Whither Squeak?

12345

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2
Colin I want to thank you for all the cool stuff you are giving us.
I still had no time to look at MC2 (I'm in painting and boxes for my
move + all the other mess)
but I would like to use it.

Stef

> [...]
>> is the only way to keep the boundaries up to date. So the
>> existance of MC exists makes this task somewhat feasible, but
>> there have been various problems with its use to manage the whole
>> image.
>>
>> - Performance (loading updates to the image using MC is much
>> slower than loading changesets).
>
> There are several aspects to this, but the primary one is that MC
> doesn't version code so much as packages. Because of the dependency
> issues in Squeak, packages are either really big, or a "small"
> change touches a lot of them. Either way, it means moving a lot
> more data and doing more work to update image than what is required
> for a change set. In practice, that makes it too slow everyday
> workflow.
>
> MC2 actually versions code, so it has a lot more flexibility. It
> would be possible, for example, to create an update stream of
> "versioned changesets" that wouldn't carry too much overhead
> compared to the classical update stream.
>
>> - System changes (like introducing Traits) require going through
>> various intermediate stages, but MC itself only model merging the
>> code in order to reach the final stage to be loaded.
>
> Yes. It's surprising how little this has affected at the higher
> levels of the system. (For example, MC can usually update itself
> without problems.) To manage all of Squeak, though, I don't think
> we'll be able to escape having some kind of update stream based on
> filing in arbitrary code.
>
> MC2 can help with this part as well. It can do atomic updates to
> the image, so the cases that require carefully orchestrated
> migrations should be very rare. I'm imagining only issuing updates
> every year or two, and having stuff stay pretty compatible in
> between updates.
>
>> - Workflow:
>> -- Support for cherry picking is very basic in current MC (which
>> MC2 should improve).
>
> Yes. Cherry picking is surprisingly important, and MC2 should do
> merges in general better than MC1 does.
>
>> -- MC is quite workflow agnostic, but maintaining Squeak does
>> require some workflow (people write fixes, other people merge
>> them), and maintaining it as a set of packages requires even more
>> of it (coordination of entry of package changes into the official
>> release). Right now we use a combination of SqueakSource, Mantis,
>> and email, glued together by (what seems to me like) lots of
>> overhead.
>
> Breaking the dependencies is hard work. Monticello is making it
> even harder, because it's really meant to work on systems that are
> already decomposed. It expects to work on packages with stable
> boundaries and acyclical dependencies, and ties versioning very
> tightly to that model. It's too early to say yet, but since MC2
> does versioning without requiring packages, I'm hopeful that it can
> help with the modularization workflow more effectively than MC1.

Re: Whither Squeak?

Ralph Johnson
On 5/20/06, Daniel Vainsencher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Improving design:
> ------------------------------
> Cyclic dependencies (considering just
> compilation-time-obvious dependencies, like a method in one class
> refering to a parent) are rampant in Squeak (see references to Morph),
> making it difficult to decompose.

Classes are not modules.  A module will include methods added to other
classes.  So, it is possible for class A to refer to B and class B to
refer to A, but A and B are in different modules with no cycles.
Suppose class A is in module X, and it depends on module Y, which
contains class B.  Then the method in B that refers to A is actually
part of module X, even though most of B is in Y.

I don't know the example you are talking about, and it might very well
be an example of something that needs to be fixed.  But the fact that
Object has an "inspect" method doesn't mean that the entire GUI is in
the same module as Object.

This *does* make a system difficult to decompose because you can't
assume that you can just assign classes to modules and be done.  You
can make that assumption in languages that don't allow a module to add
a method to an existing class.  On the other hand, the increased
flexibility of adding methods late means that you can move methods to
other modules to decrease coupling between modules.

-Ralph

RE: Whither Squeak?

SmallSqueak

> I would say: give me 4 cool developers for 2 years
> and I will jump in big cool plans,

        Gimme 4 cool developers for 2 years and they can
        wake me up to present the cool results and I will
        drink the cool champagne ;-)

> now if you have 2 guys working the night....
> I let you conclude.

        I knew 1 guy working the night and concluded
        with something really cool ;-)

        Cheers,

        SmallSqueak

Re: Whither Squeak?

Trygve
Ralph,
There may be a fundamental difference between Word and Smalltalk rearding
modularization. Word is essentially a piece of source code; modularization
here means an orderly refactoring of source packages. The surface
separating Word from its environment is a set of well-defined required and
provided interfaces. The same applies to any module within Word, the notion
of a package is recursive.

Smalltalk is essentially a universe of interlinked and interacting objects.
Class based modularization may be doomed to failure if applied to legacy
parts. A Smalltalk module seems to be more than classes and incremental
methods, but rather a cluster of objects with clearly defined links to
clearly defined objects in its environment. (Classes and methods are
objects in ST, so a program package is a special case of an object module.)

I have tried putting a facade object in front of a Morph, the idea being to
make a component enclosing a morph substructure. It should be easy; a morph
is only a submorph of its owner. Right? Wrong! The variety of objects that
send messages to a simple submorph turned out to be unbelievable. And many
of them were transient, only existing during the execution of certain
operations. May be I gave up too easily. Or may be the number of criss
crossing links in the Smalltalk image makes it impracticable to separate
out an ensemble of objects without building a new morphic implementation
from scratch.

But if we were to define a new kind of object module, we should make sure
it is very clean and implemented in easily reviewable code.

Cheers
--Trygve

--

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

Re: Whither Squeak?

Daniel Vainsencher-2

> On 5/20/06, Daniel Vainsencher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[cyclic dependencies make decomposition harder]

Ralph Johnson wrote:

> Classes are not modules.  A module will include methods added to other
> classes.  So, it is possible for class A to refer to B and class B to
> refer to A, but A and B are in different modules with no cycles.
> Suppose class A is in module X, and it depends on module Y, which
> contains class B.  Then the method in B that refers to A is actually
> part of module X, even though most of B is in Y.
>
> I don't know the example you are talking about, and it might very well
> be an example of something that needs to be fixed.  But the fact that
> Object has an "inspect" method doesn't mean that the entire GUI is in
> the same module as Object.
>
> This *does* make a system difficult to decompose because you can't
> assume that you can just assign classes to modules and be done.
That is definitely part of the problem I am talking about. And this
situation is very common - in the case of Squeak circa 3.7, this sort of
analysis showed that the largest strongly connected component in Squeak
included roughly half the classes in the system.

So indeed, for the easiest, "high" modules (application modules that
happen to have some reference from a framework), moving a few methods
might be enough to make them a properly bounded module, after these
methods are found. So a significant part of the modularization work is
making this kind of distinction - this method that appears in this
class, should be an extension from that module. And hopefully MC2 will
make the technical work to move the method from one to the other easier
than it is now.

But unidentified extension methods are not the whole story, of course.

In the common case, the functionality is actually being used by other
modules in some way, and real refactoring is needed in order to separate
them. For (a simple) example, Celeste (a mail client) used to have a
hard coded reference from World menu. As of ~3.4 we have a dynamic world
menu (a registry), removing that particular reference, and allowing the
extraction of several other applications from the big ball of mud.

In fact, Celeste had about 3-4 "extension method" problems, the world
menu reference I mentioned above, whose solution was general and of
benefit to other modules, and it also had a specific customized usage in
EToys, which required a little more tailored refactoring, which was
later generalized into an application registry.

I think Celeste is a typical case of what it takes to make a relatively
simple, standalone application unloadable. Several (most?) such
applications have already been removed (old IRC client), and some more
complex modules have also been so treated - IIRC the PlusTools are a
loadable version of the classical browsers, so maybe we can unload the
old browsers.

All of the problems I mentioned show up as cyclic dependencies. For the
simple case of a top-level application module, it by definition should
have no incoming references, which is even easier to find. AFAIK, we
currently have no deployed tools that highlight any of these cases
automatically, or make it any easier to solve the simple "extension
method" cases.

The up side is that part of the reason that cyclic dependencies matter
is that they give so much trouble in the use of MC1. If MC2 or Naiad can
handle them better, then solving the cyclic dependencies can be done
more incrementally, which is probably a good thing.

Daniel

Re: Whither Squeak?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Trygve Reenskaug puso en su mail :

> I have tried putting a facade object in front of a Morph, the idea being to
> make a component enclosing a morph substructure. It should be easy; a morph
> is only a submorph of its owner. Right? Wrong! The variety of objects that
> send messages to a simple submorph turned out to be unbelievable. And many
> of them were transient, only existing during the execution of certain
> operations. May be I gave up too easily. Or may be the number of criss
> crossing links in the Smalltalk image makes it impracticable to separate
> out an ensemble of objects without building a new morphic implementation
> from scratch.

I love what you do with BabySRE and found very interersting Towards A New
Discipline of Programming.

If you have any notes not included in the pdf what could share , let me
know.
I was on the Morphic team before and hope rejoin once I meet with Juan.

Very thanks

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Whither Squeak?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 20.05.2006 um 20:48 schrieb Colin Putney:

>> I believe that the management of the code of Squeak in tool
>> supported packages is a critical component of any solution - this
>> is the only way to keep the boundaries up to date. So the
>> existance of MC exists makes this task somewhat feasible, but
>> there have been various problems with its use to manage the whole
>> image.
>>
>> - Performance (loading updates to the image using MC is much
>> slower than loading changesets).
>
> There are several aspects to this, but the primary one is that MC
> doesn't version code so much as packages. Because of the dependency
> issues in Squeak, packages are either really big, or a "small"
> change touches a lot of them. Either way, it means moving a lot
> more data and doing more work to update image than what is required
> for a change set. In practice, that makes it too slow everyday
> workflow.
>
> MC2 actually versions code, so it has a lot more flexibility. It
> would be possible, for example, to create an update stream of
> "versioned changesets" that wouldn't carry too much overhead
> compared to the classical update stream.

Well ... the most severe performance-related MC problems in an
upstream-like scenario are actually solved. Provided you have an
unmodified package in the image, you can update to a later version of
that package simply by applying the changes in a differential MC
package (MCD), which is pretty much equivalent in performance to
package, which consist mainly of building a changeset to modify the
in-image snapshot to the version-to-be-loaded snapshot. We simply
move that work to the server-side, I patched SqueakSource to provide
an MCD going from any older version to the wanted version on request.

I'm still unsure why this has gone largely unnoticed, maybe because
the technique to actually request an MCD instead of an MCZ from the
server is only used by MCConfigurations, not plain MC.

>> - System changes (like introducing Traits) require going through
>> various intermediate stages, but MC itself only model merging the
>> code in order to reach the final stage to be loaded.
>
> Yes. It's surprising how little this has affected at the higher
> levels of the system. (For example, MC can usually update itself
> without problems.) To manage all of Squeak, though, I don't think
> we'll be able to escape having some kind of update stream based on
> filing in arbitrary code.

That's what we did with Tweak, it uses a classic update stream that
usually just loads new MC versions (via config maps, so we have a
changeset-like performance), but it can include arbitrary code for
trickier changes, too.

> MC2 can help with this part as well. It can do atomic updates to
> the image, so the cases that require carefully orchestrated
> migrations should be very rare. I'm imagining only issuing updates
> every year or two, and having stuff stay pretty compatible in
> between updates.

Sounds very nice :)

However, I'm not sure we only have a tools problem. The stuff I
mentioned above is readily available for some time now, so if people
wanted, they could have used it. With MC2 we'll get even better and
faster tools (right? ;-), but it will still be a problem of people
stepping up to actually use them for advancing Squeak. I'm no
exception here, apart from the packages I maintain, I just post the
occasional fix to Mantis as a changeset and let whoever else take
over, which until now usually was Marcus alone. So apart from better
tool support we still need to find away to let people contribute more
easily.

- Bert -

Re: Whither Squeak?

Cees De Groot
On 5/21/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still unsure why this has gone largely unnoticed, maybe because
> the technique to actually request an MCD instead of an MCZ from the
> server is only used by MCConfigurations, not plain MC.

Also maybe because MCD has managed to stay largely below the radar,
which probably means that people are too unsure about the implications
of using .mcd's to start using them. At least, that's mainly the
reason I stayed with .mcz files so far...

Re: Whither Squeak?

Pavel Krivanek

> I wonder why Pavel don't say he could build a basic console with no MVC and
> no Morphic.

I was on an official trip
> I prefer use his old 3.7 kernel and not his new 3.9 , but is my taste.
> Others could start from his newer.

There's no conceptual difference between kernel image for Squeak 3.7 and
Squeak 3.9, but Squeak 3.9 includes m17n and some other code that makes
this image much bigger. Kernel image form Squeak 3.7 is perfect starting
point for some kind of applications like PocketPC games. Shrinking
operations in kernel image for Squeak 3.9 are less destructive and this
image is definitely better in many ways.

> Or take Boris procedure for a MVC image if they like MVC.
>
> The hard thing (to me) is how you grow again.
>
> How you go from Spoon (the favorite choice of many) or from Boris MVC or
> from Pavel kernel to what we wish ?
>
> How many people realize what current MC1 fails load (in small images what
> could understand Monticello and friends) because class initialization is not
> fileOut in right order ? (as in Network)

 From my point of view, the best next progress can be:
1a - take the kernel image for Squeak 3.9 and merge all relevant fixes
since 6719
1b - create simple mirrors browser for more comfortable work
1c - create some fixes like WideString problems with condesing of
changes etc.
2a - clean the kernel
2b - merge SUnit and relevant test
2c - create new important tests
3 - test the kernel image
4 - load everything back to create basic image. Don't create packages,
just simply load new classes and methods and initialize it in the right
order.

(Task with the same number can be done in parallel)

Then we will have nice UI independent kernel image and perfect
referential material for next packaging effort.

Then we can do the same process with next packages like network support,
compression etc. Separate, load everything back.  It will be the set of
small steps but with every one we will get the next clean package with
the defined relation to the kernel and prerequisites.

Just an idea. I think that it's doable. If we reached the state when we
have consistent UI-less kernel image, why don't continue? The packaging
"from top" and standard Squeak development and fixing can still continue
because with every step we will have full image. So, what about to
establisth a team for that?

If we will have kernel image, the set of "primitive" packages like
network, compression, UI independent MC and one big package "the rest of
Squeak", we can mark it as Squeak 3.10 and then begin with version 4.0 -
adopt many Spoon ideas, change VM and image format etc.

-- Pavel

Re: Whither Squeak?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> 1b - create simple mirrors browser for more comfortable work
> 1c - create some fixes like WideString problems with condesing of
> changes etc.
> 2a - clean the kernel
> 2b - merge SUnit and relevant test
> 2c - create new important tests
> 3 - test the kernel image
> 4 - load everything back to create basic image. Don't create packages,
> just simply load new classes and methods and initialize it in the right
> order.
>
> (Task with the same number can be done in parallel)
>
> Then we will have nice UI independent kernel image and perfect
> referential material for next packaging effort.
>
> Then we can do the same process with next packages like network support,
> compression etc. Separate, load everything back.  It will be the set of
> small steps but with every one we will get the next clean package with
> the defined relation to the kernel and prerequisites.
>
> Just an idea. I think that it's doable. If we reached the state when we
> have consistent UI-less kernel image, why don't continue? The packaging
> "from top" and standard Squeak development and fixing can still continue
> because with every step we will have full image. So, what about to
> establisth a team for that?
>
> If we will have kernel image, the set of "primitive" packages like
> network, compression, UI independent MC and one big package "the rest of
> Squeak", we can mark it as Squeak 3.10 and then begin with version 4.0 -
> adopt many Spoon ideas, change VM and image format etc.
>
> -- Pavel
I like and thanks your directions.

Could see if take your 3.9 kernel and add .mcz load (if kernel not have)

As I have some elemental for driving images with remote regular Browsers
like Firefox, also could see of load the last Network.x.mcz.

And let  2b and 2c Sunit and test for people what wish do it.

Like more trial and error on 3 and beyond

Thanks !!!

Edgar

Horóscopos, Salud y belleza, Chistes, Consejos de amor:
el contenido más divertido para tu celular está en Yahoo! Móvil.
Obtenelo en http://movil.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2

On 21 mai 06, at 13:45, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> I'm still unsure why this has gone largely unnoticed, maybe because
> the technique to actually request an MCD instead of an MCZ from the
> server is only used by MCConfigurations, not plain MC.

Because we were fighting to get something done and we wanted to have
full versions all the time.
May be this was an error. And also because we could not find the way
the MCD browser was working.

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2

> However, I'm not sure we only have a tools problem. The stuff I
> mentioned above is readily available for some time now, so if
> people wanted, they could have used it. With MC2 we'll get even
> better and faster tools (right? ;-), but it will still be a problem
> of people stepping up to actually use them for advancing Squeak.
> I'm no exception here, apart from the packages I maintain, I just
> post the occasional fix to Mantis as a changeset and let whoever
> else take over, which until now usually was Marcus alone.
And Stef. And now stef alone. :)

> So apart from better tool support we still need to find away to let
> people contribute more easily.

this was the point of a precedent email. Now may be it also mean that
with a faster MC we can integrate faster, and also that you could
commit a MCZ and not a CS and may get an automated build.

I asked ****several**** times about spending some money so that one
person can help us speeding up/improving the harvesting
process in the foundation board. But I was like shouting in the
desert. I still think that with some better tools we could go much
faster. But so far I got no time to think about the tools, else
nothing in 3.9a would have been done. So this is a bootstrap
problem

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2
I like the idea.
I would like 3.10 to be not compatible!

Stef

On 21 mai 06, at 15:46, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

>> I wonder why Pavel don't say he could build a basic console with
>> no MVC and
>> no Morphic.
>>
> I was on an official trip
>> I prefer use his old 3.7 kernel and not his new 3.9 , but is my
>> taste.
>> Others could start from his newer.
>>

> There's no conceptual difference between kernel image for Squeak
> 3.7 and Squeak 3.9, but Squeak 3.9 includes m17n and some other
> code that makes this image much bigger. Kernel image form Squeak
> 3.7 is perfect starting point for some kind of applications like
> PocketPC games. Shrinking operations in kernel image for Squeak 3.9
> are less destructive and this image is definitely better in many ways.
>
>> Or take Boris procedure for a MVC image if they like MVC.
>>
>> The hard thing (to me) is how you grow again.
>>
>> How you go from Spoon (the favorite choice of many) or from Boris
>> MVC or
>> from Pavel kernel to what we wish ?
>>
>> How many people realize what current MC1 fails load (in small
>> images what
>> could understand Monticello and friends) because class
>> initialization is not
>> fileOut in right order ? (as in Network)
>>
> From my point of view, the best next progress can be:
> 1a - take the kernel image for Squeak 3.9 and merge all relevant
> fixes since 6719
> 1b - create simple mirrors browser for more comfortable work
> 1c - create some fixes like WideString problems with condesing of
> changes etc.
> 2a - clean the kernel
> 2b - merge SUnit and relevant test
> 2c - create new important tests
> 3 - test the kernel image
> 4 - load everything back to create basic image. Don't create
> packages, just simply load new classes and methods and initialize
> it in the right order.
>
> (Task with the same number can be done in parallel)
>
> Then we will have nice UI independent kernel image and perfect
> referential material for next packaging effort.
>
> Then we can do the same process with next packages like network
> support, compression etc. Separate, load everything back.  It will
> be the set of small steps but with every one we will get the next
> clean package with the defined relation to the kernel and
> prerequisites.
>
> Just an idea. I think that it's doable. If we reached the state
> when we have consistent UI-less kernel image, why don't continue?
> The packaging "from top" and standard Squeak development and fixing
> can still continue because with every step we will have full image.
> So, what about to establisth a team for that?
>
> If we will have kernel image, the set of "primitive" packages like
> network, compression, UI independent MC and one big package "the
> rest of Squeak", we can mark it as Squeak 3.10 and then begin with
> version 4.0 - adopt many Spoon ideas, change VM and image format etc.
>
> -- Pavel

Re: Whither Squeak?

Blake-5
On Fri, 19 May 2006 22:52:26 -0700, Peter Crowther <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> From: Torsten Sadowski
> [...]
>> There is no package system from Apple.
>> Large chunks of software reside in app bundles and frameworks which is
>> very modular but on the other hand ineffective. If I want to publish
>> software based on something not in the base system I put
>> everything I need
>> in the app bundle. And someone else does the same...
>
> Yes.  Microsoft have gone down the same route with .Net (and, in fact,
> with their application recommendations since the betas of Windows 2000 -
> about 8 years now).  It's the only way they've found to prevent the "DLL
> Hell", or more generally dependency hell, that plagues modular systems.
> It also means that an app bundle is standalone, requiring nothing more
> than a base system and certainly not requiring access to a package
> repository.  I don't know about you, but the incidence of applications
> that won't run because of incompatibilities has fallen markedly on the
> systems I manage since that time.
>
> I'm interested.  Why is this 'ineffective'?

On a related note, I understand that a good deal of the delay in Vista
comes from precisely the problem of supporting various assemblies in
different versions. To the extent that they couldn't resolve it, had to
scrap muc of the .NET rewrites they were doing, and go back to the
"classic" style of development.

If true, that would certainly constitute "ineffective".

Re: Whither Squeak?

Juan Vuletich
Hello Ralph,

I am the guy who tried to split Morphic in smaller packages that could be
easily unloaded.
I failed. I did split Morphic in 3 big packages and a few small ones, as you
can see in Squeak 3.9. That took some work, but it can be done. The big
problem is that Etoys was not designed as a separate package from the rest
of the image. Writing Etoys impacted everywhere. Therefore we have tons
dependencies on it absolutely everywhere. The same happens with Projects,
Morphic and lots of other "optional" functionality.

It is easy to fix those dependencies to remove the packages. But this is
modifying (actually simplifying) lots of methods we won't remove.

I wanted something better: To redesign those dependencies in such a way that
just unloading the Etoys package would leave everything working, and to
allow re-loading it back. This is easy on small examples, but an inmense
amount of work with something like Etoys in Squeak 3.9. Added to this were
the difficulties in publishing my stuff. This kind of changes generates new
versions of almost all the packages in Squeak all the time, conflicting with
any other thing someone could be working on, and giving a very hard time to
MC. So despite all the help Stef gave me, I finally abandoned the idea.

I hope to be of some help. BTW, let me thank you. Some of your wrintings
were really important when I took my first OOP course at the university.

Regards,
Juan Vuletich

Ps:
For anyone who can be interested, I'm redesigning Morphic as an experiment.
The image I'm working is a 3.7 with no Etoys, no Projects and a lot of
Morphic removed. The Morph hierarchy was removed to OldMorph, and Morph is
my new experiment. The TestMorph class is what I use to play there. It is
available at http://www.sinectis.com.ar/u/jmvuletich/NewMorphic13.zip .
Warning: This is really early and primitive. If anyone wants more details,
I'll send them.

Re: Whither Squeak?

Juan Vuletich
Hi Daniel,

I used MudPie for splitting Morphic. As I said in another message, I failed
at making Etoys and MorphicExtras easy to unload and load back. This is
because for fixing the bad dependencies without needing two versions of many
core methods (i.e. methods not in the package we are removing). Doing this
carefully is way too much for me (and for anybody, I guess). Squeak is too
big!

My experience with MudPie was excellent. It is great for spotting those
dependencies. It works great, and when I needed some help, or new features,
Daniel helped me a lot, and implemented many of my suggestions. Thanks,
Daniel! And I can say: MudPie does work in 3.9.

The problem was not lack of tools like MudPie. I could think of a tool that
could automate the generation of some of the code needed for removing
dependencies. But I don't think that would be a good solution. The only way
to clean code is by understanding it. So, to me the problem is: too much
work, too little time.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Whither Squeak?

stéphane ducasse-2

On 23 mai 06, at 01:07, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hello Ralph,
>
> I am the guy who tried to split Morphic in smaller packages that
> could be easily unloaded.
> I failed. I did split Morphic in 3 big packages and a few small
> ones, as you can see in Squeak 3.9. That took some work, but it can
> be done. The big problem is that Etoys was not designed as a
> separate package from the rest of the image. Writing Etoys impacted
> everywhere. Therefore we have tons dependencies on it absolutely
> everywhere. The same happens with Projects, Morphic and lots of
> other "optional" functionality.

this is why it would be good to declare 3.10 not compatible and
massively clean.
At the same time if people get spoon up and running (which I hope)
then we could reach both branches in the middle,
and have some clean packages.

> I wanted something better: To redesign those dependencies in such a
> way that just unloading the Etoys package would leave everything
> working, and to allow re-loading it back. This is easy on small
> examples, but an inmense amount of work with something like Etoys
> in Squeak 3.9. Added to this were the difficulties in publishing my
> stuff. This kind of changes generates new versions of almost all
> the packages in Squeak all the time, conflicting with any other
> thing someone could be working on, and giving a very hard time to
> MC. So despite all the help Stef gave me, I finally abandoned the
> idea.
>
> I hope to be of some help. BTW, let me thank you. Some of your
> wrintings were really important when I took my first OOP course at
> the university.
>
> Regards,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Ps:
> For anyone who can be interested, I'm redesigning Morphic as an
> experiment. The image I'm working is a 3.7 with no Etoys, no
> Projects and a lot of Morphic removed. The Morph hierarchy was
> removed to OldMorph, and Morph is my new experiment. The TestMorph
> class is what I use to play there. It is available at http://
> www.sinectis.com.ar/u/jmvuletich/NewMorphic13.zip . Warning: This
> is really early and primitive. If anyone wants more details, I'll
> send them.

Keep doing it!

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralph Johnson"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: Whither Squeak?

Alan Kay
A good exercise (and very useful) would be just to build a new (and much
better) Etoys in your new Morphic. There is nothing sacred in the current
version of Etoys.

Cheers,

Alan

----------

At 04:36 AM 5/23/2006, Juan Vuletich wrote:

>Hi Daniel,
>
>I used MudPie for splitting Morphic. As I said in another message, I
>failed at making Etoys and MorphicExtras easy to unload and load back.
>This is because for fixing the bad dependencies without needing two
>versions of many core methods (i.e. methods not in the package we are
>removing). Doing this carefully is way too much for me (and for anybody, I
>guess). Squeak is too big!
>
>My experience with MudPie was excellent. It is great for spotting those
>dependencies. It works great, and when I needed some help, or new
>features, Daniel helped me a lot, and implemented many of my suggestions.
>Thanks, Daniel! And I can say: MudPie does work in 3.9.
>
>The problem was not lack of tools like MudPie. I could think of a tool
>that could automate the generation of some of the code needed for removing
>dependencies. But I don't think that would be a good solution. The only
>way to clean code is by understanding it. So, to me the problem is: too
>much work, too little time.
>
>Cheers,
>Juan Vuletich
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Vainsencher"
><[hidden email]>

Etoys: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (was Re: Whither Squeak?)

Markus Gälli-3

On May 23, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Alan Kay wrote:

> A good exercise (and very useful) would be just to build a new (and
> much better) Etoys in your new Morphic. There is nothing sacred in
> the current version of Etoys.

Hi,

having some fun Etoys experience myself (http://www.emergent.de/
etoys.html)
I compiled a list (should I say Set ;-))
  "Etoys: The good, the bad and the ugly"  - (to be criticized,
prioritized and extended of course)

Good:
- Forces one to unify GUI + Model, which often does makes sense
(think naked objects)
- Allows visual programming using tiles
- Comes with a rich set of toys
- Is prototype based (good for exploring)
- types variables by examples
- holders/playfields are very powerful (iteration, inclusion...)
- Generates Smalltalk Code in the background
- Nice concept of halos
- Connectors...
- Quite transparent parallelism
- Is translated to many languages
- Net Morphs are coool
- Nebraska (if it works) is nice too
- Recorded sounds can be used as tiles
- scripts allow parameters (though I seldom needed this)
- Hardware Support (forgot the name, but this japanese people
converting external measurements into sounds, which is in turn
translated into sound...)
- Is Used!
- Comes with some simple sensors (overlaps, color sees...)
- Constraints of Etoys allow some creativity
- Kedama

Bad:
- Not easy for end user to extend with smalltalk code (e.g. some
frustrated lisp programmer could not add midi to Etoys)
- Limited set of events (will be better with Etoys2 ak Tweak)
- Traces of turtles are pixels not objects (want to create some
vector graphic with turtles...)
- No notion of matrices ak 2D Fields
- projects only storable as binaries (would be cool if commands would
be logged en passant while creating a project...)
- Squeak Plugin not widespread
- some properties are not available (why can't I treat every player
as a holder?)
- Cannot extend with scripts which deliver booleans, always have to
make a variable for that (maybe ok though)
- Tiles create code, but code does not create tiles
- Not yet available for 3d (croquet programming with Etoys would rock)
- No bracketing of arithmetic expressions
- preceding rules of Smalltalk and not of high school mathematics
- Some tiles don't accept input (eg random...)
- No debugger for etoys (difficult, but maybe fruitful)
- "Genetive Programming" (first script any object, then say, that
e.g. this script actually should affect the player at cursor...)
- Connectors too much hidden
- Strange organization of method categories (eg. misc...)
- siblings can't be broken, copies can't be "siblinged"
- No tasks, riddles with possible solutions online
- no physics engine
- Tweak, ak Etoys2 seems still to be slow
- Projects in Projects are not publishable
- Cells in Matrices should know about their neighbors
- No use of midi
- maybe Kedama could be integrated better

Ugly:

- mangling of EToys code everywhere in Squeak (though I strongly
favor further inclusion of "the best etoys currently available" in
the kitchen sink image

Ok, got that of the list now...

Cheers,

Markus

> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> ----------
>
> At 04:36 AM 5/23/2006, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I used MudPie for splitting Morphic. As I said in another message,
>> I failed at making Etoys and MorphicExtras easy to unload and load
>> back. This is because for fixing the bad dependencies without
>> needing two versions of many core methods (i.e. methods not in the
>> package we are removing). Doing this carefully is way too much for
>> me (and for anybody, I guess). Squeak is too big!
>>
>> My experience with MudPie was excellent. It is great for spotting
>> those dependencies. It works great, and when I needed some help,
>> or new features, Daniel helped me a lot, and implemented many of
>> my suggestions. Thanks, Daniel! And I can say: MudPie does work in
>> 3.9.
>>
>> The problem was not lack of tools like MudPie. I could think of a
>> tool that could automate the generation of some of the code needed
>> for removing dependencies. But I don't think that would be a good
>> solution. The only way to clean code is by understanding it. So,
>> to me the problem is: too much work, too little time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Vainsencher"
>> <[hidden email]>

Re: Etoys: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (was Re: Whither Squeak?)

Alan Kay
Hi Markus --

Good list!

But a better way to look at Etoys is that it was supposed to be a subset of
a more comprehensive system for all programmers (as comprehensive as
Smalltalk but a more advanced set of ideas). So, if we were to make a
better system and do a special children's interface for part of it, that
would be a better way to deal with "bad and ugly".

Cheers,

Alan

12345