[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

123456

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 10, 2010, at 14:35 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Lukas is the official maintainer of the OB package for Pharo.
>> Therefore I assume OB should be loaded from his repository... Lukas?
>>

> Wait...this is not a little decision. This is really big. Because a
> lot of
> people commits stuff to wiresong repository. How this will be
> merged ? where
> people that wants to contribute to OB should commit ?

Until somebody steps up as a maintainer to provide an official
OmniBrowser for Pharo, Lukas' version is the best bet we have. As he
sais, he is not an "official" maintainer, but it worked out very well
so far. Since Lukas uses OB all day and knows how to fix its bugs, we
get a stable browser.

Therefore, I strongly suggest to continue this way, i.e., to use
Lukas' OB version. I'm sure that Lukas will consider external fixes
and enhancements and merge them into his line if appropriate.

Sorry Andrian, I sent my last email before this one ;)

Ok...I will do a test to build a new Dev image using OB from Lukas repository.

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers,
Adrian

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Adrian: Most of the failing tests are from OB. Someone said Lukas made all
> those tests green, but they are commited in his repo. Someone should merge
> that with the wiresong repo. If no one merge that, I don't know what to do:
> or remove them or keep them.

Use the code from my repository. However, there are currently 4 broken
tests as you can see on the build server
<http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/>.
Looks like some kind of a side-effect on the headless linux VM,
because I don't observe them in my image.

Lukas: I had most of the tests in red until I install the package OB-Fake
Do you know which packages from OB require OB-Fake?

After that I have only two tests failing :)

- testPushAlpaBeta
- testUpdatesSelection

The same it is here: http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

:)

Thanks

Mariano

Lukas

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas: I had most of the tests in red until I install the package OB-Fake
> Do you know which packages from OB require OB-Fake?

OB-Fake is a fake view. It is used by all tests that do not test
another view (morphic or web).

> After that I have only two tests failing :)
>
> - testPushAlpaBeta
> - testUpdatesSelection
>
> The same it is here: http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

I fixed the other two bugs, they were caused by a bug in the hudson
test runner. Don't know the matter with these buggers. Will have a
look later tonight.

> :)
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Tudor Girba

It looks like Metacello-Platform and Ocompletion are dirty. Any reason
for why the changes are not in the Monticello repository?

Cheers,
Doru

On 9 Jan 2010, at 18:13, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>
> I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same
> differences with the previous ones that you should know:
>
> 1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS
> Damien's bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the
> Squeak stuff from those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some
> problems. Forgive me if this is the case. I would like you to check,
> not only the Image in itself but also the zip. The package.txt,
> changelog, the fonts, etc.
>
> 2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or
> DejaVu package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts
> are faster, but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!
>
> 3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people
> who use it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision
> taken. O2 depends and overrides OB making this more unstable
> sometimes. The same as the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this
> can be perfectly load in a PharoCore image without anything about OB.
> Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want
> packages support, then help in O2 development.
>
> 4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included.
> Now, it also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.
>
> 5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want,
> compare the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.
>
> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside
> 2.8.4 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>
> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>
> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.
>

> Ok .... Here is the link:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
>
> I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this
> image for my development. If there are issues, report them. If we
> have big issues, this image is not release. On the other hand, if it
> works well, we release it.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lukas: I had most of the tests in red until I install the package OB-Fake
> Do you know which packages from OB require OB-Fake?

OB-Fake is a fake view. It is used by all tests that do not test
another view (morphic or web).

Cooool! thanks Lukas :)

> After that I have only two tests failing :)
>
> - testPushAlpaBeta
> - testUpdatesSelection
>
> The same it is here: http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

I fixed the other two bugs, they were caused by a bug in the hudson
test runner. Don't know the matter with these buggers. Will have a
look later tonight.

Excellent.

> :)
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

It looks like Metacello-Platform and Ocompletion are dirty. Any reason
for why the changes are not in the Monticello repository?

Thanks Doru for the report. For Metacello-Platform, it is correct it is dirty. I am having some problems with the progress bar when running Pharo from comman d line and build the images. We are trying to fix this with Dale but for the moment (as I needed to build Pharo image) I disable the posgress bar in that way.

Regarding OCompletion, I have no idea at all. I cc Romain to see if he can help us.

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers,
Doru

On 9 Jan 2010, at 18:13, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>
> I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same
> differences with the previous ones that you should know:
>
> 1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS
> Damien's bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the
> Squeak stuff from those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some
> problems. Forgive me if this is the case. I would like you to check,
> not only the Image in itself but also the zip. The package.txt,
> changelog, the fonts, etc.
>
> 2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or
> DejaVu package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts
> are faster, but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!
>
> 3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people
> who use it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision
> taken. O2 depends and overrides OB making this more unstable
> sometimes. The same as the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this
> can be perfectly load in a PharoCore image without anything about OB.
> Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want
> packages support, then help in O2 development.
>
> 4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included.
> Now, it also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.
>
> 5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want,
> compare the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.
>
> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside
> 2.8.4 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>
> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>
> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.
>

> Ok .... Here is the link:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
>
> I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this
> image for my development. If there are issues, report them. If we
> have big issues, this image is not release. On the other hand, if it
> works well, we release it.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Stan Shepherd
[...]

Hi Mariano, great job.

I was able to install Seaside 3 as per your instructions.   Xubuntu 9.10.

OB, refactoring, code critics all appear to be working faultlessly. I am impressed.

The only concern is that it took some hours to download and install Seaside (albeit on a slow spare PC). And with occassional network glitches, I had to restart a method a few times from a debugger. So this would not be a practical proposition for a new Pharoer.

Also the choice of fonts and theme makes for a better aesthetic result than the previous web image. For me, this is a much better image than that version.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this,    ...Stan

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!
>
> I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same differences with
> the previous ones that you should know:
>
> 1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS Damien's
> bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the Squeak stuff from
> those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some problems. Forgive me if this
> is
> the case. I would like you to check, not only the Image in itself but also
> the zip. The package.txt, changelog, the fonts, etc.
>
> 2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or
> DejaVu
> package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts are faster,
> but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!
>
> 3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people who
> use
> it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision taken. O2
> depends and overrides OB making this more unstable sometimes. The same as
> the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this can be perfectly load in a
> PharoCore image without anything about OB.
> Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want
> packages
> support, then help in O2 development.
>
> 4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included. Now, it
> also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.
>
> 5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want,
> compare
> the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.
>
> 6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4
> evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load
>
> And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>     load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion
>
> However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.
>

> Ok .... Here is the link:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
>
> I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this image
> for
> my development. If there are issues, report them. If we have big issues,
> this image is not release. On the other hand, if it works well, we release
> it.

Hi Mariano, great job.

I was able to install Seaside 3 as per your instructions.   Xubuntu 9.10.

Cool. Thanks for reporting. I will put that code in the next ANN email.

OB, refactoring, code critics all appear to be working faultlessly. I am
impressed.

Excellent.

The only concern is that it took some hours

hours ? seriously ?

to download and install Seaside
(albeit on a slow spare PC). And with occassional network glitches, I had to
restart a method a few times from a debugger. So this would not be a
practical proposition for a new Pharoer.

Yes, maybe you are right with this. Anyway, a new Pharoer would use Seaside one click. That's what I suggested.

Also the choice of fonts and theme makes for a better aesthetic result than

Thanks. But the choice was not only mine. We try to decide between all of us. That's why eveytime I have a question, I send an email to the mailing list and then we do what the mayority of the people says :)

the previous web image. For me, this is a much better image than that
version.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this,    ...Stan

You are welcome. Thanks for the report.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stan,

I found Seaside 2.8 to install in a reasonable time.  Did you time 3.0?  I'm surprised it worked, and it is certainly not going to go over well if my experience is any indication of how long it should take.

Bill

> [...]

Also the choice of fonts and theme makes for a better aesthetic result than the previous web image. For me, this is a much better image than that version.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this,    ...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
>> After that I have only two tests failing :)
>>
>> - testPushAlpaBeta
>> - testUpdatesSelection
>>
>> The same it is here: http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/
>
> I fixed the other two bugs, they were caused by a bug in the hudson
> test runner. Don't know the matter with these buggers. Will have a

I cannot reproduce these two bugs. They always appear on the build
server, but they pass when I download the exactly same image. Always.

Can you debug them?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After that I have only two tests failing :)
>>
>> - testPushAlpaBeta
>> - testUpdatesSelection
>>
>> The same it is here: http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Development/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/
>
> I fixed the other two bugs, they were caused by a bug in the hudson
> test runner. Don't know the matter with these buggers. Will have a
> look later tonight.

I cannot reproduce these two bugs. They always appear on the build
server, but they pass when I download the exactly same image. Always.

Can you debug them?

Sure. testPushAlphaBeta  fails in self assertSelectionIs: 1.  because in  assertSelectionIs: anInteger

you can see that anInteger and index are both 1, but the button answer false to the message isOn

testUpdateSelection fails in self assertSelectionIs: 2  because in assertSelectionIs: anInteger and index are both 2 but  isOn returns false..

Som, it seems both issue are due to the same.

Let me know what else can I test.

Cheers

Mariano

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
>> Can you debug them?
>
> Sure. testPushAlphaBeta  fails in self assertSelectionIs: 1.  because in
> assertSelectionIs: anInteger
>
> you can see that anInteger and index are both 1, but the button answer false
> to the message isOn
>
> testUpdateSelection fails in self assertSelectionIs: 2  because in
> assertSelectionIs: anInteger and index are both 2 but  isOn returns false..
>
> Som, it seems both issue are due to the same.
>
> Let me know what else can I test.

I don't know, I was assuming what you said, but I cannot reproduce it.
I guess we have to ignore it for now.

Lukas

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> Lukas

>> > --
>> > Lukas Renggli
>> > http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
>> >

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can you debug them?
>
> Sure. testPushAlphaBeta  fails in self assertSelectionIs: 1.  because in
> assertSelectionIs: anInteger
>
> you can see that anInteger and index are both 1, but the button answer false
> to the message isOn
>
> testUpdateSelection fails in self assertSelectionIs: 2  because in
> assertSelectionIs: anInteger and index are both 2 but  isOn returns false..
>
> Som, it seems both issue are due to the same.
>
> Let me know what else can I test.

I don't know, I was assuming what you said, but I cannot reproduce it.

I can reproduce with this way (maybe it help you):
- download  the latest PharoCore 1.0 and upload to 10505
- Evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
    load.

(ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project version: '1.1') load: #('Dev' 'Dev Tests' )

You should be able to debug it.

I guess we have to ignore it for now.

Yes, no problem at all. We are much better :)

Lukas

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> Lukas

>> > --
>> > Lukas Renggli
>> > http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
>> >

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Tudor Girba

I can now report that I worked 8 hours using the new dev image and I
encountered no problems at all.

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 Jan 2010, at 21:11, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
>
> to download and install Seaside
> (albeit on a slow spare PC). And with occassional network glitches,
> I had to
> restart a method a few times from a debugger. So this would not be a
> practical proposition for a new Pharoer.
>

> Yes, maybe you are right with this. Anyway, a new Pharoer would use
> Seaside one click. That's what I suggested.
>
> Also the choice of fonts and theme makes for a better aesthetic
> result than
>
> Thanks. But the choice was not only mine. We try to decide between
> all of us. That's why eveytime I have a question, I send an email to
> the mailing list and then we do what the mayority of the people
> says :)
>
> the previous web image. For me, this is a much better image than that
> version.
>
> Thanks for all the work you have put into this,    ...Stan

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
>> I guess we have to ignore it for now.
>>

> Yes, no problem at all. We are much better :)

Ok, I found the reason and fixed it. It only appeared when one of the
Polymorph themes was activated. I was building with the default theme
and then switched to the standard theme before I saved. That's why I
could not reproduce.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Doru for the feedback!!!   Now I hope to create a new one during the week with  all the feedback I received and using Lukas OB.

Thanks Lukas for the fix!!!

This is cool :)

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I guess we have to ignore it for now.
>>

> Yes, no problem at all. We are much better :)

Ok, I found the reason and fixed it. It only appeared when one of the
Polymorph themes was activated. I was building with the default theme
and then switched to the standard theme before I saved. That's why I
could not reproduce.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
Yeah, it should not have an effect on production. It is just the test
that checked directly for the color to see if a button is highlighted
and thus selected. The code is not used when running OB. I changed it
to use some other magic morphic test that works with all themes.

Lukas

<stan.shepherd414@gmail.com>wrote:

> The only concern is that it took some hours

hours ? seriously ?

> to download and install Seaside
> (albeit on a slow spare PC). And with occassional network glitches, I had
> restart a method a few times from a debugger.
Yes, it was 3 hr 29m on the old machine, but I don't know what percent it was halted due to network glitches. It would be really cool if it made say 3 retries when its HTTP gets failed.

I ran overnight on main machine (Ubuntu 9.04, 3 GHz dual core 1GB ram, nominal 7Gb internet but other downloads running) with message tally - 71 minutes.

...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
It would be cool if it didn't take 3+ hours to load.  2.8 is much more reasonable.  Is 3 that much bigger, or is something wrong with the configuration?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be cool if it didn't take 3+ hours to load.  2.8 is much more reasonable.  Is 3 that much bigger, or is something wrong with the configuration?

Yes, it cannot take 3 hours. In my case, it takes no more than 15 minutes. Stan: the old machine was with Windows? do you have any antivirus working like NOD32 or something like that ?