Whither Squeak?

12345

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2
I really to see that.

Stef

> Hi Ralph--
>
> > Is it possible to start with Spoon and then load in the rest of the
> > Squeak codebase?
>
> Yes indeed!
>
> I'm currently preparing a Spoon snapshot that has every last bit
> of 3.9 installed back into it (via imprinting), as a proof of
> concept. Support for imprinting is available in the most recent
> Spoon release as part of a full-featured Morphic-enabled system
> (albeit a rather old one, of 3.2 vintage, from August 2002). I'm
> also preparing to make it available separately as a SqueakMap/MC
> package, suitable for use in various 3.9 and earlier snapshots.
> Anyone will be able to move arbitrary behavior from an old snapshot
> into a Spoon snapshot.
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> improvisational musical informaticist
> www.netjam.org
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2

On 19 mai 06, at 23:36, Bryce Kampjes wrote:

> Cees De Groot writes:
>> On 5/19/06, stAiphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would dream to remove a lot of old code, but was always afraid to
>>> break too much stuff.
>>>
>> That's a valid fourth option, of course.
>
> A fifth option would be to move in smaller steps with a higher quality
> level. If all tests were always passing then it would be easier to
> assess changes and there would be a greater incentive to write tests.
>
> Having a higher quality bar would make it more difficult to make
> large changes like internationalisation and Traits but might free
> up some energy to work on the process and the tool support.
>
> My personal suspicion is a few small tool enhancements including
> a dependency mechanism for SqueakMap would provide a large benefit.
> It's possible that the process tried for 3.9 can be made to work with
> some investment in tools. I'm slightly afraid that we'll forever chase
> a perfect process and fail to get any process working well.

I agree. We still would like to have all the tests green in 3.9

Stef

> However, any serious plan for 3.10 or 4.0 whichever one is next would
> need a few people to volunteer to lead the effort. As always, it's
> those who do the work who get to decide what gets done. Discussion is
> valuable but not decisive.
>
> Bryce
> P.S. I'm away from the internet for the next week on holiday.

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2

> However, any serious plan for 3.10 or 4.0 whichever one is next would
> need a few people to volunteer to lead the effort. As always, it's
> those who do the work who get to decide what gets done. Discussion is
> valuable but not decisive.

I think that we can talk and create teams and ...
at the end of the day if people do something it happens (see MC1,
MC2, OB, harvesting).

So I would love to see a spoon-based system (= for my mini image +
loadable modules)
but I tend to stay away from the team kind of calls where the team
work one week and
fall apart. (of course this is not the case of Craig) but what we are
facing now is that
really few people proposed to help for 3.9 harvesting. So each time,
we have big discussions
about big great plans and people oppose small steps and large ones.
I would say: give me 4 cool developers for 2 years and I will jump in
big cool plans, now
if you have 2 guys working the night....I let you conclude.

> Bryce
> P.S. I'm away from the internet for the next week on holiday.
Good!

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi david

We are the faulty guys, but I'm a bit mad, because we spent a lot of
time trying to improve the system.
And this is like that this is not on purpose that we changed
ownership. So I will not continue on that path,
but I imagine that you understand what I feel.
Removing mess from this image is not an easy task for multiple reasons.

Stef

On 20 mai 06, at 05:54, David T. Lewis wrote:

> [...]
>> wouldn't be surprised if it's not quite "push-button' anymore.
>>
>> - Dan
>
> I don't want to complain about something when I don't have a
> constructive
> solution to offer, but I can't help mentioning something here. There
> is a great deal to be learned from the Squeak image, including
> concepts
> and implementations that have survived *in the image* for decades. But
> various well-intentioned efforts to improve, update, clean, enhance,
> and modularize Squeak (call it what you will) are having the
> unintended
> consequence of damaging its historical context.
>
> Case in point: SystemDictionary>>discardMVC was stamped by 'di' as of
> April 1999.  But in any recent image, I would be led to think that
> this
> method was attibutable to 'sd' and that it was originally written in
> September 2004. There is absolutely no way for someone to look at a
> current Squeak image and figure out that Dan ever had anything to do
> with it. And if I had not seen this email, I would not have thought to
> dig out an old image and see if it would still run long enough to find
> out who really wrote the method.
>
> Similarly, the well-intentioned modularization of the system would
> lead
> a newcomer to conclude that the entire object memory, virtual machine,
> and interpreter were recently created by someone with the initials
> 'tpr'.
> Worthy initials indeed, but rather misleading when the version
> histories
> show no prior authors.
>
> This is not just a matter of authorship. If I were to try using the
> #discardMVC method, it probably would not work. Looking at the method
> history, there would be nothing to clue me in as to when it last did
> work, or even whether I might reasonably expect it to have worked at
> any time in the past. But if I knew that the 'di' stamp was in effect
> as of about 1999, I would know that it did in fact work at some time
> in the past. I would know that if I were to pull out an old image of
> that general vintage, I would have a resonable chance of seeing it
> work,
> and some way to figure out how to update it for a current Squeak
> image.
>
> I do not in any way mean to diminish the contribution of folks whose
> initials do not happen to be 'di', but for me it really takes a lot of
> value (and enjoyment) out of the image when I can no longer look at
> the
> version history of methods and classes and get a sense of where they
> come from, who created them, and when they were done.
>
> I'm sorry that I don't have a constructive suggestion to offer, but I
> think it would be really nice if we could come up with a way to
> preserve
> this kind of contextual information as we evolve and improve the

Re: Whither Squeak?

Cees De Groot
On 5/20/06, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm sorry that I don't have a constructive suggestion to offer, but I
> think it would be really nice if we could come up with a way to preserve
> this kind of contextual information as we evolve and improve the image.

I agree.

Personally, though, I think that this could be surved best by a
central repository - the Squeak Museum - where every version of every
method is kept. Add a menu option 'show versions in museum', and
you're there.

This wouldn't make keeping the history dependent on the correctness of
every tool that touches the image.

Re: Whither Squeak?

Hilaire Fernandes-5

stéphane ducasse a écrit :

> about big great plans and people oppose small steps and large ones.
> I would say: give me 4 cool developers for 2 years and I will jump in
> big cool plans, now
> if you have 2 guys working the night....I let you conclude.

A promotion job toward corporate and educational institution?
Regarding the corporate supports it looks tricky as the hot stuff is not
 Smalltalk right now. Probably Seaside is really the secret weapon which
can seduce the corporate and try to get support from them. Of course
dealing with the licence is also helpful in this case.
A few big projects related to education would be helpful aswell, but I
don't see any educational institution supporting Squeak development.

Hilaire

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2
Yes this would be nice.

Stef

On 20 mai 06, at 08:51, Cees De Groot wrote:

> Personally, though, I think that this could be surved best by a
> central repository - the Squeak Museum - where every version of every
> method is kept. Add a menu option 'show versions in museum', and
> you're there.

Re: Whither Squeak?

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Cees,

you made a great suggestion:

>Personally, though, I think that this could be surved best by a
>central repository - the Squeak Museum - where every version of every
>method is kept. Add a menu option 'show versions in museum', and
>you're there.

I'd visit that museum a lot. And more so if the root is Smalltalk-80 V2.
And much more so if the museum contained some snapshots and sources files from
the past, like from Smalltalk-80 V2. And some virtual machines running on
contemporary platforms, that can read those ancient snapshots, like Hobbes. And
some virtual machines that can save those images as well, like ???.

Greetings
Wolfgang

PS: Only the second part from Dieter Rahm's motto in my signature applies to
this wish list. :-) (in English it says "less but better")

--
Weniger, aber besser.

re: Whither Squeak?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Dan--

 > I worked out removal of MVC ages ago.  It left a few pieces of
 > Paragraph as I recall, but it was a push-button operation called
 > discardMVC back in those days.

        It may have been automatic to run, but you had to invoke knowledge
about how MVC works to write it. The GC-based removal of inert methods
and classes in Spoon (which removes far more than just MVC) works
independently of the implementation details of the removed behavior, and
is also automatic.

        And it runs in the time it takes to do a full garbage collection (less
than a second).

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Whither Squeak?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Cees De Groot puso en su mail :

> I agree.
>
> Personally, though, I think that this could be surved best by a
> central repository - the Squeak Museum - where every version of every
> method is kept. Add a menu option 'show versions in museum', and
> you're there.
>
> This wouldn't make keeping the history dependent on the correctness of
> every tool that touches the image.
Very, very good !!

As I was talking about a centralized repository of classes of where your
image could load what is needed, this is what want to do.

If nobody objects, I run for being "el portero" (door man / concierge) of
that Museum.

I could start a Museum collecting on "elpelotero" what I share from a while
and when a 24/24 server and management was settled, I put all stuff there.

Edgr

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Whither Squeak?

Daniel Vainsencher-3
Hi Ralph

Improving design:
------------------------------
One of the problems is that Squeak did much of its growth without any
explicit package system. As a side effect, these systems usually enforce
a-cyclic dependencies. Cyclic dependencies (considering just
compilation-time-obvious dependencies, like a method in one class
refering to a parent) are rampant in Squeak (see references to Morph),
making it difficult to decompose.

I wrote some code to aid finding, reducing and keeping down the
incidence of such dependencies, called MudPie[1] (available from
SqueakMap, I don't guarantee it works 3.9, but will if there's
interest). DanI wrote some other modularization aid code. Some people
have looked at these efforts, for example Juan, and tried to use them -
I'll let them speak about their usefulness and/or problems. I would call
neither tools, since they didn't include a real UI and such, which is
sufficient cause for them to never have become widely used.

Package system:
--------------------------
I believe that the management of the code of Squeak in tool supported
packages is a critical component of any solution - this is the only way
to keep the boundaries up to date. So the existance of MC exists makes
this task somewhat feasible, but there have been various problems with
its use to manage the whole image.

- Performance (loading updates to the image using MC is much slower than
- System changes (like introducing Traits) require going through various
intermediate stages, but MC itself only model merging the code in order
to reach the final stage to be loaded.
- Workflow:
-- Support for cherry picking is very basic in current MC (which MC2
should improve).
-- MC is quite workflow agnostic, but maintaining Squeak does require
some workflow (people write fixes, other people merge them), and
maintaining it as a set of packages requires even more of it
(coordination of entry of package changes into the official release).
Right now we use a combination of SqueakSource, Mantis, and email, glued
together by (what seems to me like) lots of overhead.

Daniel Vainsencher
[1] listed in
http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/journals/cl/cl30.html

> On 5/19/06, Cees De Groot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  the tools have
>> performance problems when trying to manage the whole image.
>
> Can you be specific?  What tools?  Can you give stories of how tools
> failed you?
>
>> On a more philosophical stance, Squeak has grown organically. And
>> anything organic tends to get fuzzy, maybe even almost fractal,
>> borders between the various parts. Try separating a leaf from its
>> stem, on the cell level, for starters...
>
> Squeak is a bit more extreme than others, but not a lot.  As Fred
> Brooks said, all successful large systems started as successful small
> systems.  Organic growth is typical, not atypical.  Refactoring is a
> lot of hard work and Squeak doesn't have people being paid to do this
> kind of work.  But I find it hard to believe that Squeak is worse than
> Word, or Gnu EMACS, or any other large system that has been around for
> a long time.  The difference is that Microsoft pays people a lot of
> money to modularize Word.  It goes though periods of organic growth,
> and then periods of modularization as they try to reuse code across
> projects or within Word.  Most software does this.
>
> This is why I think modularizing Squeak is an interesting project,
> because we can learn lessons from it that will apply to all software.
> So, we need to write about what we are doing, the problems we
> discover, and the lessons we learn.
>
> Squeak hasn't needed to be modular enough for people to do the work to
> make it so.  Now it does.  (Well, it probably has for several years,
> so "now" means "the last few years".)
>
> -Ralph Johnson

RE: Whither Squeak?

Torsten Sadowski-2
Hi Peter,

ineffective is probably the wrong word. Wasteful is better. If 2 software
packages need the same nonstandard base it is likely both would would
bring a copy. This is simple but wasteful and would not work for Squeak.

Torsten

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Peter Crowther wrote:

> > From: Torsten Sadowski
> [...]
> > There is no package system from Apple.
> > Large chunks of software reside in app bundles and frameworks which is
> > very modular but on the other hand ineffective. If I want to publish
> > software based on something not in the base system I put
> > everything I need
> > in the app bundle. And someone else does the same...
>
> Yes.  Microsoft have gone down the same route with .Net (and, in fact,
> with their application recommendations since the betas of Windows 2000 -
> about 8 years now).  It's the only way they've found to prevent the "DLL
> Hell", or more generally dependency hell, that plagues modular systems.
> It also means that an app bundle is standalone, requiring nothing more
> than a base system and certainly not requiring access to a package
> repository.  I don't know about you, but the incidence of applications
> that won't run because of incompatibilities has fallen markedly on the
> systems I manage since that time.
>
> I'm interested.  Why is this 'ineffective'?
>
> - Peter

Re: Whither Squeak?

David T. Lewis
Hi Stef,
I don't think that this is anybody's "fault" and I apologize if I
sounded that way (especially since I used your initials in the
example, sorry about that).

I just raised the issue because it is important to me, and I hope
that there are ways to improve the tools. For example, Cees suggested
a "Squeak museum", and maybe there are other ideas as well. Thinking
of a "museum" repository makes me think of a sources file implemented
in Magma plus Seaside.

And of course, thanks to Doug Way for Squeak3.9a.from.3.0.image which
shows that the history is not really lost, it's just no longer
visible in recent images:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-January/099299.html

Dave

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 08:33:59AM +0200, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi david
>
> We are the faulty guys, but I'm a bit mad, because we spent a lot of
> time trying to improve the system.
> And this is like that this is not on purpose that we changed
> ownership. So I will not continue on that path,
> but I imagine that you understand what I feel.
> Removing mess from this image is not an easy task for multiple reasons.
>
> Stef
>
> On 20 mai 06, at 05:54, David T. Lewis wrote:
<snip>

> > I'm sorry that I don't have a constructive suggestion to offer, but I
> > think it would be really nice if we could come up with a way to
> > preserve
> > this kind of contextual information as we evolve and improve the
> > image.

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2
ok for me.

What I can tell you is that if people do not do it this will not happen.
We will try to get the full history image running but this is not
really clear that this will work
since MC loading is sooooooooo slow.

Stef

> Hi Stef,
> I don't think that this is anybody's "fault" and I apologize if I
> sounded that way (especially since I used your initials in the
> example, sorry about that).
>
> I just raised the issue because it is important to me, and I hope
> that there are ways to improve the tools. For example, Cees suggested
> a "Squeak museum", and maybe there are other ideas as well. Thinking
> of a "museum" repository makes me think of a sources file implemented
> in Magma plus Seaside.
>
> And of course, thanks to Doug Way for Squeak3.9a.from.3.0.image which
> shows that the history is not really lost, it's just no longer
> visible in recent images:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-January/
> 099299.html
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 08:33:59AM +0200, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> Hi david
>>
>> We are the faulty guys, but I'm a bit mad, because we spent a lot of
>> time trying to improve the system.
>> And this is like that this is not on purpose that we changed
>> ownership. So I will not continue on that path,
>> but I imagine that you understand what I feel.
>> Removing mess from this image is not an easy task for multiple
>> reasons.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On 20 mai 06, at 05:54, David T. Lewis wrote:
> <snip>
>>>
>>> I'm sorry that I don't have a constructive suggestion to offer,
>>> but I
>>> think it would be really nice if we could come up with a way to
>>> preserve
>>> this kind of contextual information as we evolve and improve the
>>> image.

RE: Whither Squeak?

Peter Crowther-2
> From: Torsten Sadowski
> ineffective is probably the wrong word. Wasteful is better.

In one sense, I agree with that: Microsoft's MFC libraries must be
copied billions of times around the world, and that's a lot of bits.  In
another sense, I don't: debugging time is expensive, and debugging time
replicated across tens of millions of computers with different
combinations of libraries (so that the same solution cannot be applied
to all) is therefore very expensive indeed.

> If 2 software
> packages need the same nonstandard base it is likely both would would
> bring a copy.

Yes, that's the idea.

> This is simple but wasteful and would not work for Squeak.

At present, it would not work for Squeak.  Maybe it 'should' in some
sense - this would require significant work unless the simplest possible
approach was taken of running each application in its own memory space.
That's the approach taken by most OSs of the last 30 years, now that the
hardware has memory management capabilities.  If we regard Squeak as an
OS-equivalent, maybe we should look at giving some inter-process or at
least inter-application protection.

                - Peter

RE: Whither Squeak?

Alan L. Lovejoy

Peter: "If we regard Squeak as an OS-equivalent, maybe we should look at
giving some inter-process or at least inter-application protection."

Applications are not the core issue, if by "application" one means a
unified, coherent body of code, whose content is governed by a single
distributor (which may be a team or organization,) and where each such
application lives in its own image.  The app dev team can and should be
responsible for ensuring all the necessary versions of the necessary modules
are present and accessible.

The issue is multiple shared libraries (or multiple applications sharing the
same image.)  The former is a necessity.  The latter is only necessary when
Squeak is being used in an OS-like way.

Although some may care deeply about the OS-like usage of Squeak, others may
not.  But integrating shared libraries from multiple, independent sources
into a single image is a problem that affects everyone.  That's the core
issue.  Solve that, and the "multiple application" case will probably be
solved also.

--Alan

Re: Whither Squeak?

Cees De Groot
On 5/20/06, Alan Lovejoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Solve that, and the "multiple application" case will probably be
> solved also.

Amen. And I'll just add to that that projects like Islands and
Squeak-E are promising steps into that direction :)

Re: Whither Squeak?

Mark S. Miller
Cees De Groot wrote:
> On 5/20/06, Alan Lovejoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Solve that, and the "multiple application" case will probably be
>> solved also.
>>
> Amen. And I'll just add to that that projects like Islands and
> Squeak-E are promising steps into that direction :)

Yes, if they provide the "Loader Isolation" explained on page 77 of
<http://www.cypherpunks.to/erights/talks/thesis/markm-thesis.pdf>.

     --MarkM

re: Whither Squeak?

ccrraaiigg

        Cees writes:

 > ...I think that this could be surved best by a central repository -
 > the Squeak Museum - where every version of every method is kept. Add a
 > menu option 'show versions in museum', and you're there.
 >
 > This wouldn't make keeping the history dependent on the correctness of
 > every tool that touches the image.

        This would be a great remote browsing application for Spoon. Just make
the providing "museum" system read-only.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Whither Squeak?

Colin Putney
Hi Daniel, Ralph,

I think Daniel is absolutely right in his focus on cyclic
dependencies. The difficulty in decomposing Squeak is because of the
interaction of three factors, IMO:

1) It's awfully difficult to collaborate, especially in ad-hoc,
distributed communities, without good version control

2) Monticello doesn't deal well at all with large, monolithic bodies
of code or cyclic dependencies

3) Squeak is large, monolithic body of code rife with ill-defined and
often cyclic dependencies

As a point of comparison, look at the Seaside sub-community. Seaside2
has been under version control for its entire life, and the Seaside
community has generally adopted Monticello for their Seaside
projects. The issues we've struggled with and repeatedly debated in
Squeak have been resolved without much discussion or effort in
Seaside. The code base is modular and generally-well factored. Most
packages are reasonably well maintained, but even packages with
absentee maintainers tend to get fixes and "hacked" versions are
available in one place or another. This works because the Seaside
community just treats the underlying platform as a mostly opaque
substrate and builds everything on top of it.

More comments inline:

On May 20, 2006, at 6:42 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Package system:
> --------------------------
> I believe that the management of the code of Squeak in tool
> supported packages is a critical component of any solution - this
> is the only way to keep the boundaries up to date. So the existance
> of MC exists makes this task somewhat feasible, but there have been
> various problems with its use to manage the whole image.
>
> - Performance (loading updates to the image using MC is much slower
> than loading changesets).

There are several aspects to this, but the primary one is that MC
doesn't version code so much as packages. Because of the dependency
issues in Squeak, packages are either really big, or a "small" change
touches a lot of them. Either way, it means moving a lot more data
and doing more work to update image than what is required for a
change set. In practice, that makes it too slow everyday workflow.

MC2 actually versions code, so it has a lot more flexibility. It
would be possible, for example, to create an update stream of
"versioned changesets" that wouldn't carry too much overhead compared
to the classical update stream.

> - System changes (like introducing Traits) require going through
> various intermediate stages, but MC itself only model merging the
> code in order to reach the final stage to be loaded.

Yes. It's surprising how little this has affected at the higher
levels of the system. (For example, MC can usually update itself
without problems.) To manage all of Squeak, though, I don't think
we'll be able to escape having some kind of update stream based on
filing in arbitrary code.

MC2 can help with this part as well. It can do atomic updates to the
image, so the cases that require carefully orchestrated migrations
should be very rare. I'm imagining only issuing updates every year or
two, and having stuff stay pretty compatible in between updates.

> - Workflow:
> -- Support for cherry picking is very basic in current MC (which
> MC2 should improve).

Yes. Cherry picking is surprisingly important, and MC2 should do
merges in general better than MC1 does.

> -- MC is quite workflow agnostic, but maintaining Squeak does
> require some workflow (people write fixes, other people merge
> them), and maintaining it as a set of packages requires even more
> of it (coordination of entry of package changes into the official
> release). Right now we use a combination of SqueakSource, Mantis,
> and email, glued together by (what seems to me like) lots of overhead.

Breaking the dependencies is hard work. Monticello is making it even
harder, because it's really meant to work on systems that are already
decomposed. It expects to work on packages with stable boundaries and
acyclical dependencies, and ties versioning very tightly to that
model. It's too early to say yet, but since MC2 does versioning
without requiring packages, I'm hopeful that it can help with the
modularization workflow more effectively than MC1.

Colin

12345