[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

123456

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

> Whatever you guys want, so long as it indeed works.  With the explicit version, ConfigurationOfSeaside28 seems to do the trick.  I suggest adding a link to the downloads page with code for FFI and Seaside for starters.
>
> Another idea would be to add class methods to Gofer that use Metacello.  The existing #seaside28 should be rewritten or removed.
>
> Bill

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Adrian Lienhard

On Jan 9, 2010, at 22:32 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Thanks Benoit for the report and taking the time to run all the
> tests. I
> already knew that there are a lot failing tests. Unfortunately,
> there is not
> too much I can do:
>
> 1) Maintainers of packages with failures can tell me if they are
> failing for
> "my fault". I mean,  because I don't load a dependency or something
> like
> that. And if this is the case, I can fix that.
>
> 2) I can remove all the packages that have failing tests -> I think
> we will
> load very few packages.
>
> 3) We should ask maintainers to fix them. Of course, there are
> packages that
> even don't have maintainers.
>
> thoughts about this ?

Some time ago I individually talked with each maintainer and
eventually we managed to get all tests pass. That was with the
previous build of the Pharo image that Damien did. Now, I don't know
which additional tests you have loaded (?) but either these need to be
fixed or we should not load them. We want all tests to be green for
the release.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 9, 2010, at 22:32 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Thanks Benoit for the report and taking the time to run all the
> tests. I
> already knew that there are a lot failing tests. Unfortunately,
> there is not
> too much I can do:
>
> 1) Maintainers of packages with failures can tell me if they are
> failing for
> "my fault". I mean,  because I don't load a dependency or something
> like
> that. And if this is the case, I can fix that.
>
> 2) I can remove all the packages that have failing tests -> I think
> we will
> load very few packages.
>
> 3) We should ask maintainers to fix them. Of course, there are
> packages that
> even don't have maintainers.
>
> thoughts about this ?

Some time ago I individually talked with each maintainer and
eventually we managed to get all tests pass. That was with the
previous build of the Pharo image that Damien did. Now, I don't know
which additional tests you have loaded (?) but either these need to be
fixed or we should not load them. We want all tests to be green for
the release.

Adrian: Most of the failing tests are from OB. Someone said Lukas made all those tests green, but they are commited in his repo. Someone should merge that with the wiresong repo. If no one merge that, I don't know what to do: or remove them or keep them.

The only 3 tests no related with OB that are failing are:

ObjectFinalizerTests >> testFinalizationOfEquals

This one is failure, but running it again, it is green. Any idea?

ReleaseTest >> testUndeclared

failes.

WeakSetInspectorTest >> testSymbolTableM6812

Related to NewInspector. I cc Frederic.

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
> Adrian: Most of the failing tests are from OB. Someone said Lukas made all
> those tests green, but they are commited in his repo. Someone should merge
> that with the wiresong repo. If no one merge that, I don't know what to do:
> or remove them or keep them.

Use the code from my repository. However, there are currently 4 broken
tests as you can see on the build server
<http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/>.
Looks like some kind of a side-effect on the headless linux VM,
because I don't observe them in my image.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Adrian Lienhard
Lukas is the official maintainer of the OB package for Pharo.
Therefore I assume OB should be loaded from his repository... Lukas?

Cheers,
Adrian

PS: I don't know why testFinalizationOfEquals sometimes fails (also in
PharoCore)
PPS: Fixing testSymbolTableM6812 is on my todo list (it needs a change
in PharoCore)

On Jan 10, 2010, at 14:05 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> On Jan 9, 2010, at 22:32 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Thanks Benoit for the report and taking the time to run all the
> > tests. I
> > already knew that there are a lot failing tests. Unfortunately,
> > there is not
> > too much I can do:
> >
> > 1) Maintainers of packages with failures can tell me if they are
> > failing for
> > "my fault". I mean,  because I don't load a dependency or something
> > like
> > that. And if this is the case, I can fix that.
> >
> > 2) I can remove all the packages that have failing tests -> I think
> > we will
> > load very few packages.
> >
> > 3) We should ask maintainers to fix them. Of course, there are
> > packages that
> > even don't have maintainers.
> >
> > thoughts about this ?
>
> Some time ago I individually talked with each maintainer and
> eventually we managed to get all tests pass. That was with the
> previous build of the Pharo image that Damien did. Now, I don't know
> which additional tests you have loaded (?) but either these need to be
> fixed or we should not load them. We want all tests to be green for
> the release.
>

> Adrian: Most of the failing tests are from OB. Someone said Lukas
> made all those tests green, but they are commited in his repo.
> Someone should merge that with the wiresong repo. If no one merge
> that, I don't know what to do: or remove them or keep them.
>
> The only 3 tests no related with OB that are failing are:
>
> ObjectFinalizerTests >> testFinalizationOfEquals
>
> This one is failure, but running it again, it is green. Any idea?
>
> ReleaseTest >> testUndeclared
>
> failes.
>
> WeakSetInspectorTest >> testSymbolTableM6812
>
> Related to NewInspector. I cc Frederic.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Matthias Berth-2
Bill,

all I wanted to do with that snippet was to help you install seaside.
I did not want to pretend that this is the 'blessed' way of doing it
;-)

Cheers

Matthias

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matthias,
>
> That appears to have worked.  Let's see, we have Installer, ScriptLoader, Configuration*, Gofer, etc., and now Loader =:0  I'm guilty too, because I ended up writing Migrate in self defense.  Clearly something is missing in package management or we would not have so many different solutions to strongly overlapping problems.
>
> I will have to repeat this because
>
>  Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
>
> did not seem to do much - makes me wonder whether I really ran it.  If not, then it appears not to be necessary for Seaside to at least load.
>
> If this is in fact the correct way to install Seaside (I submit we need direction on that, unless you or Esteban are the authoritative source??), then it needs to get a link on the download page.  Therein, we should refer to (Smalltalk at:#Loader) rather than directly to Loader.
>
> Please convey my thanks and respect to Esteban - not sure I want to know *how* this works :)
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Bill

>>> From: [hidden email]

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Matthias Berth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bill,

all I wanted to do with that snippet was to help you install seaside.
I did not want to pretend that this is the 'blessed' way of doing it
;-)

Thanks Matthias, and it was very useful, indeed. We just want to get clear with the intentions of Pharo and each project :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Matthias,
>
> That appears to have worked.  Let's see, we have Installer, ScriptLoader, Configuration*, Gofer, etc., and now Loader =:0  I'm guilty too, because I ended up writing Migrate in self defense.  Clearly something is missing in package management or we would not have so many different solutions to strongly overlapping problems.
>
> I will have to repeat this because
>
>  Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
>
> did not seem to do much - makes me wonder whether I really ran it.  If not, then it appears not to be necessary for Seaside to at least load.
>
> If this is in fact the correct way to install Seaside (I submit we need direction on that, unless you or Esteban are the authoritative source??), then it needs to get a link on the download page.  Therein, we should refer to (Smalltalk at:#Loader) rather than directly to Loader.
>
> Please convey my thanks and respect to Esteban - not sure I want to know *how* this works :)
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Bill

>>> From: [hidden email]

Stef

On Jan 10, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Adrian: Most of the failing tests are from OB. Someone said Lukas made all
>> those tests green, but they are commited in his repo. Someone should merge
>> that with the wiresong repo. If no one merge that, I don't know what to do:
>> or remove them or keep them.
>
> Use the code from my repository. However, there are currently 4 broken
> tests as you can see on the build server
> <http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/>.
> Looks like some kind of a side-effect on the headless linux VM,
> because I don't observe them in my image.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

sure we understood it like that :)

On Jan 10, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Matthias Berth wrote:

> Bill,
>

> all I wanted to do with that snippet was to help you install seaside.
> I did not want to pretend that this is the 'blessed' way of doing it
> ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthias
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Matthias,
>>
>> That appears to have worked.  Let's see, we have Installer, ScriptLoader, Configuration*, Gofer, etc., and now Loader =:0  I'm guilty too, because I ended up writing Migrate in self defense.  Clearly something is missing in package management or we would not have so many different solutions to strongly overlapping problems.
>>
>> I will have to repeat this because
>>
>>  Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
>>
>> did not seem to do much - makes me wonder whether I really ran it.  If not, then it appears not to be necessary for Seaside to at least load.
>>
>> If this is in fact the correct way to install Seaside (I submit we need direction on that, unless you or Esteban are the authoritative source??), then it needs to get a link on the download page.  Therein, we should refer to (Smalltalk at:#Loader) rather than directly to Loader.
>>
>> Please convey my thanks and respect to Esteban - not sure I want to know *how* this works :)
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Bill

>>> From: [hidden email]

Well, not really "official" maintainer. I need a browser that does not
get in my way all the time. Therefor I integrated the refactoring
tools and fixed all the OB problems in Pharo. I shouldn't do it, I
don't have time for that.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lukas is the official maintainer of the OB package for Pharo.
Therefore I assume OB should be loaded from his repository... Lukas?

Wait...this is not a little decision. This is really big. Because a lot of people commits stuff to wiresong repository. How this will be merged ? where people that wants to contribute to OB should commit ?

Cheers,
Adrian

PS: I don't know why testFinalizationOfEquals sometimes fails (also in
PharoCore)
PPS: Fixing testSymbolTableM6812 is on my todo list (it needs a change
in PharoCore)

On Jan 10, 2010, at 14:05 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> On Jan 9, 2010, at 22:32 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Thanks Benoit for the report and taking the time to run all the
> > tests. I
> > already knew that there are a lot failing tests. Unfortunately,
> > there is not
> > too much I can do:
> >
> > 1) Maintainers of packages with failures can tell me if they are
> > failing for
> > "my fault". I mean,  because I don't load a dependency or something
> > like
> > that. And if this is the case, I can fix that.
> >
> > 2) I can remove all the packages that have failing tests -> I think
> > we will
> > load very few packages.
> >
> > 3) We should ask maintainers to fix them. Of course, there are
> > packages that
> > even don't have maintainers.
> >
> > thoughts about this ?
>
> Some time ago I individually talked with each maintainer and
> eventually we managed to get all tests pass. That was with the
> previous build of the Pharo image that Damien did. Now, I don't know
> which additional tests you have loaded (?) but either these need to be
> fixed or we should not load them. We want all tests to be green for
> the release.
>

> Adrian: Most of the failing tests are from OB. Someone said Lukas
> made all those tests green, but they are commited in his repo.
> Someone should merge that with the wiresong repo. If no one merge
> that, I don't know what to do: or remove them or keep them.
>
> The only 3 tests no related with OB that are failing are:
>
> ObjectFinalizerTests >> testFinalizationOfEquals
>
> This one is failure, but running it again, it is green. Any idea?
>
> ReleaseTest >> testUndeclared
>
> failes.
>
> WeakSetInspectorTest >> testSymbolTableM6812
>
> Related to NewInspector. I cc Frederic.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
>> Lukas is the official maintainer of the OB package for Pharo.
>> Therefore I assume OB should be loaded from his repository... Lukas?
>
> Wait...this is not a little decision. This is really big. Because a lot of
> people commits stuff to wiresong repository. How this will be merged ? where
> people that wants to contribute to OB should commit ?

You ask a maintainer to pull your changes from your or a separate
public repository. Like about any other open-source project does.
Linux. Pharo. Seaside.

It does not work when everybody publishes random changes to a
repository that everybody else is pulling from. Even if this looks
like really open open open-source, it is the inferno. This is how you
can turn in no time an excellent piece of software with hundreds of
tests into battlefield of bugs, broken tests, and messed up design.

Lukas

-
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Tudor Girba

Moose loads well and the tests work as expected.

I will try to work with this image for a while, although it kills me
not to see the packages :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 9 Jan 2010, at 18:13, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>
> I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same
> differences with the previous ones that you should know:
>
> 1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS
> Damien's bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the
> Squeak stuff from those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some
> problems. Forgive me if this is the case. I would like you to check,
> not only the Image in itself but also the zip. The package.txt,
> changelog, the fonts, etc.
>
> 2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or
> DejaVu package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts
> are faster, but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!
>
> 3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people
> who use it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision
> taken. O2 depends and overrides OB making this more unstable
> sometimes. The same as the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this
> can be perfectly load in a PharoCore image without anything about OB.
> Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want
> packages support, then help in O2 development.
>
> 4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included.
> Now, it also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.
>
> 5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want,
> compare the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.
>
> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside
> 2.8.4 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>
> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>
> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.
>

> Ok .... Here is the link:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
>
> I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this
> image for my development. If there are issues, report them. If we
> have big issues, this image is not release. On the other hand, if it
> works well, we release it.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

EstebanLM
Ok, I installed it and made a some-kind "web" image (Loading Seaside28
and Pier). The seaside and pier metacello configurations needs to
specify the version because there is no stable version declared.  The
configuration line to install seaside is:

(ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project version: '2.8.4.2') load.

So far, is working pretty good :)

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2010-01-09 14:13:40 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> said:

> [...]
> There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4 evalu=
> ate:<br>

> =A0=A0=A0 package: &#39;ConfigurationOfSeaside28&#39;;<br>=A0=A0=A0 load.<b=
> f you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:<br>

> =A0=A0=A0 package: &#39;ConfigurationOfSeaside30&#39;;<br>=A0=A0=A0 load.<b=
> r>=A0=A0=A0 <br>(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion=
> Ok .... Here is the link:=A0 <a href=3D"https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/downloa=
> d.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip" target=3D"_blank">https://gfo=
> rge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip</a><br=

> e for my development. If there are issues, report them. If we have big issu=
> es, this image is not release. On the other hand, if it works well, we rele=
> ase it. <br>

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Moose loads well and the tests work as expected.

Cool. Thanks for reporting Doru.

I will try to work with this image for a while, although it kills me
not to see the packages :).

Yes, I know. I miss packages too. Alexandre said he was going to work a bit with David to fix the current problems in O2. If this is done, you will then be able to evaluate:

(ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc2.10505.2') load: 'StandardDevImageWithO2'

But we need that someone fix that first.

Thanks

On 2010-01-09 20:21:19 -0300, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez
<[hidden email]> said:

> El dom, 10-01-2010 a las 00:08 +0100, Matthias Berth escribió:
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> this one works for me with the current pharo core 1.0 rc1, update upto 10505
>>
>> "execute this:"
>> Gofer new
>> squeaksource: 'Loader';
>> package: 'Loader';
>> load.
>> "then this"
>> Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
>> "then this"
>> Loader new
>> load: 'Seaside28' version: '2.8.4.2'
>>
>> The "Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'." loads a lot
>> of additional pharo packages. I guess you won't need that just to get
>> seaside working.
>>

> But isn't the loader alpha yet?
>
> I mean, I am really expecting for Esteban to release it because is more
> concise to write commands, but the issue here is the testing of the 1.0
> release of pharo with the current available/stable tools, that is,
> monticello, gofer and metacello.
>
> Cheers

Yes it is alpha... but just because the lack of testing and
documentation (and some complex functionality). I sent a script to
Matthias I was using to prepare an image for something private... and
at the same time test  a little the  loader package.
I think is very usable now, but as I said, It lacks a lot of testing
and documentation, but you can tryit if you want, a little early
feedback  can be very useful ;)
The package has been refactored following Stef suggestions, now you
should do something like this:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'Loader':
        package: 'GoferProjectLoader';
        load.

Gofer project
        load: 'Seaside28' version: '2.8.4.2'.

Cheers,
Esteban

pd: and now I'm going to prepare my backpack and go out on vacations,
or my girlfriend will kill me :P

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

EstebanLM

> Yes true. However, maybe other people rather to put a real username and
> password. I think this is more flexible.
> It would be cool to hear opinions.

Automated, I need it for continuous integration building

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Very true!!

On Jan 10, 2010, at 14:35 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Lukas is the official maintainer of the OB package for Pharo.
>> Therefore I assume OB should be loaded from his repository... Lukas?
>>

> Wait...this is not a little decision. This is really big. Because a
> lot of
> people commits stuff to wiresong repository. How this will be
> merged ? where
> people that wants to contribute to OB should commit ?

Until somebody steps up as a maintainer to provide an official
OmniBrowser for Pharo, Lukas' version is the best bet we have. As he
sais, he is not an "official" maintainer, but it worked out very well
so far. Since Lukas uses OB all day and knows how to fix its bugs, we
get a stable browser.

Therefore, I strongly suggest to continue this way, i.e., to use
Lukas' OB version. I'm sure that Lukas will consider external fixes
and enhancements and merge them into his line if appropriate.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Lukas is the official maintainer of the OB package for Pharo.
>> Therefore I assume OB should be loaded from his repository... Lukas?
>
> Wait...this is not a little decision. This is really big. Because a lot of
> people commits stuff to wiresong repository. How this will be merged ? where
> people that wants to contribute to OB should commit ?

You ask a maintainer to pull your changes from your or a separate
public repository. Like about any other open-source project does.
Linux. Pharo. Seaside.

It does not work when everybody publishes random changes to a
repository that everybody else is pulling from. Even if this looks
like really open open open-source, it is the inferno. This is how you
can turn in no time an excellent piece of software with hundreds of
tests into battlefield of bugs, broken tests, and messed up design.

I am agree. Now, suppose that "public repository" is wiresong. My main concern is that I don't want to "loose" those commits people do (maybe even from squeak) to that repository. So, someone should take care to integrate to Lukas OB repository the changes that are worth from wiresong repo.
We will be able to handle this ?

Lukas

-
Lukas Renggli