[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

123456

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1 timing and code simulation error bug

Stan Shepherd
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab@anest.ufl.edu>wrote:

> It would be cool if it didn't take 3+ hours to load.  2.8 is much more
> reasonable.  Is 3 that much bigger, or is something wrong with the
> configuration?

Yes, it cannot take 3 hours. In my case, it takes no more than 15 minutes.
Stan: the old machine was with Windows? do you have any antivirus working
like NOD32 or something like that ?

Hi, don't get too hung up on the 3 hr+, it's a really old machine running Xubuntu I use to test my stuff runs lean. Better to look at the 'normal' machine's time of 71 minutes, vs 15. Ubuntu, with no nasties running.

I previously reported that I find System update slow.

Mariano, do you run in a folder with a package cache present? I run in a clean install, so it has to download everything.

The process I use:
create new folder seaside3buildTest2
paste and unzip a Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip one clickloadprocess.txt, to have a full environment
paste and unzip pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
copy pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.image .changes into Resources folder
delete Seaside.image, .changes
edit Seaside.sh to be pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.sh, opening pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.image
pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.sh open with sh

I find it most convenient to start with a one click image like that.

MessageTally attached.

Also found my first bug:

MessageTally tallySends: [Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser';
    load].

Throws code simulation error

in
Project class>>spawnNewProcess

        UIProcess := [
                [World doOneCycle.  Processor yield.  false] whileFalse: [].
        ] newProcess priority: Processor userSchedulingPriority.
        UIProcess resume

...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

Also, the changes files, shouldn't be compressed for each RC and for the
final release?

In addition to do a Smalltalk condenseChanges is it necessary to do also a Smalltalk condenseSources ?  I ask because I have really no idea.

Thanks

Mariano

Also, the packages.txt file talks about PharoCore1.0 (#10505). Has
someone thought about the name shown in System->About:

PharoCore1.0rc1
Latest update: #10505

Because this is not a PharoCore image. Shouldn't this read something
like

Pharo 1.0 Dev image.
Based on PharoCore1.0rc1
Latest update: #10505

What about the disabling of software updates in the Pharo dev/web
images? Will this be implemented or a careful update stream will be made
in order to not break a dev image with overrides (real difficult I
think).

Maybe all this setup can be put in a post-script in the
ConfigurationOfPharo class.

That's all for now. I'm going to use this image to work the following
days.

Cheers and keep the good work.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 11, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Also, the changes files, shouldn't be compressed for each RC and for the
> final release?
>

> In addition to do a Smalltalk condenseChanges is it necessary to do also a Smalltalk condenseSources ?  I ask because I have really no idea.

No, we did that when going RC1... there is already a PharoV10.sources.

        Marcus

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4285691/loadprocess.txt loadprocess.txt , to have
a full environment
paste and unzip pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
copy pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.image .changes into Resources folder
delete Seaside.image, .changes
edit Seaside.sh to be pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.sh, opening
pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.image
pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.sh open with sh

I find it most convenient to start with a one click image like that.

MessageTally attached.

Are you sure ?   ;)

On Jan 9, 2010, at 11:59 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

>>    MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>>    MCDefinition clearInstances.
>>    Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories.
>>    Utilities cleanseOtherworldlySteppers.
>>    Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys.
>>    Categorizer sortAllCategories.
>>    Symbol compactSymbolTable.
>>    Smalltalk at: #ReleaseBuilderDeveloper ifPresent: [:builder |
>> builder new fixObsoleteReferences].
>>    RequiredSelectors initialize.
>>    ProvidedSelectors initialize.
>>    LocalSends initialize.
>>    Smalltalk organization removeEmptyCategories.
>>    SystemBrowser removeObsolete.
>>    TheWorldMenu removeObsolete.
>>    AppRegistry removeObsolete.
>>    Set rehashAllSets.
>>    Smalltalk cleanOutUndeclared.
>>    Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>>

> Respect to this list, and maybe this should be a ticket. Shouldn't be
> better to have an established message to cleanup the image on release.
> Something like the cleanUpForImageRelease but generalized and then, the
> classes that need to do something like this, they implement that
> message.
>
> So on release a new image version you only call something like
>
> Smalltalk cleanUpForImageRelease.
>
> and inside it search all the classes that implements the message and
> call them. So, your post-script becomes a single line and each package
> is responsible of putting inside its own cleanUpForImageRelease whatever
> needed to initialize itself.
> But well, just an idea for subsequent releases.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Stan Shepherd

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!

I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same differences with
the previous ones that you should know:

1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS Damien's
bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the Squeak stuff from
those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some problems. Forgive me if this is
the case. I would like you to check, not only the Image in itself but also
the zip. The package.txt, changelog, the fonts, etc.

2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or DejaVu
package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts are faster,
but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!

3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people who use
it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision taken. O2
depends and overrides OB making this more unstable sometimes. The same as
the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this can be perfectly load in a
PharoCore image without anything about OB.
Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want packages
support, then help in O2 development.

4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included. Now, it
also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.

5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want, compare
the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.

6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4
evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
    load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load

And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
    load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion

However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.

Ok .... Here is the link:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip

I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this image for
my development. If there are issues, report them. If we have big issues,
this image is not release. On the other hand, if it works well, we release
it.

Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for inclusion.
...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how
may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for
inclusion.
...Stan

Good question. I really appreacite the feedback. Thanks.

No, actually the only reason is because I didn realize it :)  because, I don't explicity load RB, it is loaded because as a dependency of OB-refactory, but it only needs the Refactoring-Core, not spelling, and that's why it wasen't loaded.

However, it is really easy to change if we want. I just put the complete RB as requiered in in Pharo and that's all.

In summary, no problem, if we want, I add it.

I don't think even it is much problem to load it. And in the previous images it is was loaded, so, I like to idea to load it.

What other things?

cheers

mariano

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Stan, can you check if there is another package missing from the previous dev image ?

Thanks!

Mariano

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Ok .... Here is the link:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip
>
> I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this image
> for
> my development. If there are issues, report them. If we have big issues,
> this image is not release. On the other hand, if it works well, we release
> it.

Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how
may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for
inclusion.
...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

> Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how
> may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for

if I remember it depends on some mac library

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
>> Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how
>> may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for
>> inclusion.
>
> if I remember it depends on some mac library

No, it does not depend on the mac primitive. I've implemented an
alternative that works on all platforms, less performant and of a
lesser quality, but it should basically work.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Stan Shepherd
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Hi Stan, can you check if there is another package missing from the previous
dev image ?

Thanks!

Mariano
Hi Mariano, attached is the list of differences from 10502 to 10505. All missing packages seem to relate to O2, except for Spelling.

Is this what you meant?

Cheers,   ...Stan

packagesDiff10502to10505.ods

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Stan Shepherd

Stéphane Ducasse wrote

> Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how
> may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for
> inclusion.

if I remember it depends on some mac library

There is also an internal spell check, for other platforms. RBInternalSpellChecker.

...Stan

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Stan, can you check if there is another package missing from the
> previous
> dev image ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano

Hi Mariano, attached

did you know about the Gmail feature (it is in Lab) that detects certain key words like "attached" or "attach" and when you are going to send an email, a popup brigns saying "Are you sure you don't have to attach something? "

;)

is the list of differences from 10502 to 10505. All
missing packages seem to relate to O2, except for Spelling.

Is this what you meant?

But, yes, exactly that.  Don't care that there is a changelog.txt for each dev images comparing exactly this, but I had a problem for the moment with that.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,   ...Stan

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4288408/packagesDiff10502to10505.ods
packagesDiff10502to10505.ods

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Michael Rueger-6
On 1/11/2010 10:59 PM, Stan Shepherd wrote:

> There is also an internal spell check, for other platforms.
> RBInternalSpellChecker.

<broken record on>
in Sophie we built a platform independent spell checker
</broken record on>

;-)

Michael

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> Was there a reason you opted not to include RB spelling? I don't know how
>> may people use it- I find it really handy, so my vote would be for
>> inclusion.
>

> if I remember it depends on some mac library
>
> Stef

There is also an internal spell check, for other platforms.
RBInternalSpellChecker.

How do you use it or enable it ?  I have been using dev images for two years and I have ever seen a spell checker :(

...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
>> There is also an internal spell check, for other platforms.
>> RBInternalSpellChecker.
>
> How do you use it or enable it ?  I have been using dev images for two years
> and I have ever seen a spell checker :(

This is an extension to SmallLint. Like Slime. It is run when you run
code critics.

Alternatively you can execute it like this:

ORLintBrowser
        openRule: (RBCompositeLintRule rules: (RBCompositeLintRule
rulesGroupedFor: RBSpellingRule) name: 'Spelling')
        environment: (BrowserEnvironment new forPackageNames: #('Kernel'
'Collections-Abstract'))

Maybe I should add a menu to the already long refactoring commands?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Stan Shepherd
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Stan Shepherd
<stan.shepherd414@gmail.com>wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> > Hi Stan, can you check if there is another package missing from the
> > previous
> > dev image ?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mariano
> >

> Hi Mariano, attached

did you know about the Gmail feature (it is in Lab) that detects certain key
words like "attached" or "attach" and when you are going to send an email, a
popup brigns saying "Are you sure you don't have to attach something? "

;)

> is the list of differences from 10502 to 10505. All
> missing packages seem to relate to O2, except for Spelling.
>
> Is this what you meant?

But, yes, exactly that.  Don't care that there is a changelog.txt for each
dev images comparing exactly this, but I had a problem for the moment with
that.

Thanks a lot.

> Cheers,   ...Stan
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4288408/packagesDiff10502to10505.ods
> packagesDiff10502to10505.ods
Hi, I only browse the forum through Nabble, and it's attaching fine.
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4288408/packagesDiff10502to10505.ods

see:
http://n2.nabble.com/BetaTesting-ANN-Pharo1-0-10505-rc1dev10-01-1-td4278312i80.html

sorry if it's not coming through on email.

Previous file is
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4285691/loadprocess.txt

Do those links work?
...Stan

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
> This is an extension to SmallLint. Like Slime. It is run when you run
> code critics.
>
> Alternatively you can execute it like this:
>
> ORLintBrowser
>        openRule: (RBCompositeLintRule rules: (RBCompositeLintRule
> rulesGroupedFor: RBSpellingRule) name: 'Spelling')
>        environment: (BrowserEnvironment new forPackageNames: #('Kernel'
> 'Collections-Abstract'))
>
> Maybe I should add a menu to the already long refactoring commands?

With Helvetia you get it live in the text editor as a wavy red line.

Along with the other lint rules as a wavy yellow line.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Stan Shepherd
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Stan, can you check if there is another package missing from the
>> > previous
>> > dev image ?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Mariano
>> >

>> Hi Mariano, attached
>

> did you know about the Gmail feature (it is in Lab) that detects certain
> key
> words like "attached" or "attach" and when you are going to send an email,
> popup brigns saying "Are you sure you don't have to attach something? "
>
> ;)
>

>> is the list of differences from 10502 to 10505. All
>> missing packages seem to relate to O2, except for Spelling.
>>
>> Is this what you meant?
>>

> But, yes, exactly that.  Don't care that there is a changelog.txt for each
> dev images comparing exactly this, but I had a problem for the moment with
> that.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>

>> Cheers,   ...Stan
>>
>> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4288408/packagesDiff10502to10505.ods
>> packagesDiff10502to10505.ods

Hi, I only browse the forum through Nabble, and it's attaching fine.
see:
http://n2.nabble.com/BetaTesting-ANN-Pharo1-0-10505-rc1dev10-01-1-td4278312i80.html

sorry if it's not coming through on email.

Previous file is
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4285691/loadprocess.txt

Do those links work?

Sorry, I don't know why, I didn't receive the attach in the email. But a anyway, the links work perfect (I always forget to attach file)

I have no idea what your problem is. Now I am confused:  you have two things: you sent me the difference from the packages and also the stacktrace from messagetally. This piece of thread is from changes, but your links are for the MessageTally.

Anyway, this thread is already too big.  I would send a separate and clear mail to the mailing list to see if someone can help you.

Thanks about the packages info and the testing.

Cheers

Mariano

...Stan

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is an extension to SmallLint. Like Slime. It is run when you run
> code critics.
>
> Alternatively you can execute it like this:
>
> ORLintBrowser
>        openRule: (RBCompositeLintRule rules: (RBCompositeLintRule
> rulesGroupedFor: RBSpellingRule) name: 'Spelling')
>        environment: (BrowserEnvironment new forPackageNames: #('Kernel'
> 'Collections-Abstract'))
>
> Maybe I should add a menu to the already long refactoring commands?

Yes, maybe this will be easier to use than having to run the lints.