search bar problems

Chris Muller-4
The search bar has developed a couple of issues that has rendered it a
lot less useful than before:

- It now only supports input instead both input and output.  e.g., it
no longer expands when its capacity is exceeded, so not only can I not
see the expression I'm typing, I can't see any reasonable output in
there because its stuck to be so tiny.

- When I press Control+0, my prior contents are deleted!  This is a
real pain because I use a quick gesture to retop the window I last
accessed (which since got buried by other windows) by simply pressing
Command+0+b (for example).  Now since my contents are erased I cannot
do that unless I remember and retype it what I had before..

I see SearchBar>>#activate:in: says "we cannot select all here".
Really?  All the power of ToolBuilder and MVC cannot do that?  This is
frustrating because as a user I don't care if the code is "cleaner" if
it causes usability to suffer this much.

I really just want a plain ol'e TextMorph up there.  I never found the
search functionality useful because it never opens the kind of browser
I want..

Re: search bar problems

timrowledge

On 06-04-2015, at 4:38 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really just want a plain ol'e TextMorph up there.  I never found the
> search functionality useful because it never opens the kind of browser
> I want..

A related complaint - when you enter a message that completely matches you don’t get a MessageNames window you get only the implementors of that message. So you end up having to enter ‘siz’ in order to get all messages containing size, for example. I’m sure somebody thought it was a good idea but all in all I’m going to have to demur.

tim
Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.

Re: search bar problems

marcel.taeumel (old)
https://xkcd.com/1172/ :)

I will look into it.

Btw: No, we don't want the primitive TextMorph there. We want something that scrolls to the side instead of "destroying" the docking bar layout. ;-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: search bar problems

marcel.taeumel (old)
Yeah, there has been always to much magic in the search bar that keeps on surprising me.

Best,
Marcel

Re: search bar problems

Levente Uzonyi-2
The original plan was to let the search bar grow vertically, but keep the
docking bar's height intact[1].

Levente

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149517.html

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> https://xkcd.com/1172/ :)
>
> I will look into it.
>
> Btw: No, we don't want the primitive TextMorph there. We want something that
> scrolls to the side instead of "destroying" the docking bar layout. ;-)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: search bar problems

marcel.taeumel (old)
You mean that a search "bar" could become a full-fledged "workspace"?

What about spawning a workspace with those contents from the search bar. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: search bar problems

marcel.taeumel (old)
This content-destruction-bug should be fixed: http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-mt-829-mcz-td4817939.html

Best,
Marcel

Re: search bar problems

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 6 Apr 2015, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 06-04-2015, at 4:38 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I really just want a plain ol'e TextMorph up there.  I never found the
>> search functionality useful because it never opens the kind of browser
>> I want..
>>

> A related complaint - when you enter a message that completely matches you don’t get a MessageNames window you get only the implementors of that message. So you end up having to enter ‘siz’ in order to get all messages containing size, for example. I’m sure somebody thought it was a good idea but all in all I’m going to have to demur.

You can always type "*size*" to get a MessageNames browser. I wouldn't
mind always getting that browser, if the exact match were selected
automatically when it exists.

Levente

> tim
> Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.

Re: search bar problems

Levente Uzonyi-2
One of the goals of the search bar is to avoid opening workspaces. And no,
it's not a workspace, because it doesn't (and shouldn't) have any
variables.
The name "SearchBar" is a bit misleading. It's intended to be a place
where you can evaluate expressions, and see the results, or you can type
something and search for it.

Levente

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> You mean that a search "bar" could become a full-fledged "workspace"?
>
> What about spawning a workspace with those contents from the search bar. :)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: search bar problems

marcel.taeumel (old)
So, I made the search bar more accessible but still not growing but scrolling to honor the surrounding UI.

Still, there is the problem of bigger print-its that cannot be viewed at a glance up there...

Best,
Marcel

Re: search bar problems

marcel.taeumel (old)
Does this come close to the intended scenario?

--> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-mt-838-mcz-td4818005.html

Best,
Marcel