rails niceties equivalents?

1234

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre-2
you are not alone in your feeling Todd.
To know were not to invent is wisdom
sebastian

SeanTAllen

On May 15, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Eagle Offshore wrote:

> Yes, I know. That's why my last three projects have been done in
> rails.
>
> Sometimes I wish seaside would copy more and "innovate" less.

I'm sure everyone would welcome any contributions you could make
in the copying area that would make seaside more useful for 'rails'
type jobs.

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

stephane ducasse
Hi Todd and others

So why don't you offer code. Start small and step by step help.
Why this discussion comes from time to time?
You cannot ask lukas and julian to speed up, make seaside uses less
memory, clean and improve the Javascript and in addition offer database
supports.....
Something I have the impression that the seaside community is mainly
people
complaining but not really offering support and new code.
Sorry to be harsh but this is not like that we will improve.

Stef

> Yes, I know. That's why my last three projects have been done in
> rails.
>
> Sometimes I wish seaside would copy more and "innovate" less.
>
> -Todd Blanchard
>
> On May 14, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> Seaside is not Rails in Smalltalk.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Philippe

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

sergio_101-2

On May 15, 2009, at 3:16 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Something I have the impression that the seaside community is mainly
> people
> complaining but not really offering support and new code.

i would imagine alot of folks are just getting used to a new framework..

like, when you get a new car.. it feels foreign, and you can't even
roll down the window or turn on the lights without looking around for
the button..

after a week..

you can drive with your eyes shut while talking on the phone.. like
everyone else in my town..

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Eagle Offshore
First, the point of my rather cranky reply was to point out how the
other remark was not only not helpful, but off-putting.  This is how
seaside community gets labelled "unfriendly" and "arrogant".  There's
a lot of nice ideas in rails.  Many are worth stealing.

Seaside is a deep magical framework (the session state management
magic and continuations) make it really hard to contribute anything at
the core level unless they've studied and studied it.  We can't all
devote that much time to mastering all that magic.

OK, here's a couple of things I wish were solved and have take a bit
of time to look at and keep hitting the wall on.  At some point fairly
soon, I promise I'll take at least one of them on and try to do
something about it if I get a little help pointing me in the right
direction.

I do periodically download the seaside image, and have also tried to
get started with glass a time or two.  In the end I keep running into
time constraints and bugs that I can't seem to get around, tools are
in a state of flux, etc.... and I conclude its just not stable enough
yet.  But I keep checking back.

The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need)
is ways to do RESTful dispatching.  The usual reply is that it is done
in Pier and I could download Pier and look at that.  I've done this
and browsed code for a few hours, and still come up empty about how to
do this in generic Seaside.  I think the core maintainers have to do
this - only they have the knowledge.

In general, tracking down how URLs get built and routed in Seaside is
HARD (at least it was in the previous versions - I haven't looked at
the latest one).  Rails has a really GREAT convention of making urls a
standard REST format of scheme://server/controller/action/id and a
"routes" file for customizing this.  This is a great idea.  I love
it.  I now miss it everywhere else I work.  It has to be easier to
customize URL generation in seaside in a centralized way.  Maybe I'm
too stupid for this, but every time I set out to do this, I get lost,
deadlines loom, and I fall back on what I know will work (rails or
django).

Problem 2 - and this is huge.  No horizontal scalability pattern has
emerged.  Rails has Mongrel and some really slick sharing via
memcached (which actually, if I were to do something for seaside -
adding a memcached client would be a giant win).  With all application
state stored in memcache storage, I can update and bounce the rails
apps at any time without hosing a single session.  GLASS looks like it
may well solve this problem - except my hosting providers don't
provide 64 bit machines and I get lost every time I try to get started
with GLASS because I hit some half baked tool problem and give up.

OK, actually, since I agree that code talks - tell me if anyone is
doing a memcache client, and if not, I'll try to do one and see about
applying it to shared session storage - because state in the image
sucks for production and reliability.  I want any image in a pool to
be able to fail at any time and not have a single user notice.  Until
it does this, I can't consider it for real work.

-Todd Blanchard

On May 15, 2009, at 12:16 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi Todd and others
>
> So why don't you offer code. Start small and step by step help.
> Why this discussion comes from time to time?
> You cannot ask lukas and julian to speed up, make seaside uses less
> memory, clean and improve the Javascript and in addition offer
> database
> supports.....
> Something I have the impression that the seaside community is mainly
> people
> complaining but not really offering support and new code.
> Sorry to be harsh but this is not like that we will improve.
>
> Stef
>

>> Yes, I know. That's why my last three projects have been done in
>> rails.
>>
>> Sometimes I wish seaside would copy more and "innovate" less.
>>
>> -Todd Blanchard
>>
>> On May 14, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>>
>>> Seaside is not Rails in Smalltalk.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Philippe

On May 15, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Eagle Offshore wrote:

> First, the point of my rather cranky reply was to point out how the
> other remark was not only not helpful, but off-putting.  This is how
> seaside community gets labelled "unfriendly" and "arrogant".
> There's a lot of nice ideas in rails.  Many are worth stealing.

sure I believe it.
I want to do CRUD like applications and not be forced to use Rails :)

> Seaside is a deep magical framework (the session state management
> magic and continuations) make it really hard to contribute anything
> at the core level unless they've studied and studied it.  We can't
> all devote that much time to mastering all that magic.

I was not talking at this level.
Lukas et al are there for that. We need layers and easing people to
build simple application

> OK, here's a couple of things I wish were solved and have take a bit
> of time to look at and keep hitting the wall on.  At some point
> fairly soon, I promise I'll take at least one of them on and try to
> do something about it if I get a little help pointing me in the
> right direction.

Great!

> I do periodically download the seaside image, and have also tried to
> get started with glass a time or two.  In the end I keep running
> into time constraints and bugs that I can't seem to get around,
> tools are in a state of flux, etc.... and I conclude its just not
> stable enough yet.  But I keep checking back.

Like what?

> The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need)
> is ways to do RESTful dispatching.  The usual reply is that it is
> done in Pier and I could download Pier and look at that.  I've done
> this and browsed code for a few hours, and still come up empty about
> how to do this in generic Seaside.  I think the core maintainers
> have to do this - only they have the knowledge.

Ok this is a concrete suggestions. Lukas et al?

> In general, tracking down how URLs get built and routed in Seaside
> is HARD (at least it was in the previous versions - I haven't looked
> at the latest one).  Rails has a really GREAT convention of making
> urls a standard REST format of scheme://server/controller/action/id
> and a "routes" file for customizing this.  This is a great idea.  I
> love it.  I now miss it everywhere else I work.  It has to be easier
> to customize URL generation in seaside in a centralized way.  Maybe
> I'm too stupid for this, but every time I set out to do this, I get
> lost, deadlines loom, and I fall back on what I know will work
> (rails or django).
>
> Problem 2 - and this is huge.  No horizontal scalability pattern has
> emerged.  Rails has Mongrel and some really slick sharing via
> memcached (which actually, if I were to do something for seaside -
> adding a memcached client would be a giant win).  With all
> application state stored in memcache storage, I can update and
> bounce the rails apps at any time without hosing a single session.
> GLASS looks like it may well solve this problem - except my hosting
> providers don't provide 64 bit machines and I get lost every time I
> try to get started with GLASS because I hit some half baked tool
> problem and give up.

I see.

> OK, actually, since I agree that code talks - tell me if anyone is
> doing a memcache client, and if not, I'll try to do one and see
> about applying it to shared session storage - because state in the
> image sucks for production and reliability.  I want any image in a
> pool to be able to fail at any time and not have a single user
> notice.  Until it does this, I can't consider it for real work.

I really think that this is the way to go. There are a lot of
seasiders out there and giving a bit of time to
the community could really make Seaside and its environment much
friendlier.

sd

> -Todd Blanchard
>
> On May 15, 2009, at 12:16 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi Todd and others
>>
>> So why don't you offer code. Start small and step by step help.
>> Why this discussion comes from time to time?
>> You cannot ask lukas and julian to speed up, make seaside uses less
>> memory, clean and improve the Javascript and in addition offer
>> database
>> supports.....
>> Something I have the impression that the seaside community is
>> mainly people
>> complaining but not really offering support and new code.
>> Sorry to be harsh but this is not like that we will improve.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Yes, I know. That's why my last three projects have been done in
>>> rails.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I wish seaside would copy more and "innovate" less.
>>>
>>> -Todd Blanchard

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Julian Fitzell-2
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Eagle Offshore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First, the point of my rather cranky reply was to point out how the other
> remark was not only not helpful, but off-putting.  This is how seaside
> community gets labelled "unfriendly" and "arrogant".  There's a lot of nice
> ideas in rails.  Many are worth stealing.

I agree. As others have pointed out, it's not for lack of desire, per
se, on the core developers' parts. There's just only so much time and
we choose to focus our time on the low-level stuff that others can not
so easily tackle. If something can be "added on", we probably won't do
it because somebody else could.

> Seaside is a deep magical framework (the session state management magic and
> continuations) make it really hard to contribute anything at the core level
> unless they've studied and studied it.  We can't all devote that much time
> to mastering all that magic.

We've tried hard in 2.9 to take a lot of the magic out or at least
make it clearer (actually one of my biggest complaints about Rails is
the "magic" :) ). I'm also working on design documentation that should
help somewhat. If anyone wants to pay me to spend more time on a
particular area of Seaside that is felt to be lacking, I'd be happy to
consider it; otherwise I have to balance paid work, Seaside core
hacking, and other activities.

> OK, here's a couple of things I wish were solved and have take a bit of time
> to look at and keep hitting the wall on.  At some point fairly soon, I
> promise I'll take at least one of them on and try to do something about it
> if I get a little help pointing me in the right direction.

Glad to hear it and, as I hope you've observed, we're always quick to
share pointers with anyone who is trying to contribute code.

> I do periodically download the seaside image, and have also tried to get
> started with glass a time or two.  In the end I keep running into time
> constraints and bugs that I can't seem to get around, tools are in a state
> of flux, etc.... and I conclude its just not stable enough yet.  But I keep
> checking back.
>
> The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need) is ways
> to do RESTful dispatching.  The usual reply is that it is done in Pier and I
> could download Pier and look at that.  I've done this and browsed code for a
> few hours, and still come up empty about how to do this in generic Seaside.
>  I think the core maintainers have to do this - only they have the
> knowledge.
>
> In general, tracking down how URLs get built and routed in Seaside is HARD
> (at least it was in the previous versions - I haven't looked at the latest
> one).  Rails has a really GREAT convention of making urls a standard REST
> format of scheme://server/controller/action/id and a "routes" file for
> customizing this.  This is a great idea.  I love it.  I now miss it
> everywhere else I work.  It has to be easier to customize URL generation in
> seaside in a centralized way.  Maybe I'm too stupid for this, but every time
> I set out to do this, I get lost, deadlines loom, and I fall back on what I
> know will work (rails or django).

RESTful dispatching has always been possible but the framework never
targeted it. 2.9 should make it somewhat clearer and in fact I'm
currently intending to give an intermediate Seaside tutorial at ESUG,
which will likely touch on at least one way to do this. Colin's
Altitude experiment also played with this a bit. I've spent a little
time in the past trying to think how you could map Rails' routing
configuration into a Smalltalk world and just haven't come up with a
great solution. This is not even remotely challenging at a *technical*
level; it's just a matter of coming up with a good interface and I
just don't know what it is yet.

> Problem 2 - and this is huge.  No horizontal scalability pattern has
> emerged.  Rails has Mongrel and some really slick sharing via memcached
> (which actually, if I were to do something for seaside - adding a memcached
> client would be a giant win).  With all application state stored in memcache
> storage, I can update and bounce the rails apps at any time without hosing a
> single session.  GLASS looks like it may well solve this problem - except my
> hosting providers don't provide 64 bit machines and I get lost every time I
> try to get started with GLASS because I hit some half baked tool problem and
> give up.

I think GLASS is our (the core developers') favourite option here but
I think everyone agrees that the "all-around" experience in terms of
deployment, configuration, and so on could do with improvement. I'm
hoping that by facilitating and better documenting ways to use Seaside
without Applications and Sessions, RESTful sites can be more easily
created and scaled. For stateful applications, GLASS really is a good
way to go but in any case we, as a community, need to come up with a
better experience for getting from development to deployment.
Contributions are hugely welcome here or, again, if anybody wants to
pay me to work on it, that could be possible.

> OK, actually, since I agree that code talks - tell me if anyone is doing a
> memcache client, and if not, I'll try to do one and see about applying it to
> shared session storage - because state in the image sucks for production and
> reliability.  I want any image in a pool to be able to fail at any time and
> not have a single user notice.  Until it does this, I can't consider it for
> real work.
>
> -Todd Blanchard

Oh, it's you, Todd. I thought I was replying to someone called Eagle. :)

You said you wished Seaside would innovate less and I think we are
getting there. Despite a huge amount of changed code, Seaside 2.9 is
really all about refining and not about innovation. People haven't
been clamouring for new features so we've really been focusing on
cleaning up and clarifying the existing architecture, generalizing
where possible, improving comments, standardizing categories, and
breaking things up into packages. The packages reflect largely what
the layer boundaries were always supposed to be but they have become
muddied over the years without design docs. Hopefully the end result
will be something that people can more easily extend and build upon
(including copying other frameworks).

So again, I hope we're moving to make the kind of copying you want
easier and I think that's the best things for us to spend our time on.
All of us are happy to point anyone who wants to extend the framework
in the right direction (I'm happy to discuss possible architectures on
Skype). And if anyone would rather pay me to scratch their own itch,
let me know. :)

Julian

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre-2
I was confident but this clarifications adds the sense of hope for the project.
It's perfectly natural for a grown project to have people available to push
things.
I mean, you can contract Thomas Fuchs in the very scriptaculous page.
What stop us to see what seaside ninjas (Julian et al.) we can contract if we
need to in the seaside very page?
sebastian

Philippe Marschall
2009/5/15 Eagle Offshore <[hidden email]>:
> First, the point of my rather cranky reply was to point out how the other
> remark was not only not helpful, but off-putting.  This is how seaside
> community gets labelled "unfriendly" and "arrogant".  There's a lot of nice
> ideas in rails.  Many are worth stealing.

Rails solves a different problem, really. If you like rails, just
continue using it. If you want a copy of rails, do one.

> Seaside is a deep magical framework (the session state management magic and
> continuations) make it really hard to contribute anything at the core level
> unless they've studied and studied it.  We can't all devote that much time
> to mastering all that magic.

Noone expects or asks you do contribute, change or understand anything
at the core level.

> OK, here's a couple of things I wish were solved and have take a bit of time
> to look at and keep hitting the wall on.  At some point fairly soon, I
> promise I'll take at least one of them on and try to do something about it
> if I get a little help pointing me in the right direction.
>
> I do periodically download the seaside image, and have also tried to get
> started with glass a time or two.  In the end I keep running into time
> constraints and bugs that I can't seem to get around, tools are in a state
> of flux, etc.... and I conclude its just not stable enough yet.  But I keep
> checking back.
>
> The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need) is ways
> to do RESTful dispatching.

Seaside is not a RESTful framework. If you need that look somewhere
else. There are certain ways to emulate certain things but that's
about it.

> The usual reply is that it is done in Pier and I
> could download Pier and look at that.  I've done this and browsed code for a
> few hours, and still come up empty about how to do this in generic Seaside.
>  I think the core maintainers have to do this - only they have the
> knowledge.

The usual reply is look at #initialRequest: #updateUrl: and
#addToPath: they actually have comments. Look at WABrowser for
concrete example.

> In general, tracking down how URLs get built and routed in Seaside is HARD
> (at least it was in the previous versions - I haven't looked at the latest
> one).  Rails has a really GREAT convention of making urls a standard REST
> format of scheme://server/controller/action/id and a "routes" file for
> customizing this.  This is a great idea.  I love it.  I now miss it
> everywhere else I work.

Great, use an MVC style web framework. Really, these things work fine
for MVC style web frameworks but will end up in pain for component
based frameworks. If that is what you need and works really well for
you then Seaside isn't well suited for your problem unless you just
want to use WARequestHandler, WARequest and WAResponse.

> It has to be easier to customize URL generation in
> seaside in a centralized way.  Maybe I'm too stupid for this, but every time
> I set out to do this, I get lost, deadlines loom, and I fall back on what I
> know will work (rails or django).

If they work well then that means they're well suited for the problem
and Seaside is not. No point in tying to use Seaside or making it fit
the problem.

> Problem 2 - and this is huge.  No horizontal scalability pattern has
> emerged.

That's a Smalltalk (image) problem, talk to your vendor.

> Rails has Mongrel

That was yesterday, today is phusion passenger.

> and some really slick sharing via memcached
> (which actually, if I were to do something for seaside - adding a memcached
> client would be a giant win).

http://www.squeaksource.com/memcached.html
Needs users, testers, contributors, bugfixing, documentation, the usual stuff.

> With all application state stored in memcache
> storage, I can update and bounce the rails apps at any time without hosing a
> single session.

Yeah, as long as your whole session state is just a couple of strings
everything is fine. As soon as your session state is arbitrary objects
including blocks and continuations you enter a world of pain.
memcached is only really useful if you can't preserve state across
requests (PHP).

> GLASS looks like it may well solve this problem - except my
> hosting providers don't provide 64 bit machines and I get lost every time I
> try to get started with GLASS because I hit some half baked tool problem and
> give up.

Complain at GemStone.

> OK, actually, since I agree that code talks - tell me if anyone is doing a
> memcache client, and if not, I'll try to do one and see about applying it to
> shared session storage - because state in the image sucks for production and
> reliability.  I want any image in a pool to be able to fail at any time and
> not have a single user notice.  Until it does this, I can't consider it for
> real work.

See above.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

James Robertson-7
Seaside as a framework isn't trying to solve the problems you're after
below.  Vendors, on the other hand (as well as interested open source
developers, I'm just less familiar with things like the work Ramon
Leon has been doing) are solving them.

-- Cincom has been working on Web Velocity.  See the videos here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_videos_web_velocity

If you're interested in having a look, the beta program is still
open.  Just drop me an email

-- Gemstone has been working on GLASS.  I've only looked briefly at
GLASS, but James Foster and Dale Henrichs have been pretty responsive
over the last year or two on this.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On May 15, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Eagle Offshore wrote:

> [...]
>
> -Todd Blanchard
>
> On May 15, 2009, at 12:16 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi Todd and others
>>
>> So why don't you offer code. Start small and step by step help.
>> Why this discussion comes from time to time?
>> You cannot ask lukas and julian to speed up, make seaside uses less
>> memory, clean and improve the Javascript and in addition offer
>> database
>> supports.....
>> Something I have the impression that the seaside community is
>> mainly people
>> complaining but not really offering support and new code.
>> Sorry to be harsh but this is not like that we will improve.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Yes, I know. That's why my last three projects have been done in
>>> rails.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I wish seaside would copy more and "innovate" less.

I had to move all my list subscriptions to another mailbox when I got
an iphone.  Poor thing couldn't keep up. :-)

On May 15, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Oh, it's you, Todd. I thought I was replying to someone called
> Eagle. :)

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Julian Fitzell-2
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/5/15 Eagle Offshore <[hidden email]>:
>> The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need) is ways
>> to do RESTful dispatching.
>
> Seaside is not a RESTful framework. If you need that look somewhere
> else. There are certain ways to emulate certain things but that's
> about it.
>
>> The usual reply is that it is done in Pier and I
>> could download Pier and look at that.  I've done this and browsed code for a
>> few hours, and still come up empty about how to do this in generic Seaside.
>>  I think the core maintainers have to do this - only they have the
>> knowledge.
>
> The usual reply is look at #initialRequest: #updateUrl: and
> #addToPath: they actually have comments. Look at WABrowser for
> concrete example.

I don't think it's that simple and I don't think we should discourage
people who want to work on this. It is true that nobody has come up
with a good paradigm for doing non-Session REST stuff in Seaside and
also true that we haven't even come close to figuring out a good way
to blend the two but I would suggest that in a huge number of cases
you don't need both within the same "application" anyway.

Seaside has always been capable of supporting other paradigms, though
this should be more obvious again with the reorganization in 2.9. At
its core, Seaside is a request and response dispatching engine. So
while you are right that Seaside is not *currently* a RESTful
framework, it wouldn't take much effort to make it support both a
Rails-type model and the existing Session model if only someone knew
what they wanted a request handler for the former to look like. And I
think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
people.

How best to support semi-RESTful URLs while still maintaining full
session state and the ability to write complex control flows is still
a matter of much debate and a prime area for further research and
experimentation. But that doesn't mean someone can't move to support
the two separately in the meantime.

Julian

2009/5/17 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Philippe Marschall
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2009/5/15 Eagle Offshore <[hidden email]>:
>>> The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need) is ways
>>> to do RESTful dispatching.
>>
>> Seaside is not a RESTful framework. If you need that look somewhere
>> else. There are certain ways to emulate certain things but that's
>> about it.
>>
>>> The usual reply is that it is done in Pier and I
>>> could download Pier and look at that.  I've done this and browsed code for a
>>> few hours, and still come up empty about how to do this in generic Seaside.
>>>  I think the core maintainers have to do this - only they have the
>>> knowledge.
>>
>> The usual reply is look at #initialRequest: #updateUrl: and
>> #addToPath: they actually have comments. Look at WABrowser for
>> concrete example.
>
> I don't think it's that simple and I don't think we should discourage
> people who want to work on this.

Well it is a lot of work doing it and then maintaining it.

> It is true that nobody has come up
> with a good paradigm for doing non-Session REST stuff in Seaside and
> also true that we haven't even come close to figuring out a good way
> to blend the two but I would suggest that in a huge number of cases
> you don't need both within the same "application" anyway.

Right, because we had no need for it.

> Seaside has always been capable of supporting other paradigms, though
> this should be more obvious again with the reorganization in 2.9. At
> its core, Seaside is a request and response dispatching engine. So
> while you are right that Seaside is not *currently* a RESTful
> framework, it wouldn't take much effort to make it support both a
> Rails-type model and the existing Session model if only someone knew
> what they wanted a request handler for the former to look like. And I
> think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
> full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
> people.

Right, but there are at least two problems:
1. It has to be driven by a one or several application development
projects, otherwise nothing good will emerge from it. I seriously
question this will ever happen.
2. Database access, there's no portable way of doing it. So either we
write our own database abstraction layer (yay) or we accept that
database access again is not part of it (I can see people being
totally happy with that) and that each and every tutorial will do
database access in a different way (yay again).

Cheers
Philippe

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Julian Fitzell-2
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Right, but there are at least two problems:
> 1. It has to be driven by a one or several application development
> projects, otherwise nothing good will emerge from it. I seriously
> question this will ever happen.
> 2. Database access, there's no portable way of doing it. So either we
> write our own database abstraction layer (yay) or we accept that
> database access again is not part of it (I can see people being
> totally happy with that) and that each and every tutorial will do
> database access in a different way (yay again).

Agreed.

Re: rails niceties equivalents?

Ash-15
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think it's that simple and I don't think we should discourage
> people who want to work on this. It is true that nobody has come up
> with a good paradigm for doing non-Session REST stuff in Seaside and
> also true that we haven't even come close to figuring out a good way
> to blend the two but I would suggest that in a huge number of cases
> you don't need both within the same "application" anyway.
>
> Seaside has always been capable of supporting other paradigms, though
> this should be more obvious again with the reorganization in 2.9. At
> its core, Seaside is a request and response dispatching engine. So
> while you are right that Seaside is not *currently* a RESTful
> framework, it wouldn't take much effort to make it support both a
> Rails-type model and the existing Session model if only someone knew
> what they wanted a request handler for the former to look like. And I
> think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
> full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
> people.

I for one like this idea a lot.  Generating HTML and XML with the
Canvas is one of the big draws of Seaside for me, as well as the
support for Prototype / Scriptaculous and the like.  I also like the
idea of having RESTful and non-RESTful applications coexisting on the
same Seaside server.

Philippe: having active projects supporting the framework is a
chicken-and-egg problem.  If it's difficult to do REST in Seaside,
then users seeking to do REST projects will use Rails instead; if
there's an option to do so, however primitive, some of them may stay
and support the development.  I would think that the intersection of
web developers interested in REST and those interested in Seaside is
non-empty.

I definitely agree that lack of a coherent persistence strategy is a
big problem, though (one that I've run into myself).

--
http://twitter.com/smashwilson

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre-2
> I don't think it's that simple and I don't think we should discourage
> people who want to work on this.

+1. that's the easy way. That would be a shoot in the foot with cannon. Pretty
much as the experience of kicking in the ass your customers. Not an attitude to
talk well about.

> Seaside has always been capable of supporting other paradigms, though
> this should be more obvious again with the reorganization in 2.9. At
> its core, Seaside is a request and response dispatching engine. So
> while you are right that Seaside is not *currently* a RESTful
> framework, it wouldn't take much effort to make it support both a
> Rails-type model and the existing Session model if only someone knew
> what they wanted a request handler for the former to look like. And I
> think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
> full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
> people.

Absolutely and the core dev team should not feel pressure about this. I bet it
can be made as a Seaside add on that any other framework familiarized developer
can do and be kind enough to share under a MIT kind of license.

cheers,
sebastian

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre-2
> Well it is a lot of work doing it and then maintaining it.

That's why you should feel appealed to encourage others to do it.

> > think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
> > full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
> > people.
>
> Right, but there are at least two problems:
> 1. It has to be driven by a one or several application development
> projects, otherwise nothing good will emerge from it. I seriously
> question this will ever happen.

That's not a reason to disencourage others to do it in an add on or something. Maintain your questining but also let it be. That's different of actively disencourage and scare people that is curious about running a business on the technology your are involved on. Please don't do activities that make our community less rich. Why don't do things to get them more rich?

> 2. Database access, there's no portable way of doing it. So either we
> write our own database abstraction layer (yay) or we accept that
> database access again is not part of it (I can see people being
> totally happy with that) and that each and every tutorial will do
> database access in a different way (yay again).

Here I agree. Seaside does not need to compromise itself with persistence. Mostly because smalltalk use to have more technologically diverse persistence options than other technologies. In this case is clear that less is more.
cheers,
sebastian

2009/5/17 Ash Wilson <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't think it's that simple and I don't think we should discourage
>> people who want to work on this. It is true that nobody has come up
>> with a good paradigm for doing non-Session REST stuff in Seaside and
>> also true that we haven't even come close to figuring out a good way
>> to blend the two but I would suggest that in a huge number of cases
>> you don't need both within the same "application" anyway.
>>
>> Seaside has always been capable of supporting other paradigms, though
>> this should be more obvious again with the reorganization in 2.9. At
>> its core, Seaside is a request and response dispatching engine. So
>> while you are right that Seaside is not *currently* a RESTful
>> framework, it wouldn't take much effort to make it support both a
>> Rails-type model and the existing Session model if only someone knew
>> what they wanted a request handler for the former to look like. And I
>> think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
>> full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
>> people.
>
> I for one like this idea a lot.  Generating HTML and XML with the
> Canvas is one of the big draws of Seaside for me, as well as the
> support for Prototype / Scriptaculous and the like.  I also like the
> idea of having RESTful and non-RESTful applications coexisting on the
> same Seaside server.
>
> Philippe: having active projects supporting the framework is a
> chicken-and-egg problem.  If it's difficult to do REST in Seaside,
> then users seeking to do REST projects will use Rails instead; if
> there's an option to do so, however primitive, some of them may stay
> and support the development.  I would think that the intersection of
> web developers interested in REST and those interested in Seaside is
> non-empty.

Not anymore, instead of writing an awful lot of mails that don't get
anything done I sat for an hour and hacked something together:
http://www.squeaksource.com/SeasideMVC.html
(requires Seaside 2.9)
Now prove me wrong:
Use, test it, document it, develop it, deploy it, extend it, hire
Lukas or Julian or write your own. Do nothing and you prove me right.

> I definitely agree that lack of a coherent persistence strategy is a
> big problem, though (one that I've run into myself).

Out of the scope of Seaside, sorry.

Cheers
Philippe

RE: rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre-2
> Not anymore, instead of writing an awful lot of mails that don't get
> anything done I sat for an hour and hacked something together:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SeasideMVC.html
> (requires Seaside 2.9)
> Now prove me wrong:
> Use, test it, document it, develop it, deploy it, extend it, hire
> Lukas or Julian or write your own. Do nothing and you prove me right.

ha! myth busted. Thank you Philippe.
Please consider having a blog to talk about it.
cheers,
sebastian