looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

12

looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

EstebanLM

Hi,
finally, after two months of suffering, thanks to John, I managed to fix a huge bug on cocoa cog vms that was showing up on latest cog and cog mt versions.
Now, I think it is working pretty well, and with a good set of plugins:

internal plugins:
#(#ADPCMCodecPlugin #BMPReadWriterPlugin #BalloonEnginePlugin #BitBltSimulation #ClipboardExtendedPlugin #DSAPlugin #DeflatePlugin #DropPlugin #FFTPlugin #FilePlugin #FloatArrayPlugin #GeniePlugin #HostWindowPlugin #JPEGReadWriter2Plugin #JPEGReaderPlugin #KlattSynthesizerPlugin #LargeIntegersPlugin #Matrix2x3Plugin #MiscPrimitivePlugin #RePlugin #SecurityPlugin #SocketPlugin #SoundCodecPlugin #SoundGenerationPlugin #SoundPlugin #StarSqueakPlugin #SurfacePlugin)

external plugins:
#(#ThreadedIA32FFIPlugin #IA32ABIPlugin #UUIDPlugin #FloatMathPlugin #AsynchFilePlugin #SerialPlugin #Mpeg3Plugin #CroquetPlugin #JoystickTabletPlugin #MIDIPlugin #B3DAcceleratorPlugin #LocalePlugin)

I want to release a stable Cocoa VM version by this month, so I'm looking for some guys who can test it and provide me some feedback, in case something is wrong. So... please, use it!  :)

cheers,
Esteban

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

stephane ducasse-2

> Hi,
> finally, after two months of suffering, thanks to John, I managed to fix a huge bug on cocoa cog vms

can you tell us a bit more about it?

> internal plugins:
> #(#ADPCMCodecPlugin #BMPReadWriterPlugin #BalloonEnginePlugin #BitBltSimulation #ClipboardExtendedPlugin #DSAPlugin #DeflatePlugin #DropPlugin #FFTPlugin #FilePlugin #FloatArrayPlugin #GeniePlugin #HostWindowPlugin #JPEGReadWriter2Plugin #JPEGReaderPlugin #KlattSynthesizerPlugin #LargeIntegersPlugin #Matrix2x3Plugin #MiscPrimitivePlugin #RePlugin #SecurityPlugin #SocketPlugin #SoundCodecPlugin #SoundGenerationPlugin #SoundPlugin #StarSqueakPlugin #SurfacePlugin)
>
> external plugins:
> #(#ThreadedIA32FFIPlugin #IA32ABIPlugin #UUIDPlugin #FloatMathPlugin #AsynchFilePlugin #SerialPlugin #Mpeg3Plugin #CroquetPlugin #JoystickTabletPlugin #MIDIPlugin #B3DAcceleratorPlugin #LocalePlugin)
>
> I want to release a stable Cocoa VM version by this month, so I'm looking for some guys who can test it and provide me some feedback, in case something is wrong. So... please, use it!  :)

where can we find it?

> cheers,
> Esteban

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Igor Stasenko

On 19 May 2011 09:12, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi,
>> finally, after two months of suffering, thanks to John, I managed to fix a huge bug on cocoa cog vms
>
> can you tell us a bit more about it?
>
>> internal plugins:
>> #(#ADPCMCodecPlugin #BMPReadWriterPlugin #BalloonEnginePlugin #BitBltSimulation #ClipboardExtendedPlugin #DSAPlugin #DeflatePlugin #DropPlugin #FFTPlugin #FilePlugin #FloatArrayPlugin #GeniePlugin #HostWindowPlugin #JPEGReadWriter2Plugin #JPEGReaderPlugin #KlattSynthesizerPlugin #LargeIntegersPlugin #Matrix2x3Plugin #MiscPrimitivePlugin #RePlugin #SecurityPlugin #SocketPlugin #SoundCodecPlugin #SoundGenerationPlugin #SoundPlugin #StarSqueakPlugin #SurfacePlugin)
>>
>> external plugins:
>> #(#ThreadedIA32FFIPlugin #IA32ABIPlugin #UUIDPlugin #FloatMathPlugin #AsynchFilePlugin #SerialPlugin #Mpeg3Plugin #CroquetPlugin #JoystickTabletPlugin #MIDIPlugin #B3DAcceleratorPlugin #LocalePlugin)
>>
>> I want to release a stable Cocoa VM version by this month, so I'm looking for some guys who can test it and provide me some feedback, in case something is wrong. So... please, use it!  :)
>
> where can we find it?

On Hudson, where else? :)
But probably we could use some other place for stockpiling builds.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

EstebanLM

Hi,
yes... it is on hudson:

but when I declare a version as "stable" I will be copying it to squeakvm.org (just before the ANN :)

best,
Esteban

El 19/05/2011, a las 4:18a.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:

[...]

Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Esteban Lorenzano wrote
release a stable Cocoa VM version by this month, so I'm looking for some guys who can test it and provide me some feedback, in case something is wrong. So... please, use it!  :)
Thanks Esteban! A few questions:
* if I open and save an image with Cog, will I still be able to run it with the interpreter VM?
* I noticed several plugins which I use often - OSProcess, OSA (Applescript), Quicktime, FFI, and ObjectiveC - not listed; are there plans to eventually include these?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

EstebanLM

Hi Sean,
you can re-open a cog saved image with 5.4.7.1... otherwise, you are doom :)
about the plugins:

1) ffi is present, but not it is called different (anyway, if you call listLoadedModules after an FFI execution, you will read "SqueakFFIPrims"... is just the name of the class who changed)
2) I can add OSProcess and ObjectiveC without any problem (in fact OSProcess is working, I don't know why I didn't included before)
3) Quicktime... I will try :)
4) OSA... I don't know what is that :)

cheers,
Esteban

El 21/05/2011, a las 4:14p.m., Sean P. DeNigris escribió:

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> release a stable Cocoa VM version by this month, so I'm looking for some
>> guys who can test it and provide me some feedback, in case something is
>> wrong. So... please, use it!  :)
>>

> Thanks Esteban! A few questions:
> * if I open and save an image with Cog, will I still be able to run it with
> the interpreter VM?
> * I noticed several plugins which I use often - OSProcess, OSA
> (Applescript), Quicktime, FFI, and ObjectiveC - not listed; are there plans
> to eventually include these?
>
> Sean

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Esteban Lorenzano wrote
you can re-open a cog saved image with 5.4.7.1... otherwise, you are doom :)
So I could start with Cog and revert to using 5.4.7.1 if I ran into a problem? What is the status of 5.4.7.1 - is it all-around superior to 4.2.5? I'm only still using 4.2.5 because 5.4.7.1 also didn't seem to have most of the plugins that I use (my copy only seems to have OSProcess).

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
2) I can add OSProcess and ObjectiveC without any problem (in fact OSProcess is working, I don't know why I didn't included before)
Cool, with those I could start using Cog for much of my development...

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
3) Quicktime... I will try :)
4) OSA... I don't know what is that :)
These would be great. OSA is Mac's Open Scripting Architecture, which is used by the Applescript project (which I use a lot in my personal images). Maybe I can help porting. I started watching Mariano's VM screencast. Is that the best starting point?

Thanks again.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Igor Stasenko

Esteban,
i tried to use CogMTVM

and results are not so good.
Image hangs after running a while.

Maybe its because, i tried to enable multithreading by setting
Smalltalk processHasThreadIdInstVar: true.

In total, when running this VM i got 1 crash and 2 hangs.

@All:
Its okay, since they are new.. but we need to test better those VMs,
if we want to use them in future.

On 22 May 2011 05:03, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> you can re-open a cog saved image with 5.4.7.1... otherwise, you are doom
>> :)
>>

> So I could start with Cog and revert to using 5.4.7.1 if I ran into a
> problem? What is the status of 5.4.7.1 - is it all-around superior to 4.2.5?
> I'm only still using 4.2.5 because 5.4.7.1 also didn't seem to have most of
> the plugins that I use (my copy only seems to have OSProcess).
>

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> 2) I can add OSProcess and ObjectiveC without any problem (in fact
>> OSProcess is working, I don't know why I didn't included before)
>>
> Cool, with those I could start using Cog for much of my development...
>

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> 3) Quicktime... I will try :)
>> 4) OSA... I don't know what is that :)
>>
> These would be great. OSA is Mac's Open Scripting Architecture, which is
> used by the Applescript project (which I use a lot in my personal images).
> Maybe I can help porting. I started watching Mariano's VM screencast. Is
> that the best starting point?
>
> Thanks again.
> Sean

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban,
i tried to use CogMTVM

and results are not so good.
Image hangs after running a while.

The hangs was what indeed he solved with John last week. So....or you are using an old VM (or the changes were not commited) or the bug is still there  or it is a new bug.

Maybe its because, i tried to enable multithreading by setting
Smalltalk processHasThreadIdInstVar: true.

In total, when running this VM i got 1 crash and 2 hangs.

@All:
Its okay, since they are new.. but we need to test better those VMs,
if we want to use them in future.

That's test is exactly what Esteban was asking.

On 22 May 2011 05:03, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> you can re-open a cog saved image with 5.4.7.1... otherwise, you are doom
>> :)
>>

> So I could start with Cog and revert to using 5.4.7.1 if I ran into a
> problem? What is the status of 5.4.7.1 - is it all-around superior to 4.2.5?
> I'm only still using 4.2.5 because 5.4.7.1 also didn't seem to have most of
> the plugins that I use (my copy only seems to have OSProcess).
>

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> 2) I can add OSProcess and ObjectiveC without any problem (in fact
>> OSProcess is working, I don't know why I didn't included before)
>>
> Cool, with those I could start using Cog for much of my development...
>

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> 3) Quicktime... I will try :)
>> 4) OSA... I don't know what is that :)
>>
> These would be great. OSA is Mac's Open Scripting Architecture, which is
> used by the Applescript project (which I use a lot in my personal images).
> Maybe I can help porting. I started watching Mariano's VM screencast. Is
> that the best starting point?
>
> Thanks again.
> Sean

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> you can re-open a cog saved image with 5.4.7.1... otherwise, you are doom
> :)

So I could start with Cog and revert to using 5.4.7.1 if I ran into a
problem?

Yes

What is the status of 5.4.7.1 - is it all-around superior to 4.2.5?
I'm only still using 4.2.5 because 5.4.7.1 also didn't seem to have most of
the plugins that I use (my copy only seems to have OSProcess).

Be careful because for example in 5.4.7.1 I cannot use FFI.

Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> 3) Quicktime... I will try :)
> 4) OSA... I don't know what is that :)

These would be great. OSA is Mac's Open Scripting Architecture, which is
used by the Applescript project (which I use a lot in my personal images).
Maybe I can help porting. I started watching Mariano's VM screencast. Is
that the best starting point?

Thanks again.
Sean

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Be careful because for example in 5.4.7.1 I cannot use FFI.
Are there plans to build all the plugins for 5.4.7.1? If so, what is the timeline, if any?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Be careful because for example in 5.4.7.1 I cannot use FFI.

Are there plans to build all the plugins for 5.4.7.1? If so, what is the
timeline, if any?

I have no idea. But I admit I would like a cococa VM with latest plugins working also with non-cog.
So...having a 5.4.7.2 with new plugins and latest VMMaker would be cool.

We should ask Esteban.

Sean

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

EstebanLM

Yes... it will. Timeline? "sometime soon" :)
(sorry, I'm on my phone, I can't answer with more detail now. Tomorrow I'll explain better)

El 22/05/2011, a las 1:32p.m., Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Be careful because for example in 5.4.7.1 I cannot use FFI.

Are there plans to build all the plugins for 5.4.7.1? If so, what is the
timeline, if any?

I have no idea. But I admit I would like a cococa VM with latest plugins working also with non-cog.
So...having a 5.4.7.2 with new plugins and latest VMMaker would be cool.

We should ask Esteban.

Sean

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Esteban Lorenzano wrote
Yes... it will. Timeline? "sometime soon" :)
(sorry, I'm on my phone, I can't answer with more detail now. Tomorrow I'll explain better)
Okay thanks. Also, now that Cog is around, will the interpreter VM stick around indefinitely, or just until Cog is stable / widely adopted? IOW why wouldn't everyone just start using Cog?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.05.2011, at 22:22, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Also, now that Cog is around, will the interpreter VM stick
> around indefinitely, or just until Cog is stable / widely adopted?

I expect the interpreter to stick around, but see less use as time progresses.

> IOW why wouldn't everyone just start using Cog?

Cog cannot run old images. The current VM can still run Squeak 1.1 images. Some images are in production use for many years, there is no reason to change them.

Also, more complex VMs are harder to port to other systems. Cog is more complex than the Stack VM, which is more complex than the Interpreter VM. E.g. there is no ARM port of Cog yet, whereas Stack and Interpreter VMs do work.

- Bert -

On 22 May 2011 22:42, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22.05.2011, at 22:22, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>
>> Also, now that Cog is around, will the interpreter VM stick
>> around indefinitely, or just until Cog is stable / widely adopted?
>
> I expect the interpreter to stick around, but see less use as time progresses.
>
>> IOW why wouldn't everyone just start using Cog?
>
> Cog cannot run old images. The current VM can still run Squeak 1.1 images. Some images are in production use for many years, there is no reason to change them.
>
> Also, more complex VMs are harder to port to other systems. Cog is more complex than the Stack VM, which is more complex than the Interpreter VM. E.g. there is no ARM port of Cog yet, whereas Stack and Interpreter VMs do work.

Yes. And some platforms not allow to run JIT software, so stack vm is
the only choice there.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

EstebanLM

Hi Igor,
did you use latest compiled vm? as far a I see, your problem looks like the one John and I fixed. But... I did not try it with threadid enabled, I will test it awhile to see what happens there.

cheers,
Esteban

El 22/05/2011, a las 7:16a.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:

> Esteban,
> i tried to use CogMTVM
>
> and results are not so good.
> Image hangs after running a while.
>
> Maybe its because, i tried to enable multithreading by setting
> Smalltalk processHasThreadIdInstVar: true.
>
> In total, when running this VM i got 1 crash and 2 hangs.
>
> @All:
> Its okay, since they are new.. but we need to test better those VMs,
> if we want to use them in future.
>
> On 22 May 2011 05:03, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>>
>>> you can re-open a cog saved image with 5.4.7.1... otherwise, you are doom
>>> :)
>>>

>> So I could start with Cog and revert to using 5.4.7.1 if I ran into a
>> problem? What is the status of 5.4.7.1 - is it all-around superior to 4.2.5?
>> I'm only still using 4.2.5 because 5.4.7.1 also didn't seem to have most of
>> the plugins that I use (my copy only seems to have OSProcess).
>>

>> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>>
>>> 2) I can add OSProcess and ObjectiveC without any problem (in fact
>>> OSProcess is working, I don't know why I didn't included before)
>>>
>> Cool, with those I could start using Cog for much of my development...
>>

>> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) Quicktime... I will try :)
>>> 4) OSA... I don't know what is that :)
>>>
>> These would be great. OSA is Mac's Open Scripting Architecture, which is
>> used by the Applescript project (which I use a lot in my personal images).
>> Maybe I can help porting. I started watching Mariano's VM screencast. Is
>> that the best starting point?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>> Sean
>>
>> --

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

EstebanLM

> Also, more complex VMs are harder to port to other systems. Cog is more complex than the Stack VM, which is more complex than the Interpreter VM. E.g. there is no ARM port of Cog yet, whereas Stack and Interpreter VMs do work.

this is not completely true, IMHO. As I saw, platform dependent code between interpreter, stack and cog is exactly the same, so I don't see a reason why stack can't replace interpreter in all non jit-compliant platforms (like iOS).

What is definitively true, is the fact that there are a lot of machines who needs to use a 4.x series (in mac versions), and a lot of legacy code who will be using this "old" vm too... and because of this, 4.x series will be around a long time.
What I think it will be disappearing, before than the 4.x series is the 5.x series: this is "old" interpreter vm with cocoa platform code. Why? just because this emerging is more or less coexisting with cog/stack vms, and right now the unique use I can found for this is that the latest version (5.7.4.1) can open a cog saved image. So, people will use it while cog/stack vms are in "stabilization" phase, but right after that, I see no reason to keep it (if I'm wrong at this, please let me know).
I any case, I will be releasing 5.x series with plugins compiled, etc., as my timeline says, "sometime soon", and I will be releasing updated versions time to time :)

cheers,
Esteban

On 24.05.2011, at 15:09, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Also, more complex VMs are harder to port to other systems. Cog is more complex than the Stack VM, which is more complex than the Interpreter VM. E.g. there is no ARM port of Cog yet, whereas Stack and Interpreter VMs do work.
>
> this is not completely true, IMHO.

Which part is "not completely true"?

- Bert -

Re: looking for feedback on Cocoa Cog MT VM

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On 24.05.2011 15:17, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 24.05.2011, at 15:09, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Also, more complex VMs are harder to port to other systems. Cog is more complex than the Stack VM, which is more complex than the Interpreter VM. E.g. there is no ARM port of Cog yet, whereas Stack and Interpreter VMs do work.
>> this is not completely true, IMHO.
> Which part is "not completely true"?
>
> - Bert -
I'd guess the general statement "more complex VMs are harder to port".
Like you both noted, while absolute complexity is higher, porting Stack
and Interpreter VM's isn't much different from the platform point of view.
Cog is an entirely different beast of course :)

Cheers,
Henry
12