[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

123456 ... 10

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo

Stéphane Rollandin
> Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea,
> doesn't that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already
> forked, Etoys can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

seems even more logical to me, indeed.

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28.06.2009, at 20:53, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

"Colin" == Colin Putney <[hidden email]> writes:

Colin> IMHO, Squeak.org needs to either recommit to Etoys and education as its
Colin> primary mission, or break compatibility and become a general Smalltalk
Colin> platform for a variety of applications. This suggests a merger with
Colin> either Squeakland or Pharo, but even without merging, Squeak.org can
Colin> get its mojo back if it chooses an identity.

At this point, I'd be leaning back towards squeak central reintegrating Pharo,
given that Etoys already forked.

Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea, doesn't that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already forked, Etoys can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

Yes, but in my opinion, Etoys is too much "specific". Etoys is excellent, for what it is. But I don't think Squeak must be toys specific. It must be a good object oriented platform to build applications. Any of them: toys, enterprise, research, etc...

I think in this way, Pharo is much more "generic" than Etoys. Something more similar to Squeak.

Cheers,

Mariano

- Bert -

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Sq font rendering [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

bpi
Hey, this looks great! Care to explain more about what you are working
on? What are your goals? I really like the fact that it is loadable
into three of the forks. ;-)

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 28.06.2009 um 20:54 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:28:50 +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> And don't get me "but we need it for fonts". The only way to get nice
>> fonts in Squeak is to avoid it and do it in C with char*.
>
> Can you see the attached (?) : a platform font, displaying #('Basic
> Latin' 'Cyrillic'), using standard Squeak libs and VM, its Smalltalk
> code loadable into Cuis, Pharo and Squeak.
>
> No line of C nor char*, other than what is already in the VM and its
> plugins (and currently _nothing_ optimized).
>
> ?
>
>> Cheers
>> Philippe
>>

> --
> "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
> Albert Einstein<TestFontRendering.png>

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

bpi
Hi Keith,

As Juan, I would also like to know what you are referring to? Do you mean the mission statement of the Squeak Oversight Board? http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/

I think it is a very good mission statement. But except for perhaps "integrating contributions from collaborating groups (for example, Pharo, Etoys, and Croquet)" I see little with regards to content. (This is no critique at all, by the way!)

Or are you referring to something else?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 28.06.2009 um 19:05 schrieb Keith Hodges:

Squeak doesn't have a set of objectives and an agenda that is
meaningful for developers.
Yes it does.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 09:07:45PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >Colin> IMHO, Squeak.org needs to either recommit to Etoys and education as its
> >Colin> primary mission, or break compatibility and become a general Smalltalk
> >Colin> platform for a variety of applications. This suggests a merger with
> >Colin> either Squeakland or Pharo, but even without merging, Squeak.org can
> >Colin> get its mojo back if it chooses an identity.
> >
> >At this point, I'd be leaning back towards squeak central reintegrating Pharo,
> >given that Etoys already forked.
>
> Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea,
> doesn't that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already
> forked, Etoys can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

Integrating Etoys back into Squeak is a good idea, and right now
would be a good time to do it. I don't have any personal involvement
with Etoys, but it seems like the Right Thing To Do in the interest
of maximizing the total worldwide supply of good karma.

Reintegrating Pharo might be a good thing to do, but it seems premature
to be worrying about it now.

Dave

[squeak-dev] Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo

Janko Mivšek
Ian Trudel pravi:

> Göran Krampe:

>> Not sure what you mean there.
>
> Squeak is hardly approachable to newcomers (either seasoned
> programmers or simple new ones). Gaining popularity explicitly means
> to have newcomers. It's not possible if they can't understand what's
> going on.
>
>> Personally I like the colors. I also don't equal "normal" with
>> "professional". But such is taste!
>
> We could certainly debate on tastes but it's perfectly fine that you
> like the current colour scheme. However, you're not alone using Squeak
> and we have to consider other tastes.

> I just mean something approachable (normal look-and-feel), where
> people will feel comfortable from the day they start using Squeak
> through every other following days.

> A professional look-and-feel is probably more about simplicity and
> usability. It doesn't need to have colours by truck load. Something
> that one can spend countless hours looking at without eyes popping out
> of their sockets. And it's about everything... for example, Squeak has
> these childish window buttons and so on... it's NOT that cool, far
> from being trendy. Why would we get stubborn to keep such things? It
> looks like a toy, Squeak sometimes feels like a toy. When I squeeze
> Squeak, it squeaks. Just saying... =)

I completely agree with Ian here. If Squeak wants to be considered for
serious development, but also to attract developers from other
communities and newcomers, it must have the look&feel which is close to
theirs. This not mean that it must be the same, no, just that it follows
the established look&feel standards elsewhere.

Current Squeak is far away from that, while Pharo is marching well into
a more standard look&feel direction. This is actually one of main
reasons I'm attracted to Pharo. Also because they listen to such proposals!

But this don't mean that EToys can stay more colorful, no, let it be on
top of that more "traditionally professional" base. Why to mix two so
different audiences into one image?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo

Ian Trudel-2
2009/6/28 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
> Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea, doesn't
> that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already forked, Etoys
> can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

As far as I am concerned, I am not and never been interested in Etoys.
I managed to avoid it altogether for the years ever since I begun to
use Squeak. I'd rather prefer not have Etoys merged into Squeak.

Ian.

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

CdAB63
Em 28-06-2009 15:10, Ian Trudel escreveu:
(...)
I generally do not agree with those that think "corporate support" or "paid
work" is the solution. Sorry, I just don't.

I don't want a company deciding what happens with Squeak. Definitely not.

Göran, I do understand your concern about this. We should remember
that there is no ultimate solution. I think his idea was rather about
integrating this as part of a solution. Nothing to do with "a company
deciding on Squeak". Furthermore, ignoring companies and commercial
activities is also not a solution at all.

There is a huge difference between offering support to companies (and
asking support from them) and having them running Squeak Oversight
Board. I think we all agree the latter is undesirable and should not
happen.

Ian.

I would like to add that currently much of Linux development has corporate support. Without that linux would be dead or would be in the same instance as, let's say, FreeBSD. That doesn't mean that corporations are telling which direction linux must follow. Linux is only the most obvious example.

But I don't like to look at Squeak only as a toy platform that some MSc and PhD students can use to develop their works. I guess that people who's supporting their packages since old releases will agree with me. Besides, most people in the smalltalk communities ask the question: why Java did it while smalltalk didn't? And the answers are all around: Java had documentation from day 0. Java was really cross platform from day 0. Java was highly standardized. Java didn't oversaw day to day requirements as internationalization and comprehensive file and network support... And now the list of languages that are doing while smalltalk is spinning around is growing with Python, Ruby and other languages/environments. And I feel dismay when I see that even traditional smalltalk distributions (like Cincom VW) are loosing spin.

In short: money is not a bad thing. It allows development. Even when we are in academic environments money help to justify research and development projects. Want another example? SWI-Prolog.

But lack of money can be a problem. How many bright smalltalk researchers cannot work as much as they need/want to because they're involved in all sort of "more important, more immediate" projects? How many people left smalltalk development (not only squeak) to work in "more profitable areas"? Even people as Mr. Ungar and Mr. Kay and others had to stop/reduce participating strongly in Squeak committee due to other professional duties. That signs that for their current employers Squeak is not important enough to justify time employed in deciding its present and future.

When I was younger, working at university, I had this prejudice against money and "corporate support" and believed strongly in the obligation of State to financially support projects that would never ever pay themselves. That the "market" was controlled by a bunch of unlettered execs refractory to changes. Life proved that this prejudice didn't make me any good.

CdAB

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Merge mailing lists? (was The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

bpi
Am 28.06.2009 um 12:23 schrieb Göran Krampe:
> Even the squeak-dev list is quieting down and that is a bad sign.
Would that be a good time then to merge back some of the many Squeak
mailing lists? Most of them have very low traffic anyway. IMO having
so many mailing lists leads to increased fragmentation of the
community. It often happened to me that I found out too late about a
new mailing list. Now I miss many relevant mails in my archive and ask
questions which were answered already on a list I had not subscribed.
What do others think?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: [squeak-dev] Merge mailing lists? (was The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

Ian Trudel-2
Great idea, Bernhard. I vote for it.
If my vote count for something.
o_O

Ian.

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] I18-23N [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Philippe Marschall
2009/6/28 Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:35:45 +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>>> Ian, would it be possible you send me a list of what things _you_ need
>>> for
>>> internationalization. That would be very interesting in a current
>>> project.
>>
>> Oh, I forgot the usual things. Unicode normalization, collators, date,
>> number and currency formatting, unicode regexes.
>
> Don't get me wrong now: I know you're talking about your framework,

No, not at all. These are more a 21st century programming language
"features" that just "have to be there".

> can you
> point me to more specific locations (release/version, class name, method
> name) or so?

No. AFAIK some of this stuff in on the roadmap for VW 7.7.

http://site.icu-project.org/
This is what most PHP frameworks use these days and you feel kinda 2nd
class compared to them if you don't provide it.

>> Basically what ICU does.
>
> Assume that some other project has something new (in a recent .image on a
> Squeak VM).

Not that I know of.

> How can your stuff be tested with it? Would it be necessary to refactor your
> app, or can a project man like me do this and that, test this and that (!) ?

There isn't any of the stuff. That's just some of the things that I
consider missing in Squeak in the l10n area.

Cheers
Philippe

[squeak-dev] Re: Sq font rendering [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:21:28 +0200, Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> Hey, this looks great!

:)

> Care to explain more about what you are working on? What are your goals?
> I really like the fact that it is loadable into three of the forks. ;-)

three of the forks: a "simple" side effect by the very developer who's
responsible for the rendering part, he prefers subclassing of existing
Smalltalk libs.

BTW: Cuis has no WideString but will probably be the fastest of the three.

goals: render _every_ glyph that is in _any_ modern (Unicode) platform
font; make fonts offline and online usable, especially on small devices if
needed, on demand (by end user).

working on: three parts 1) fonts/glyphs without new plugins/VM support; 2)
glyphs "char" map visualization (for end user support); 3) glyph
composition (for complicated scripts which need more than one glyph per
"character" location).

Have an application in mind which we can add for doing tests?

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein

[squeak-dev] Re: I18-23N [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:49:07 +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2009/6/28 Klaus D. Witzel :

>>> Oh, I forgot the usual things. Unicode normalization, collators, date,
>>> number and currency formatting, unicode regexes.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong now: I know you're talking about your framework,
>
> No, not at all. These are more a 21st century programming language
> "features" that just "have to be there".

I do not care :) this is like: Ma get me that car over there. Instead, I
want to test/and or integrate, this is why I asked.

>> can you
>> point me to more specific locations (release/version, class name, method
>> name) or so?
>
> No. AFAIK some of this stuff in on the roadmap for VW 7.7.
>
> http://site.icu-project.org/
> This is what most PHP frameworks use these days and you feel kinda 2nd
> class compared to them if you don't provide it.
>
>>> Basically what ICU does.
>>
>> Assume that some other project has something new (in a recent .image on
>> Squeak VM).
>
> Not that I know of.

Can't you just follow the words "assume that, for the next line, that ...".

>> How can your stuff be tested with it? Would it be necessary to refactor
>> your
>> app, or can a project man like me do this and that, test this and that
>> (!) ?
>
> There isn't any of the stuff.

I asked for existing apps who need it. If there is no need, how can I test
adding I18-23 support? I think you got me wrong.

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein

[squeak-dev] Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo

Janko Mivšek
Bert Freudenberg pravi:

> Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>> At this point, I'd be leaning back towards squeak central
>> reintegrating Pharo,
>> given that Etoys already forked.

> Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea,
> doesn't that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already
> forked, Etoys can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

Hardly. Pharo deals with lower levels than EToys, EToys works in top of
that core, being Pharo or Squeak.

That's why I see Randal's suggestion reasonable and a nice refinement of
Göran's original "merge" idea. Then one should just adjust EToys on top,
or I'm too naive and don't see some technical problem here?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Sq font rendering [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

bpi

Am 28.06.2009 um 21:50 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:
> BTW: Cuis has no WideString but will probably be the fastest of the
> three.
Sound great! Cuis looks very promising!

> goals: render _every_ glyph that is in _any_ modern (Unicode)
> platform font; make fonts offline and online usable, especially on
> small devices if needed, on demand (by end user).
Sounds cool. What do you mean by offline and online usable?

> Have an application in mind which we can add for doing tests?
I am thinking about a kind of a special purpose, offline replicating,
non-web wiki, with something like CouchDB as the persistence layer.

> "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
> Albert Einstein
That quote probably fits my project. ;-)

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Ian Trudel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great idea, Bernhard. I vote for it.
If my vote count for something.
o_O

Ian.

2009/6/28 Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>:
> Am 28.06.2009 um 12:23 schrieb Göran Krampe:
>>
>> Even the squeak-dev list is quieting down and that is a bad sign.
>
> Would that be a good time then to merge back some of the many Squeak mailing
> lists? Most of them have very low traffic anyway. IMO having so many mailing
> lists leads to increased fragmentation of the community. It often happened
> to me that I found out too late about a new mailing list. Now I miss many
> relevant mails in my archive and ask questions which were answered already
> on a list I had not subscribed. What do others think?

Why don't you just subscribe to both mailing lists?

--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

keith1y
Dear Juan,
> Ok. So, what does that set of objectives and agenda say about:
> - Backwards compatiblity
We have had Installer, and LevelPlayingField for ages. The purpose of
which is to make some compatability possible between different images,
and ongoing changes to API's can be back ported to other images thus
preserving backwards compatability, and providing forwards compatability
where possible.

We have more backwards and forwards compatibility now than we ever had
before.

The crux of the difference between squeak and pharo philosophies has
been the issue of backwards compatability.
> - Removal (or not) of stuff
All tools we are using for 3.11 are not reliant upon a gui. This is
explicitly because the stated goal has been for at least 3 years to work
towards a kernel image, with which people can build up the custom image
that they want.
> - Addition (or not) of stuff
The proposal is to have a range of deliverables for different goals,
from minimal images to fully loaded images for testing.
> - Modularity
> - Any concrete statement (about the software, not the process!) so
> people can know what to expect
> ?
This statement has been that 4.0 would be as 3.10 with minimal changes
for relicencing purposes.

3.11 has been proposed as an image with minimal changes, that would be
proof of concept for the new process.

a) Readies the image for automated build and testing - i.e. release
early and often will be properly possible at last
b) Readies the image for our automated/open mantis integration for bug fixes
c) Hopefully includes atomic loading for making radical changes to the
image possible (i.e. new gui/compiler etc)
d) Readies the image for future releases that are assembled by a
selection of components, working to a design proposal rather than by an
infinite set of incremental changes by one or two control freaks.

(p.s. I need help someone to test and debug (c))

The actual "design" as to what 3.11 results in has been in the form of
executable code for over a year, in the ss/Tasks repository. This is
probably looking a bit stale now since I have been working on bob.
> When was it approved by the community or the elected leadership?
ages ago.

http://installer.pbworks.com/Squeak311Proposal
> Was there a decision process involving the community?
http://installer.pbworks.com/Squeak311

Keith

[squeak-dev] Re: Re: Sq font rendering [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:08:01 +0200, Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> Am 28.06.2009 um 21:50 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:
>> BTW: Cuis has no WideString but will probably be the fastest of the
>> three.
> Sound great! Cuis looks very promising!
>
>> goals: render _every_ glyph that is in _any_ modern (Unicode) platform
>> font; make fonts offline and online usable, especially on small devices
>> if needed, on demand (by end user).
> Sounds cool. What do you mean by offline and online usable?

If a company/organization bought/licensed some special font, or the font
is in public domain, and you don't want to install it on every PC or every
device, then we can make it part of the Smalltalk .image file.

>> Have an application in mind which we can add for doing tests?
> I am thinking about a kind of a special purpose, offline replicating,
> non-web wiki, with something like CouchDB as the persistence layer.

If you would need support for any/mix of these scripts,

- http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Blocks.txt

then our font/glyph support can be interesting for you.

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

bpi
I agree with what Juan and K. K. Subramaniam wrote. Squeak needs a goal, a statement what it is supposed to be. One thing I miss from the old days is the kitchen sink image. Neither Etoys nor Pharo have the goal for delivering such an image. So that could be a good raison d'être: Show what can be done with Squeak, and show what is done with Squeak. Something inclusive, a place for showing off all the cool, interesting, blue plane stuff, which is possible with such a dynamic environment. This attracted me to Squeak in the first place, and I think it still has the potential to attract newcomers.

I miss Connectors, MathMorphs, Alice, Games, ThingLab, Genie, Nebraska and all the other cool things that were once. But maybe it's just me. ;-)

Thanks for your attention.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 28.06.2009 um 20:02 schrieb K. K. Subramaniam:
What Squeak lacks is a clear enunciation of its value proposition. The opening
para of squeak.org is too general and leaves gaps. A short para that crisply
answers all the following questions:

  what is it primarily? - a programming environment, runtime, a kernel, a
research workbench for virtual machines?
  who is the intended audience? researchers? industrial programmers? advanced
programmers?
what is the primary purpose? prototyping? demos? test beds?
 what are its nearest competitive technology? Java? Flash?
 What is uniquely different (and much better) from these?

Such a para will serve to set expectations early and clearly.

Am 28.06.2009 um 16:08 schrieb Juan Vuletich:
Squeak doesn't have a set of objectives and an agenda that is meaningful for developers. And it hasn't had it for a long time. Pharo is new. But Tweak, Croquet and Etoys forked looong time ago. Now you also have Pharo and Cuis. Most developers are contributing to forks, and we only send our stuff for Squeak as a side-effect.

Am 28.06.2009 um 14:57 schrieb Juan Vuletich:
Squeak needs an agenda badly. Something along the lines of the old "Where is Squeak headed" from Dan. Without that, Squeak can't advance in any direction at all. People choosing a Smalltalk for their projects can not know what to expect. Forks can not know if they are needed or not.

Most forks have clearly defined objectives. Etoys, Croquet, Cuis do have them. The objectives for Pharo are broader, and less defined. But Pharo guys know where they are going, and they have some developer time and organization to advance.

Squeak has nothing of this.

The Squeak community needs to define objectives and an agenda for Squeak, or decide that we don't have them, and that the Squeak branch will not be developed further.

Re: [squeak-dev] I18-23N [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Igor Stasenko
2009/6/28 Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/6/28 Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]>:

>>> Oh, I forgot the usual things. Unicode normalization, collators, date,
>>> number and currency formatting, unicode regexes.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong now: I know you're talking about your framework,
>
> No, not at all. These are more a 21st century programming language
> "features" that just "have to be there".
>
>> can you
>> point me to more specific locations (release/version, class name, method
>> name) or so?
>
> No. AFAIK some of this stuff in on the roadmap for VW 7.7.
>
> http://site.icu-project.org/
> This is what most PHP frameworks use these days and you feel kinda 2nd
> class compared to them if you don't provide it.

That is very true. World become smaller and smaller.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

123456 ... 10