Could we fix the web site

12345

Re: Could we fix the web site

karl-8
Brad Fuller skrev:

>>> I'm not sure about getting just headlines though... Brad?
>> Yeah, we can show just titles (I just changed it so you could see)
> Karl: it's on the test site

Looks good to me. Use it on the main page.
Karl

Re: Could we fix the web site

J J-6
Just to clarify what I meant:

I like it almost exactly as it is.  The only thing I would personally change
would be to associate the weekly squeak with the week it is about and
(maybe) add a couple of sentences to the summary.

I like the about where it is.  It should be on the front page, but if it is
at the top it will push the news down off the screen.  For the ADD crowd we
need that date right on the first page without scrolling.  If it isn't
current, it isn't relevant so the about doesn't matter.

As for typos, how do you enter the news?  If you use the web browser, then
download Mozilla 2.  It has a spell check built in.  That's why I am able to
spell all of the sudden (now if they would just add a grammar checker I
could appear educated).

>From: "J J" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: Could we fix the web site
>Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:19:39 +0000
>
>The sites I looked at just had a summary first, which squeak.org did when I
>looked.  Maybe add a little bit more?  I don't think the whole about needs
>to go up there as it is kind of long.
>

>>From: Karl <[hidden email]>
>>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>>list<[hidden email]>
>>Subject: Re: Could we fix the web site
>>Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:47:54 +0100
>>
>>J J wrote:
>>>
>>>Well what do other people do? Haskell is pretty popular these days. Here
>>>is their site:
>>>http://haskell.org
>>>
>>http://www.python.org/ has 'about python' first.
>>http://www.java.com is just ads and presentations
>>http://www.erlang.org is just news
>>http://www.perl.org is a table/menu of links and then news
>>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx is news/tutorials
>>and ads
>>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vcsharp/default.aspx is news/tutorials
>>
>>There seems there is no general consensus about what should be first.
>>But if the majority of Squeakers think the 'about' should be fist it's
>>easy to change.
>>I'm not sure about getting just headlines though... Brad?
>>Karl

>>>Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
>>>www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701

>Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live
>http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live Messenger! Get
it now

Re: Could we fix the web site

Cees De Groot
On 1/6/07, Joshua Gargus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephane makes a good point.  If we want http://squeak.org to be the
> public face of Squeak to the outside world, then the news feeds
> should absolutely not appear at the very top.  Instead, the Welcome!
> section should come first to give a basic understanding of the entire
> site. That much is clear (right?  if not, why?)

It depends. Define your audience first. Then the rest follows suit.

1. Make squeak.org mostly interesting to newcomers: put the blurb on top.
2. Make squeak.org a portal interesting to regulars: put the news on top.

An oversimplification, but just making the point that you should
define your audience groups and their relative importance before
discussing what to put above the fold.

Having said that, it's probably not a very good idea to start with a
news section that links off-site :). But I agree that a static
frontpage makes for a dead website these days so if this is all we're
going to get with the current volunteer team, fine with me.

Kudos to the web and news teams for an awesome amount of progress in
2006 (and hoping for them to put even more work into it in 2007 :-P).

And Stef - sorry, but your style of communication is again not very
helpful. Frankly, if you start like that, I could not care less what
you put or put not on your resumes, link-wise.

Re: Could we fix the web site

Cees De Groot
On 1/6/07, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually - these are the guys to catch:
> http://www.rubyonrails.org/

To catch?

In case I interpret that as them being competition - I don't see RoR
that way. Finally a feasible, well-documented, well-thought-out web
framework in a dynamic language that doesn't suck as much as Perl :-).
We should be linking to them instead of viewing them as competition!

/me mumbles something of standing on the shoulders of giants and wanders away

Re: Could we fix the web site

stephane ducasse
> And Stef - sorry, but your style of communication is again not very
> helpful. Frankly, if you start like that, I could not care less what
> you put or put not on your resumes, link-wise.

Thanks I really appreciate... but from you it does not matter in fact.

This proves to me that I should really do something else. May be if
you browse the archive
you will notice that I'm the guy that really pushed and worked on
setting up the first version of the
new web page (it was not that sexy) but of course this does not count.

Talking is always easier.

Happy new year Cees.

Re: Could we fix the web site

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Cees,

on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:36:27 +0100, you wrote:
> And Stef - sorry, but your style of communication is again not very
> helpful. Frankly, if you start like that, I could not care less what
> you put or put not on your resumes, link-wise.

"start like that" ? Didn't he just ask if it is possible to make some
changes?

Cees, this kind of blunder that you wrote is just the "right" stuff for
newbees to send them away from the main mailing list (and perhaps from
Squeak): Stef has not only done a great job but he is also a great
contributor and promotor. Now is this your message: go away activists,
Cees could not care less.

What criteria do you put up for linking a resume to Squeak pages? What
criteria do you put up for allowing to ask for changes to the main web
page?

/Klaus

Re: Could we fix the web site

Andreas.Raab
Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:36:27 +0100, you wrote:
>> And Stef - sorry, but your style of communication is again not very
>> helpful. Frankly, if you start like that, I could not care less what
>> you put or put not on your resumes, link-wise.
>
> "start like that" ? Didn't he just ask if it is possible to make some
> changes?

I'll have to say I'm 100% with Cees on this one - I read that message as
a threat (I will not link to you unless you change X and Y) and not as a
request. Not one bit.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> Cees, this kind of blunder that you wrote is just the "right" stuff for
> newbees to send them away from the main mailing list (and perhaps from
> Squeak): Stef has not only done a great job but he is also a great
> contributor and promotor. Now is this your message: go away activists,
> Cees could not care less.
>
> What criteria do you put up for linking a resume to Squeak pages? What
> criteria do you put up for allowing to ask for changes to the main web
> page?
>
> /Klaus

Re: Could we fix the web site

stephane ducasse
Why andreas? My original post was not nice?

"
Happy new years. I wish you a lot of fun and success for your
squeaking projects.

Now I would like to know if this is possible to fix the squeak web site.
I was a nice idea to put the news seeds in the web site but but but.
        - we do not control the contents
        - some of them are not really squeaking
        - some of them contain a lot of typos.

        "Croquet Edit and Create 3d Objects
Howard Stearns reciently replyed to a question from Mathieu. I
thought I’d reporduce his response here. Howard give a lot of very
good information about Croquet support for third party tools...."
        Sorry but I do not know who is mathieu :) and this give me the
impression to get in a private discussion.

I want to be **proud** to put a link on http:/www.squeak.org/ on
important documents.
So could we ut the welcome section right on the top. and the news
after the portal.

Stef
"

But this is clear I will stay away from squeak. This is a good year
resolution.

Stef

On 7 janv. 07, at 15:37, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:36:27 +0100, you wrote:
>>> And Stef - sorry, but your style of communication is again not very
>>> helpful. Frankly, if you start like that, I could not care less what
>>> you put or put not on your resumes, link-wise.
>> "start like that" ? Didn't he just ask if it is possible to make
>> some changes?
>
> I'll have to say I'm 100% with Cees on this one - I read that
> message as a threat (I will not link to you unless you change X and
> Y) and not as a request. Not one bit.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
>> Cees, this kind of blunder that you wrote is just the "right"
>> stuff for newbees to send them away from the main mailing list
>> (and perhaps from Squeak): Stef has not only done a great job but
>> he is also a great contributor and promotor. Now is this your
>> message: go away activists, Cees could not care less.
>> What criteria do you put up for linking a resume to Squeak pages?
>> What criteria do you put up for allowing to ask for changes to the
>> main web page?
>> /Klaus

Re: Could we fix the web site

tblanchard
You misunderstand.  Squeak is the better product .  I tried RoR and
found it to be like the stone ages. But RoR has GREAT marketing and
evangelism.  Which is why they have bigger mindshare.

We could learn something from them there.  Who is the website for?
Current Squeakers?  I think not so much.  You want to attract new
users with it.  New users don't care about the news - they don't
understand it.  It is for insiders and it makes us look clubby and
not really welcoming.

I think the Squeak site looks gorgeous - really pretty - but the
order of presentation isn't so good if you are wanting to draw people
in.

On Jan 7, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Cees de Groot wrote:

> On 1/6/07, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Actually - these are the guys to catch:
>> http://www.rubyonrails.org/
>
> To catch?
>
> In case I interpret that as them being competition - I don't see RoR
> that way. Finally a feasible, well-documented, well-thought-out web
> framework in a dynamic language that doesn't suck as much as Perl :-).
> We should be linking to them instead of viewing them as competition!
>
> /me mumbles something of standing on the shoulders of giants and
> wanders away

Re: Could we fix the web site

Andreas.Raab
stephane ducasse wrote:
> Why andreas? My original post was not nice?

Well, judge for yourself - are these "nice" quotes? "Or I can remove all
the links I have on my sites and cv to squeak.org..." "But ok I will
remove all my links to squeak.org." "Really I'm quite annoyed. I cannot
tell you all the story behind my mail but this is not a simple idiot
remark. "

And perhaps most importantly if someone points out that Cees is not the
only person who read those messages that way, is it "nice" to respond
like this?

> But this is clear I will stay away from squeak. This is a good year
> resolution.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: Could we fix the web site

Damien Pollet
> There seems there is no general consensus about what should be first.

I think there is, but existing implementations are more or less
successful. There should be a design pattern for home pages.

The audience for a home page is both newcomers or even people
wandering by, and people that want to follow the community. Both have
different questions when they arrive on the page:

newcomers:
- what the hell is Squeak ?
- where are the screenshots ?
- where are the tutorials ?
- where do I get/try it ?

followers:
- where is the latest release ?
- what is happening in the community (events, releases, hot projects,
misc news) ?
- where is the documentation/technical papers ?
- where is the source / version control / bugtracker ?
- how is the community organized ? (think debian guidelines or friend
sites like squeaksource, squeak foundation etc)

I like http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ because it doesn't look academic
like haskell (purely aesthetic) nor corporate bs like java or vb
(java.sun.com is better than java.com btw), and it's visually clearer
than python's page.

- big logo that means "yes, this is THE official page"
- Ruby is... + small code sample that changes at each reload
- news that mean "yes, we,re alive"
- big download link
- get started / explore / participate sidebar blocks that you see as
soon as you spend a few seconds looking at the page.

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Could we fix the web site

keith1y
Andreas Raab wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Why andreas? My original post was not nice?
>
> Well, judge for yourself - are these "nice" quotes? "Or I can remove
> all the links I have on my sites and cv to squeak.org..." "But ok I
> will remove all my links to squeak.org." "Really I'm quite annoyed. I
> cannot tell you all the story behind my mail but this is not a simple
> idiot remark. "
>
> And perhaps most importantly if someone points out that Cees is not
> the only person who read those messages that way, is it "nice" to
> respond like this?
>
>> But this is clear I will stay away from squeak. This is a good year
>> resolution.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
I dont think that Stef needs to judge for himself at all. There is
nothing "un nice" about these quotes, particularly when they are read
"in context".

There is nothing un-nice about suggesting that links to squeak.org might
be removed from a cv. I would want links from my cv to be fairly static
and to know exactly what a prospective employer might be reading. I
would put my own description about squeak in for this purpose. Heck even
the name "squeak" can be a problem in that respect.

Keith

Re: Could we fix the web site

stephane ducasse
thanks keith.
In fact this is basically the only option I have and this was making
me sad. Because at the end I would like to be proud of squeak and
what we are and did.
but form is as important as contents when people are judging you. So
already the changes made by karl improved the situation.

Stef

2007/1/7, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]>:
> Cees, this kind of blunder that you wrote is just the "right" stuff for
> newbees to send them away from the main mailing list (and perhaps from
> Squeak): Stef has not only done a great job but he is also a great
> contributor and promotor. Now is this your message: go away activists,
> Cees could not care less.

Exactly. I would understand an aggressive answer to a first mail but
after a while it's easy to see behind one's writing style and abstract
away what could be read as aggressive but wasn't really meant so.
We don't have the time or the english skills to write perfect tactful
mails, so as readers we should learn to interpret mails.

*puts down Captain Obvious costume*

Keith Hodges wrote:
> I dont think that Stef needs to judge for himself at all. There is
> nothing "un nice" about these quotes, particularly when they are read
> "in context".

I guess that merely goes to show that different people interpret things
differently - which after all was my point, namely saying that I read
those messages in a quite similar way that Cees did. No more, no less
and with that I'm out of this thread ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> There is nothing un-nice about suggesting that links to squeak.org might
> be removed from a cv. I would want links from my cv to be fairly static
> and to know exactly what a prospective employer might be reading. I
> would put my own description about squeak in for this purpose. Heck even
> the name "squeak" can be a problem in that respect.
>
> Keith

Re: Could we fix the web site

Brad Fuller-3
Cees de Groot wrote:

> Having said that, it's probably not a very good idea to start with a
> news section that links off-site :).

Agreed. It is changed. Links go to a new window (or tab, depending on
your browser.) And, dates are also visible (GMT)

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: Could we fix the web site

Brad Fuller-3
well... the squeaky wheel.... The front page of the website has been
updated from comments here.

(What I think we need is a PR team to come up with great evangelistic
ideas and coordinate messages with the web team, news team and doc team.)

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

RE: Could we fix the web site

Ron Teitelbaum
Hello all,

I fixed the typos.  (I stop reading the list for a few days and look what
happens!)

I have a couple of things to say.  First I am very aware of how important it
is to get the spelling right.  I once lost a very big contract because of a
typo when my explanation that nobody mentioned it and the software had
really been used for over a year was not accepted.

I am and remain a very bad speller.  I also have no sense of time.  People
that know when something happened amaze me.  Everything I remember feels
like yesterday to me.

I am using Firefox and it does have a nice spell checker, but I must have
used IE for this post.  I apologize for the typos.

With that out of the way I would also like to say that I am very interested
in any and all comments on the news articles that I have been posting.
Please feel free to let me know if you have a suggestion or criticism.  Also
if you notice a typo or grammatical error please let me know.  I promise not
to take offense.

Thanks for supporting the Web, Doc and News Teams!

Happy Squeaking,

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak News Team Member

Re: Could we fix the web site

Brad Fuller-3
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I fixed the typos.

Thanks for fixing!

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: Could we fix the web site

Stéphane Ducasse-3
Thanks ron.
No problem. my remark was that the web site should find a way to
protect itself
from news feed if we do not control their contents. Feeds are cool.
But I do not know if they
were included automatically (and I thought ok what's happen if a guy
write a totally silly point).
So clearly identifying this is a news and we do not control it could
be a way to solve that.

Stef

12345