[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

12

[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Damien Cassou-3
Hi all,

last week, I published 2 polls (http://www.doodle.ch/5u67s53greapfdu6
and http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38) to help me know what you
want for the squeak-dev images. From these polls, I can conclude that:

- you are becoming more and more interested in 3.10
- you believe some beta tools are stable enough to include in all
images (Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved).

However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
3.9 based images. Maybe because there is the word 'beta' associated
with 3.10 based images on my webpage.

Here is my propositions for the future squeak-dev versions:

- include Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved in all images
- only base one image on top of 3.9 and update it less often. I still
haven't decided if this image will contain the web stuffs or not. Any
opinion?
- create 2 stable dev- and web- images based on 3.10
- create a beta 3.10 based dev-image. I plan to use Level Playing
Field and Packages to generate this image. I will also put Algernon,
the new Diff tools and other beta pakages in it.

Could you please give me your opinion on these choices? Do I have to
create another poll for something?

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Tapple Gao
On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:20:25AM +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> last week, I published 2 polls (http://www.doodle.ch/5u67s53greapfdu6
> and http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38) to help me know what you
> want for the squeak-dev images. From these polls, I can conclude that:
>
> - you are becoming more and more interested in 3.10
> - you believe some beta tools are stable enough to include in all
> images (Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved).
>
> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images. Maybe because there is the word 'beta' associated
> with 3.10 based images on my webpage.

I don't use the 3.10 beta images precicely because they include
UIEnhancements, which severely reduces the color contrast in
title bars and popup menus, and also eliminates the red border
around edited texts.

(and because OB is way too slow on an XO computer, but that's
another story)

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't use the 3.10 beta images precicely because they include
> UIEnhancements, which severely reduces the color contrast in
> title bars and popup menus, and also eliminates the red border
> around edited texts.

I would have appreciated answers to the polls when I posted them. Most
persons who answered would like to see UI Enhancements. Please now
vote if you don't like a package :
http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38. If other people agrees with
him, please say so in the polls.

> (and because OB is way too slow on an XO computer, but that's
> another story)

OB is the default browser in all squeak-dev images not just 3.10 ones.
I don't understand.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 09:20:25 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> last week, I published 2 polls (http://www.doodle.ch/5u67s53greapfdu6
> and http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38) to help me know what you
> want for the squeak-dev images. From these polls, I can conclude that:
>
> - you are becoming more and more interested in 3.10
> - you believe some beta tools are stable enough to include in all
> images (Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved).
>
> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images.

If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear in
the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the
WWW guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have no
technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual survey
participants. Have a tool?

> Maybe because there is the word 'beta' associated
> with 3.10 based images on my webpage.
>
> Here is my propositions for the future squeak-dev versions:
>
> - include Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved in all images
> - only base one image on top of 3.9 and update it less often. I still
> haven't decided if this image will contain the web stuffs or not. Any
> opinion?
> - create 2 stable dev- and web- images based on 3.10
> - create a beta 3.10 based dev-image. I plan to use Level Playing
> Field and Packages to generate this image. I will also put Algernon,
> the new Diff tools and other beta pakages in it.
>
> Could you please give me your opinion on these choices? Do I have to
> create another poll for something?

The way you have it is one series for GUI-ers and another for Web-ers; for
me this is convenient and I don't want more.

In order to address bleeding edge things (sorry for taking Algernon as
example) I propose to make a parallel line with *experimental* in the
name. Sounds better than beta.

> Thank you

Thank you for your good work! You help the always discriminated developer
subspecies !

/Klaus

[squeak-dev] Subcommunities and forks

Tapple Gao
On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:51:01AM +0200, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear in
> the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
> answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the
> WWW guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have no
> technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual survey
> participants. Have a tool?

This is very true. This community is trying to go many different
directions at once, but instead of give each subgroup a vehicle
to go further faster, we put them in one huge room (squeak.org).
This is why I think forks are very important for the community:
give each subgroup the perfect tool for their task. Want a lean
mean seaside developing machine? Pharo is the fork for you. Need
to have a great experience building presentations with squeak?
use etoys. Need to get a package as widely distributed as
possible? LPF can help with that. Wanna just see what's
available? FunSqueak is what you want.

That mostly leaves squeak.org with blue-plane researchers, who
mostly need a kernel image that they can build anything on.

Identifying sub-communities and giving them an optimized squeak
for their needs will help us stop bickering about what should or
should not be in the squeak.org release, because, really, there
is no image that will satisfy everybody. However, there are only
a dozen or so sub-communities striving to emerge, and each will
be quite happy with one or two images with the average of what
the members of that subcommunity want.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Damien Cassou-3
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
>> 3.9 based images.
>
> If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear in
> the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
> answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the WWW
> guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have no
> technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual survey
> participants. Have a tool?

Do you propose that I continue to listen to downloaders? This way, I
will generate event more images and it might confuse the downloaders
who are not subscribed to squeak-dev. I really don't know what to do.
This is why I asked people to answer the polls but only got 10 answers
when downloads are more than 600 only for last month...

> The way you have it is one series for GUI-ers and another for Web-ers; for
> me this is convenient and I don't want more.
>
> In order to address bleeding edge things (sorry for taking Algernon as
> example) I propose to make a parallel line with *experimental* in the name.
> Sounds better than beta.

Ok for "experimental".

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

[squeak-dev] Re: Subcommunities and forks

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:11:09 +0200, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:51:01AM +0200, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear
>> in
>> the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
>> answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the
>> WWW guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have
>> no
>> technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual
>> survey
>> participants. Have a tool?
>
> This is very true. This community is trying to go many different
> directions at once, but instead of give each subgroup a vehicle
> to go further faster, we put them in one huge room (squeak.org).
> This is why I think forks are very important for the community:
> give each subgroup the perfect tool for their task. Want a lean
> mean seaside developing machine? Pharo is the fork for you. Need
> to have a great experience building presentations with squeak?
> use etoys. Need to get a package as widely distributed as
> possible? LPF can help with that. Wanna just see what's
> available? FunSqueak is what you want.
>
> That mostly leaves squeak.org with blue-plane researchers, who
> mostly need a kernel image that they can build anything on.
>
> Identifying sub-communities and giving them an optimized squeak
> for their needs will help us stop bickering about what should or
> should not be in the squeak.org release, because, really, there
> is no image that will satisfy everybody. However, there are only
> a dozen or so sub-communities striving to emerge, and each will
> be quite happy with one or two images with the average of what
> the members of that subcommunity want.

I fully agree, thanks for this concise synopsis :) It looks like a start
for rethinking organization top-down [no offense].

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:12:25 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
>>> 3.9 based images.
>>
>> If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear
>> in
>> the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
>> answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the
>> WWW
>> guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have no
>> technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual
>> survey
>> participants. Have a tool?
>
> Do you propose that I continue to listen to downloaders? This way, I
> will generate event more images and it might confuse the downloaders
> who are not subscribed to squeak-dev. I really don't know what to do.

See suggestion below.

> This is why I asked people to answer the polls but only got 10 answers
> when downloads are more than 600 only for last month...

Okay, you asked. Put your survey on the individual download page and
"demand" answers (to, "please help make you a better service"), in return
of enabling the submit button. This is a blend of needs of both sides,
community and publisher. Then you can relate answers to downloader's needs.

>> The way you have it is one series for GUI-ers and another for Web-ers;
>> for
>> me this is convenient and I don't want more.
>>
>> In order to address bleeding edge things (sorry for taking Algernon as
>> example) I propose to make a parallel line with *experimental* in the
>> name.
>> Sounds better than beta.
>
> Ok for "experimental".

:)

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

cedreek

> Hi all,
>
> last week, I published 2 polls (http://www.doodle.ch/5u67s53greapfdu6
> and http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38) to help me know what you
> want for the squeak-dev images. From these polls, I can conclude that:
>
> - you are becoming more and more interested in 3.10
> - you believe some beta tools are stable enough to include in all
> images (Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved).

I like these 3, but this is true too that's a bit slow but I cope with
it. I just have problem with italic fonts (don't know if fixed in last
versions).

> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images. Maybe because there is the word 'beta' associated
> with 3.10 based images on my webpage.
>
> Here is my propositions for the future squeak-dev versions:
>
> - include Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved in all images
> - only base one image on top of 3.9 and update it less often. I still
> haven't decided if this image will contain the web stuffs or not. Any
> opinion?
> - create 2 stable dev- and web- images based on 3.10
> - create a beta 3.10 based dev-image. I plan to use Level Playing
> Field and Packages to generate this image. I will also put Algernon,
> the new Diff tools and other beta pakages in it.
I like the experimental idea.

It could also be squeak-dev-basic and squeak-dev-full where the later
is less performant but comes with several "beta" tools.

> Could you please give me your opinion on these choices? Do I have to
> create another poll for something?

I think the main effort must go for "squeak-dev-basic" with for
instance the test reports etc...
squeak-dev-full is a show-up, we can cope with little problems
(otherwise that won't be squeak ;) ). And I think that be nice to have
a script (Installer or whatever, that we can tweak) that transform a
basic in full.

> Thank you

Thanks a lot to you ;)

Cédrick

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, you asked. Put your survey on the individual download page and
> "demand" answers (to, "please help make you a better service"), in return of
> enabling the submit button. This is a blend of needs of both sides,
> community and publisher. Then you can relate answers to downloader's needs.

I don't want to force the users to answer :-). What do you think of
the new webpage? http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

[squeak-dev] Re: Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:12:49 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Klaus D. Witzel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Okay, you asked. Put your survey on the individual download page and
>> "demand" answers (to, "please help make you a better service"), in
>> return of
>> enabling the submit button. This is a blend of needs of both sides,
>> community and publisher. Then you can relate answers to downloader's
>> needs.
>
> I don't want to force the users to answer :-).

Fair :)

> What do you think of
> the new webpage? http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

The (click on the links to jump to the download pages) doesn't mean a
*page* ? Anyways:

Put atop the survey box: These images exist in 2 flavours, please help
make you a better service by answering these two polls before downloading.

Put below the survex box: Click on a link to activate/initiate/"your term
here" the download now.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Stan Shepherd
Damien Cassou-3 wrote
Here is my propositions for the future squeak-dev versions:

- include Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved in all images
- only base one image on top of 3.9 and update it less often. I still
haven't decided if this image will contain the web stuffs or not. Any
opinion?
- create 2 stable dev- and web- images based on 3.10
- create a beta 3.10 based dev-image. I plan to use Level Playing
Field and Packages to generate this image. I will also put Algernon,
the new Diff tools and other beta pakages in it.
 +1
Sounds good to me.
Please disregard what I said about the Essential code critics package in the poll; I think I've got to the same setup under 3.10.

Thanks a lot for your work on these images, they're great. And I'd like to help with testing if the community tries to make an 'all tests run green' version.

...Stan

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Damien Cassou-3
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The (click on the links to jump to the download pages) doesn't mean a *page*
> ?

I don't understand this.

What about http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html?

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:53:43 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> The (click on the links to jump to the download pages) doesn't mean a
>> *page*
>> ?
>
> I don't understand this.

Exactly, I do not understand the sentence in the (.)'s either. What
download *page* does your sentence in the (.)'s talk about, aren't we
already on the download page? I can see, on that page, only links to
downloadable .zip files which can impossibly be meant by your "download
pages" phrase?

>> Anyways:
>>
>> Put atop the survey box: These images exist in 2 flavours, please help
>> make
>> you a better service by answering these two polls before downloading.
>>
>> Put below the survex box: Click on a link to activate/initiate/"your
>> term
>> here" the download now.
>
> What about http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html?

This is exactly the one I am referring to, why/what do you ask me?

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Exactly, I do not understand the sentence in the (.)'s either. What download
> *page* does your sentence in the (.)'s talk about, aren't we already on the
> download page? I can see, on that page, only links to downloadable .zip
> files which can impossibly be meant by your "download pages" phrase?

Oh ok :-). It wass historical. It should now be fixed.

>> What about http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html?
>
> This is exactly the one I am referring to, why/what do you ask me?

To refresh the page and tell what you think about the changes.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:18:12 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> Exactly, I do not understand the sentence in the (.)'s either. What
>> download
>> *page* does your sentence in the (.)'s talk about, aren't we already on
>> the
>> download page? I can see, on that page, only links to downloadable .zip
>> files which can impossibly be meant by your "download pages" phrase?
>
> Oh ok :-). It wass historical. It should now be fixed.

Yes, so it is now :)

>>> What about http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html?
>>
>> This is exactly the one I am referring to, why/what do you ask me?
>
> To refresh the page and tell what you think about the changes.

Looks good :) I hope this brings you the feedback on the preferences of
the downloaders. But if it doesn't, do put force on them, you are the
publisher ;)

BTW, perhaps you want to put the above link into the ScriptManager's
welcome (for convenience), and ask for feedback there too.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, perhaps you want to put the above link into the ScriptManager's welcome
> (for convenience), and ask for feedback there too.

Do you think anybody reads it?

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:29:27 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> BTW, perhaps you want to put the above link into the ScriptManager's
>> welcome
>> (for convenience), and ask for feedback there too.
>
> Do you think anybody reads it?

Short answer: yes, anybody is traditionally responsible for reading
everything ;)

Long answer: make a second page "thank you for using the publication, etc,
here's new news, etc, subscribe here, etc, complain there, etc, you are
elite now, etc", put its link into the ScriptManager's welcome, then watch
the web server's access log.

I know this is at times too much effort for (rather small) organizations,
but it pays -- since *that* subcommunity is the most serious, they *use* a
copy of the publication and not just store the download :) and, silence on
this "post sales" channel would tell stories ;)

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:29:27 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, perhaps you want to put the above link into the ScriptManager's
>>> welcome
>>> (for convenience), and ask for feedback there too.
>>
>> Do you think anybody reads it?
>
> Short answer: yes, anybody is traditionally responsible for reading
> everything ;)
>
> Long answer: make a second page "thank you for using the publication, etc,
> here's new news, etc, subscribe here, etc, complain there, etc, you are
> elite now, etc", put its link into the ScriptManager's welcome, then watch
> the web server's access log.
>
> I know this is at times too much effort for (rather small) organizations,
> but it pays -- since *that* subcommunity is the most serious, they *use* a
> copy of the publication and not just store the download :) and, silence on
> this "post sales" channel would tell stories ;)

I plan to setup a new web site with pier.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

RE: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Ramon Leon-5
> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images.

Likely because they have apps deployed in 3.9 so they want to develop in
3.9.  Just because something new comes out, 3.10, doesn't mean it's going to
get used, there has to be a compelling reason to upgrade that overrides the
aversion to doing the work.

Even if 3.10 is just a bunch of bug fixes and an upgrade might entail
nothing more than changing images for production sites, that's still a risk
of breaking something that isn't currently broken.  There's also a bit of
stability that comes from running one version behind whatever the latest is.
Letting someone else shake out the kinks in the new stuff is more pragmatic
than making my customers do it.  Not everyone thinks newer is automatically
better.

You also have 3.9 listed as stable and 3.10 as experimental... Of course
people are going to download 3.9.  I also see nothing other than that listed
to try and move me to 3.10, so I'd say you need to tell me why I should be
using 3.10, and how it differs from 3.9 and how that will help me in some
way.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

12