In P7 scrpt variable to tmp when in debugger

123456

Re: Where do we go now ?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
BTW, why put an .exe installer for Windows available when it crashes right from the start? It just doesn't work at all.  Period.  For everyone.

And I thought looking for senders of a method was something we mastered a long time ago, like starting with Smalltalk-76.  Am I supposed to assume that everything, even basic functionalities, are all broken because it's labeled "alpha" ?

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
Instagram: Chef_Benito
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

On Friday, April 13, 2018, 5:20:28 a.m. EDT, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 13 Apr 2018, at 11:07, Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm on Windows 10, using Pharo 7.0 alpha 32 bit.

and btw… which part of ALPHA you do not get?

Esteban

Re: Where do we go now ?

EstebanLM
ok, you want to have the last word.
Go ahead.
You have it.

What you do not have is my attention anymore.

cheers!
Esteban

On 13 Apr 2018, at 11:26, Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Esteban

Re: Where do we go now ?

Marcus Denker-4

From: Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Where do we go now ?
Date: 13 April 2018 at 11:26:09 CEST
To: Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
Cc: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>

BTW, why put an .exe installer for Windows available when it crashes right from the start? It just doesn't work at all.  Period.  For everyone.

And I thought looking for senders of a method was something we mastered a long time ago, like starting with Smalltalk-76.  Am I supposed to assume that everything, even basic functionalities, are all broken because it's labeled "alpha” ?

We have already a issue tracker entry with a description of a fix:

TODO: turn that description into code and make a Pull Request.

Marcus

Re: Where do we go now ?

CyrilFerlicot
On 13/04/2018 11:26, Benoit St-Jean via Pharo-users wrote:

Do you expect a cleaning of the Kernel without any break during alpha
version?

This version introduce a new message browser, new Traits, more
modularization of the kernel and some cleaning of the Kernel. I see a
lot of reason why it might break during the alpha version.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Where do we go now ?

alistairgrant
On 13 April 2018 at 11:04, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 08:43, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I consider Pharo 7 as a great piece of kit but unusable for my current work. There are many new things to learn in there. When is too much too much? Also, simplifications are breaking things in unexpected ways (like the #atEnd thing).
>
> Phil,
>
> Nothing fundamental will break with #atEnd.
>
> What you are reading in pharo-dev is a constructive discussion that (for me at least) started with the desire to support one very special kind of stream (stdin in C terms), something 99.99% of Pharo users have never seen, used or heard of.

Completely agree (despite one of my later messages to Sven being
overly grumpy).  I've learnt a lot from this exchange.

Cheers,
Alistair

> Zn streams have worked well and as expected for Pharo versions going back to 3, that won't change.

Re: Where do we go now ?

Clément Béra

"Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss" [1]

Experiencing instability, crashes and data loss in the alpha version of a software, including Pharo alpha, is to be expected and nothing to be surprised about. The support of the Pharo stable version (currently 6.1) has significantly improved in the past year. Many fixes and enhancements were back-ported from Pharo 7 to Pharo 6.1. Based on your comments, it seems that you have issues because you are not using the version of Pharo that fits your needs (i.e. the stable version).

Checking the Pharo website [2], it seems there are no download links to the alpha version so far because it's not considered stable enough. Where did you get a link to download Pharo 7 alpha ?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Re: Where do we go now ?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
For those interested.

Created the issues 21686, 21693, 21695, 21696.

And more to come...

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
Instagram: Chef_Benito
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Where do we go now ?

Ben Coman

Re: Where do we go now ?

Joe Shirk
I've been a lurk-fan for a long time but this brings up something that distressed me. Richard Eng, Smalltalk Renaissance hero loves to say Smalltalk's grammar/syntax fits on a postcard.

But the vocabulary doesn't. There is nothing English-like about the always expanding bewildering   library namespaces.

GT what? Oh a newbie might eventually figure out it means Glamorous Toolkit. These are meaningless brands. In this drive to come up with creative names for "just objects" that explain nothing at all, Smalltalk is becoming like Java or PHP hell.
Just look at those examples through the eyes of a novice. The purity is nowhere to be found.
:(

Re: Where do we go now ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:19, Joe Shirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been a lurk-fan for a long time but this brings up something that distressed me. Richard Eng, Smalltalk Renaissance hero loves to say Smalltalk's grammar/syntax fits on a postcard.
>
> But the vocabulary doesn't. There is nothing English-like about the always expanding bewildering   library namespaces.
>
> GT what? Oh a newbie might eventually figure out it means Glamorous Toolkit. These are meaningless brands. In this drive to come up with creative names for "just objects" that explain nothing at all, Smalltalk is becoming like Java or PHP hell.
> Just look at those examples through the eyes of a novice. The purity is nowhere to be found.
> :(

You are right, but in 'the real world' it is no longer possible to reserve the nice, simple names for just one variant. The prefixes are a poor mans namespace mechanism. You have to read over them.

Inspector, EyeInspector, GTInspector, ...

I rather have cool alternatives and the development of new ideas than 'one ring to rule them all' or no/slow progress. Remember that we develop in a live system, changing things while testing them, this is often hard. Alternative subsystems help a lot.

aglynn42

Maybe I’m missing something, or maybe I’m not ‘everyone’, but I’ve only had a few problems with 32 bit Pharo 7 and Windows.  Btw Windows 10 “64 bit” is about as 64 bit as Windows 95 was 32 bit.  i.e. not very.  Most of the issues center around Moose, not the core Pharo.  But I’m only playing with Pharo 7, mainly on Linux where the latest image seems pretty stable.  My actual development is still on 61 (and in one case, 5.0 since it requires the old FFI).

M$ is supposed to fix the remains of 32 bit Windows next year, but we all know what ‘next year’ means to Microsoft, it’s forever ‘next year’.

As far as I understood, most of the development of Pharo 7 is focused on the 64 bit version in any case.  What’s missing from 61 that you absolutely have to have ATM?

Andrew

Esteban

Re: Where do we go now ?

aglynn42

Btw, in my fascination with messing around, the 32 bit version of Pharo 7 for Windows runs better on OS/2 v.5 (yes, it still exists, it was released last June).  Probably because its Win32 subsystem is more compatible with Win32 apps than Windows 10.

Andrew

Esteban

Re: Where do we go now ?

Marcus Denker-4

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:40, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:19, Joe Shirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been a lurk-fan for a long time but this brings up something that distressed me. Richard Eng, Smalltalk Renaissance hero loves to say Smalltalk's grammar/syntax fits on a postcard.
>>
>> But the vocabulary doesn't. There is nothing English-like about the always expanding bewildering   library namespaces.

The package names that just use the “project name” can be problematic… too many words. e.g. “Hiedra”? No idea. (there are ideas of how to improve, I will not list them here as this should
not turn into discussion about this issue).

The way we present packages (and their granularity) is not “right”.  Namespaces are a problem in addition…

So yes: we have a lot of thing to improve!
.
>> GT what? Oh a newbie might eventually figure out it means Glamorous Toolkit. These are meaningless brands. In this drive to come up with creative names for "just objects" that explain nothing at all, Smalltalk is becoming like Java or PHP hell.
>> Just look at those examples through the eyes of a novice. The purity is nowhere to be found.
>> :(
>
> You are right, but in 'the real world' it is no longer possible to reserve the nice, simple names for just one variant. The prefixes are a poor mans namespace mechanism. You have to read over them.
>
> Inspector, EyeInspector, GTInspector, ...
>
> I rather have cool alternatives and the development of new ideas than 'one ring to rule them all' or no/slow progress. Remember that we develop in a live system, changing things while testing them, this is often hard. Alternative subsystems help a lot.

It should be clear that what we have is what we managed to do, not what we dreamed about… I, too, would like to have this clean, nice, small, amazing system… but it is not always easy.

There is a lot we can (and will!) improve!

        Marcus

Re: Where do we go now ?

Richard O'Keefe
There are a lot of subsystems in Pharo, and being a bear of
very little brain, I have a hard time relating Zinc, Calypso,
&c &c to, well, whatever they are.  I presume there is
somewhere a list of topic/name/PFX triples for guidance.
Can some kind soul tell me where it is?

On 13 April 2018 at 23:01, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:40, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:19, Joe Shirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been a lurk-fan for a long time but this brings up something that distressed me. Richard Eng, Smalltalk Renaissance hero loves to say Smalltalk's grammar/syntax fits on a postcard.
>>
>> But the vocabulary doesn't. There is nothing English-like about the always expanding bewildering   library namespaces.

The package names that just use the “project name” can be problematic… too many words. e.g. “Hiedra”? No idea. (there are ideas of how to improve, I will not list them here as this should
not turn into discussion about this issue).

The way we present packages (and their granularity) is not “right”.  Namespaces are a problem in addition…

So yes: we have a lot of thing to improve!
.
>> GT what? Oh a newbie might eventually figure out it means Glamorous Toolkit. These are meaningless brands. In this drive to come up with creative names for "just objects" that explain nothing at all, Smalltalk is becoming like Java or PHP hell.
>> Just look at those examples through the eyes of a novice. The purity is nowhere to be found.
>> :(
>
> You are right, but in 'the real world' it is no longer possible to reserve the nice, simple names for just one variant. The prefixes are a poor mans namespace mechanism. You have to read over them.
>
> Inspector, EyeInspector, GTInspector, ...
>
> I rather have cool alternatives and the development of new ideas than 'one ring to rule them all' or no/slow progress. Remember that we develop in a live system, changing things while testing them, this is often hard. Alternative subsystems help a lot.

It should be clear that what we have is what we managed to do, not what we dreamed about… I, too, would like to have this clean, nice, small, amazing system… but it is not always easy.

There is a lot we can (and will!) improve!

        Marcus

Re: Where do we go now ?

Denis Kudriashov
With new Traits we have some issues which we are slowly fixing. Nice thing that fixes are quite simple and clean and covered by tests. I guess it was not like that before.
So Pablo did very good job here.

For this concrete case with implementors there is already issue 21652: the method allClassesAndTraits includes traits twice.

Re: Where do we go now ?

Peter Uhnak
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are a lot of subsystems in Pharo, and being a bear of
very little brain, I have a hard time relating Zinc, Calypso,
&c &c to, well, whatever they are.  I presume there is
somewhere a list of topic/name/PFX triples for guidance.
Can some kind soul tell me where it is?

Until we have mature package manager (similar to Cargo or npm), you have to use google.
On the bright side, with the move to git(hub), people are much more likely to actually describe what their project does, and maybe even a bit of documentation. This was almost non-existent with SmalltalkHub.

Peter

Re: Where do we go now ?

Ben Coman
Unfortunately there probably isn't one list.
Its hard to unlearn what is accumulated
and easy to take for granted what we know is obvious to everyone.
where newcomers can add items for others to fill in.

cheers -ben

On 13 April 2018 at 20:05, Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are a lot of subsystems in Pharo, and being a bear of
very little brain, I have a hard time relating Zinc, Calypso,
&c &c to, well, whatever they are.  I presume there is
somewhere a list of topic/name/PFX triples for guidance.
Can some kind soul tell me where it is?

On 13 April 2018 at 23:01, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:40, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:19, Joe Shirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been a lurk-fan for a long time but this brings up something that distressed me. Richard Eng, Smalltalk Renaissance hero loves to say Smalltalk's grammar/syntax fits on a postcard.
>>
>> But the vocabulary doesn't. There is nothing English-like about the always expanding bewildering   library namespaces.

The package names that just use the “project name” can be problematic… too many words. e.g. “Hiedra”? No idea. (there are ideas of how to improve, I will not list them here as this should
not turn into discussion about this issue).

The way we present packages (and their granularity) is not “right”.  Namespaces are a problem in addition…

So yes: we have a lot of thing to improve!
.
>> GT what? Oh a newbie might eventually figure out it means Glamorous Toolkit. These are meaningless brands. In this drive to come up with creative names for "just objects" that explain nothing at all, Smalltalk is becoming like Java or PHP hell.
>> Just look at those examples through the eyes of a novice. The purity is nowhere to be found.
>> :(
>
> You are right, but in 'the real world' it is no longer possible to reserve the nice, simple names for just one variant. The prefixes are a poor mans namespace mechanism. You have to read over them.
>
> Inspector, EyeInspector, GTInspector, ...
>
> I rather have cool alternatives and the development of new ideas than 'one ring to rule them all' or no/slow progress. Remember that we develop in a live system, changing things while testing them, this is often hard. Alternative subsystems help a lot.

It should be clear that what we have is what we managed to do, not what we dreamed about… I, too, would like to have this clean, nice, small, amazing system… but it is not always easy.

There is a lot we can (and will!) improve!

        Marcus

Re: Where do we go now ?

Esteban A. Maringolo
On 13/04/2018 09:05, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> There are a lot of subsystems in Pharo, and being a bear of
> very little brain, I have a hard time relating Zinc, Calypso,
> &c &c to, well, whatever they are.  I presume there is
> somewhere a list of topic/name/PFX triples for guidance.
> Can some kind soul tell me where it is?

I think it's not a matter of brain, and unless I also have a bear brain
I find it hard to know what each thing means, in particular when there
is a "flagship" framework (like Seaside) and the related
extensions/libraries are called something different instead of, it is
harder when the names are completely unrelated to the domain.

I've been thinking of collecting the package names, what they do, an
which class prefixes they use. But never had the willingness to actually
do it, maybe now is a good moment.

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: Where do we go now ?

Denis Kudriashov

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:40, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:19, Joe Shirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been a lurk-fan for a long time but this brings up something that distressed me. Richard Eng, Smalltalk Renaissance hero loves to say Smalltalk's grammar/syntax fits on a postcard.
>>
>> But the vocabulary doesn't. There is nothing English-like about the always expanding bewildering   library namespaces.

The package names that just use the “project name” can be problematic… too many words. e.g. “Hiedra”? No idea. (there are ideas of how to improve, I will not list them here as this should
not turn into discussion about this issue).

At some point we should force rule "All packages have comments". And indication with icon like we do for classes.
With Calypso the package comment is always available. So it would be easy to find description.

On 13/04/2018 09:18, Peter Uhnák wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     There are a lot of subsystems in Pharo, and being a bear of
>     very little brain, I have a hard time relating Zinc, Calypso,
>     &c &c to, well, whatever they are.  I presume there is
>     somewhere a list of topic/name/PFX triples for guidance.
>     Can some kind soul tell me where it is?

> Until we have mature package manager (similar to Cargo or npm), you have
> to use google.

Yes, there needs to be a package tool that enables discoverability,
Catalog is not enough.

> On the bright side, with the move to git(hub), people are much more
> likely to actually describe what their project does, and maybe even a
> bit of documentation. This was almost non-existent with SmalltalkHub.

True, and it's also giving visibility to Pharo and Smalltalk as active
technologies.

Regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo