Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

1234

Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

Juan Vuletich-4
Göran Krampe wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> If we ever build enough momentum, may I suggest using Cuis as the
>> first target of such efforts? If that happened Cuis could become the
>> basis for this new Squeak.
>
> Hey, what is the homepage of Cuis? Do you have one? :) I downloaded it
> yesterday but was looking for more "words" about it. But I should fire
> it up of course and take a look.
>
> regards, Göran

I barely started writing it one night 2 weeks ago when I dumped a big
cup of hot coffee on my laptop. It died instantly. I removed the
battery, the disk, put it in the kitchen sink (the real one!) and poured
perhaps 20 liters of water over it to remove the coffee from inside.
Then I completely disassembled it and dried each part. I put it together
and incredibly it survived!

But that night I was too tired to go back to work... And later I forgot
about it.

I apologize for the rant... Here it is now:
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . It is just a start! Anyway,
please download it from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0204.zip .
The three open workspaces are much better than my words to give you a
glimpse of what is it about.

I didn't say this in the web, but Cuis is the ongoing result of 5 years
of cleaning and refactoring. It is used by several people daily, in 2
commercial projects. We have a product based on it that has been shipped
to customers for about a year now.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:59:33 +0200,
Ryan Simmons wrote:

> Rita, that is very interesting as I was wondering about whether the
> "show code textually" was actually used by kids/students.

  With proper mentors who knows it around, they sure do.

  Just a sidenote, if you google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=スクイーク スクリプト

(meaning "squeak script" in Japanese)

you get something close to million hits.  (rather 350,000 for
English).  Many pages are about the tile scripting, but quite a few
explains how to go from there to Smalltalk.

-- Yoshiki

RE: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Sebastian Sastre-2
+1 too.

Credit:
Squeak suffers from being hardly coupled with something that is intentionally
good hearted, theoretically well supported and it genuinely deserves credit for
that. But time told it was a poor design. It won't help to deny reality. In
practice it didn't work well. Is not that it was completely useless. It solves a
problem but is not the expected breakthrough. And there are reasons for that.
Make space in your mind to stop ignoring those.

Price:
The price the project (paid by its comunity) for soving that problem became
unacceptably high and that's why the current crisis happened.

UI without sense:
Squeak make countless undeniable and unjustifiable violations to UI design and
usability principles. I mean BASIC ones. Please stop rationalizing on theoretic
stuff that didn't work. Prioritize what did work (inside and outside ST
universe). Hint: there is iphone and the rest of the world. Honour design
principles or stop self lying about who can use your stuff. Decide if you want
to make software for human beings or damn engeneers/geeks.

Oprtunity:
Do less to do more. I see Squeak has proved to be extremely fertile. If Squeak
gets unbloated of features it can focus in doing less much much better and
profit from what is good at: fertile to fast implementing models.
But today nobody want just models. Those are easy. What people wants is
convenience. Convenient interfaces with sense. So the oportunity for squeak
would be to do that in interfaces that totally rock. Is not the art of the
buttons or window borders. Is not adding features. Actually removing some will
make it better. But is a lot more than that. Smalltalkers are known by its
design capabilities? other comunities do. Hear how they think. Learn. Reinvent.

Sustainability:
If a project do not have one clear mission, it will consume any momentum fast
while being unable to make rapport with any tribe to renew efforts. It could had
value to prove some theory, but in the end (today) who cares? for other pruposes
it will be invisible: #fail.
Stop making artifacts that makes you beg for tolerance about UI (AKA
manuals/education?) crying with colleagues becaouse people "don't get it". Is
not their fault! Instead do something that is worth to put money into it.
Something inspiring. Something worthy to talk about (with smalltalk outsiders).

Sorry if this sounds hard but honest feedback is more valuable than water with
sugar.

sebastian

Bert Freudenberg
I have no idea where the myth comes from that the look of Squeak's
Smalltalk development tools has anything whatsoever to do with Etoys,
but anyhow it would be a good idea to stop spreading it.

"Usability and look-and-feel" is what this thread is about so
constructive ideas (or even better code and designs) are welcome, but
blaming it on Etoys is just cheap.

- Bert -

On 02.07.2009, at 19:09, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> [...]
> Learn. Reinvent.
>
> Sustainability:
> If a project do not have one clear mission, it will consume any
> momentum fast
> while being unable to make rapport with any tribe to renew efforts.
> It could had
> value to prove some theory, but in the end (today) who cares? for
> other pruposes
> it will be invisible: #fail.
> Stop making artifacts that makes you beg for tolerance about UI (AKA
> manuals/education?) crying with colleagues becaouse people "don't
> get it". Is
> not their fault! Instead do something that is worth to put money
> into it.
> Something inspiring. Something worthy to talk about (with smalltalk
> outsiders).
>
> Sorry if this sounds hard but honest feedback is more valuable than

Dear Bert, you can note that I wasn't talking about EToys. I was being
completely general about Squeak.
Let me clarify that I said that because to destruct wrong ideas makes room for
new good ones.
Think of imploding a an old building to make a 2.0 one.
Criticism has to be qualified and useful. Not just "constructive".
Destruct crappy stuff that takes focus and momentum out of your goal.
If I talk to you about any "sugar with water" kind of criticism I'll not have
any chance of helping you to make any difference.
sebastian

Ian Trudel-2
Hello people,

There was a message for which I wanted to reply to but got lost
somewhere. Let's write something out of the blue in regard to
Usability and Look-and-Feel.

Polymorph has been mentioned but this is not a solution to the
look-and-feel, this is just a skinning framework on top of an UI.
Pharo has it by default and they have simulated existing UIs. Fine, it
looks all right. But it seems to me over doing the thing and
especially not to offer something genuine nor native UI. What's the
point? (It's rhetorical question, friends)

One has pointed the basics of the look-and-feel are not right. And I
absolutely agree with that. There is a lack of coherence in general.
My primary idea about a look-and-feel for Squeak is really a plain but
reviewed UI, a little bit more formal maybe. There are simple UIs,
which are still appealing or even colourful, like BeOS GUI, Scratch,
or some trendy Adobe AIR applications / Apple Aperture (black on black
is not for everybody's taste though).

It really doesn't need to be polymorph nor like any existing OS. There
is probably an overhead using Polymorph anyway, right? As long as it's
not ugly, newcomers will try Squeak. They will try it especially if
it's not ugly. As long as it's coherent, balanced in its colour
scheme, it's easy to spend hours after hours with Squeak for the
others.

Usability is also a big concern and would use of some simplification,
reorganization, and so on. I'm trying to get first hand experience
with a newcomer in regard to this, hopefully I'll be able to get some
data to share.

The overall attitude of some in the community is pretty much "don't
like it? change it.", "don't like Squeak? Fork it." Etc. Considering
that someone has pointed out some of us uses Squeak for more than 10
years, it's not just about usability and look-and-feel anymore, but
the big question is:

        have we got too comfy with Squeak and accepted its general state?

That's a question everybody should think about and share their
thoughts on the list. =)

Regards,
Ian
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

K. K. Subramaniam
On Wednesday 08 Jul 2009 12:03:37 pm Ian Trudel wrote:
> The overall attitude of some in the community is pretty much "don't
> like it? change it.", "don't like Squeak? Fork it." Etc.
Squeak is about personal productivity. I find it offers the path of least
resistance for personal programming projects. For some UI may be important,
but for others, it is just a means to an end. I don't know if this can be
called an attitude because Squeak's UI has absorbed many ideas over the years
without losing its ability to 'get a job done'. The pace of contributions has
slowed for sure, but such dips are a natural part of tech adoption curve.
> Considering
> that someone has pointed out some of us uses Squeak for more than 10
> years, it's not just about usability and look-and-feel anymore, but
> the big question is:
>
>         have we got too comfy with Squeak and accepted its general state?
You must be kidding :-). The diversity and volume of opinions in this list can
hardly constitute 'acceptance' ;-).

Subbu

2009/7/8 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>:
>>         have we got too comfy with Squeak and accepted its general state?
> You must be kidding :-). The diversity and volume of opinions in this list can
> hardly constitute 'acceptance' ;-).

He he he. But that's not what I meant. I think some of us got used to
what Squeak is and then oversee the fact that it's not so
approachable, especially to newcomers.

The organization in general is still messy... using my previous
example with the organization in the menus, I am still searching
things in them after 8 years using Squeak. Where was that again? Or
this? Or That? Practice makes perfect but, hey, there should be a
statutory limit. :P

Some people just sound like Squeak does not need a good spruce up. =)

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Trygve

On 2009.07.08 09:19, Ian Trudel wrote:
2009/7/8 K. K. Subramaniam [hidden email]:

        have we got too comfy with Squeak and accepted its general state?

You must be kidding :-). The diversity and volume of opinions in this list can
hardly constitute 'acceptance' ;-).

He he he. But that's not what I meant. I think some of us got used to
what Squeak is and then oversee the fact that it's not so
approachable, especially to newcomers.

The organization in general is still messy... using my previous
example with the organization in the menus, I am still searching
things in them after 8 years using Squeak. Where was that again? Or
this? Or That? Practice makes perfect but, hey, there should be a
statutory limit. :P

Some people just sound like Squeak does not need a good spruce up. =)

Ian.

+10
(I'm on my second day trying to create a simple morph that fits around a few ellipses... The side effects of simple morphic operations is staggering. "Do the right thing" -- Bah . I prefer "No surprises")
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: [hidden email]

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway

Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Igor Stasenko
I have worked with couple of man, who were using only unix console
(shell) for everything they need.
And switching to graphics mode, only when they need to use a browser
to visit sites :)

Needless to say, that they were highly productive and feel pretty
content with an obscurity & unavailability of colorful buttons/menus
etc etc.
But not all of us is such professionals, and there is a huge gap
between UI for decent user and UI for IT professional doing its job.

In same way, i heard from multiple people here, when i asked: why you
never try/use Pharo , the answer was:
 - i can't use OB, it is alien to me.
What is interesting, that as to me, the default Squeak browser and OB
are pretty much the same.
So there is another side of this: an inertia of people who mastered
something & using it , and don't see any reasons why things need to be
changed in any way.

But all of above stays between us - professionals & developers. What
we (Squeak) proposing to decent users in this regard?
I am sorry to say , but to my thinking - nearly nothing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Andreas.Raab
Igor Stasenko wrote:
> In same way, i heard from multiple people here, when i asked: why you
> never try/use Pharo , the answer was:
>  - i can't use OB, it is alien to me.
> What is interesting, that as to me, the default Squeak browser and OB
> are pretty much the same.
> So there is another side of this: an inertia of people who mastered
> something & using it , and don't see any reasons why things need to be
> changed in any way.

I think this particular question may have a different answer. I tried OB
on Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was
greeted with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not. Granted, my computer
isn't exactly the fastest, but those were all actions where with the
regular Squeak browser I feel no noticable delay whatsoever.

The other thing I noticed was that OB did not come across as very
robust. Several trivial actions (like opening a context menu in the code
pane) would just blow up.

If I'd have to guess, then the sluggishness of OB is a major hindrance
in its acceptance. As you say, since the browsers are so similar there
is really little reason to choose the slow one ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/8 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> In same way, i heard from multiple people here, when i asked: why you
>> never try/use Pharo , the answer was:
>>  - i can't use OB, it is alien to me.
>> What is interesting, that as to me, the default Squeak browser and OB
>> are pretty much the same.
>> So there is another side of this: an inertia of people who mastered
>> something & using it , and don't see any reasons why things need to be
>> changed in any way.
>
> I think this particular question may have a different answer. I tried OB on
> Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
> difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was greeted
> with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not. Granted, my computer isn't exactly
> the fastest, but those were all actions where with the regular Squeak
> browser I feel no noticable delay whatsoever.
>
> The other thing I noticed was that OB did not come across as very robust.
> Several trivial actions (like opening a context menu in the code pane) would
> just blow up.
>
> If I'd have to guess, then the sluggishness of OB is a major hindrance in
> its acceptance. As you say, since the browsers are so similar there is
> really little reason to choose the slow one ;-)

Well, i hope that will be fixed eventually by developers.
>From other side, i like a new stuff , added to OB , like icons, tests
integration (so you can run test methods by just clicking on method in
method pane) and many others.
So, you have to pay the price (extra cycles) for extra features. Of
couse, the price should be kept reasonable :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> If I'd have to guess, then the sluggishness of OB is a major hindrance in
>> its acceptance. As you say, since the browsers are so similar there is
>> really little reason to choose the slow one ;-)
>
> Well, i hope that will be fixed eventually by developers.

You mean by the users of the browser or by the OB core developers? If
the former, I find that somewhat unlikely. OB appears to be much more
complex than the regular browser; I was trying to fix the annoying bug
with the context menu blowing up but the structure was sort of a jungle
and trying to navigate that with a browser that slow turned out to
exceed my patience by a long shot ;-)

> From other side, i like a new stuff , added to OB , like icons, tests
> integration (so you can run test methods by just clicking on method in
> method pane) and many others.

I like some of it too. The tests integration is definitely helpful for
example.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

dcorking
Andreas Raab wrote:

> I tried OB on
> Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
> difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was greeted
> with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not. Granted, my computer isn't exactly
> the fastest, but those were all actions where with the regular Squeak
> browser I feel no noticable delay whatsoever.

I used a 2 GHz Intel processor, and got a delay of around a second
every time I opened a new browser window in pharo-dev 0.1.   (I used
the OB clones of the standard browsers - not any of the new browsers
or undocumented new features.  Also, I don't know if other images
perform better.)

To satisfy my curiosity, could someone point me to the results of any
code profiling done on this issue?

2009/7/9 David Corking <[hidden email]>:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> I tried OB on
>> Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
>> difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was greeted
>> with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not. Granted, my computer isn't exactly
>> the fastest, but those were all actions where with the regular Squeak
>> browser I feel no noticable delay whatsoever.
>
> I used a 2 GHz Intel processor, and got a delay of around a second
> every time I opened a new browser window in pharo-dev 0.1.   (I used
> the OB clones of the standard browsers - not any of the new browsers
> or undocumented new features.  Also, I don't know if other images
> perform better.)
>
> To satisfy my curiosity, could someone point me to the results of any
> code profiling done on this issue?

I've seen a discussion , related to this in Pharo list and related to
improving the speed.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> I tried OB on
>>> Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
>>> difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was greeted
>>> with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not.
> I've seen a discussion , related to this in Pharo list and related to
> improving the speed.

Igor, I saw your February post, so I see the low-hanging fruit has
been harvested:
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-February/005188.html

However the June pharo-dev image is slow to draw new OB windows.  (I
didn't try more recent updates)  Is OmniBrowser in Squeak equally as
slow?

As an alternative: tips to avoid frequently opening new windows may be useful.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Igor Stasenko

>> I've seen a discussion , related to this in Pharo list and related to
>> improving the speed.
>
> Igor, I saw your February post, so I see the low-hanging fruit has
> been harvested:
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-February/005188.html

Ah, no :) I meant a more recent discussion, maybe a week ago or so.

> However the June pharo-dev image is slow to draw new OB windows.  (I
> didn't try more recent updates)  Is OmniBrowser in Squeak equally as
> slow?

I never tried to install it myself, so can't tell anything about it.

> As an alternative: tips to avoid frequently opening new windows may be useful.

I don't have a recipe :)
It depends on complexity/project code widespread & your current intents.
Currently i writing some stuff which is very small addition to
existing code base, so its enough to keep 2 browser windows open for
almost all my needs.
But sometimes it happens, that you need to go and explore things
(senders/implementors etc) and very soon you could have dozens of
windows open.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Colin Putney

On 9-Jul-09, at 2:22 AM, David Corking wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> I tried OB on
>> Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
>> difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was
>> greeted
>> with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not. Granted, my computer isn't
>> exactly
>> the fastest, but those were all actions where with the regular Squeak
>> browser I feel no noticable delay whatsoever.
>
> I used a 2 GHz Intel processor, and got a delay of around a second
> every time I opened a new browser window in pharo-dev 0.1.   (I used
> the OB clones of the standard browsers - not any of the new browsers
> or undocumented new features.  Also, I don't know if other images
> perform better.)

The problem here is that "OmniBrowser" is a fairly nebulous thing.
It's a collection of packages, some of which are quite mature and
perform reasonably well, and others which are more experimental. The
configurations that tend to get installed in Squeak and Pharo are
often just the most recent commits, rather than a coherent release.

To remedy this, I'm working on polishing up a clean release, which
I'll call "OmniBrowser 2.0" and impose the same numbering scheme and
release discipline that's been working well for  Monticello 2. It
should be ready Real Soon Now.

Colin

David Corking wrote:
> I used a 2 GHz Intel processor, and got a delay of around a second
> every time I opened a new browser window in pharo-dev 0.1.   (I used
> the OB clones of the standard browsers - not any of the new browsers
> or undocumented new features.  Also, I don't know if other images
> perform better.)
>
> To satisfy my curiosity, could someone point me to the results of any
> code profiling done on this issue?

I haven't done any real profiling. But here is a starting point:

[ToolSet default browse: Behavior selector: nil] timeToRun.

On my box this takes 506 msecs in Squeak 3.10, using Pharo it's at 5020
msecs. That's 10x slower.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Gary Chambers-4
That'd be OB then.
With the StandardToolSet, Pharo0.1Core-10371, on a 2.8 Quad I get 303 ms...

Regards, Gary

ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

> David Corking wrote:
>> I used a 2 GHz Intel processor, and got a delay of around a second
>> every time I opened a new browser window in pharo-dev 0.1.   (I used
>> the OB clones of the standard browsers - not any of the new browsers
>> or undocumented new features.  Also, I don't know if other images
>> perform better.)
>>
>> To satisfy my curiosity, could someone point me to the results of any
>> code profiling done on this issue?
>
> I haven't done any real profiling. But here is a starting point:
>
> [ToolSet default browse: Behavior selector: nil] timeToRun.
>
> On my box this takes 506 msecs in Squeak 3.10, using Pharo it's at 5020
> msecs. That's 10x slower.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

1234