Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

1234

[squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Andreas.Raab
Gary Chambers wrote:
> That'd be OB then.
> With the StandardToolSet, Pharo0.1Core-10371, on a 2.8 Quad I get 303 ms...

That sounds about right. And yes, it's obviously an OB issue - this
whole discussion started out by Igor wondering why people don't like
using OB. I think a major part of the answer is just that.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]>

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Gary Chambers-4
Indeed.

Regards, Gary

ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

> Gary Chambers wrote:
>> That'd be OB then.
>> With the StandardToolSet, Pharo0.1Core-10371, on a 2.8 Quad I get 303
>> ms...
>
> That sounds about right. And yes, it's obviously an OB issue - this whole
> discussion started out by Igor wondering why people don't like using OB. I
> think a major part of the answer is just that.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]>

Lukas Renggli
> That sounds about right. And yes, it's obviously an OB issue - this whole
> discussion started out by Igor wondering why people don't like using OB. I
> think a major part of the answer is just that.

It is definitely not an issue of OB, but an issue of the extensions
that people load with OB.

If you try the Seaside One Click image you will notice that OB is only
marginally slower than the old browser.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Benoit St-Jean
Or could it be related to some preferences ???

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

> That sounds about right. And yes, it's obviously an OB issue - this whole
> discussion started out by Igor wondering why people don't like using OB. I
> think a major part of the answer is just that.

It is definitely not an issue of OB, but an issue of the extensions
that people load with OB.

If you try the Seaside One Click image you will notice that OB is only
marginally slower than the old browser.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MITlicenseclean))

Gary Chambers-4
More than likely. Auto-categories springs to mind...

Regards, Gary

future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo
MITlicenseclean))

>> That sounds about right. And yes, it's obviously an OB issue - this whole
>> discussion started out by Igor wondering why people don't like using OB.
>> think a major part of the answer is just that.
>
> It is definitely not an issue of OB, but an issue of the extensions
> that people load with OB.
>
> If you try the Seaside One Click image you will notice that OB is only
> marginally slower than the old browser.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

dcorking
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> If you try the Seaside One Click image you will notice that OB is only
> marginally slower than the old browser.

That is great news - thanks Lukas - we can be optimistic about the
future of the browsers.  I guess if someone digs into Damien's build
scripts, the difference will become evident.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/9 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Gary Chambers wrote:
>>
>> That'd be OB then.
>> With the StandardToolSet, Pharo0.1Core-10371, on a 2.8 Quad I get 303
>> ms...
>
> That sounds about right. And yes, it's obviously an OB issue - this whole
> discussion started out by Igor wondering why people don't like using OB. I
> think a major part of the answer is just that.

I don't notice very big sluggines on my quad-core.
Unless i open 5-6 windows..  :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

keith1y
For me nothing about OB is familiar. I cant find menu items, menu items
work differently, and there is this text box thing which never does
anything as I expect it to.

Perhaps some documentation would help, even a screencast.

Keith

1234