rails niceties equivalents?

1234

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Ramon Leon-5

Yea, the blog got pushed onto the back burner in lieu of other things going
on in my life this last year.  I'm getting my hands dirty with Gemstone at
the moment so I'll have some stuff to blog about soon.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

keith1y
I have no idea about rails features... my contribution to this scene is
Beach.

Beach provides a framework for writing Modules of components both on the
front and backend, and the interface between them, So for example there
are BeachLogin-Seaside components, and BeachLogin-Pier components, with
BeachLogin-MySql backend component.

Beach uses Magritte heavily, In the front end, data models once
described in magritte, can be presented as a form generated from the
magritte description. In the backend the magritte description can map
the data into MySql tables.

At the moment Beach is just out of the starting gate, and is being used
in one project. It contains many small packages (like seaside29) loading
it will proably not be panless. There is a package Beach-Packages which
describes the dependencies (in theory)

Beach is in squeaksource.com/Beach

Keith

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

SeanTAllen

> Beach is in squeaksource.com/Beach

on a general note about squeaksource...

the lack of any real description for many project makes it really hard
to use for the newbie, especially
when browsing through trying to see what exists:

take Beach:

'Where everything comes together at the seaside.'

statistical analysis:

'Perform some analysis on Smalltalk code.'

whereas sandstonedb actually tells you something:

SandstoneDb is a lightweight Prevayler style embedded object database
with an ActiveRecord API that doesn't require a command pattern and
works for small apps that a single Squeak image can handle. The idea
is to make a Squeak image durable and crash proof and suitable for use
in small office applications.

Data is kept in ram for speed and on disk for safety. All data is
reloaded from disk on image startup.

Since we're dealing with live objects in memory, concurrency is
handled via optional record level critical sections rather than
optimistic locking and commit failures. It's up to the developer to
use critical sections at the appropriate points by using the critical
method on the record.

Saves are atomic for an ActiveRecord and all its non ActiveRecord
children, for example, an order and its items. There is no atomic save
across multiple ActiveRecords. A record is a cluster of objects that
are stored in a single file together.

After installing SandstoneDb make sure to restart your image before
attempting to use it or running the tests.

Assuming you have the latest SUnit (SUnitGUI-improved from Universe),
all tests should pass.

For more information see SandstoneDb, Simple ActiveRecord Style
Persistence in Squeak

If you find this project useful, please drop me an email and let me
know.

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

James Robertson-7
You can still apply for the beta, and yes - a lot of the easy to get
started stuff is there in Web Velocity.  To get an idea, see the
videos here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_videos_web_velocity

Web Velocity adds persistence using an ActiveRecord pattern (on top of
a full ORM, Glorp).  It makes creating and deploying apps pretty easy.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On May 14, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Jason Rogers wrote:

> You could also see if Cincom is still offering slots in their beta
> program for WebVelocity.  They offer some of these things out of the
> box.
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM, sergio_101
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On May 14, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>>
>>> You are facing 2 paradigm shifts actually. The web framework which
>>> is
>>> seaside,
>>> and persisting in an ODB which has *nothing* to do with seaside.
>>

>> i kind of like the seaside framework MUCH better.. just because
>> it's more
>> like GUI programming.
>>
>> in rails, i STILL feel like i am always programming a website..
>> with  all
>> the extra things you have to worry about..
>>
>> seaside feels more like programming and application (in an app
>> framework)..
>>
>> thanks!

> Jason Rogers
>
> "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
> yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
> which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
> the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
> himself for me."
>    Galatians 2:20

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

sergio_101-2

On May 14, 2009, at 10:05 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> You can still apply for the beta, and yes - a lot of the easy to get
> started stuff is there in Web Velocity. To get an idea, see the
> videos here:

i checked out web velocity via the videos, but i wasn't sure how much
a license would cost in the event that i got addicted..

On May 14, 2009, at 4:31 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Probably this is the time to have a web page to collect them.
>
> Stef

i would offer hosting of the project...

On May 14, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Sean Allen wrote:

> it would seem to be a good time for that. i was watching the seaside
> list for 12 months before i really started a real project so i had a
> bit of a leg up

which framework were you using before?

the reason i ask is..

i am wondering if someone who went from rails to seaside had some
views to share..

thanks!

On May 14, 2009, at 10:54 PM, sergio_101 wrote:

> On May 14, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Sean Allen wrote:
>
>> it would seem to be a good time for that. i was watching the
>> seaside list for 12 months before i really started a real project
>> so i had a bit of a leg up
>

> which framework were you using before?
>
> the reason i ask is..
>
> i am wondering if someone who went from rails to seaside had some
> views to share..

rails and home grown perl immediately before.

well, i'm supporting a home grown perl that i inherited, we started
down the road to replacing with rails.
rails was great, it convinced me that everything i thought about web
dev was wrong, by the time i was done,
i hated templates, orms and state. went looking for something that fit
with my new thinking and seaside
was there, i spent a long time evaluating it and other alternatives
before we decided to jump ship and move
to seaside and gemstone. that decision was made at smalltalk solutions
last year after getting to
have all my questions answered by James Foster. a few toy projects
down, some pressing now work and 11 months
later we are 6 weeks into the re-engineering with glass.

i hadn't realized until recently how badly my thinking had been warped
by web dev. how many problems like
state and orm that i was solving over and over that never should have
been problems in the first place.

you can email me off list and we can talk rails to seaside etc all you
want, unless someone here pipes up and says they
are interested in the tangent.

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Nevin Pratt

> you can email me off list and we can talk rails to seaside etc all you
> want, unless someone here pipes up and says they
> are interested in the tangent.

I for one would be interested.  Comparisons and contrasts are
educational, and the information helps to intelligently talk to others
that use other technologies.

Nevin

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Pat Maddox-2
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Nevin Pratt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> you can email me off list and we can talk rails to seaside etc all you
>> want, unless someone here pipes up and says they
>> are interested in the tangent.
>>

> I for one would be interested.  Comparisons and contrasts are educational,
> and the information helps to intelligently talk to others that use other
> technologies.

Me too.  Would love a public thread on this.

Pat

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Ramon Leon-5
>> you can email me off list and we can talk rails to seaside etc all you
>> want, unless someone here pipes up and says they
>> are interested in the tangent.
>>

> I for one would be interested.  Comparisons and contrasts are educational,
> and the information helps to intelligently talk to others that use other
> technologies.

Me too.  Would love a public thread on this.

Pat

Same here, start a new thread and put this conversion on the list.  I'm sure many people would be interested in your experiences over the last year with Seaside as well as how you contrast it to your previous Rails experience.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Jason Rogers-4
I too would be interested, but for somewhat different reasons.  I
think Rails still has a place.  The right tool for the right job...

I use Seaside, Rails, Sinatra, and a small host of other things based
on the needs of the project.

On May 15, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Jason Rogers wrote:

> I too would be interested, but for somewhat different reasons.  I
> think Rails still has a place.  The right tool for the right job...

one of my current projects requires that other apps have direct access
to the mysql database.. a fact that i can't get around.. this was
going to be my first seaside app, but for those reasons, i started a
rails app..

did i shoot too soon?

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 15, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Jason Rogers wrote:

I too would be interested, but for somewhat different reasons.  I
think Rails still has a place.  The right tool for the right job...

one of my current projects requires that other apps have direct access to the mysql database.. a fact that i can't get around..

why you couldn't get around ?

this was going to be my first seaside app, but for those reasons, i started a rails app..

did i shoot too soon?

Yes. This is exactly what we want to avoid with SqueakDBX. I don't know which Smalltalk are you using, but in Squeak there is a native driver for MySQL and there is SqueakDBX that has access to many backends in many OS.

___________
sergio t. ruiz
network analyst
red red design
419.281.8483

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre-2
It would be usefulf for you to use ODBC?
I think you can give a try to SqueakDBX to connect mysql too

On May 15, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> why you couldn't get around ?

this was part of the spec from the client...

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:01 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 15, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

why you couldn't get around ?

this was part of the spec from the client...

I think I misunderstood the question. I thought you couldn't make it work ;)

On May 15, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Ramon Leon wrote:

>> you can email me off list and we can talk rails to seaside etc all you
>> want, unless someone here pipes up and says they
>> are interested in the tangent.
>>

> I for one would be interested.  Comparisons and contrasts are educational,
> and the information helps to intelligently talk to others that use other
> technologies.

Me too.  Would love a public thread on this.

Pat

Same here, start a new thread and put this conversion on the list.  I'm sure many people would be interested in your experiences over the last year with Seaside as well as how you contrast it to your previous Rails experience.

Ramon Leon

I'll do that this weekend. I really should get off my lazy butt and start a blog as I keep having this general conversation- the how did we end up at Seaside ( really GLASS ).

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Ramon Leon-5
Same here, start a new thread and put this conversion on the list.  I'm sure many people would be interested in your experiences over the last year with Seaside as well as how you contrast it to your previous Rails experience.

Ramon Leon

I'll do that this weekend. I really should get off my lazy butt and start a blog as I keep having this general conversation- the how did we end up at Seaside ( really GLASS ).

Now you're talking!

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Eagle Offshore
Yes, I know. That's why my last three projects have been done in rails.

Sometimes I wish seaside would copy more and "innovate" less.

-Todd Blanchard

On May 14, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Seaside is not Rails in Smalltalk.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe
1234