A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

123456

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

tblanchard
Oh, I'll chime in - it doesn't work the way I do and it drives me nuts.

I often type most of a line, realize I need parens around part of it
at the end of the line, put in the closing paren, then go back to put
in the opening one - where it then insists on providing a matching
closing one.  In general, I often end up typing the closing quote/
paren first, then go back to put in the opening ones.

In other words, I never code left to right - I code like an artist
builds a picture - starting with a sketch and gradually filling in
detail jumping around.  eCompletion is a huge impediment when you are
doing this as you spend more time deleting spurious matching quotes
and parens than you do just typing stuff.

I'm quite willing to agree that I might not be typical - but that's
how I work - successive approximations of proper code rather than
left to right perfection.

-Todd Blanchard

On Jul 16, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2007/7/16, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:
>> Since we do business devlopment we like to keep things a bit more
>> stable,
>> though try to keep up with the main release.
>> Besides, I find the eCompletion stuff a bit problematic (some of
>> us use it
>> though).
>
> What is problematic for you might be problematic for others too.
> What is it?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

tblanchard
+1
On Jul 15, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

To be truly "minimalist" we should just go back to what 3.8 did; don't

ever display the corner grips.  The hand already changes to indicate

you can resize, so aren't the corner grips a redundant indicator?

And if someone wants to restore the ability to resize from the sides

(a la 3.8) then what would be the display indicator consistent with

the corner-grips?

And yet, with 3.9, we now have NO indication that "something can

happen here" when the mouse is over the close-X, window menu, maximize

or minimize icons.  Again, 3.8 had it totally right.

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

tblanchard

On Jul 16, 2007, at 4:57 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2007/7/12, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>:
>> 1) When I browse senders, I get a browser with a bunch of methods.
>> If I modify one of the methods, I DO NOT WANT IT TO VANISH FROM THE
>> BROWSER ON SAVE!  I keep having to go find the freakin' thing for
>> every edit.  STOP IT!
>

> I you browser the senders and, after modification, your method is not
> a sender anymore, it's normal that the method disappear.

It is still a sender.

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Damien Cassou-3
2007/7/17, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>:

> Oh, I'll chime in - it doesn't work the way I do and it drives me nuts.
>
> I often type most of a line, realize I need parens around part of it
> at the end of the line, put in the closing paren, then go back to put
> in the opening one - where it then insists on providing a matching
> closing one.  In general, I often end up typing the closing quote/
> paren first, then go back to put in the opening ones.
>
> In other words, I never code left to right - I code like an artist
> builds a picture - starting with a sketch and gradually filling in
> detail jumping around.  eCompletion is a huge impediment when you are
> doing this as you spend more time deleting spurious matching quotes
> and parens than you do just typing stuff.
>
> I'm quite willing to agree that I might not be typical - but that's
> how I work - successive approximations of proper code rather than
> left to right perfection.

You can deactivate smart characters in the preferences.

Damien Cassou

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Damien Cassou-3
2007/7/17, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>:

> On Jul 16, 2007, at 4:57 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
> > 2007/7/12, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>:
> >> 1) When I browse senders, I get a browser with a bunch of methods.
> >> If I modify one of the methods, I DO NOT WANT IT TO VANISH FROM THE
> >> BROWSER ON SAVE!  I keep having to go find the freakin' thing for
> >> every edit.  STOP IT!
> >

> > I you browser the senders and, after modification, your method is not
> > a sender anymore, it's normal that the method disappear.
> >
> It is still a sender.

Colin have just corrected this behavior.

Damien Cassou

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Blake-5
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:32:32 -0700, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm quite willing to agree that I might not be typical - but that's how
> I work - successive approximations of proper code rather than left to
> right perfection.

I work uch the same way; I find the auto-parens to be a wash as far as
time-saving.

When they irritate me sufficiently, I turn them off.

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Damien Cassou-3
2007/7/17, Blake <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:32:32 -0700, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm quite willing to agree that I might not be typical - but that's how
> > I work - successive approximations of proper code rather than left to
> > right perfection.
>
> I work uch the same way; I find the auto-parens to be a wash as far as
> time-saving.
>
> When they irritate me sufficiently, I turn them off.

They irritated me too at the beginning. But I thought they can be
useful so I tried to get used to. Now, I think I'm more efficient with
them.

When I want to enclose an expression, I first select the expression
then write an open parenthesis. This writes the close parenthesis too.

Damien Cassou

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

timrowledge

On 17-Jul-07, at 12:32 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> Oh, I'll chime in - it doesn't work the way I do and it drives me
> nuts.
I agree. Autocompletion, like predictive typing, drives me nuts. If
anyone puts it into any image I use the first thing I'll do is rip it
out.

tim
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

RE: Ergonomics - Rant

Ramon Leon-5

> They irritated me too at the beginning. But I thought they
> can be useful so I tried to get used to. Now, I think I'm
> more efficient with them.
>
> When I want to enclose an expression, I first select the
> expression then write an open parenthesis. This writes the
> close parenthesis too.
> --
> Damien Cassou

Ditto, I love the auto parens. I much prefer to highlight and wrap
expressions than manually opening, jumping to the end and closing.  It's one
of my favorite editor features.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Damien Cassou-3
2007/7/17, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:
> Ditto, I love the auto parens. I much prefer to highlight and wrap
> expressions than manually opening, jumping to the end and closing.  It's one
> of my favorite editor features.

I feel less alone suddenly.

Damien Cassou

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Colin Putney

On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2007/7/17, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>:

>> THE
>> >

>> > I you browser the senders and, after modification, your method
>> is not
>> > a sender anymore, it's normal that the method disappear.
>> >
>> It is still a sender.
>>

> Colin have just corrected this behavior.

Yeah, I did a little work to enable the following behavior: The
browser still updates the list whenever the system is changed.
However, if some sender was modified so that it's no longer a sender,
it remains in the list, but is displayed using the "strike through"
text style. If it's modified again so that it's once again a sender,
it will be displayed normally.

On the other hand, Todd, if the method you save is still a sender and
it disappears from the browser, that's not an ergonomic problem, it's
a bug. I seem to remember fixing something like that a while back.
What version of OB are you using?

Colin

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Colin Putney

On Jul 17, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Ramon Leon wrote:

> Ditto, I love the auto parens. I much prefer to highlight and wrap
> expressions than manually opening, jumping to the end and closing.
> It's one
> of my favorite editor features.

What drives me nuts about them is that they impede the default
behavior for typing when you already have a selection - deleting the
selection and replacing it with what you type. If what you type
happens to start with $(, you get very different behavior that if it
starts with something else.

Worse, we already had a easy way to do what you talk about above -
cmd-shift-9.

Colin

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Simon Kirk
Damien Cassou <damien.cassou <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2007/7/17, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon <at> allresnet.com>:
> > Ditto, I love the auto parens. I much prefer to highlight and wrap
> > expressions than manually opening, jumping to the end and closing.
> > It's one of my favorite editor features.
>
> I feel less alone suddenly.

Damien, you're certainly not alone as far as I'm concerned.

I love Squeak, absolutely love it. But, I still think that it could learn
from other IDEs.

In particular, the autocompletion features in Eclipse for things like
brackets, strings, comments and semicolons for Java are fantastic. I think
that eCompletion (if that's what does the bracket/string/comment/etc
completion) has a few flaws that make its usability a bit frustrating.

For example, auto-wrapping a string is fine, but if I then typing a string
character inside a comment (so, for instance, writing a string that
contains the substring "I'm") it will automatically add another apostrophe,
as if I were writing a string in-code.

There are a number of foibles like that that ought to be relatively simple
to fix for eCompletion, and would improve the experience considerably (in
my opinion anyway).

I know for a fact that I am much faster at writing code using a highlight-
and-wrap approach to adding brackets, say, and I think people miss the
point that one can use keys (ctrl-and arrow to move/select by word
boundary, ctrl-and-home/end to select from the caret to the start/end of
the line, etc) to control the selection highlighting, rather than having to
move to the mouse, where they may find they slow down.

I've also experimented before (in Eclipse, as Squeak's undo/redo behaviour
is still pretty unpredictable) by undoing all my changes over a large undo
history, then redoing them (holding down the redo key) and watching the way
my code "grows" as I write it (it's quite fun to watch ;).

Therefore I can comment that in my opinion I code in much the same way that
Todd described earlier in this thread - and that I find that autocompletion
and judicious keyboard skills actually aids and smooths this process,
rather than hampers it.

I also know I get incredibly frustrated when I use a co-worker's image
where the autocompletion isn't there :) I also know that I don't visibly
see my co-workers code any faster or more elegantly when I watch them code
on their non-autocompleting images in front of me (even though
autocompletion annoys them in much the way others have described here), at
least not because of the lack of autocompletion.

Finally, the other autocompletion of using ctrl-space with eCompletion I
find far superior to the older alt-Q method. Apart from anything else using
alt-Q always seems to give me the wrong option (because Roeltyper helps
eCompletion know which option I really mean, I suppose).

However, to follow up what Gary Chambers said elsewhere, we've found that
eCompletion can leave Controller instances hanging around that seem to tie
up memory and not get garbage collected. Not entirely sure why.

My £1 worth (I ended up writing so much it wasn't just pennies :)

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

tblanchard
How can I tell?  The image is called squeak-dev-95.  I got it from my Google Summer of Code Protege.

On Jul 17, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

On the other hand, Todd, if the method you save is still a sender and it disappears from the browser, that's not an ergonomic problem, it's a bug. I seem to remember fixing something like that a while back. What version of OB are you using?

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Igor Stasenko
About alt-Q, i think it can be improved to sort matching selectors in
the way how they appear in current class hierarchy.
So, if you typing 'foo', and current class having 'foob' method it
will match first, and pressing once again, you will match 'fooa'
method found in parent class.

RE: Ergonomics - Rant

Gary Chambers-4
Yes, I remember now, that was very annoying. Also I think I had a few
problems with keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-L to left-indent I think).

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

Damien Cassou-3
2007/7/18, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>:
> How can I tell?  The image is called squeak-dev-95.  I got it from my Google
> Summer of Code Protege.

It's a pretty old version as far as OB is concerned.

Damien Cassou

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

cbeler
Ramon Leon a écrit :

>> They irritated me too at the beginning. But I thought they
>> can be useful so I tried to get used to. Now, I think I'm
>> more efficient with them.
>>
>> When I want to enclose an expression, I first select the
>> expression then write an open parenthesis. This writes the
>> close parenthesis too.
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>>

> Ditto, I love the auto parens. I much prefer to highlight and wrap
> expressions than manually opening, jumping to the end and closing.  It's one
> of my favorite editor features.

same for me (I like and want them in my image)...
For the auto-parens, alt+shift+9 (not handy in a french notebook)... is
another shortcut to remember and I prefer delete the text before
pressing ( or [ ...

Actually, the problem I have is I don't know how to undo auto
parens...is there a way to do ?

Anyway, I've always noticed beginners/newcomers like this kind of
options (eCompletion/auto-parens...) whereas experienced one don't...
When you still hesitating with class names and methods, it's good to me
(even if we could argue that you learn better by making errors...:) )...

We have to keep both and the preference to switch should be more
visible... there is a developer image preference category but maybe the
list is a bit too long... Maybe something like   "disable coding
completion facilities" ...

Cédrick

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

stephane ducasse
This is fun I hate them. This is the first thing I disable when I use
a 3.9 image :)

Stef

On 17 juil. 07, at 23:49, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2007/7/17, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:
>> Ditto, I love the auto parens. I much prefer to highlight and wrap
>> expressions than manually opening, jumping to the end and
>> closing.  It's one
>> of my favorite editor features.
>
> I feel less alone suddenly.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: Ergonomics - Rant

stephane ducasse
Could you make a precise list of the possible improvements of
ecompletion?

Stef