[squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

123

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Bert Freudenberg
On Mar 5, 2008, at 16:42 , Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:17 +0100, cdrick wrote:
>> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent
>> :)... especially in a touch screen version
>> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q&feature=related only a
>> mod
>> for windows right now but should be in production for newer version).
>>
>> Cédrick
>>
> Ok, than the project would be to write a software layer which enables
> us to use linux device drivers. Without utilizing devices even squeak
> is not much fun :)

Actually, writing device drivers is not that hard if you know the
hardware. The XO contains drivers for all its hardware in its
firmware (OFW, written in Forth), and rumor has it that no driver is
larger than 2 pages.

Besides, SqueakNOS already has drivers for a variety of PC hardware.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Colin Putney
On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:04 PM, giovanni wrote:

>  Damien
> has stopped working on Monticello 2, but Colin has remused the work
> on that,
> even though he's not using Damien's code.

On 5-Mar-08, at 1:30 AM, stephane ducasse replied:

> Now for damien I mentored damien in the hope that colin would join
> and take the lead with the goal to
> really get an impact and improve MC2.

Just to set the record straight, I am using quite a bit of Damien's
code, just not all of it.

When I resumed work on MC2, I had a new idea for how to organized the
interface and present things to the user. Damien's work went in a
different direction, so merged in as much of his stuff as I could, and
set aside the parts that were incompatible with my own direction.

I think Damien did a fine job, and made a significant contribution to
the project.

Colin

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:50 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2008, at 16:42 , Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:17 +0100, cdrick wrote:
> >> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent
> >> :)... especially in a touch screen version
> >> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q&feature=related only a
> >> mod
> >> for windows right now but should be in production for newer version).
> >>
> >> Cédrick
> >>
> > Ok, than the project would be to write a software layer which enables
> > us to use linux device drivers. Without utilizing devices even squeak
> > is not much fun :)
>
> Actually, writing device drivers is not that hard if you know the
> hardware. The XO contains drivers for all its hardware in its
> firmware (OFW, written in Forth), and rumor has it that no driver is
> larger than 2 pages.

I don't want to write device drivers, I want to use devices. I'm not
working with dedicated hardware like the XO. Most of the time I collect
old hardware and turn it into some project. The amount of drivers you
would have to write to do the job is tremendous.
Or to say it in other words: I want to use squeak on the hardware I
can get. I don't want to buy the right hardware in order to be able to
run squeak ;)

And if no device driver for the XO is larger than two pages the devices
in the XO are simple. Very good!

> Besides, SqueakNOS already has drivers for a variety of PC hardware.

I'll have a look at it once more.

Norbert

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2008, at 16:17 , cdrick wrote:
>
> > in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent :)
>
> Or for the OLPC XO? :)

That is on my to-do list, but it would be better if someone else does it
first. Though I am a student again I don't have time to participate in
the SOC (specially since it will be winter here, with just a short
vacation). Another issue is that something that works on my old BTest-2
machine would have some problems on newer models.

-- Jecel

On Mar 5, 2008, at 18:10 , Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2008, at 16:17 , cdrick wrote:
>>
>>> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be
>>> excellent :)
>>
>> Or for the OLPC XO? :)
>
> That is on my to-do list, but it would be better if someone else
> does it
> first. Though I am a student again I don't have time to participate in
> the SOC (specially since it will be winter here, with just a short
> vacation). Another issue is that something that works on my old
> BTest-2
> machine would have some problems on newer models.

Well, if it performs acceptable on the B2, it will fly on the
production machines :)

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Kevin Driedger-3
I'm excited that this work will help in the porting to the iPhone.

--
]{evin ])riedger
http://extremedesigners.ca

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Karl-19
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2008, at 18:10 , Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Or for the OLPC XO? :)
>>
>> That is on my to-do list, but it would be better if someone else does it
>> first. Though I am a student again I don't have time to participate in
>> the SOC (specially since it will be winter here, with just a short
>> vacation). Another issue is that something that works on my old BTest-2
>> machine would have some problems on newer models.
>
> Well, if it performs acceptable on the B2, it will fly on the
> production machines :)
>
> - Bert -

SqueakNOS would be cool on the XO indeed as the only thing I really use
is Etoys, the Sugar and Linux stuff is a black void of hard to use stuff :-)

Well, a goos web browser and eBook reader would be nice to have...

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Karl-19
One ting I often miss in Squeak is a top level browser for SqueakSource
repositories. Maybe that would be a nice little project for someone.

Karl

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Well, if it performs acceptable on the B2, it will fly on the
> production machines :)

In terms of performance, it should be very close to what the included
eToys achieve now on the two machines, so we can even run some
benchmarks and have an idea of what the improvement would be. Note that
the extra memory wouldn't help since even 128MB is far more RAM than
this system would need.

A B2 version of SqueakNOS might not run correctly on newer models due to
hardware differences (Geode NX vs GX, camera interface and other
changes). But it would be easy to make any necessary changes.

For the initial port, I was thinking of a "proof of concept" where the
graphics code would be patched to work at 1200x900 instead of 1024x768
and the rest would be unchanged. If the keyboard and mouse work (and
they probably would) then this would already allow some interesting
demos. None of the rest of the hardware would work.

The milestone that would move SqueakNOS from a cute demo to a practical
alternative is being able to save an image. The project stalled before
that was achieved. Everything that needs to be devoloped can be done at
the Smalltalk level - you don't need any changes to the VM after it is
basically working. But without being able to save you are limited to a
painful cross development cycle: see some bug or improvement, make
change, test it, go back to the PC, type the change once again, save the
image, create a new bootable disk, boot the XO again and see if the
change was properly incorporated. It would be much nicer (and make the
difference between the project actually moving forward or staying as it
is now) to: see some bug or improvement, make change, test it and save
image.

The gain in productivity would be comparable to OLPC moving from the
cross development with LinuxBIOS to native development with
OpenFirmware. Behold, the power of the interactive prompt!

The internal Flash should be off limits, for now. So saving images means
either a USB drive (very complex drivers), using the wifi network (very
complex drivers in addition to USB and a TCP/IP stack) or a SD card
(most likely the simplest option). I would start out with multiple raw
partitions to get as quickly as possible to the point of native
development and then would code a FAT file system using that, eventually
moving to saving on regular files.

After that things should move much faster, and it would be possible to
add the camera, USB and the most popular types of devices, the internal
wifi and so on.

-- Jecel

[squeak-dev] SqueakNOS on XO (was Re: Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas)

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 5, 2008, at 22:29 , Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Well, if it performs acceptable on the B2, it will fly on the
>> production machines :)
>
> In terms of performance, it should be very close to what the included
> eToys achieve now on the two machines, so we can even run some
> benchmarks and have an idea of what the improvement would be. Note
> that
> the extra memory wouldn't help since even 128MB is far more RAM than
> this system would need.
>
> A B2 version of SqueakNOS might not run correctly on newer models
> due to
> hardware differences (Geode NX vs GX, camera interface and other
> changes). But it would be easy to make any necessary changes.
>
> For the initial port, I was thinking of a "proof of concept" where the
> graphics code would be patched to work at 1200x900 instead of 1024x768
> and the rest would be unchanged. If the keyboard and mouse work (and
> they probably would) then this would already allow some interesting
> demos. None of the rest of the hardware would work.
>
> The milestone that would move SqueakNOS from a cute demo to a
> practical
> alternative is being able to save an image. The project stalled before
> that was achieved. Everything that needs to be devoloped can be
> done at
> the Smalltalk level - you don't need any changes to the VM after it is
> basically working. But without being able to save you are limited to a
> painful cross development cycle: see some bug or improvement, make
> change, test it, go back to the PC, type the change once again,
> save the
> image, create a new bootable disk, boot the XO again and see if the
> change was properly incorporated. It would be much nicer (and make the
> difference between the project actually moving forward or staying
> as it
> is now) to: see some bug or improvement, make change, test it and save
> image.
>
> The gain in productivity would be comparable to OLPC moving from the
> cross development with LinuxBIOS to native development with
> OpenFirmware. Behold, the power of the interactive prompt!
>
> The internal Flash should be off limits, for now. So saving images
> means
> either a USB drive (very complex drivers), using the wifi network
> (very
> complex drivers in addition to USB and a TCP/IP stack) or a SD card
> (most likely the simplest option). I would start out with multiple raw
> partitions to get as quickly as possible to the point of native
> development and then would code a FAT file system using that,
> eventually
> moving to saving on regular files.
>
> After that things should move much faster, and it would be possible to
> add the camera, USB and the most popular types of devices, the
> internal
> wifi and so on.

Well, I actually would cheat a bit (if you would call it cheating).
OFW has all the drivers (including touchpad, keyboard, NAND, USB
drives, filesystems, Wifi, TCP/IP, Camera), and exposes them to the
OS. So you only need one little simple driver to access the OFW
device tree, and you should be good.

Some friends at the U of Magdeburg experimented with Squeak in Linux
framebuffer mode (no X11), and found that it performs worse. That's
because the X11 driver uses Geode-specific accelerations - these
might be worth to access natively.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Giovanni Corriga
Klaus D. Witzel ha scritto:

> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:04:21 +0100, giovanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in no more than two weeks, the 2008 edition of the Google Summer of
>> Code will
>> start.
>> ... In
>> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:

>> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger
>> possibility of being included in the software we release (the main
>> Squeak image, Seaside, Croquet etc).
>
> I doubt that can be decided in advance, i.e. before a SoC project
> delivers. Also, applicants who aim more for a package based on Squeak
> than for an integral part of a Squeak release are unfortunately shyed away.
>
> Are there really such an overwhelming number of applicants and, do most
> of them propose compilers, dev tools, SCM tools, image shrink-dryers,
> modularizators, traitisizers, bang-new-UIs and the like?

Hi Klaus,

I don't mean that all the projects must be oriented toward inclusion in
the Squeak image, such as compilers etc. What I'd like is having
projects that can possibly be delivered in little more than two months
of work, and that in case may have a good possibility to be included.
The problem with some of last year's project was that the scope was so
wide that it was very difficult for the student to deliver more than
some kind of prototype.

        Giovanni

Andreas Raab ha scritto:
> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
>> Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional package.
>
> Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
> ends up "in the next Squeak release"? Is this a requirement for GSOC? I
> certainly don't see the HydraTools ever getting into a Squeak release
> but that doesn't make them any less useful for Squeak.

As I said in my reply to Klaus, there's no need for the projects to be
geared toward inclusion in the next Squeak release. It's just that I'd
like for our students to be able to deliver something at the end of the
Summer.

        Giovanni

Andreas Raab ha scritto:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

>>> Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
>>> ends up "in the next Squeak release"?
>>
>> Well, hum, I was the one who doubted that? ;-)
>
> Well, not only. Giovanni explicitly stated that as a "negative
> observation" and I really fail to see what is negative about it. More
> like practical reality given that we're talking about students who are
> (hopefully) doing this to learn something. If it's got a useful outcome
> that's great but the baseline assumption should be that it *won't* end
> up in a Squeak release.

The alternative is having project with limited scope such that even a
student, if (s)he works hard, can finish them during the Summer of Code.
So for example a good project could be "write a bytecode-to-source
decompiler", and not "build a complete compiler"

        Giovanni

Tansel ha scritto:
> I have a couple of ideas for Summer of code projects, I don't know how
> relevant they are but they are useful projects for people who are interested
> in rnning Squeak on small devices.

Tansel,

they look good. Have you added them to the list?

        Giovanni

stephane ducasse ha scritto:
> Hi giovanni
>
> I'm not sure that this should be a strong requirements.
> Creating wealth for the community is also important.

Sure, but I feel there's more wealth in small, down-to-earth and working
projects than reach-for-the-sky, barely working prototypes.

        Giovanni

cdrick ha scritto:
> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent
> :)... especially in a touch screen version
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q&feature=related only a mod
> for windows right now but should be in production for newer version).

Looks cool!

Now what would be needed for this is a mentor...

        Giovanni

RE: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Tansel Ersavas
Not without getting some feedback first. I guess I can now.

Tansel

Colin Putney ha scritto:

> On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:04 PM, giovanni wrote:
>
>>  Damien
>> has stopped working on Monticello 2, but Colin has remused the work on
>> that,
>> even though he's not using Damien's code.
>
> On 5-Mar-08, at 1:30 AM, stephane ducasse replied:
>
>> Now for damien I mentored damien in the hope that colin would join and
>> take the lead with the goal to
>> really get an impact and improve MC2.
>
> Just to set the record straight, I am using quite a bit of Damien's
> code, just not all of it.
>
> When I resumed work on MC2, I had a new idea for how to organized the
> interface and present things to the user. Damien's work went in a
> different direction, so merged in as much of his stuff as I could, and
> set aside the parts that were incompatible with my own direction.
>
> I think Damien did a fine job, and made a significant contribution to
> the project.

Good! My apologies for getting this wrong.

        Giovanni

karl ha scritto:
> One ting I often miss in Squeak is a top level browser for SqueakSource
> repositories. Maybe that would be a nice little project for someone.

Are you volunteering to mentor such a project?

        Giovanni

[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Klaus D. Witzel
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 02:22:07 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> Andreas Raab ha scritto:
>> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
>>> Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional
>>> package.
>>  Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
>> ends up "in the next Squeak release"? Is this a requirement for GSOC? I
>> certainly don't see the HydraTools ever getting into a Squeak release
>> but that doesn't make them any less useful for Squeak.
>
> As I said in my reply to Klaus, there's no need for the projects to be
> geared toward inclusion in the next Squeak release. It's just that I'd
> like for our students to be able to deliver something at the end of the
> Summer.

This *is* a good point and I would really like to be in favor of such
policy. But I cannot since reality dictates something else. Let me mention
the Delta Stream project as an example, its sheer complexity makes such an
enterprise look like it has several ends [pun not intended] but it is
nevertheless possible for a summer coder to make a significant
contribution to DS without also making DS usable for the masses on the
next day, no?

Same goes for Cedrick's project suggestion, please don't expect that he
will create *the* AI by that; all he wants is a port to Squeak Seaside for
multi users (thereby enabling any form of persistency that users can
afford BTW), instead of the current plain Java desktop. Thousands of other
people will be able to do the "remainder" with Cedrick's base work,
perhaps in the next SoC? This kind of policy *must* be possible, unless we
want only gray-bearded experts to apply to autumn-of-life-long-coding
projects.

Think small, keep it open (= always unfinshed *and* always [re-]usable, as
in Smalltalk) and do great things?

/Klaus

> Giovanni

123