[squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

123

[squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Karl-19
I've been Webteam leader on the Squeak website for quite a few years,
and have now totally lost time to keep that work, so  Mars 31 I will
step down. It's been a fun and interesting experience to maintain the
website, ftp and mailing list.

I recommend that people interested in Squeaks web appearence join the
webteam and maybe lead the site into new and exiting areas.

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Raymond Asselin
Le 13/03/08, karl <[hidden email]> écrivait :

>I've been Webteam leader on the Squeak website for quite a few
years,
>and have now totally lost time to keep that work, so  Mars 31 I will
>step down. It's been a fun and interesting experience to maintain the
>website, ftp and mailing list.
>
>I recommend that people interested in Squeaks web appearence join
the
>webteam and maybe lead the site into new and exiting areas.
>

>Karl

You did a very good job thank you very much for your time

RE: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Ron Teitelbaum
Yes indeed thank you very much for your terrific service to the community!

Ron Teitelbaum

garduino
I also wants to thank you. The site is updated, interesting, complete and cool.

Thanks you.

2008/3/13, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

> Yes indeed thank you very much for your terrific service to the community!
>

>  Ron Teitelbaum

Ken Causey-3
While I'm sure Karl welcomes your thanks it seems like maybe you and
some others have missed the point.  Karl is not fishing for comments.
In the recent past he has repeatedly announced that he wishes to step
down from leading the website team and would like to find a replacement.
He has not gotten any replies.  He is now stating that he really is
leaving with a specific deadline (the end of this month) and it is now
really time for someone to step up and lead the website team for the
immediate future at the very least.

Ken

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 19:29 -0300, Germán Arduino wrote:

> I also wants to thank you. The site is updated, interesting, complete and cool.
>
> Thanks you.
>

> 2008/3/13, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:
> > Yes indeed thank you very much for your terrific service to the community!
> >

> >  Ron Teitelbaum

Janko Mivšek
Hi Squeakers,

I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping Squeak
community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.

Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience building up
and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some experience
how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations (SEO).

That experience can help to improve a bit otherwise already very rich
Squeak website. Other possibility for improvement is to upgrade
technology behind website and here I can again contribute with
Aida/Scribo CMS, which is a base for Aida's website and is currently in
intense development, just adding blog support. That way a Squeak website
will also be a show point of most advanced technology Squeakers have.
Which is good in my opinion for Squeak and Smalltalk promotion in general.

To conclude, I can contribute with maintaining content on one side but
also to upgrade the website technology to Aida/Scribo CMS, so that a
website will be modern, with fresh and relevant content and with all
things such site needs to have those days.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Brian Rice

On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Squeakers,
>
> I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping Squeak
> community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.
>
> Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience building
> up
> and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some
> experience
> how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations (SEO).

While SEO experience is an important skill for website management, I
think you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against
Seaside to be a serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO
tasks, and the Squeak website itself could certainly be improved in
that way, I fear that your solutions will inherently involve your
favorite hammer rather than working within Seaside (aka "what we
have") the ways it provides.

> That experience can help to improve a bit otherwise already very rich
> Squeak website. Other possibility for improvement is to upgrade
> technology behind website and here I can again contribute with
> Aida/Scribo CMS, which is a base for Aida's website and is currently
> in
> intense development, just adding blog support. That way a Squeak
> website
> will also be a show point of most advanced technology Squeakers have.
> Which is good in my opinion for Squeak and Smalltalk promotion in
> general.

Aida/Scribe CMS is the "most advanced technology Squeakers have"?
While it's probably quite good, I think you're revealing your self-
interest.

I don't want to debate which framework or approach to web development
is better (and neither do you, apparently, having made your choice and
vocalizing it constantly), but Squeak does have a CMS and it seems to
serve us as a community well enough to keep improving it. Seaside also
provides us with some very innovative approaches to web applications
development that it alone is good PR for the community.

> To conclude, I can contribute with maintaining content on one side but
> also to upgrade the website technology to Aida/Scribo CMS, so that a
> website will be modern, with fresh and relevant content and with all
> things such site needs to have those days.

I spend a lot of time with non-Smalltalkers who do web development,
and myself am currently working on web applications in a non-Smalltalk
(yet palatable) environment, so my bias is towards the perspective of
outsiders who are looking for open accessible information and
exposition of the Squeak community and its artifacts. I would offer my
candidacy as an alternative to your proposed deal in which you link
your volunteerism to lead with an "upgrade" of the site to the
application framework you author and self-promote.

I think the main "upgrade" we do need is for the Squeak Swiki, which
is many years old and doesn't help us with SEO at all, as I have
repeatedly found out while trying to google some solution for new
Squeakers. Aida could possibly help with that, but so could many other
choices. In any case, the answer is more about content and making
Squeak and Squeak information findable than any technology.

--
http://BrianTRice.com

Re: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Tapple Gao
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:48:29PM -0700, Brian T. Rice wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>
>> Hi Squeakers,
>>
>> I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping Squeak
>> community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.
>>
>> Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience building up
>> and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some experience
>> how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations (SEO).
>
> While SEO experience is an important skill for website management, I think
> you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against Seaside to be a
> serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO tasks, and the Squeak
> website itself could certainly be improved in that way, I fear that your
> solutions will inherently involve your favorite hammer rather than working
> within Seaside (aka "what we have") the ways it provides.

For what it's worth, practically none of the Squeak website uses Seaside:

- squeak.org uses Smallwiki, which has it's own web engine.
- swiki uses swiki, which uses PWS
- lists.squeakfoundation.org uses Mailman, a python tool
- bugs.squeak.org uses Mantis, a php tool
- map.squeak.org uses HttpView2
- people.squeakfoundation.org uses some php tool
- source.squeakfoundation.org uses SqueakSource, which uses
  seaside.

So, Seaside can't really be said to be "what we have"

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 17:58 -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> - people.squeakfoundation.org uses some php tool

Actually, to clarify people.squeakfoundation is an Advogato-like site
built on mod_virgule (in other words an Apache1.x module implemented in
C).

Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Igor Stasenko
On 14/03/2008, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 17:58 -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>  > - people.squeakfoundation.org uses some php tool
>

> Actually, to clarify people.squeakfoundation is an Advogato-like site
>  built on mod_virgule (in other words an Apache1.x module implemented in
>  C).

It's a quite unimpressive details.
Now i'm understand why  people.squeakfoundation.org so obscure with features.
No offense to anyone :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:48:29PM -0700, Brian T. Rice wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Squeakers,
>>>
>>> I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping
>>> Squeak
>>> community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.
>>>
>>> Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience
>>> building up
>>> and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some
>>> experience
>>> how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations
>>> (SEO).
>>
>> While SEO experience is an important skill for website management,
>> I think
>> you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against Seaside
>> to be a
>> serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO tasks, and
>> the Squeak
>> website itself could certainly be improved in that way, I fear that
>> your
>> solutions will inherently involve your favorite hammer rather than
>> working
>> within Seaside (aka "what we have") the ways it provides.
>
> For what it's worth, practically none of the Squeak website uses
> Seaside:
>
> - squeak.org uses Smallwiki, which has it's own web engine.

Not Smallwiki2/Pier? Huh, that's what I thought was there.

> - swiki uses swiki, which uses PWS
> - lists.squeakfoundation.org uses Mailman, a python tool
> - bugs.squeak.org uses Mantis, a php tool
> - map.squeak.org uses HttpView2
> - people.squeakfoundation.org uses some php tool
> - source.squeakfoundation.org uses SqueakSource, which uses
>  seaside.
>
> So, Seaside can't really be said to be "what we have"

Yeah, I'm aware of these, but it's helpful to see them presented as
such a group. Well then, maybe Aida is a step forward if Janko (or his
Aida users) can deliver and maintain what he seems to intend. But any
upgrades should start with the Swiki since it has a large amount of
content and isn't an externally-maintained piece of software (it's
effectively abandonware). I certainly won't say that I like or prefer
that these are all in various technologies, some grottier than others,
but information visibility should be the lead goal.

I *would* like SqueakSource to be MUCH more friendly to external
linking (some would say RESTful; I just want it SEO-friendly) but we'd
need to wrangle some effort in that direction (no one in charge of SqS
claims to have the time to do it yet).

In any case, we're talking about a pretty large effort for a community
of mostly part-time people.

--
http://BrianTRice.com

Brian T. Rice wrote:

> While SEO experience is an important skill for website management, I
> think you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against
> Seaside to be a serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO
> tasks, and the Squeak website itself could certainly be improved in that
> way, I fear that your solutions will inherently involve your favorite
> hammer rather than working within Seaside (aka "what we have") the ways
> it provides.

Yes, I'm offering to community a technology which author I am and I
don't see the reason why I shouldn't promote it? It runs on Squeak, it
clearly shows good results, so where you see the problem (except that
you are strong promoter of Seaside and obviously don't like competition
at all)? This is Squeak community, not only Seaside, neither Aida one.
Let we both offer to community the best we have. Best in terms of
experience and technology. And SEO results, by the way!

Janko

http://www.aidaweb.si

On 14/03/2008, Brian T. Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Yeah, I'm aware of these, but it's helpful to see them presented as
>  such a group. Well then, maybe Aida is a step forward if Janko (or his
>  Aida users) can deliver and maintain what he seems to intend. But any
>  upgrades should start with the Swiki since it has a large amount of
>  content and isn't an externally-maintained piece of software (it's
>  effectively abandonware). I certainly won't say that I like or prefer
>  that these are all in various technologies, some grottier than others,
>  but information visibility should be the lead goal.
>
>  I *would* like SqueakSource to be MUCH more friendly to external
>  linking (some would say RESTful; I just want it SEO-friendly) but we'd
>  need to wrangle some effort in that direction (no one in charge of SqS
>  claims to have the time to do it yet).
>
>  In any case, we're talking about a pretty large effort for a community

If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
stagnation and movement i choose movement.
If he haves enough time to commit himself to fully reworking site
content under new platform, it is only for a good, no matter what
platform it is.

P.S. i'd prefer seaside, because i know a little about it :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Nicolas Petton

Le vendredi 14 mars 2008 à 03:30 +0200, Igor Stasenko a écrit :

> [...]
> >  that these are all in various technologies, some grottier than others,
> >  but information visibility should be the lead goal.
> >
> >  I *would* like SqueakSource to be MUCH more friendly to external
> >  linking (some would say RESTful; I just want it SEO-friendly) but we'd
> >  need to wrangle some effort in that direction (no one in charge of SqS
> >  claims to have the time to do it yet).
> >
> >  In any case, we're talking about a pretty large effort for a community
> >  of mostly part-time people.
> >

> If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
> stagnation and movement i choose movement.
> If he haves enough time to commit himself to fully reworking site
> content under new platform, it is only for a good, no matter what
> platform it is.
>
> P.S. i'd prefer seaside, because i know a little about it :)
Actually, Aida is very easy to learn :)

Re: [squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Randal L. Schwartz

Igor> If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
Igor> stagnation and movement i choose movement.

+1

[squeak-dev] Re: I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Andreas.Raab
Igor Stasenko wrote:
> If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
> stagnation and movement i choose movement.

I would recommend spending two minutes to think about how to roll out
such a change and how to roll back if (god forbid) the job turns out too
big, the tool not suited, or the volunteer in question getting run over
by a bus. Only headless chickens move merely for the sake of movement ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Igor Stasenko
On 14/03/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>  > If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
>  > stagnation and movement i choose movement.
>

> I would recommend spending two minutes to think about how to roll out
>  such a change and how to roll back if (god forbid) the job turns out too
>  big, the tool not suited, or the volunteer in question getting run over
>  by a bus. Only headless chickens move merely for the sake of movement ;-)

Well, i hope Janko understands how hard it can be. And if he really
thinks that he capable to work things out, then why not. Nevertheless,
we have to put trust in people time to time :)
As i noticed, i'd vote for seasider, but if there is nobody else who
can commit enough time to remake site and support it, then what
choices do we have?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Re: I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Simon Michael
Hey all,

that's a nice list, Matthew. And the planets are running Venus, a python
blog aggregator. So we have a nice little collection going here.

I appreciate Janko's offer and I'm interested to see what he can come up
with as a demo, and if it's better, I'd vote to jump to it. Let the bar
be raised, and Seaside folks are free to raise it again!

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 14/03/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>  > If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
>>  > stagnation and movement i choose movement.
>>

>> I would recommend spending two minutes to think about how to roll out
>>  such a change and how to roll back if (god forbid) the job turns out too
>>  big, the tool not suited, or the volunteer in question getting run over
>>  by a bus. Only headless chickens move merely for the sake of movement ;-)
>>

> Well, i hope Janko understands how hard it can be. And if he really
> thinks that he capable to work things out, then why not. Nevertheless,
> we have to put trust in people time to time :)

Sure. But part of trusting him to work things out is to trust him to
come up with a plan that can address these issues, no? (and by "plan" I
mean nothing complicated - just a staging site so that people can have a
look at it and the board can decide when it's ready to go live)

> As i noticed, i'd vote for seasider, but if there is nobody else who
> can commit enough time to remake site and support it, then what
> choices do we have?

We have the choice of the status quo.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Igor Stasenko
On 14/03/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>  > On 14/03/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>  >>  > If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
>  >>  > stagnation and movement i choose movement.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> I would recommend spending two minutes to think about how to roll out
>  >>  such a change and how to roll back if (god forbid) the job turns out too
>  >>  big, the tool not suited, or the volunteer in question getting run over
>  >>  by a bus. Only headless chickens move merely for the sake of movement ;-)
>  >>
>  >
>  > Well, i hope Janko understands how hard it can be. And if he really
>  > thinks that he capable to work things out, then why not. Nevertheless,
>  > we have to put trust in people time to time :)
>

> Sure. But part of trusting him to work things out is to trust him to
>  come up with a plan that can address these issues, no? (and by "plan" I
>  mean nothing complicated - just a staging site so that people can have a
>  look at it and the board can decide when it's ready to go live)

Yes, i'm fully agree with that.

>  > As i noticed, i'd vote for seasider, but if there is nobody else who
>  > can commit enough time to remake site and support it, then what
>  > choices do we have?
>

> We have the choice of the status quo.

I really don't care (as well as 99.9% of others) what software
delivers content to my browser
as long as it does it fast and site looking good and convenient to
navigate/find required information. The list, provided by Matthew
perfectly reflects that.

I would really better consider about inviting a good web designer to
refresh 'face' of squeak than about what platform to choose for
content management.
We both know that things sell themselves better if they're eye candy :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

123