inescapable modal dialog in trunk

Chris Muller-3
1.  Make a method in a browser dirty.
2.  Click on another method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"
3.  Click "No".
4.  Now try click anywhere else or do anything else in other windows
or the desktop.  Every click anywhere causes the dialog to reappear
until you say "Yes" or cancel the method changes.

Re: inescapable modal dialog in trunk

K K Subbu
On 07/11/18 9:38 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> 1.  Make a method in a browser dirty.
> 2.  Click on another method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
> saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"
> 3.  Click "No".
> 4.  Now try click anywhere else or do anything else in other windows
> or the desktop.  Every click anywhere causes the dialog to reappear
> until you say "Yes" or cancel the method changes.
Chris,

I am unable to reproduce this problem. In Step 4, I am able to open the
global menu or a workspace and continue working on other tasks without
having the modal dialog pop up.

I am on Squeak-5.2-18255 with Linux-64bit VM.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: inescapable modal dialog in trunk

timrowledge

> On 2018-11-07, at 1:45 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 07/11/18 9:38 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
>> 1.  Make a method in a browser dirty.
>> 2.  Click on another method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
>> saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"
>> 3.  Click "No".
>> 4.  Now try click anywhere else or do anything else in other windows
>> or the desktop.  Every click anywhere causes the dialog to reappear
>> until you say "Yes" or cancel the method changes.
> Chris,
>
> I am unable to reproduce this problem. In Step 4, I am able to open the global menu or a workspace and continue working on other tasks without having the modal dialog pop up.

Same thing on 5.2 32bit Pi - no problem with the dialogue at all.

Now an obvious thing is that my set of preferences is almost certainly very different to Chris' and some of those settings may have a relevant effect. I don't use smart splitters for example and maybe something related to that is interacting with the mouse presses; no idea.

tim
Useful random insult:- If she was any dumber, she'd be a green plant.

Re: inescapable modal dialog in trunk

Chris Muller-3
Well, it appears the problem is present in the production 5.2 image
with stock Preference settings too!   :(

Here are exact steps to reproduce using the production 5.2 image:

1) launch Squeak5.2.

2) Click "Skip" to remove the "Welcome To Squeak" banner.  Close the
"Welcome To Squeak" window, too.

3) Click in the search bar in the upper right, type "asFloat" (without
quotes), and press [Return].  The window showing implementors is shown
with the first method selected.

4) Make it dirty.  Click in the text pane and insert a space.

5) Click on the second method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"

6) Click "No".

7) Now try to click on the desktop.  The dialog keeps coming back.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 12:22 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 2018-11-07, at 1:45 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 07/11/18 9:38 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> >> 1.  Make a method in a browser dirty.
> >> 2.  Click on another method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
> >> saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"
> >> 3.  Click "No".
> >> 4.  Now try click anywhere else or do anything else in other windows
> >> or the desktop.  Every click anywhere causes the dialog to reappear
> >> until you say "Yes" or cancel the method changes.
> > Chris,
> >
> > I am unable to reproduce this problem. In Step 4, I am able to open the global menu or a workspace and continue working on other tasks without having the modal dialog pop up.
>
> Same thing on 5.2 32bit Pi - no problem with the dialogue at all.
>
> Now an obvious thing is that my set of preferences is almost certainly very different to Chris' and some of those settings may have a relevant effect. I don't use smart splitters for example and maybe something related to that is interacting with the mouse presses; no idea.
>

> tim
> --
> Useful random insult:- If she was any dumber, she'd be a green plant.

Re: inescapable modal dialog in trunk

Jakob Reschke-2
Confirmed. 5.2b 18225 Windows 64 bit.

Am Do., 8. Nov. 2018 um 22:29 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
Well, it appears the problem is present in the production 5.2 image
with stock Preference settings too!   :(

Here are exact steps to reproduce using the production 5.2 image:

1) launch Squeak5.2.

2) Click "Skip" to remove the "Welcome To Squeak" banner.  Close the
"Welcome To Squeak" window, too.

3) Click in the search bar in the upper right, type "asFloat" (without
quotes), and press [Return].  The window showing implementors is shown
with the first method selected.

4) Make it dirty.  Click in the text pane and insert a space.

5) Click on the second method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"

6) Click "No".

7) Now try to click on the desktop.  The dialog keeps coming back.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 12:22 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 2018-11-07, at 1:45 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 07/11/18 9:38 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> >> 1.  Make a method in a browser dirty.
> >> 2.  Click on another method.  Squeak displays, "Changes have not been
> >> saved, is it okay to cancel those changes?"
> >> 3.  Click "No".
> >> 4.  Now try click anywhere else or do anything else in other windows
> >> or the desktop.  Every click anywhere causes the dialog to reappear
> >> until you say "Yes" or cancel the method changes.
> > Chris,
> >
> > I am unable to reproduce this problem. In Step 4, I am able to open the global menu or a workspace and continue working on other tasks without having the modal dialog pop up.
>
> Same thing on 5.2 32bit Pi - no problem with the dialogue at all.
>
> Now an obvious thing is that my set of preferences is almost certainly very different to Chris' and some of those settings may have a relevant effect. I don't use smart splitters for example and maybe something related to that is interacting with the mouse presses; no idea.
>

> tim
> --
> Useful random insult:- If she was any dumber, she'd be a green plant.

Re: inescapable modal dialog in trunk

timrowledge
Interesting data point, maybe, is that with Chris' recipe I get the problem as he describes it BUT if I open a full browser and make the method text dirty, click on another method and say 'no' to the dialogue I can then get the window menu, click on the method list (as opened by the menubar search) etc.

The only oddity I see is that once or twice clicking on the method list gives me the 'moving window around' frame and until I click again it wants to drag the window position. Hmm, trying to replicate that I think it might be an artefact of moving the mouse rapidly and clicking before stopping - I can get the same effect without the dialogue being involved. Maybe I'm triggering the drag action inadvertently.

tim
Useful random insult:- Low on thinking gas.

Re: inescapable modal dialog in trunk

K K Subbu
I can reproduce this in Squeak-5.2 Linux-64b.

Surprisingly, After step 7, if I right click in the text pane, I get a
strange menu that begins "Create New Service". If I now dismiss this
menu and then click on desktop, I am able to get a menu and everything
works normally, including getting the proper right-click menu in the
original text pane.

Weird .. Subbu