evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

123

evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
This version of the Cryptography package has beginnings of ReedSolomon
encoding.

The rendezvous is separated into an OperationProtocol and a
StartupProtocol and the message pipeline of the session layer of
SqueakElib has been completely rewritten and LayeredProtocols have been
folded in. Please look at ElibVatTPDataTestCase for an example.

Cryptography:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dux2goimej79e/Cryptography-rww.40.mcz?dl=0
SqueakElib:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yvkl3df89uyjnh/SqueakElib-rww.200.mcz?dl=0

In the spirit of #GivingTuesday,
Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Here is a newer version (201) with a protocol change to remove all
tcpIds from the rendezvous.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mgfglwu3e4bf4j/SqueakElib-rww.201.mcz?dl=0

- Robert

On 12/01/2015 07:37 AM, Robert Withers wrote:

> This version of the Cryptography package has beginnings of ReedSolomon
> encoding.
>
> The rendezvous is separated into an OperationProtocol and a
> StartupProtocol and the message pipeline of the session layer of
> SqueakElib has been completely rewritten and LayeredProtocols have
> been folded in. Please look at ElibVatTPDataTestCase for an example.
>
> Cryptography:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dux2goimej79e/Cryptography-rww.40.mcz?dl=0
> SqueakElib:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yvkl3df89uyjnh/SqueakElib-rww.200.mcz?dl=0
>
> In the spirit of #GivingTuesday,
> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Another version fixing empty payloads...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjhbopwabbrszjn/SqueakElib-rww.202.mcz?dl=0

thank you,
- Robert

On 12/01/2015 11:44 AM, Robert Withers wrote:

> Here is a newer version (201) with a protocol change to remove all
> tcpIds from the rendezvous.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mgfglwu3e4bf4j/SqueakElib-rww.201.mcz?dl=0
>
> - Robert
>
> On 12/01/2015 07:37 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
>> This version of the Cryptography package has beginnings of
>> ReedSolomon encoding.
>>
>> The rendezvous is separated into an OperationProtocol and a
>> StartupProtocol and the message pipeline of the session layer of
>> SqueakElib has been completely rewritten and LayeredProtocols have
>> been folded in. Please look at ElibVatTPDataTestCase for an example.
>>
>> Cryptography:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dux2goimej79e/Cryptography-rww.40.mcz?dl=0
>> SqueakElib:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yvkl3df89uyjnh/SqueakElib-rww.200.mcz?dl=0
>>
>> In the spirit of #GivingTuesday,
>> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Here is an update with some refactorings and extensions. I added
'domain' to the IWant/IAm messages to support subdomains.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvpxfuixzxrj3op/SqueakElib-rww.204.mcz?dl=0

thanks for trying it,
Robert

On 12/01/2015 02:23 PM, Robert Withers wrote:

> Another version fixing empty payloads...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjhbopwabbrszjn/SqueakElib-rww.202.mcz?dl=0
>
> thank you,
> - Robert
>
> On 12/01/2015 11:44 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
>> Here is a newer version (201) with a protocol change to remove all
>> tcpIds from the rendezvous.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mgfglwu3e4bf4j/SqueakElib-rww.201.mcz?dl=0
>>
>> - Robert
>>
>> On 12/01/2015 07:37 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
>>> This version of the Cryptography package has beginnings of
>>> ReedSolomon encoding.
>>>
>>> The rendezvous is separated into an OperationProtocol and a
>>> StartupProtocol and the message pipeline of the session layer of
>>> SqueakElib has been completely rewritten and LayeredProtocols have
>>> been folded in. Please look at ElibVatTPDataTestCase for an example.
>>>
>>> Cryptography:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dux2goimej79e/Cryptography-rww.40.mcz?dl=0
>>> SqueakElib:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yvkl3df89uyjnh/SqueakElib-rww.200.mcz?dl=0
>>>
>>> In the spirit of #GivingTuesday,
>>> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
ReedSolomon updates:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5unbbdetv4c5xs/Cryptography-rww.41.mcz?dl=0

more refactoring of the pipeline:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g45himklwa66zqb/SqueakElib-rww.205.mcz?dl=0

- Robert

On 12/03/2015 06:00 AM, Robert Withers wrote:

> Here is an update with some refactorings and extensions. I added
> 'domain' to the IWant/IAm messages to support subdomains.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvpxfuixzxrj3op/SqueakElib-rww.204.mcz?dl=0
>
> thanks for trying it,
> Robert
>
> On 12/01/2015 02:23 PM, Robert Withers wrote:
>> Another version fixing empty payloads...
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjhbopwabbrszjn/SqueakElib-rww.202.mcz?dl=0
>>
>> thank you,
>> - Robert
>>
>> On 12/01/2015 11:44 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
>>> Here is a newer version (201) with a protocol change to remove all
>>> tcpIds from the rendezvous.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mgfglwu3e4bf4j/SqueakElib-rww.201.mcz?dl=0
>>>
>>> - Robert

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
After my password reset on squeaksource, I committed to both
Cryptography and SqueakElib, project links below.

In the case of Cryptography, I had a version ported to Pharo ... I will
organize Pharo ports of both after Reed Solomon is stable, and announce
them to the Pharo list. This way both environments can be supported
through this one repository.

Robert

On 12/04/2015 04:35 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 03-12-15 23:06, Robert Withers wrote:
>> Are any of these used by both squeak and Pharo? That would be the right
>> move I think. I will ask about getting my password reset for
>> squeaksource, since that is where the old code resides.
>
> All of them. Mostly timing of project start/high activity and who are
> maintaining it decided on platforms. There was a time when
> squeaksource was not so stable and then many projects migrated, and I
> currently hear least about stability issues from ss3, but the load on
> smalltalkhub is much higher, I assume, as that is used for the pharo ci.
>
> In the not so far future Pharo is likely to move to a git based
> infrastructure, using libgit2. Early adopters are already using it.
> I haven't heard the squeak ideas about that.
>
> Stephan

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Best Regards

http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/squeakelib.html

On 12/04/2015 05:44 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
[...]

I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

Regards,
Robert

On 12/04/2015 06:11 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
I am unable to import these files into SqueakSource, so it may be best done from inside Pharo with Monticello. Here are working Crypto and SqueakElib in Pharo, prior to SecureSession refactoring and Reed Solomon. I include the correct version of LayeredProtocol.

Regards,
Robert

On 12/04/2015 05:47 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
[...]

Bert Freudenberg

On 04.12.2015, at 12:15, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other.

What is this used for?

Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

That would be nice, yes.

[...]

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Robert Withers wrote:

> I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

Fuel should work in Squeak. Probably not in 5.0 due to the changes
introduced by Spur, but you should ask the devs about those.

Levente

On 12/04/2015 10:11 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

On 04.12.2015, at 12:15, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other.

What is this used for?

SqueakElib (name change forthcoming!... :) ) uses binary serialization to communicate over the wire between vats (an execution container). As this framework is to provide the substrate for distributed secure objects, there is a critical need to do substitutions, such that PassByProxy objects are shareable and resolutions can home back to the right pending context (a distributed continuation). This requirement for substitutions require a robust serialization stream framework, of which ReferenceStream in Squeak and Fuel in Pharo meet this need.

Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

That would be nice, yes.

Yes, that would indeed. I hope for it to magically appear!

Robert

[...]

Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the
number of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just
port SecureSession and bits.

Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
presenting ...

"Maelstrom"

A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure
intra- & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".

Robert

PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.

On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and hope to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains one dialect, but something more general like Cryptography, or some cool project name, like Seaside, Fuel, ...
>
>> On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder, Materializer and a Materialization.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> On 12/04/2015 09:35 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>> which squeak version?
>>> of what?

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think that either Max or Martin did the Spur needed changes for Fuel.
So likely it should be easy to make it work in latest Squeak.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I had to reconceptualize how substitutions worked in Pharo, while learning Fuel, as it has been awhile since I played with that serialization. I recently came back to smalltalk after years. My real goal is mobile code so it can run where it has most affinity, even though that's not yet known. Enter sanguinity.

This is great news and I am excited by the potential to see Squeak and Pharo talking to each other.

cheers,
Robert

[...]

I've created a new SqueakSource project for this:
http://www.squeaksource.com/maelstrom.html. All future improvements will
go to this repository.

Here's where wiki documentation can go:
https://github.com/SqueakCryptographySquad/maelstrom/wiki

Thank you for prompting this name change.

Robert

On 12/04/2015 10:57 AM, Robert Withers wrote:

> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the
> number of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization,
> just port SecureSession and bits.
>
> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
> presenting ...
>
> "Maelstrom"
>
> A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure
> intra- & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".
>
> Robert
>
> PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.
>
> On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and
>> hope to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains
>> one dialect, but something more general like Cryptography, or some
>> cool project name, like Seaside, Fuel, ...
>>
>>> On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for
>>> wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo
>>> could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel
>>> changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the
>>> SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder,
>>> Materializer and a Materialization.
>>>
>>> Robert

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Ben Coman
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Robert Withers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the number
> of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just port
> SecureSession and bits.
>
> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
> presenting ...
>
> "Maelstrom"

Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...

"maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
"maelstroom"  --> 6,200
"maelstrum"    --> 2,280
"maelstruum"  --> 7

Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
techniques to generate brand names or domain names.

cheers -ben

On 12/05/2015 09:24 PM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Robert Withers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the number
>> of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just port
>> SecureSession and bits.
>>
>> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
>> presenting ...
>>
>> "Maelstrom"
> Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
> since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
> noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
> naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
> Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
> name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
> One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
> some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
> to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...
>
> "maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
> "maelstroom"  --> 6,200
> "maelstrum"    --> 2,280
> "maelstruum"  --> 7
>
> Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
> techniques to generate brand names or domain names.
>
> cheers -ben

I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it
may take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?

cheers,
Robert

>> A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure intra-
>> & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.
>>

>> On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>> Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and hope
>>> to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains one dialect,
>>> but something more general like Cryptography, or some cool project name,
>>> like Seaside, Fuel, ...

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Ben Coman
On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Robert Withers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/05/2015 09:24 PM, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Robert Withers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the
>>> number
>>> of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just port
>>> SecureSession and bits.
>>>
>>> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
>>> presenting ...
>>>
>>> "Maelstrom"
>>
>> Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
>> since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
>> noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
>> naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
>> Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
>> name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
>> One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
>> some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
>> to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...
>>
>> "maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
>> "maelstroom"  --> 6,200
>> "maelstrum"    --> 2,280
>> "maelstruum"  --> 7
>>
>> Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
>> techniques to generate brand names or domain names.
>>
>> cheers -ben
>

> I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it may
> take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?
>
> cheers,
> Robert

*Suggesting* yes, but the choice is yours ;)  You need to own it.

I think maelstruum is certainly memorable with the double "u", but
maybe jarring next the the "m".  I'm inclined to maelstroom, since I
associate it with "zoom".  I wouldn't necessarily go for the absolute
lowest results.  I have an entirely unsubstantiated belief that
anything less than 10,000 gives a reasonable chance to compete once a
user's browsing history is taken into account.  Finally you need to
check existing results don't return something abhorrent (I didn't do
this).

I'd encourage to play around testing on google search.  Its quick and
easy to generate and test alternatives. I've added a few more below.
"maelstra" --> 3,560
"maelstram" --> 504
"maelstrim" --> 1200
"maelstroon" --> 58
"maelstroomi" --> 4

btw, I wouldn't swap the order of the "ae" since that would be
susceptible to real typing errors.

cheers -ben

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Why is it that naming turns out to be the most challenging and also
rewarding of activities at times? Lot's of ROI in a good name. It's
strange, I'll have to think more about this naming activity and arrive
at a good metaname.

I think another good possibility you brought to my mind is
"mushroom"...it's growing on me? :)

On 12/06/2015 01:42 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Robert Withers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 12/05/2015 09:24 PM, Ben Coman wrote:

>>> Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
>>> since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
>>> noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
>>> naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
>>> Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
>>> name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
>>> One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
>>> some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
>>> to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...
>>>
>>> "maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
>>> "maelstroom"  --> 6,200
>>> "maelstrum"    --> 2,280
>>> "maelstruum"  --> 7
>>>
>>> Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
>>> techniques to generate brand names or domain names.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>
>> I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it may
>> take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Robert
>>

> *Suggesting* yes, but the choice is yours ;)  You need to own it.
>
> I think maelstruum is certainly memorable with the double "u", but
> maybe jarring next the the "m".  I'm inclined to maelstroom, since I
> associate it with "zoom".  I wouldn't necessarily go for the absolute
> lowest results.  I have an entirely unsubstantiated belief that
> anything less than 10,000 gives a reasonable chance to compete once a
> user's browsing history is taken into account.  Finally you need to
> check existing results don't return something abhorrent (I didn't do
> this).
>
> I'd encourage to play around testing on google search.  Its quick and
> easy to generate and test alternatives. I've added a few more below.
> "maelstra" --> 3,560
> "maelstram" --> 504
> "maelstrim" --> 1200
> "maelstroon" --> 58
> "maelstroomi" --> 4
>
> btw, I wouldn't swap the order of the "ae" since that would be
> susceptible to real typing errors.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Chris Muller-3
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

Installer new merge: #fuel

123