[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

johnmci
Actually Michael the RBInternalSpellChecker does use the macintosh spell checker plugin so
it does reuse. But I think we had a unix or open source alternative?  Someone could go look.

I found on the iPhone the currently  RBInternalSpellChecker took up lots of memory, and did
a frightful unpack initialization process at startup time (many many seconds) on an iPhone.
It was ditched...

On 2010-01-11, at 2:01 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> On 1/11/2010 10:59 PM, Stan Shepherd wrote:
>
>> There is also an internal spell check, for other platforms.
>> RBInternalSpellChecker.
>
> <broken record on>
> in Sophie we built a platform independent spell checker
> </broken record on>
>
> ;-)
>
> Michael

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
> I found on the iPhone the currently  RBInternalSpellChecker took up lots of memory, and did
> a frightful unpack initialization process at startup time (many many seconds) on an iPhone.
> It was ditched...

That was fixed a long time ago. I flushed the cache on shutDown and it
only reinitializes it again if it is used.

Luka

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

cool!

You are really crazy :)

On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:24 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> There is also an internal spell check, for other platforms.
>>> RBInternalSpellChecker.
>>
>> How do you use it or enable it ?  I have been using dev images for two years
>> and I have ever seen a spell checker :(
>
> This is an extension to SmallLint. Like Slime. It is run when you run
> code critics.
>
> Alternatively you can execute it like this:
>
> ORLintBrowser
> openRule: (RBCompositeLintRule rules: (RBCompositeLintRule
> rulesGroupedFor: RBSpellingRule) name: 'Spelling')
> environment: (BrowserEnvironment new forPackageNames: #('Kernel'
> 'Collections-Abstract'))
>
> Maybe I should add a menu to the already long refactoring commands?

we should a panel and a better ui for rb and smalllint
May be laurent screencast will create vocations :)

Stef

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

SergeStinckwich
Thank you for your good work Mariano. I use your image for my
development right now. The inspector is crashing in unexpected ways.

Just try : #(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10) inspect.
and in the panel below on the right, just evaluate for example : 3+7 with CTRL-D
several times. After a while, the following screen appears.

2010/1/10 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>
> I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same differences with
> the previous ones that you should know:
>
> 1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS Damien's
> bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the Squeak stuff from
> those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some problems. Forgive me if this is
> the case. I would like you to check, not only the Image in itself but also
> the zip. The package.txt, changelog, the fonts, etc.
>
> 2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or DejaVu
> package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts are faster,
> but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!
>
> 3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people who use
> it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision taken. O2
> depends and overrides OB making this more unstable sometimes. The same as
> the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this can be perfectly load in a
> PharoCore image without anything about OB.
> Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want packages
> support, then help in O2 development.
>
> 4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included. Now, it
> also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.
>
> 5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want, compare
> the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.
>
> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4
> evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>
> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>
> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.
>

> Ok .... Here is the link:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
>
> I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this image for
> my development. If there are issues, report them. If we have big issues,
> this image is not release. On the other hand, if it works well, we release
> it.

Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

=?windows-1252?B?Q2FwdHVyZSBkkuljcmFuIDIwMTAtMDEtMTIg4CAxNi41MS40OC5wbmc=?= (99K) Download Attachment

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

> Do you think something else should be addded?   Maybe we can reuse
> ScriptLoader cleanings ?

Yes, and also the GarbageCollector parameters that John McIntosh is
preparing. This must be part of Pharo 1.0 without doubts.

I don't know where is this work. Can you please open a ticket and label it as 1.0   and puting the link to the thread ?

Thanks

Mariano

>         Also, the packages.txt file talks about PharoCore1.0 (#10505).
>         Has
>         someone thought about the name shown in System->About:
>
>         PharoCore1.0rc1
>         Latest update: #10505
>
>         Because this is not a PharoCore image. Shouldn't this read
>         something
>         like
>
>         Pharo 1.0 Dev image.
>         Based on PharoCore1.0rc1
>         Latest update: #10505
>

> Yes, that's true. I agree. At least it was not "my falt" as it was
> already like that. But I am agree we should change that. However, I
> don't know how to do it.
> Maybe something related to SystemVersion? Any help ?
>

>         What about the disabling of software updates in the Pharo
>         dev/web
>         images? Will this be implemented or a careful update stream
>         will be made
>         in order to not break a dev image with overrides (real
>         difficult I
>         think).
>

> Maybe. But in addition, sometimes there are bugs that updating just
> fix them. I am not sure if I want to disable. I rather warn people
> about it.

Yes, both options have pros and cons.

Pros
- Can fix bugs after release
- Can aply improvements to the image after release.

Cons
- Can mess the image of someone by overwriting some overridden method.
- Can accidentally update more than intended in someone's image

Should we vote?

> Do you know if we break some overrrides doing an update?
>
>         Maybe all this setup can be put in a post-script in the
>         ConfigurationOfPharo class.
>
> It is. We have pre and post do its. So, no problem :)
>

>         That's all for now. I'm going to use this image to work the
>         following
>         days.
>
>         Cheers and keep the good work.

> Thanks Miguel for the excellent feedback. Let's hope to build better
> images!
>
> Mariano

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Miguel Cobá

> I don't know where is this work. Can you please open a ticket and
> label it as 1.0   and puting the link to the thread ?

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

garduino
Hi:

> 2010/1/10 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>>
>> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4
>> evaluate:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>>     load.
>>
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>>
>> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>>     load.
>>
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>>
>> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.

I started today, with the intention of port a new system I'm
developing directly to Seaside 3.0.

All the installation seems to works ok, I must try more yet, but a
thing I noticed is not included
and should by (imho) is Magritte.

Just my 0.02

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

garduino
After this mail I tried to install Magritte using
"ConfigurationOfMagritte" from MetacelloRepository, but fails.

This version of Magritte don't install with Seaside 3.0 ?

Cheers.
Germán.

2010/1/16 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> Hi:
>
>> 2010/1/10 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>>>
>>> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4
>>> evaluate:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>>>     load.
>>>
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>>>
>>> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>>>     load.
>>>
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>>>
>>> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.
>
> I started today, with the intention of port a new system I'm
> developing directly to Seaside 3.0.
>
> All the installation seems to works ok, I must try more yet, but a
> thing I noticed is not included
> and should by (imho) is Magritte.
>
> Just my 0.02
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Germán, you asked a very good question. I already asked Dale as soon as I read your email. I suggest you subscribe to metacello group as Dale is maintaining all Seaside related configurations.

For the moment, would you mind trying this in this dev (clean):

That will load Seaside 2.8 + Magritte

(ConfigurationOfMagritte project version: '1.2.1') load: #('Magritte-Model' 'Magritte-Tests' 'Magritte-Seaside' )

I didn't found anything for 3.0

And for Pier + Magritte + Seaside 2.8

(ConfigurationOfPier project version: '1.2.1') load

That's all I know for the moment. However, remember that you can install Seaside in other ways for the moment. For example you can look at the script used in the dev image before (I attach it if you want to look). However, all these configurations will be fixed soon.

Thanks

Mariano

installScript.st (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

garduino
Thanks by the response Mariano.

As I've said before I'm not using yet Seaside 3.0, but as I'm
developing a new system, wanted to try to port
now when the system is being born.

I'm also on Metacello list, will check about this. My question was
because my systems use heavily Magritte
and need to have it on 3.0 to try anything.

Thanks.
Germán.

2010/1/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Germán, you asked a very good question. I already asked Dale as soon
> as I read your email. I suggest you subscribe to metacello group as Dale is
> maintaining all Seaside related configurations.
>
> For the moment, would you mind trying this in this dev (clean):
>
> That will load Seaside 2.8 + Magritte
>
> (ConfigurationOfMagritte project version: '1.2.1') load: #('Magritte-Model'
> 'Magritte-Tests' 'Magritte-Seaside' )
>
> I didn't found anything for 3.0
>
> And for Pier + Magritte + Seaside 2.8
>
> (ConfigurationOfPier project version: '1.2.1') load
>
> That's all I know for the moment. However, remember that you can install
> Seaside in other ways for the moment. For example you can look at the script
> used in the dev image before (I attach it if you want to look). However, all
> these configurations will be fixed soon.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> After this mail I tried to install Magritte using
>> "ConfigurationOfMagritte" from MetacelloRepository, but fails.
>>
>> This version of Magritte don't install with Seaside 3.0 ?
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Germán.
>>

>> 2010/1/16 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi:

>> > I started today, with the intention of port a new system I'm
>> > developing directly to Seaside 3.0.
>> >
>> > All the installation seems to works ok, I must try more yet, but a
>> > thing I noticed is not included
>> > and should by (imho) is Magritte.
>> >
>> > Just my 0.02
>> >
>> > Cheers.
>> > Germán.

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1 timing and code simulation error bug

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> It would be cool if it didn't take 3+ hours to load.  2.8 is much more
>> reasonable.  Is 3 that much bigger, or is something wrong with the
>> configuration?

Stan: Can you test this again with the RC2 image?  It will use a new Metacello version that uses a feature of Gofer that does some cache..and etc..
So, it should be much better.

Can you test it and let me know?

Thanks

Mariano

> Yes, it cannot take 3 hours. In my case, it takes no more than 15 minutes.
> Stan: the old machine was with Windows? do you have any antivirus working
> like NOD32 or something like that ?

Hi, don't get too hung up on the 3 hr+, it's a really old machine running
Xubuntu I use to test my stuff runs lean. Better to look at the 'normal'
machine's time of 71 minutes, vs 15. Ubuntu, with no nasties running.

I previously reported that I find System update slow.

Mariano, do you run in a folder with a package cache present? I run in a
clean install, so it has to download everything.

The process I use:
create new folder seaside3buildTest2
paste and unzip a Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip one click
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4285691/loadprocess.txt loadprocess.txt , to have
a full environment
paste and unzip pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
copy pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.image .changes into Resources folder
delete Seaside.image, .changes
edit Seaside.sh to be pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.sh, opening
pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.image
pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.sh open with sh

I find it most convenient to start with a one click image like that.

MessageTally attached.

Also found my first bug:

MessageTally tallySends: [Gofer new
   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser';
   load].

Throws code simulation error

in
Project class>>spawnNewProcess

       UIProcess := [
               [World doOneCycle.  Processor yield.  false] whileFalse: [].
       ] newProcess priority: Processor userSchedulingPriority.
       UIProcess resume

...Stan

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1 timing and code simulation error bug

Stan Shepherd
Hi Mariano,

ConfigurationOfSeaside30-DaleHenrichs.123 is empty.
Using 122, it loaded in 43 minutes, so a bit quicker.
...Stan