[squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

12

[squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Edgar J. De Cleene
Early download at:

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/Squeak3dot10.7159.zip

It's the same as gamma with the Welcome window texrt from Ralph.

Please people in charge of ftp site , move to appropriate place and
actualize squeak.org page.

In minutes I could be on IRC and Skype for start to exchange ideas for 3.11,
before next meeting on Monday 24 at 18:00 UTC.

Give us your view , participate with ideas, feedback, etc.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi Edgar,

Isn't there something wrong with the URL?
If it is a final gama, why is it in the alpha folder?

Regards,
Noury
On 20 mars 08, at 13:04, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Early download at:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/Squeak3dot10.7159.zip
>
> It's the same as gamma with the Welcome window texrt from Ralph.
>
> Please people in charge of ftp site , move to appropriate place and
> actualize squeak.org page.
>
> In minutes I could be on IRC and Skype for start to exchange ideas
> for 3.11,
> before next meeting on Monday 24 at 18:00 UTC.
>
> Give us your view , participate with ideas, feedback, etc.
>
> Edgar

Noury Bouraqadi
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'enseignement de l'informatique
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

El 3/20/08 11:05 AM, "Noury Bouraqadi" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi Edgar,
>
> Isn't there something wrong with the URL?
> If it is a final gama, why is it in the alpha folder?
I put there for commodity, could move to appropriate place if I have
privileges.

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3dot10.7159.zip is the right one ?

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Vladimir Pogorelenko

20.03.2008, в 15:04, Edgar J. De Cleene написал(а):

>  ideas for 3.11,
> Give us your view , participate with ideas, feedback, etc.

Official and complete support for input and output in multiple
languages (Unicode) in all major environments like Mac OS X, Windows,
Linux.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

José Luis Redrejo

2008/3/20, Vladimir Pogorelenko <[hidden email]>:

20.03.2008, в 15:04, Edgar J. De Cleene написал(а):

>  ideas for 3.11,

> Give us your view , participate with ideas, feedback, etc.

Official and complete support for input and output in multiple
languages (Unicode) in all major environments like Mac OS X, Windows,
Linux.

The attached cs does it, at least for spanish.
Regards.

UnicodeInputSupport-jlrr.1.cs (784 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Michael Davies-2
Great work Edgar.

I'm putting together a news article on this, but it's proving
difficult for me to pin down the details of what's happened in this
release. Could anyone help me by correcting or confirming the bracket
areas of text below:

Thanks, Michael

===BEGIN===
Squeak version 3.10 has just been released onto the servers at
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/ - the squeak.org downloads page will soon
be updated to point to this new version.

The goal of the 3.10 release was to improve the process of making
Squeak releases and to improve the quality of the code. The release
team concentrated on improving the coverage of unit tests, in making
Squeak more modular, and in getting rid of non-core and unsupported
code. In addition, many bugs were fixed. [According to mantis, 28 bugs
were fixed by 3.10 - is this right?]

Highlights were:
- Removal of non-core packages including eToys and Nebraska.
- Consistent use of Monticello to manage package dependencies.
- Package Universes for improved compatibility between packages.
- Bug policy requiring all fixes to include unit tests.
- All code under old licences has been identified, and
[all/much/some???] of it replaced.
[- Integration of the new OmniBrowser framework???]
[- Improved stability???]
[- Improved performance???]
[- Smaller memory usage???]
[- .....?????]

Thanks to the 3.10 release team including Ralph Johnson, Edgar De
Cleene, Matthew Fulmer, Craig Latta, [XXXX others?]. Their work has
given us an excellent release, and one which will be a great starting
point for eventual progress to 4.0!

For more information about this release, see:
[ Are there release notes? The best I can find is
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919 which is not great ]

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Vladimir Pogorelenko

Thanks José, I am been able to enter native text on Mac and I really
appreciate it. So now I see that it at least usable on Mac. And that
really makes changes...

Now I'm expiriencing minor (?) bug with it. It complies when entering
text.randomly somewhere in GrafPort#copyBitsColor... and
FreeTypeFont#displayLineGlyphOn: with "primitive has failed". May be
problem with FreeType. Did you meet a similar problem?

So if it works I don't know why it's not yet the part of squeak. Is it
a quick fix?

> Official and complete support for input and output in multiple
> languages (Unicode) in all major environments like Mac OS X, Windows,
> Linux.
>
> The attached cs does it, at least for spanish.
> Regards.
> <UnicodeInputSupport-jlrr.1.cs>

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Andrew Tween
Hi,

"Vladimir Pogorelenko" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
...snip...
>Now I'm expiriencing minor (?) bug with it. It complies when entering
>text.randomly somewhere in GrafPort#copyBitsColor... and
>FreeTypeFont#displayLineGlyphOn: with "primitive has failed". May be
>problem with FreeType. Did you meet a similar problem?

You need to install the modified bitblt plugin from here...
ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental/BitBltPlugin.v1.0.0b1.FreeTypePlus.bundle.zip

Cheers,
Andy

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] 3.10 final is out

ccrraaiigg

Hi Michael--

 > ...Thanks to the 3.10 release team including Ralph Johnson, Edgar De
 > Cleene, Matthew Fulmer, Craig Latta...

      I wasn't on the release team.

      thanks,

-C

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Philippe Marschall
2008/3/20, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> Early download at:
>
>  http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/Squeak3dot10.7159.zip
>
>  It's the same as gamma with the Welcome window texrt from Ralph.
>
>  Please people in charge of ftp site , move to appropriate place and
>  actualize squeak.org page.
>
>  In minutes I could be on IRC and Skype for start to exchange ideas for 3.11,
>  before next meeting on Monday 24 at 18:00 UTC.
>
>  Give us your view , participate with ideas, feedback, etc.

Is running the tests considered a safe operation? Are the tests
supposed to be green? A ran the tests and had several failures and
errors. Moreover the tests deleted the the contents of the directory
including several Seaside development images. I 'm kinda bored right
now.

Is it corrent that the new versions browser:
http://www.squeaksource.com/VersionsBrowser2.html
is missing?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Tapple Gao
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:40:13AM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Michael--
>
> > ...Thanks to the 3.10 release team including Ralph Johnson, Edgar De
> > Cleene, Matthew Fulmer, Craig Latta...
>
>      I wasn't on the release team.

Neither was I

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Igor Stasenko
i'm noticed that menu icons are drawn w/o antialiasing (or more
precisely without using alpha channel transparency info). So they
appear with rough shapes. It looks not fun.

I sent a screenshots comparable to previous version to Edgar. Don't
want to load mail list with images.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

El 3/20/08 12:59 PM, "José Luis Redrejo" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> 2008/3/20, Vladimir Pogorelenko <[hidden email]>:
>
>  20.03.2008, в 15:04, Edgar J. De Cleene написал(а):
>>
>>  ideas for 3.11,
>
>> Give us your view , participate with ideas, feedback, etc.
>

> Official and complete support for input and output in multiple
>  languages (Unicode) in all major environments like Mac OS X, Windows,
>  Linux.
>

> The attached cs does it, at least for spanish.
> Regards.

Gracias José, I take your request Vladimir.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 20, 2008, at 13:04 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Early download at:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/Squeak3dot10.7159.zip
>
> It's the same as gamma with the Welcome window texrt from Ralph.

Shouldn't a new sources file be made? I suspect reusing
SqueakV39.sources is going to ask for confusion.

- Bert -

El 3/20/08 1:55 PM, "Michael Davies" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>  Removal of non-core packages including eToys and Nebraska.
No removal of eToys and Nebraka in 3.10, was delayed for 3.11 for we wish
play safe, compatible and give time to Pavel.
For 3.11 I hope we go towards MinimalMorphic, if all agree and we could move
several packages out of Squeak.
And any could load again via Paqckage Universes.

> - Consistent use of Monticello to manage package dependencies.

Yes, all release was done using mocking .cs and doing Monticello packages in
3.10 repository.
Except in two cases, we could hit the updates button as in older releases,
but people also could download complete images if they like this way.
The lesson here is Monticello is not a good idea for a complete release.
Currently Matthew is working on DeltaStreams and Colin on Monticello 2, no
decision on which one we could use at this date.

>- Package Universes for improved compatibility between packages.
Yes and is working super. Building complex images is easier .
> - Bug policy requiring all fixes to include unit tests.
Yes, and the requirements means we have less as in previous releases,
German confirm this morning in IRC only two yellow tests from more of 2200
in Windows,
Test could give different on different OS.
I test all in Tiger OS X, Windows XP and Simply MEPIS 6.5 Linux.
> - All code under old licences has been identified, and
> [all/much/some???] of it replaced.
Not for 3.10. It's top priority for any future Squeak.
> - All code under old licences has been identified, and
> [all/much/some???] of it replaced.
We do a "base" image,
All tools could load later , via Universes or people could download
specialized images like Damiens dev image.
> [- Improved stability???]
Hard to say, people have the last word here, but no major troubles IMHO

> [- Improved performance???]
> [- Smaller memory usage???]
No big changes.
> Thanks to the 3.10 release team including Ralph Johnson, Edgar De
> Cleene, Matthew Fulmer, Craig Latta, [XXXX others?].

Many others work silent on Mantis. His names and contributions could be
learned in the History of 3.10 window.
I say some bug reports deserve showing to students how some bug was found,
discuss, fixes was suggested and test was done.
Mantis is a code vault for braves !
I have the 3.11 tentative ready, we could move several packages out safe now
and go to a 75% size of final size,
Also we could break Morphic in more easy to work packages

El 3/20/08 6:30 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Shouldn't a new sources file be made? I suspect reusing
> SqueakV39.sources is going to ask for confusion.
>
> - Bert -

Yes, but Ralph don't decide the alternatives we have and the new schema is
not full tested.

I could do a Squeak3dot10.sources if you think is best have new sources.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Randal L. Schwartz

Edgar> El 3/20/08 6:30 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>> Shouldn't a new sources file be made? I suspect reusing
>> SqueakV39.sources is going to ask for confusion.
>>
>> - Bert -

Edgar> I could do a Squeak3dot10.sources if you think is best have new sources.

Unless we *need* a new sources (as we did for 3.9), I'd suggest using the 3.9.
After all, the *next* release might be the first license-fixed release, and
then we *will* need a new sources file.  Having lots of different Sources
files doesn't make sense.

Just my opinion.  Not an official board position, although I think we can put
that on the next meeting's agenda.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Michael Davies-2
Thanks to Edgar, Craig and Matthew for the updates and corrections.
I'll get an article out tomorrow.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Stéphane Rollandin
Philippe Marschall a écrit :
> Is it corrent that the new versions browser:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VersionsBrowser2.html
> is missing?

I followed this link, to see what the new versions browser is about.
Arrived in a cryptic SqueakSource page, with no link to human readable
text, not even a sentence saying how to install the beast.

To me that's a common experience when looking a SqueakSource. It often
looks like if you do not know beforehand exactly what you are looking
for, it's very hard to figure out what the packages are and how to use them.

Am I missing something ?

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/20/08 4:09 PM, "Philippe Marschall" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Is running the tests considered a safe operation? Are the tests
> supposed to be green? A ran the tests and had several failures and
> errors. Moreover the tests deleted the the contents of the directory
> including several Seaside development images. I 'm kinda bored right
> now.

You could run the test.
You should do test for your own development.
When you get the test feeling, start to made test for untested things in
image and put on Mantis.
As Steph said, test,test, more test.

My old report to v3dot list for all

> On Mac: 2249 run, 2246 passes, 0 expected failures, 2 failures, 0 errors, 0
> unexpected passes
>
> #('DebuggerUnwindBug>>#testUnwindDebuggerWithStep'
> 'LocaleTest>>#testIsFontAvailable' )
>

> On Windows XP
> 2249 run, 2242 passes, 0 expected failures, 6 failures, 0 errors, 0 unexpected
> passes
> #('DebuggerUnwindBug>>#testUnwindDebuggerWithStep'
> 'LocaleTest>>#testIsFontAvailable'
> 'RenderBugz>>#testForward' 'RenderBugz>>#testHeading'
> 'StringSocketTestCase>>#testBogusInput1'
> 'StringSocketTestCase>>#testBogusInput2')
>
> On Linux (SimplyMepis 6.5) is same as Mac plus FileDirectoryTest>>testExists.
> (3 yellow)

I don't have deleting of files , but if you have this, made a Mantis report

Edgar

12