marcel.taeumel
Ah, you could want to update your 5.0 image from trunk repository to trunk state? Yeah, this may get challenging...

Best,
Marcel

Re: Undo and 5.0

Hannes Hirzel
Maybe a 5.1 release is an easier solution ....

--Hannes

On 11/19/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, you could want to update your 5.0 image from trunk repository to trunk
> state? Yeah, this may get challenging...
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Undo and 5.0

Tobias Pape

On 19.11.2015, at 14:44, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe a 5.1 release is an easier solution ....

I'd say 5.0.1 would be better.
The current trunk should actually be 5.1 when released…

> --Hannes
>
> On 11/19/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ah, you could want to update your 5.0 image from trunk repository to trunk
>> state? Yeah, this may get challenging...
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel

Backporting (was: Undo and 5.0)

Bert Freudenberg
On 19.11.2015, at 12:31, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem with all backports is that they make it hard or impossible to update your image from the Trunk, so you may get stuck with a given version should you update your image from its dedicated repository.
>
> Levente

I thought Monticello cherry-picking should allow that ...

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Undo and 5.0

Levente Uzonyi-2
Because that's how the update process was designed[1] - while it's not
stated explicitly, the rules imply a continuous delivery-style development
model - and it's good to have new features and bugfixes in existing
images. We used to do this even in our production images (starting from
3.11) up until 4.2 or so, when something broke horribly in the update
process.
Normally you should be (or should have been) able to update a 3.11
closure? image to 4.6. Since the update process doesn't have the Spur
bootstrap, the process broke at that point, but one should be able to
update an 5.0 image to the current 5.1 (alpha).

Let me reverse your question: why would you want to backport anything when
you can just get all the updates from the Trunk?

Levente

[1] https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, marcel.taeumel wrote:

> I didn't get that. Why do you want to update your image "from trunk"?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Undo and 5.0

Bert Freudenberg

> On 19.11.2015, at 15:49, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let me reverse your question: why would you want to backport anything when you can just get all the updates from the Trunk?

Because trunk contains new features, but we would backport only bug fixes.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Undo and 5.0

marcel.taeumel
> Let me reverse your question: why would you want to backport anything when
> you can just get all the updates from the Trunk?

Because normal users (students) are not able to do that. :)

Best,
Marcel