[squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

123

[squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Giovanni Corriga
Hi all,

in no more than two weeks, the 2008 edition of the Google Summer of Code will
start. It has been brought to my attention that I never sent a final report
for last year's edition, so here it is.

Last year we partecipated in the Summer of Code with five students: Damien
Cassou, Mathieu Suen, Jerome Chaveau, Ben Schroeder, and Oleg Korsak. You can
learn more about their projects by visiting the Summer of Squeak blog, at
http://blog.summer.squeak.org/ . All the five students completed their
projects, and were paid in full by Google. Of the five projects, only one
(the New Compiler project by Mathieu Suen) is still being worked on. Damien
has stopped working on Monticello 2, but Colin has remused the work on that,
even though he's not using Damien's code. I have no news about the other
three projects. Guys, would you mind sending a quick status report?

For their effort, we received 2500 USD, which are currently in my current
account. My apologies for not having sent them to Esug yet, but the cheque
from Google arrived while I was moving to London, so after putting it into my
account, I kinda set it aside. I'll wire the money to the Esug treasurer
asap.

To sum up, here are the positives and negatives for last year's SoC:

Positives
- Five students got to be paid for their work, and we got paid for mentoring
them, too.
- We got lots of visibility

Negatives
- None of the projects, except one, are still being worked on
- With the possible exception of the new compiler project, the SoC projects
did not have any impact on the main Squeak image.

This brings us to the other part of my message, which is the 2008 edition of
the Summer of Code. Unless the board decides otherwise, I'm willing to lead
the SoC team to apply and possibly partecipate in this year's SoC. In
comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:

- we apply as "Squeak Foundation" instead of simply "Squeak". This would
allow us to include other projects such as Seaside, Croquet etc more easily.
- we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger possibility of
being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image, Seaside,
Croquet etc).

There are also some more modifications which I'll propose on the SoC mailing
list.

As usual, comments and flames are welcome.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

EstebanLM
Hi Giovanni,
Whats the meaning of "None of the projects, except one, are still being
worked on"? the projects were left or it is not nothing else necessary
to do? (I really does not beleive the last one, but it is always
possible)
Anyway... is there a place to propose or discuss 2008 projects? as I
said in #squeak, I want to apply for mentor in a project to make a
OpenDBX plugin, to be used in squeak plain or with Glorp (I have the
student who is going to make the plugin to :) ).

Thanks,
Esteban

On 2008-03-02 20:04:21 -0200, "giovanni" <[hidden email]> said:

> Hi all,
>
> in no more than two weeks, the 2008 edition of the Google Summer of Code will
> start. It has been brought to my attention that I never sent a final report
> for last year's edition, so here it is.
>
> Last year we partecipated in the Summer of Code with five students: Damien
> Cassou, Mathieu Suen, Jerome Chaveau, Ben Schroeder, and Oleg Korsak. You can
> learn more about their projects by visiting the Summer of Squeak blog, at
> http://blog.summer.squeak.org/ . All the five students completed their
> projects, and were paid in full by Google. Of the five projects, only one
> (the New Compiler project by Mathieu Suen) is still being worked on. Damien
> has stopped working on Monticello 2, but Colin has remused the work on that,
> even though he's not using Damien's code. I have no news about the other
> three projects. Guys, would you mind sending a quick status report?
>
> For their effort, we received 2500 USD, which are currently in my current
> account. My apologies for not having sent them to Esug yet, but the cheque
> from Google arrived while I was moving to London, so after putting it into my
> account, I kinda set it aside. I'll wire the money to the Esug treasurer
> asap.
>
> To sum up, here are the positives and negatives for last year's SoC:
>
> Positives
> - Five students got to be paid for their work, and we got paid for mentoring
> them, too.
> - We got lots of visibility
>
> Negatives
> - None of the projects, except one, are still being worked on
> - With the possible exception of the new compiler project, the SoC projects
> did not have any impact on the main Squeak image.
>
> This brings us to the other part of my message, which is the 2008 edition of
> the Summer of Code. Unless the board decides otherwise, I'm willing to lead
> the SoC team to apply and possibly partecipate in this year's SoC. In
> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:
>
> - we apply as "Squeak Foundation" instead of simply "Squeak". This would
> allow us to include other projects such as Seaside, Croquet etc more easily.
> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger possibility of
> being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image, Seaside,
> Croquet etc).
>
> There are also some more modifications which I'll propose on the SoC mailing
> list.
>
> As usual, comments and flames are welcome.
>
>         Ciao,
>
>                 Giovanni

[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

ccrraaiigg

Hi Giovanni--

 > In comparison to last year's effort, I propose... we apply as "Squeak
 > Foundation" instead of simply "Squeak".

      For what it's worth, please note that if we gain membership in the
Software Freedom Conservancy, we will be "the Squeak project, a member
project of the Software Freedom Conservancy", and not a Foundation in
our own right. The latter implies independent incorporation and
tax-exempt status, which we will not have.

      thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: [squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Damien Cassou-3

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM, giovanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  (the New Compiler project by Mathieu Suen) is still being worked on. Damien
>  has stopped working on Monticello 2, but Colin has remused the work on that,
>  even though he's not using Damien's code. I have no news about the other
>  three projects. Guys, would you mind sending a quick status report?

I think you misunderstood something. Look at commits from
Monticello2-cwp.178 to 186 in source.wiresong.ca/mc and you will see
that Colin did use part of what I did.

Damien Cassou

--- "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM, giovanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  (the New Compiler project by Mathieu Suen) is still being worked on.
> Damien
> >  has stopped working on Monticello 2, but Colin has remused the work on
> that,
> >  even though he's not using Damien's code. I have no news about the other
> >  three projects. Guys, would you mind sending a quick status report?
>

> I think you misunderstood something. Look at commits from
> Monticello2-cwp.178 to 186 in source.wiresong.ca/mc and you will see
> that Colin did use part of what I did.

Even better!

        Giovanni

[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:04:21 +0100, giovanni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in no more than two weeks, the 2008 edition of the Google Summer of Code
> will
> start.
> ... In
> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:

> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger possibility
> of being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image,
> Seaside, Croquet etc).

I doubt that can be decided in advance, i.e. before a SoC project
delivers. Also, applicants who aim more for a package based on Squeak than
for an integral part of a Squeak release are unfortunately shyed away.

Are there really such an overwhelming number of applicants and, do most of
them propose compilers, dev tools, SCM tools, image shrink-dryers,
modularizators, traitisizers, bang-new-UIs and the like?

/Klaus

> There are also some more modifications which I'll propose on the SoC
> mailing
> list.
>
> As usual, comments and flames are welcome.
>
>         Ciao,
>
>                 Giovanni

Re: [squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

stephane ducasse
I like your vision.
Yes I would like to have really simpler projects with concrete impact.
        - improving the shadowing report in the compiler
        - improving code formatting
        - GTK support (a smart student here would like to work on that).

On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:04 PM, giovanni wrote:

> [...]
> the SoC team to apply and possibly partecipate in this year's SoC. In
> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:
>
> - we apply as "Squeak Foundation" instead of simply "Squeak". This
> would
> allow us to include other projects such as Seaside, Croquet etc more
> easily.
> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger
> possibility of
> being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image,
> Seaside,
> Croquet etc).
>
> There are also some more modifications which I'll propose on the SoC
> mailing
> list.
>
> As usual, comments and flames are welcome.
>
>        Ciao,
>
>                Giovanni

[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Stephane,
I was thinking the same way about GTK, ... that would be very useful
for our community
I think we should be able to continue the squeak gtk effort, but with a
diferent approach: we don't have to pursuit the replacement of morphic
with a complete set of tools GTK-maded, but to provide a way to make
GTK interfaces, and keeping the development stage in current way (I
know, thats the same path who follows mvc-morphic, but is a start)

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:55:26 +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:

> I like your vision.
> Yes I would like to have really simpler projects with concrete impact.
> - improving the shadowing report in the compiler
> - improving code formatting
> - GTK support (a smart student here would like to work on that).

I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional package.

/Klaus

> [...]
>> the SoC team to apply and possibly partecipate in this year's SoC. In
>> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:
>>
>> - we apply as "Squeak Foundation" instead of simply "Squeak". This would
>> allow us to include other projects such as Seaside, Croquet etc more
>> easily.
>> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger
>> possibility of
>> being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image,
>> Seaside,
>> Croquet etc).
>>
>> There are also some more modifications which I'll propose on the SoC
>> mailing
>> list.
>>
>> As usual, comments and flames are welcome.
>>
>>        Ciao,
>>
>>                Giovanni

[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Andreas.Raab
Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
> Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional package.

Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
ends up "in the next Squeak release"? Is this a requirement for GSOC? I
certainly don't see the HydraTools ever getting into a Squeak release
but that doesn't make them any less useful for Squeak.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 00:38:37 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
>> Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional
>> package.
>
> Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
> ends up "in the next Squeak release"?

Well, hum, I was the one who doubted that? ;-)

> Is this a requirement for GSOC?

Tried to find such on Google's site but it didn't say anything which is
related. Perhaps somebody found something else?

> I certainly don't see the HydraTools ever getting into a Squeakrelease
> but that doesn't make them any less useful for Squeak.

That's my point. Moreover, an applicant asked for help with Squeak+SoC and
all that I could respond until now was, that people in the Squeak
community want SoC results in the Squeak release and so: better go away
with your non-Squeak release related project.

/Klaus

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 00:38:37 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
>>> Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional
>>> package.
>>
>> Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
>> ends up "in the next Squeak release"?
>
> Well, hum, I was the one who doubted that? ;-)

Well, not only. Giovanni explicitly stated that as a "negative
observation" and I really fail to see what is negative about it. More
like practical reality given that we're talking about students who are
(hopefully) doing this to learn something. If it's got a useful outcome
that's great but the baseline assumption should be that it *won't* end
up in a Squeak release.

>> I certainly don't see the HydraTools ever getting into a Squeakrelease
>> but that doesn't make them any less useful for Squeak.
>
> That's my point. Moreover, an applicant asked for help with Squeak+SoC
> and all that I could respond until now was, that people in the Squeak
> community want SoC results in the Squeak release and so: better go away
> with your non-Squeak release related project.

I see. In this case we absolutely agree ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

[squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Tansel Ersavas
I have a couple of ideas for Summer of code projects, I don't know how
relevant they are but they are useful projects for people who are interested
in rnning Squeak on small devices.

One is porting Squeak natively to and/or making it work efficiently on
Chumby.

http://www.chumby.com

Chumby is interesting in a way that it is very hackable both in hardware and
software terms.

Duane Maxwell of Exobox fame is one of the "Chumbians" and I think there is
an initial port of Squeak to Chumby but I don't know how usable that port
is. There seems to be no direct downloadable.

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Squeak

I guess the best person to mentor such a project would be Tim if he has any
time and interest in mentoring such a project and/or he'd know the next best
person to mentor it.

Another project that could be useful would be to harvest the minimal UI in
an image I did about 8 years ago and released last year to the public. This
UI is very minimal and doesn't require MVC or Morphic, yet it could look
great and can do a lot. It ran comfortably on machines with 8MB memory. Such
a UI would be relevant to use in devices such as Chumby and Pablo Oliveira's
Nintendo DS port (BTW great work Pablo!). It also has a crude Squeak based
virtual keyboard hack which could be enhanced a great deal or redone in a
better way. We also have a use for such a UI in some embedded work we are
doing.

I could mentor this project.

The PDA demo resides at:

http://www.squeakonline.com/downloads/cedemo.zip

Tansel

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 03:18 +0200, Tansel wrote:

> I have a couple of ideas for Summer of code projects, I don't know how
> relevant they are but they are useful projects for people who are interested
> in rnning Squeak on small devices.
>
> One is porting Squeak natively to and/or making it work efficiently on
> Chumby.
>
> http://www.chumby.com
>
> Chumby is interesting in a way that it is very hackable both in hardware and
> software terms.

Very good. It would be wonderful to have a good support for the
most prominent arm cores. There are a lot of nice devices which
have an arm core. The openmoko phone (FIC 1973) [1] and the Nokia
N810 [2] are just two of them. And they all feature a touchscreen.
I'm not sure if the chumby is based on openembedded [3] but it looks
like. So chumby and openmoko are both based on openembedded.
There is also a openembedded support for maemo [4]  which tries
leverage the barrier to develop for it [5].

The native porting initiative could care about integrating to
build of squeak into openembedded. Tony Garnock-Jones has done
this [6] for the openmoko phone.
I don't know what interfaces exist in squeak to have access to
a touchscreen. A way to go could be to enable support for tslib
[7]

And, of course, I would like to have a calibration software for
my wiimote in squeak [8] :)

Norbert

[1] http://www.openmoko.com/ and http://www.openmoko.org
[2] http://www.nokia.co.uk/N810
[3] http://www.openembedded.org/
[4] http://maemo.org/
[5] http://dev.openbossa.org/trac/mamona/
[6] http://www.lshift.net/blog/2007/08/23/squeak-and-openembedded
[7] http://tslib.berlios.de/
[8] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

stephane ducasse
Why do you say that?
I think that it is difficult to get either a project that can be
directly included or of a size that a student can really finish.
Look at mathieu: he worked hard on the compiler during the summertalk
and google project and fixed a lot of
problems to the point that the new compiler is getting usable (error
handling, decompilation...)
Now for damien I mentored damien in the hope that colin would join and
take the lead with the goal to
really get an impact and improve MC2.

Stef

On Mar 5, 2008, at 12:07 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> [...]
>>> willing to lead
>>> the SoC team to apply and possibly partecipate in this year's SoC.
>>> In
>>> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:
>>>
>>> - we apply as "Squeak Foundation" instead of simply "Squeak". This
>>> would
>>> allow us to include other projects such as Seaside, Croquet etc
>>> more easily.
>>> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger
>>> possibility of
>>> being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image,
>>> Seaside,
>>> Croquet etc).
>>>
>>> There are also some more modifications which I'll propose on the
>>> SoC mailing
>>> list.
>>>
>>> As usual, comments and flames are welcome.

[squeak-dev] Cross-compiling Squeak

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 5, 2008, at 1:51 , Pablo Oliveira wrote:

> I've ported the Squeak VM to the Nintendo DS.
>
> http://www.sifflez.org/squeak_nds/

Interesting - would be nice if someone could modify the VM build
system to support cross-compiling out-of-the-box, without need to
hack up the make/autoconf files.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

stephane ducasse
Hi giovanni

I'm not sure that this should be a strong requirements.
Creating wealth for the community is also important.

Stef

On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:04 PM, giovanni wrote:

> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger
> possibility of
> being included in the software we release (the main Squeak image,
> Seaside,
> Croquet etc).

Re: [squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

cedreek
in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent
:)... especially in a touch screen version
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q&feature=related only a mod
for windows right now but should be in production for newer version).

Cédrick

On Mar 5, 2008, at 16:17 , cdrick wrote:

> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent :)

Or for the OLPC XO? :)

- Bert -

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:17 +0100, cdrick wrote:
> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent
> :)... especially in a touch screen version
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q&feature=related only a mod
> for windows right now but should be in production for newer version).
>
> Cédrick

Ok, than the project would be to write a software layer which enables
us to use linux device drivers. Without utilizing devices even squeak
is not much fun :)

Norbert