Alan Kay's EuroPython Keynote

123456

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Nicolas Cellier-3
Sorry, maybe i should not answer that on squeak-dev,
but if the GUI and native widgets are the only obstacles, why don't you show
them the free Dolphin version?
If you have commercial apps in mind, Dolphin licence price is not exagerated.

Nicolas

Le Vendredi 07 Juillet 2006 20:58, Dan Shafer a écrit :

> [...]
> firms like Apple and Disney. It's had IBM backing. Doesn't anyone in
> the Squeak community understand how a polished, modern user interface
> would help to sell their technology? Other than wxSqueak, which seems
> basically moribund [I disabused him of this notion in our
> conversation, but that was his finding on his own], there's nobody
> out there talking, thinking or working on a professional-looking UI
> for Squeak's IDE or for deployment of applications! What's going on
> there?"
>
> So I spent a couple of hours looking at the question he raised and
> what I *think* I learned is that because of the way Smalltalk
> implements graphics at some deep level beyond my ability to penetrate
> the image, modifying its basic UI to use a more modern and reactive
> user experience would be a major, major challenge. After 30+ years,
> there is no way to do native UI widgets (other than wxSqueak if and
> when it gets finalized and hopefully incorporated) let alone custom
> widgets that look polished and professional. I was able to determine
> that there appears to be a class (PNGReadWriter) that would
> facilitate the import of PNG images, e.g., to use as controls. With
> enough time and understanding, I could presumably figure out how to
> import a graphic (PNG or other) and make it behave like a button, but
> then getting it into an app layout would require another level of
> understanding.
>
> You get the idea. (And please don't spend time telling me how to do
> that particular task; I don't have the expertise or interest anyway.
> It was merely an illustration of what the problem appears to be.)
>
> I explained to my friend that Squeak has been used primarily for
> research and education, not for the creation and deployment of
> commercial applications where a standardized platform-specific UI was
> important. For him, that's a reason to avoid Squeak altogether.
>
> So with that (probably overly long) background, I can ask my
> question, on my friend's behalf.
>
> Why, after 30 years, does Squeak still appear to be a non-standard,
> almost toy-like user experience in the IDE? Is it the case that
> changing that would be far too complex to undertake? Or is it that
> the community of Squeak users just isn't largely motivated to worry
> about this subject? Or is the absence of an economic incentive the
> problem? Or IS there a problem?
>
> Thanks for any wisdom you can share. This is one of the two big
> objections I *always* get when I recommend someone look at Squeak as
> a possible solution to a problem for which it appears to me to be
> ideally suited linguistically and architecturally.
>
> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
> Dan Shafer
> Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
> "Looking at technology from every angle"

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Nicolas,

> Apart lack of keyboard shortcuts (at least standard ones) that are breaking
> productivity, one thing that would mostly afraid someone having classical end
> user applications in mind is the halo handles... What are these handles
> usefull for end users? Are they just there so the end user can break the UI?
> I perfectly understand negative reactions.

  Of course these handles are useful for end users who are doing
eToys^^;

  Other than that, there is a package called "Lockdown" by Ned.  This
may not work with latest Squeak versions, but you'll see the idea.

http://map.squeak.org/package/0c6d3bda-adbb-496a-ae84-8d4c145d14b5

-- Yoshiki

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
I think the problem here is that the audience I have in mind are
developers but who must: (a) feel some comfort level with the tool
they use; and (b) who are concerned that the unusual user experience
of the Squeak IDE presages such unusualness in their developed
applications. SO the line is not so nearly clean as you interpret or
as I may have mistakenly led you to believe.

Dan

On Jul 7, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> [...]
>> projects and contracts using Squeak from people with pre-conceived
>> ideas about what an application looks like.
>>
>> Short of true native platform widgets, I think it's safe to say that
>> the vast, vast majority of computer users are accustomed to certain
>> kinds of shapes for certain kinds of objects and that when we vary
>> from those standards, we'd better have a really good reason for
>> asking them to pay attention to our interface rather than to the task
>> they are trying to accomplish. I don't know if that's "manly" gray
>> metal or rainbow gradients or just round-cornered rectangles with
>> default buttons flagged somehow. The point is that it is NOT the UI
>> one finds in Squeak today.
>>
>>> 2.  What is THE "standard"?  Microsoft?  What, then, when Microsoft
>>> changes its look again?  Are they then "non-standard" or their
>>> followers?
>>
>> Again, I think it's less an issue of choosing a standard than it is
>> of choosing a UI experience that maps to the user's established
>> expectations.
>>
>>> 2b.  Do you remember this rubbish, "All windows programs look alike
>>> therefore once you've learned one you've learned them all.."?
>>
>> Yeah, only I heard it said about Mac programs. Same rubbish, though.
>>
>>> 3.  Even if it can be "offically" labelled "toy like," what is
>> wrong
>>> with that?  Too wimpy-looking?  What's wrong with wimpy-looking as
>>> long
>>> as its easy and functional?
>>
>> Sorry to keep beating the dead horse here, but the issue is that it
>> is toy-like *compared to user expectations* set up by other programs.
>> I find the EToys UI refreshing. My potential clients and colleagues
>> whom I wish to interest in Squeak just don't.
>>
>>> 4.  Speaking of wimpy, someone (not you) once suggested "Squeak"
>> was a
>>> wimpy-sounding name, what do you think of "KA-POW!"?
>>>
>> LOL. I think Squeak is a weird name for a programming language. But
>> not weirder than C or Java or Ruby.

>> as
>>>
>>> So I guess this group sets its priorities to building something, as
>>> you
>>> said, "ideally suited linguistically and architecturally".  They
>>> haven't spent as much time playing endlessly with colors, shadows,
>>> gradients, only to please the latest group of popularist
>>> superficialites who'll be gone as soon as the next Wired article
>> tells
>>> them where they need to go next to be cool.  Whew, sorry to say
>> that,
>>> at least you have my honesty.
>>>
>> I am at least somewhat sympathetic to your thinking here, Chris. All
>> I'm really trying to do is find answers that will satisfy and/or make
>> sense to the great majority of people who've had their user
>> experience expectations shaped by the market.
>>
>> Dan

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hi all,

> What is more important is feel.
I agree.
Feel is dependent of content.

When we think in changes (and paths to the future,
 e.g. trying to invent it) without considering
 the peculiarities of Smalltalk, we leave the
 "important contents" to follow the other's popularity.

Smalltalk as a marginal media/support can´t be
 used to follow/replicate the "natural path" of
 popular media/dev-support/language.

IMHO, it is neccesary to identify, reflect and
 do efforts in propagate the peculiarities of smalltalk
 to let it continue been diferent to popular media.
If we do not make efforts in preserving the
 differences; the "identity" of smalltalk will be
 missing when the creators dissapear.

The "revival" and reinforcement of peculiarities
 must be in hands of young people but directed
 by master followers (directed by education
 and not by money IMO) to be sustainable
 in the medium/long term.

I think that the word "community" is not
 important and we must not force to get
 aComunity now, because there are
 more efforts to make in local and regional
 areas to produce celular groups capable
 to promote and re-create an advance in O.T.
 using Smalltalk as a starting media/point

cheers,
Ale.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

timrowledge

On 7-Jul-06, at 2:45 PM, Daniel Poon wrote:

> +1
>
> UI widgets are a solved problem. It is part of the operating
> system. Like writing a file system is done, writing UI widgets is
> done too.

Now that I have to disagree with. There is no OS/GUI /platform that I
have so much as heard rumours of that qualify as having 'solved UI
widgets'. They are all sufficiently steeped in effluvium as to smell
bad.

I don't think filing systems are 'done ' either; certainly microsoft
hasn't managed to finish that damn big file system it's been
promising RSN since I first moved to the US in 91. Unix is not
exactly a shining example either.

Just because lots (all?) of the current commercial platforms do
something  doesn't mean it is a good - or even acceptable - idea.

tim
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Nicolas Cellier-3
Hi Yoshiki

Le Vendredi 07 Juillet 2006 23:59, Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :

>   Nicolas,
>
> > Apart lack of keyboard shortcuts (at least standard ones) that are
> > breaking productivity, one thing that would mostly afraid someone having
> > classical end user applications in mind is the halo handles... What are
> > these handles usefull for end users? Are they just there so the end user
> > can break the UI? I perfectly understand negative reactions.
>
>   Of course these handles are useful for end users who are doing
> eToys^^;
>
>   Other than that, there is a package called "Lockdown" by Ned.  This
> may not work with latest Squeak versions, but you'll see the idea.
>
> http://map.squeak.org/package/0c6d3bda-adbb-496a-ae84-8d4c145d14b5
>
> -- Yoshiki

+1
halos can be deactivated...

I already knew that, but what i mean is that halos are one of the first thing
a decision maker will notice, and that's not in the favour of Squeak.
(one having something like a classical business end-user application in mind
for example, not an EToys application).

And unfortunately, even if this point can be solved, this is not the only GUI
problem.

The question is not "can squeak respond to these requirements or not?",
obviously it cannot yet.
The question is rather "should Squeak target these applications or not?"
Knowing that some commercial Smalltalk address this problem better, this is
more a strategic or political question.

Nicolas

Re: Alan Kay's Relevance

stéphane ducasse-2

> I say: "Alan Kay for President!"

Of what? Of Etoy?
Alan got nice ideas in the past, but I think that Smalltalk is still
really relevant.
now are these ideas the ones you want to build your software?

Stef

PS: I do not like coke even if million people drink it. So mindshare
is one aspect
but not all the aspects, else why aren't all developing in VB because
VB is way much
more used than Python and VB is dynamic.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse-2
> Please don't read this message if you don't have time or
> inclination for a quasi-philosophical ramble down Smalltalk Lane.
> I'm posting this here to share some experiences I doubt are new or
> unique but which I haven't seen discussed here in the many months
> I've been back on the list.
>
> I have been involved in Smalltalk on and off for a good many years.
> It keeps calling me back, like the Sirens, whenever I go in search
> of a new tool because the one I'm engaged in at that moment falls
> short or disappoints or just annoys me. As a result of this on-
> again, off-again love affair with Smalltalk and Squeak, I'm far
> from as proficient a coder or knowledgeable a designer as I would
> certainly be by now if I'd stayed put here. But I haven't been able
> to do that, for a host of reasons that are mostly boring and unique
> so I won't relate them here.
>
> Today I had a conversation with a colleague and friend I had
> referred to Squeak as a possible solution to a specific set of
> problems he is working on for a client. He spent a full day
> exploring Squeak and he came back with an observation that I found
> difficult to answer. "Why," he asked me in all sincerity, "is
> Squeak so ugly? Smalltalk has been around 30 years. It's been in
> the hands of great design firms like Apple and Disney. It's had IBM
> backing. Doesn't anyone in the Squeak community understand how a
> polished, modern user interface would help to sell their
> technology? Other than wxSqueak, which seems basically moribund [I
> disabused him of this notion in our conversation, but that was his
> finding on his own], there's nobody out there talking, thinking or
> working on a professional-looking UI for Squeak's IDE or for
> deployment of applications! What's going on there?"

> So I spent a couple of hours looking at the question he raised and
> what I *think* I learned is that because of the way Smalltalk
> implements graphics at some deep level beyond my ability to
> penetrate the image, modifying its basic UI to use a more modern
> and reactive user experience would be a major, major challenge.
> After 30+ years, there is no way to do native UI widgets (other
> than wxSqueak if and when it gets finalized and hopefully
> incorporated) let alone custom widgets that look polished and
> professional. I was able to determine that there appears to be a
> class (PNGReadWriter) that would facilitate the import of PNG
> images, e.g., to use as controls. With enough time and
> understanding, I could presumably figure out how to import a
> graphic (PNG or other) and make it behave like a button, but then
> getting it into an app layout would require another level of
> understanding.

Have you look at Dolphin Smalltalk

> You get the idea. (And please don't spend time telling me how to do
> that particular task; I don't have the expertise or interest
> anyway. It was merely an illustration of what the problem appears
> to be.)
>
> I explained to my friend that Squeak has been used primarily for
> research and education, not for the creation and deployment of
> commercial applications where a standardized platform-specific UI
> was important. For him, that's a reason to avoid Squeak altogether.
>
> So with that (probably overly long) background, I can ask my
> question, on my friend's behalf.
>
> Why, after 30 years, does Squeak still appear to be a non-standard,
> almost toy-like user experience in the IDE? Is it the case that
> changing that would be far too complex to undertake? Or is it that
> the community of Squeak users just isn't largely motivated to worry
> about this subject? Or is the absence of an economic incentive the
> problem? Or IS there a problem?

Lack of software engineering.
Demo driven development.
Disconnection from good practices (refactoring, tests, code cleaning).

Does it ring the bell?

My point is that this is not link with Smalltalk but how people
manage the code.

> Thanks for any wisdom you can share. This is one of the two big
> objections I *always* get when I recommend someone look at Squeak
> as a possible solution to a problem for which it appears to me to
> be ideally suited linguistically and architecturally.
>
> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
> Dan Shafer
> Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
> "Looking at technology from every angle"

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse-2

> Maybe we need to take Alan Kay up on his idea that Squeak should be
> terminated and start over so we don't feel like it is such a
> monumental chore to refactor Morphic into what we want it to be.
>
> It might be better if Squeak had no UI -- then people wouldn't judge
> it so quickly.

Exact!

Now the point is what will we invent next.
Slowly and stepwise we can build our future.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Trygve
First, let's give credit where credit is due. There is plenty to go around...

Doug Engelbart coined the term "computer augmentation"; the idea to use
computers to augment the human brain rather than replace it. Doug was also
the first to split the screen into windows. The first mouse papent is in
his name. He has conceived the Bootstrap Institute to further his lifelong
goal of boosting individual and organizational ability to better address
problems that are complex and urgent... See www.bootstrap.org

There is a great deal of credit left to Alan Kay and the Xerox PARC
community. Personal computers, overlapping windows, the holy grail of the
"Dynabook"...

To me, the most significant Smalltalk innovation is the notion of a stored
program object computer, making relection a first class citizen in its
programming universe. I started my professional career programming stored
program binary computers, coding in binary and assembly. I used reflective
programming extensively and with great success, but lost this capability
when I migrated to FORTRAN and only regained it more then 10 years later
with Smalltalk. People talk about the "Smalltalk programming language", but
this language is merely a feature of its class library. It can be augmented
with other, higher level languages without breaking the image. Great and
rewarding fun!

This brings up what I believe is the greatest stumbling block that meets
Squeak novices: The class library. Squeak shares this problem with all
other programming languages, see this eloquent article by Dave Thomas: "The
Deplorable State of Class Libraries", in Journal of Object Technology
http://www.jot.fm/issues/issue_2002_05/column2.
A group of dedicated people are busy cleaning up the Squeak library. (Stef,
Marcus, ...) This is very hard and sometimes very unrewarding work. But
keep it up -- it is extremely important.

I see Squeak as a wonderful laboratory where hundreds of professional and
amateur researchers can explore, share and test new ideas. My nightmare is
that it should become a mainstream professional IDE prematurely. The need
for "backward compatibility" could then be overwhelming, effectively
hindering innovation. Send the application developers to Dolphin for the
time being and permit the next Squeak version be incomatible with the last.

Cheers
--Trygve

--

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

news.gmane.org-2
tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 7-Jul-06, at 2:45 PM, Daniel Poon wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> UI widgets are a solved problem. It is part of the operating system.
>> Like writing a file system is done, writing UI widgets is done too.
>
> Now that I have to disagree with. There is no OS/GUI /platform that I
> have so much as heard rumours of that qualify as having 'solved UI
> widgets'. They are all sufficiently steeped in effluvium as to smell bad.
>
> I don't think filing systems are 'done ' either; certainly microsoft
> hasn't managed to finish that damn big file system it's been promising
> RSN since I first moved to the US in 91. Unix is not exactly a shining
> example either.
>
> Just because lots (all?) of the current commercial platforms do
> something  doesn't mean it is a good - or even acceptable - idea.

Hi Tim

I am defining "done" as "Part of mainstream computing and a problem that
I don't have to think about anymore. I can use what is there".

I am sure there is still work to be done on UI widgets, but that does
not affect me as a consumer of those widgets. Same goes for file systems.

Like I stated in my last post, that just my perspective as a commercial
user of Smalltalk.

Now what is not "done" according to my definition? Seaside? Spoon?
Exupury? Image based IDE?

Regards

Daniel

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Philippe Marschall
> Why does the mouse wheel does not scroll lists but instead flash?

This actually works for me. (Linux, X.org 7.0 evdev, usb-mouse).

> Did you really try to copy/paste text from squeak to another application et
> vice et versa? switching from ALT+C to CTRL+V, or the contrary is really is
> gymnastic for user hands and brain... That is obviously why a little bit of
> standardization does not harm.

There's a preference #swapControlAndAltKeys that makes CTRL + C and
CTRL + V and CTRL + F work as you expect them you (there is or was at
least a VM option too IIRC).

Philippe

On 8-Jul-06, at 1:37 AM, Daniel Poon wrote:

> I am defining "done" as "Part of mainstream computing and a problem
> that I don't have to think about anymore. I can use what is there".

I claim that is a completely pointless mis-definition.

> I am sure there is still work to be done on UI widgets, but that
> does not affect me as a consumer of those widgets. Same goes for
> file systems.

Good grief, it's not merely 'ui widgets' that need work but the
entire concept of ui. And filing system. Your statement is similar to
the claim that there is no more science to be done.

tim
I am still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
INteresting perspective, Trygve, and one that appears to have held
sway in the world of Smalltalk for a long, long time.

"Don't let the paint dry just yet, we're still inventing!" But THIRTY
YEARS???!!!

A few people have suggested, on this list and off, that I refer my
friends and colleagues to Dolphin Smalltalk (and, on OSX, to Ambrai
Smalltalk, which isn't nearly as far along yet). But one of the
reasons Smalltalk is in contention as a language for these projects
is its cross-platform nature. I don't want to give that up.

I've been around the fringes of this stuff for more years than I'd
like to admit. I've written several books on it. I've helped write
two major systems in it. I'm kindly disposed toward it. AND, I know
what a huge undertaking it would be to fork off a variant that would
address the specific issues I think need addressing and an even
bigger job trying then to maintain compatibility with the forward
movement of Squeak. Yes, I know I could even build a specialized
vocabulary/language on top of Squeak and completely alter the UI. I
know others have done that. But my friends and colleagues and clients
have problems today that need solutions today. It is just so
frustrating to me that after so many years, Saueak remains a
laboratory, an exploration, a learning experience. I am too old to
start over!

Dan

On Jul 8, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> I see Squeak as a wonderful laboratory where hundreds of
> professional and amateur researchers can explore, share and test
> new ideas. My nightmare is that it should become a mainstream
> professional IDE prematurely. The need for "backward compatibility"
> could then be overwhelming, effectively hindering innovation. Send
> the application developers to Dolphin for the time being and permit
> the next Squeak version be incomatible with the last.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse-2
Dan
I can understand and I'm sorry that we have nothing to offer.
But may be you could check vwxWidgets or the GTK binding and start
from there.

Stef

On 8 juil. 06, at 20:25, Dan Shafer wrote:

> INteresting perspective, Trygve, and one that appears to have held
> sway in the world of Smalltalk for a long, long time.
>
> "Don't let the paint dry just yet, we're still inventing!" But
> THIRTY YEARS???!!!
>
> A few people have suggested, on this list and off, that I refer my
> friends and colleagues to Dolphin Smalltalk (and, on OSX, to Ambrai
> Smalltalk, which isn't nearly as far along yet). But one of the
> reasons Smalltalk is in contention as a language for these projects
> is its cross-platform nature. I don't want to give that up.
>
> I've been around the fringes of this stuff for more years than I'd
> like to admit. I've written several books on it. I've helped write
> two major systems in it. I'm kindly disposed toward it. AND, I know
> what a huge undertaking it would be to fork off a variant that
> would address the specific issues I think need addressing and an
> even bigger job trying then to maintain compatibility with the
> forward movement of Squeak. Yes, I know I could even build a
> specialized vocabulary/language on top of Squeak and completely
> alter the UI. I know others have done that. But my friends and
> colleagues and clients have problems today that need solutions
> today. It is just so frustrating to me that after so many years,
> Saueak remains a laboratory, an exploration, a learning experience.
> I am too old to start over!
>
> Dan
>
> On Jul 8, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:
>
>> I see Squeak as a wonderful laboratory where hundreds of
>> professional and amateur researchers can explore, share and test
>> new ideas. My nightmare is that it should become a mainstream
>> professional IDE prematurely. The need for "backward
>> compatibility" could then be overwhelming, effectively hindering
>> innovation. Send the application developers to Dolphin for the
>> time being and permit the next Squeak version be incomatible with
>> the last.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
Stef....

On Jul 8, 2006, at 12:43 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> I can understand and I'm sorry that we have nothing to offer.

I certainly wouldn't go THAT far! For example, I'm spending some
serious time with Seaside this weekend. I need a Web app framework
for a series of upcoming projects. For those projects, native widget
look-and-feel is absolutely irrelevant. I like the architectural
ideas behind Seaside but I'm still at the very early learning stage,
so I'm not yet sure it's as usable and powerful as, e.g., Django
(Python) or TurboWidgets (also Python strangely enough). I've tried
Ruby on Rails and found it too opaque although extremely powerful.

> But may be you could check vwxWidgets or the GTK binding and start
> from there.

I've been in touch with Rob on wxSqueak and have done some
experimenting with it on OS X. I plan to get it running on Windows
soon and see how it looks and feels there. That may be the ultimate
solution for a lot of what i want to do on the desktop, but for the
near term, that won't satisfy my clients and colleagues because the
wxSqueak stuff isn't yet ready to release.

Dan (Still a Squeakin')

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Cees De Groot
On 7/8/06, Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That may be the ultimate
> solution for a lot of what i want to do on the desktop, but for the
> near term, that won't satisfy my clients and colleagues because the
> wxSqueak stuff isn't yet ready to release.

Why not? Did you test it? Find issues?

I used it for a project last year, and whatever problems we had, they
weren't wx-related...

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
Cees.....

I am going by what Rob said about it. He advised me not to rely on it
for a project just yet, but I think he's actively working on it again.

Your news is encouraging. Perhaps Rob is being overly cautious.

Dan

On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Cees De Groot wrote:

> On 7/8/06, Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That may be the ultimate
>> solution for a lot of what i want to do on the desktop, but for the
>> near term, that won't satisfy my clients and colleagues because the
>> wxSqueak stuff isn't yet ready to release.
>>
> Why not? Did you test it? Find issues?
>
> I used it for a project last year, and whatever problems we had, they
> weren't wx-related...

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Rob Gayvert
Dan,

My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5), and the
Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5 release
(coming RSN) will work well on all three platforms.

As for all of the other discussion about wx/gtk/Spoon, I liked Cees'
response the best: Why one UI? There are pros and cons to any UI
toolkit, so the more options there are for Squeak, the more
opportunities there will be to use it. My goal with wxSqueak has been to
  keep it compatible with the latest release of Squeak, with minimal VM
changes, and maybe eventually no VM changes at all. And ultimately, it
should work fine with Spoon. But I think it should always be an add-on
package to some Squeak/Spoon core.

.. Rob

Dan Shafer wrote:

> Cees.....
>
> I am going by what Rob said about it. He advised me not to rely on it
> for a project just yet, but I think he's actively working on it again.
>
> Your news is encouraging. Perhaps Rob is being overly cautious.
>
> Dan
>
> On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Cees De Groot wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/06, Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That may be the ultimate
>>> solution for a lot of what i want to do on the desktop, but for the
>>> near term, that won't satisfy my clients and colleagues because the
>>> wxSqueak stuff isn't yet ready to release.
>>>
>> Why not? Did you test it? Find issues?
>>
>> I used it for a project last year, and whatever problems we had, they
>> weren't wx-related...

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
Rob....

Good to hear from you again here.

I agree; no need to stay with one UI, whatever it is. I'm anxious to
get the wx stuff working because I want to turn my attention then to
creating a graphical IDE for the construction of windows using the wx
widgets. A direct-manipulation IDE is something I sorely miss in
Smalltalk.

Dan
On Jul 8, 2006, at 4:50 PM, Rob Gayvert wrote:

> Dan,
>
> My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
> wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5),
> and the Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5
> release (coming RSN) will work well on all three platforms.
>
> As for all of the other discussion about wx/gtk/Spoon, I liked
> Cees' response the best: Why one UI? There are pros and cons to any
> UI toolkit, so the more options there are for Squeak, the more
> opportunities there will be to use it. My goal with wxSqueak has
> been to  keep it compatible with the latest release of Squeak, with
> minimal VM changes, and maybe eventually no VM changes at all. And
> ultimately, it should work fine with Spoon. But I think it should
> always be an add-on package to some Squeak/Spoon core.
>
> .. Rob
>
> Dan Shafer wrote:
>> Cees.....
>> I am going by what Rob said about it. He advised me not to rely on
>> it  for a project just yet, but I think he's actively working on
>> it again.
>> Your news is encouraging. Perhaps Rob is being overly cautious.
>> Dan

>>> Why not? Did you test it? Find issues?
>>>
>>> I used it for a project last year, and whatever problems we had,
>>> they
>>> weren't wx-related...

123456