[squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

12

[squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Janko Mivšek
Dear Squeakers,

As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to
show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and
things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:

        http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000

Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving
Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding more
dynamic content, etc etc.

I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Igor Stasenko
On 17/03/2008, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
>  As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
>  Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to
>  show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and
>  things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>
>         http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
>
>  Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>  tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>  things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving
>  Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>  improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding more
>  dynamic content, etc etc.
>
>  I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)

Looks great!
I didn't expected that transition can be so easy :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:57:04AM +0100, Janko Miv??ek wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
> Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to show,
> how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and things
> like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>
> http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
>
> Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic tree
> menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor things. In any
> case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving Squeak website is
> definitively possible and it will open further improvements on content,
> spreading authoring to more people, adding more dynamic content, etc etc.
>
> I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)

How would the website maintainers (like myself) use this?
Previously, I would login, edit the wiki using swiki syntax, and
save. How would we do this?

How did you port the website?

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Nicolas Petton

Le dimanche 16 mars 2008 à 17:38 -0700, Matthew Fulmer a écrit :

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:57:04AM +0100, Janko Miv??ek wrote:
> > Dear Squeakers,
> >
> > As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
> > Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to show,
> > how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and things
> > like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
> >
> > http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
> >
> > Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic tree
> > menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor things. In any
> > case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving Squeak website is
> > definitively possible and it will open further improvements on content,
> > spreading authoring to more people, adding more dynamic content, etc etc.
> >
> > I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>
> How would the website maintainers (like myself) use this?
> Previously, I would login, edit the wiki using swiki syntax, and
> save. How would we do this?
With Scribo it is almost the same, except that Scribo uses TinyMCE my
default (but wiki syntax is also available).

Cheers!

Nicolas
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Brian Rice

On Mar 16, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
> tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
> things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that
> moving Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open
> further improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people,
> adding more dynamic content, etc etc.
>
> I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)

Well, right now we have to take your word for it about your demo's
*behavior* since we can only see the content for now, not log in to
change it.

But yes, these promised properties sound helpful to whoever manages
the site's content, and this latter person/process still needs to be
decided.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Masashi UMEZAWA-2

Great! But I've also found a minor issue. In IE, right frame can not be seen.
(See the attached file).

But Aida/Scribo seems to be a quite productive CMS. I'm longing its release.

Best regards,

--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

squeakDemoSiteInIE.gif (35K) Download Attachment

On 17/03/2008, Masashi UMEZAWA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Great! But I've also found a minor issue. In IE, right frame can not be seen.
>  (See the attached file).

Same here.(IE 6.0)

P.S. you just made me notice, that i didn't used IE for a 2-3 months.
All time sitting under Windows almost every day.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi,

> Same here.(IE 6.0)
>
>  P.S. you just made me notice, that i didn't used IE for a 2-3 months.
>  All time sitting under Windows almost every day.

Yes. IE is also terrible here. I actually used "IE Tab" firefox plugin
to see the result.

Best regards,
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Rob Rothwell
If anyone is interested, it shows up fine in Apple's Safari browser for Windows...

Cheers!

Rob

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Masashi UMEZAWA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

> Same here.(IE 6.0)
>
>  P.S. you just made me notice, that i didn't used IE for a 2-3 months.
>  All time sitting under Windows almost every day.

Yes. IE is also terrible here. I actually used "IE Tab" firefox plugin
to see the result.

Best regards,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Jimmie Houchin-3
Brian Rice wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>> Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>> tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>> things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving
>> Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>> improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding
>> more dynamic content, etc etc.
>>
>> I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>
> Well, right now we have to take your word for it about your demo's
> *behavior* since we can only see the content for now, not log in to
> change it.

True, but why the antagonism? Why not take him at his word? Has he
violated your trust?

Jimmie

Why skepticism (was Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready)

Brian Rice

On Mar 16, 2008, at 7:19 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Brian Rice wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 16, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>>
>>> Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>>> tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>>> things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that
>>> moving
>>> Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>>> improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding
>>> more dynamic content, etc etc.
>>>
>>> I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>>
>> Well, right now we have to take your word for it about your demo's
>> *behavior* since we can only see the content for now, not log in to
>> change it.
>
> True, but why the antagonism? Why not take him at his word? Has he
> violated your trust?

Abstract answer:
Because it's his responsibility to justify the value of the ideas he
proposes to us as a community, not ours to accept his praise for his
own framework at face value. This is just as it is with any
responsible community situation.

Concrete answer:
Because our (the Squeak community's) actual core problem relates to
the gathering, updating, and maintaining of content, news, and
explanations for the website. He has enthusiasm for his own technical
effort to make future effort easier (which is fine), but we're losing
sight of what could be done *now*, without technological improvements.

In short, I wonder who could or will authorize me or someone similar
or small group of people to take care of the immediate content
problems while Janko works on something that will enable an easier
effort for that in the future? We seem eager to enthuse about
technical efforts and lazy to progress on social decisions.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com

[squeak-dev] re: Why skepticism

ccrraaiigg

Hi Brian--

 > In short, I wonder who could or will authorize me or someone similar
 > or small group of people to take care of the immediate content
 > problems while Janko works on something that will enable an easier
 > effort for that in the future?

      I'll bring this up at the first meeting of the new board on
2008-03-19.

      thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Philippe Marschall
There also seem to be some layout problems with Opera (See the attached file).

Cheers
Philippe

2008/3/17, Masashi UMEZAWA <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
>  Great! But I've also found a minor issue. In IE, right frame can not be seen.
>  (See the attached file).
>
>  But Aida/Scribo seems to be a quite productive CMS. I'm longing its release.
>
>  Best regards,
>
>  2008/3/17, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Dear Squeakers,
>  >
>  >  As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
>  >  Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to
>  >  show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and
>  >  things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>  >
>  >         http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
>  >
>  >  Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>  >  tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>  >  things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving
>  >  Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>  >  improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding more
>  >  dynamic content, etc etc.
>  >
>  >  I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>  >
>  >  Best regards
>  >  Janko
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  --
>  >  Janko Mivšek
>  >  AIDA/Web
>  >  Smalltalk Web Application Server
>  >  http://www.aidaweb.si
>  >
>  >
>
> --
>
> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

website.gif (96K) Download Attachment

[squeak-dev] Re: Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Klaus D. Witzel
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:48:32 +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> There also seem to be some layout problems with Opera (See the attached
> file).

Same here, with Opera 9.26 on XP.

> Cheers
> Philippe
>
> 2008/3/17, Masashi UMEZAWA <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  Great! But I've also found a minor issue. In IE, right frame can not
>> be seen.
>>  (See the attached file).
>>
>>  But Aida/Scribo seems to be a quite productive CMS. I'm longing its
>> release.
>>
>>  Best regards,
>>
>>  2008/3/17, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> > Dear Squeakers,
>>  >
>>  >  As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
>>  >  Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content
>>  >  show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design
>> and
>>  >  things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>>  >
>>  >         http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
>>  >
>>  >  Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>>  >  tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>>  >  things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that
>> moving
>>  >  Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>>  >  improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding
>> more
>>  >  dynamic content, etc etc.
>>  >
>>  >  I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>>  >
>>  >  Best regards
>>  >  Janko
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >  --
>>  >  Janko Mivšek
>>  >  AIDA/Web
>>  >  Smalltalk Web Application Server
>>  >  http://www.aidaweb.si
>>  >
>>  >
>>
>> --
>>
>> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [squeak-dev] re: Why skepticism

Brad Fuller-4
I didn't know there was an immediate content problem. Besides the
captcha, what are the content issues?

Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Great! But I've also found a minor issue. In IE, right frame can not be seen.
> (See the attached file).

I just look with IE6 by myself and really looks a disaster. While in IE7
works except images in download section (but those are not shown on
original site either). Although I copied CSS almost completely from
original one, it seems that somewhere is a catch. Welcome to CSS hell :)
This is also an example to not go blindly with CSS only design, with
DIVs everywhere, instead of usual HTML tables and lists where
appropriate. CSS is fine, but to the some extend only.

I'll look at this hell in the evening.

> But Aida/Scribo seems to be a quite productive CMS. I'm longing its release.

Thanks Masashi.

Best regards
JAnko

> Best regards,
>
> 2008/3/17, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>> Dear Squeakers,
>>
>>  As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
>>  Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to
>>  show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and
>>  things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>>
>>         http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
>>
>>  Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>>  tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>>  things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving
>>  Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>>  improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding more
>>  dynamic content, etc etc.
>>
>>  I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>>
>>  Best regards
>>  Janko
>>

>>  --
>>  Janko Mivšek
>>  AIDA/Web
>>  Smalltalk Web Application Server
>>  http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] re: Why skepticism

Karl-19
Brad Fuller wrote:
> I didn't know there was an immediate content problem. Besides the
> captcha, what are the content issues?

Build bundles for 3.9.1
Download should point to 3.9.1
3.10 is in also very soon done.

Karl

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:51 AM, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>  > I didn't know there was an immediate content problem. Besides the
>  > captcha, what are the content issues?
>  >
>  Build bundles for 3.9.1

We (the webteam) can point to the new MAC and WIN bundles once they
are available on the ftp site (http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/mac/ and
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/win/ and linux if need be)

>  Download should point to 3.9.1
>  3.10 is in also very soon done.

It's not a problem to point to the appropriate file when it's done.
Just let us know.

Is that the extent of the immediate content problems?

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Demo is now corrected to show (almost) correctly the content on all
browsers (tested on Linux FF, IE6, IE7). Few minor glitches (like
download box) later. And yes, download box squeak pictures are now shown
on IE.

Best regards
Janko

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:
>
>> Great! But I've also found a minor issue. In IE, right frame can not
>> be seen.
>> (See the attached file).
>
> I just look with IE6 by myself and really looks a disaster. While in IE7
> works except images in download section (but those are not shown on
> original site either). Although I copied CSS almost completely from
> original one, it seems that somewhere is a catch. Welcome to CSS hell :)
> This is also an example to not go blindly with CSS only design, with
> DIVs everywhere, instead of usual HTML tables and lists where
> appropriate. CSS is fine, but to the some extend only.
>
> I'll look at this hell in the evening.
>
>> But Aida/Scribo seems to be a quite productive CMS. I'm longing its
>> release.
>
> Thanks Masashi.
>
> Best regards
> JAnko
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> 2008/3/17, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>>> Dear Squeakers,
>>>
>>>  As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
>>>  Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to
>>>  show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and
>>>  things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>>>
>>>         http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
>>>
>>>  Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>>>  tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>>>  things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that moving
>>>  Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>>>  improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding
>>> more
>>>  dynamic content, etc etc.
>>>
>>>  I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>>>
>>>  Best regards
>>>  Janko
>>>

>>>  --
>>>  Janko Mivšek
>>>  AIDA/Web
>>>  Smalltalk Web Application Server
>>>  http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready

K. K. Subramaniam
On Monday 17 March 2008 5:27:04 am Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear Squeakers,
>
> As promised I prepared a demo of current Squeak website migrated to
> Aida/Scribo CMS. I migrated both design and first level of content to
> show, how flexible is Scribo in dealing with both different design and
> things like Url format in case of SmallWiki. You can see demo here:
>
> http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si:9000
Janko,

That was pretty quick, thank you.

validator.w3.org and jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator threw up a few errors in
HTML/CSS tags and URI encodings. If you plan to clean up HTML/CSS, you may
want to keep these in mind.

Subbu

12