Alan Kay's EuroPython Keynote

123456

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse-2

On 8 juil. 06, at 22:55, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Stef....
>
> On Jul 8, 2006, at 12:43 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> I can understand and I'm sorry that we have nothing to offer.
>
> I certainly wouldn't go THAT far! For example, I'm spending some
> serious time with Seaside this weekend. I need a Web app framework
> for a series of upcoming projects. For those projects, native
> widget look-and-feel is absolutely irrelevant. I like the
> architectural ideas behind Seaside but I'm still at the very early
> learning stage, so I'm not yet sure it's as usable and powerful as,
> e.g., Django (Python) or TurboWidgets (also Python strangely
> enough). I've tried Ruby on Rails and found it too opaque although
> extremely powerful.

In which sense: fast results when starting with? May be one guy
should release the Seaside on Rails he did. My impression with Ror
is that it is fast but then.

Have a look at netstyle.ch projects:
        - www.prolife.ch
        - www.squeaksource.com
for the public ones

or www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/pier/

did you look at www.dabbledb.com/utr
because this is a really cool seaside application.

BTW you can also use VW: it is platform independent and have Seaside
too.

>> But may be you could check vwxWidgets or the GTK binding and start
>> from there.
>
> I've been in touch with Rob on wxSqueak and have done some
> experimenting with it on OS X. I plan to get it running on Windows
> soon and see how it looks and feels there. That may be the ultimate
> solution for a lot of what i want to do on the desktop, but for the
> near term, that won't satisfy my clients and colleagues because the
> wxSqueak stuff isn't yet ready to release.
>
> Dan (Still a Squeakin')

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Hilaire Fernandes-5

Rob Gayvert a écrit :
> Dan,
>
> My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
> wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5), and the
> Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5 release

I noted the Linux version is a bit slow (I cannot compare to the other
version).
Is it related to Squeak or is related to wxWidget?

At least in the Linux  version, AFAIK, with wxWidget you have two levels
of indirection:
 wxWidget <--> GTK+ <-->Xlib
It may also explain why it seems slow.

Nevertheless the wxWdiget is a far more complete set of widget than GTK+
 and it has quite a good native look and fell, which is quite important
for end users experience.

> (coming RSN) will work well on all three platforms.
>
> As for all of the other discussion about wx/gtk/Spoon, I liked Cees'
> response the best: Why one UI? There are pros and cons to any UI
> toolkit, so the more options there are for Squeak, the more
> opportunities there will be to use it. My goal with wxSqueak has been to

Hum, in theory this is absolutely right. Practically what we have now is
zero reliable solution for a UI widgetery. I am not bashing on what you
and Bruno are doing, it is just to recall doing one thing right is just
more easy than doing two things right. Is it not common sense?

Adopting officially for squeak.org roadmap one widgetery, will
definitively help a lot to do this one right and reliable. Of course it
does not prevent for alternative widgetery.

Then we could wonder why those professional Smalltalk vendors does only
provide one set of widgetery. After all with their resources, they could
provide a set of different widgeteries. Oh but may be there are doing so.

How do fell other about getting one UI widgetery mainstream in Squeak.org?

>  keep it compatible with the latest release of Squeak, with minimal VM
> changes, and maybe eventually no VM changes at all. And ultimately, it
> should work fine with Spoon. But I think it should always be an add-on
> package to some Squeak/Spoon core.
>
> .. Rob

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

news.gmane.org-2
Hi Rob

Last time we talked, you told me that you were using wxSqueak as a
target platform for a legacy VSE application. Are you able to say how
that port is going?

Cheers

Daniel Poon

Rob Gayvert wrote:

> Dan,
>
> My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
> wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5), and the
> Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5 release
> (coming RSN) will work well on all three platforms.
>
> As for all of the other discussion about wx/gtk/Spoon, I liked Cees'
> response the best: Why one UI? There are pros and cons to any UI
> toolkit, so the more options there are for Squeak, the more
> opportunities there will be to use it. My goal with wxSqueak has been to
>  keep it compatible with the latest release of Squeak, with minimal VM
> changes, and maybe eventually no VM changes at all. And ultimately, it
> should work fine with Spoon. But I think it should always be an add-on
> package to some Squeak/Spoon core.
>
> .. Rob
>
> Dan Shafer wrote:
>> Cees.....
>>
>> I am going by what Rob said about it. He advised me not to rely on it
>> for a project just yet, but I think he's actively working on it again.
>>
>> Your news is encouraging. Perhaps Rob is being overly cautious.
>>
>> Dan

>>> Why not? Did you test it? Find issues?
>>>
>>> I used it for a project last year, and whatever problems we had, they
>>> weren't wx-related...

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Rob Gayvert
Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Rob Gayvert a écrit :
>
>>Dan,
>>
>>My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
>>wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5), and the
>>Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5 release
>

> I noted the Linux version is a bit slow (I cannot compare to the other
> version).
> Is it related to Squeak or is related to wxWidget?
>
> At least in the Linux  version, AFAIK, with wxWidget you have two levels
> of indirection:
>  wxWidget <--> GTK+ <-->Xlib
> It may also explain why it seems slow.

It's due to competition between the Squeak event loop, which uses Xlib,
and the wxWidgets event loop, which uses GTK. I haven't resolved this
entirely yet, but my current version feels much faster. I don't think
the extra indirection should have any noticeable effect for most
situations -- once the events get through, rendering is very fast.

.. Rob

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Rob Gayvert
Unfortunately, rather slowly. Right now I'm just focused on getting to a
stable wxSqueak base.

.. Rob

Rob Gayvert a écrit :

> It's due to competition between the Squeak event loop, which uses Xlib,
> and the wxWidgets event loop, which uses GTK. I haven't resolved this
> entirely yet, but my current version feels much faster. I don't think
> the extra indirection should have any noticeable effect for most
> situations -- once the events get through, rendering is very fast.

That's great news!

Hilaire

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

news.gmane.org-2
I (and other people on the VSE list) would be interested in some of the
technicalities of the port when you have the opportunity to comment.

In particular, I was would like to know if you have automated the
translation of the #createViews, or whether you ported the window
layouts and events manually. Ive speculated that it would not be that
difficult to hack WindowBuilder to output different code to target
another platform, like wxSqueak. Thats one project that I would sign up
for.

Wouldn't it be a great start for wxSqueak if you could offer an upgrade
path for all those VSE applications out there!

Cheers

Daniel

Rob Gayvert wrote:

> Unfortunately, rather slowly. Right now I'm just focused on getting to a
> stable wxSqueak base.
>
> .. Rob
>
> Daniel Poon wrote:
>> Hi Rob
>>
>> Last time we talked, you told me that you were using wxSqueak as a
>> target platform for a legacy VSE application. Are you able to say how
>> that port is going?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Daniel Poon
>>
>> Rob Gayvert wrote:
>>
>>> Dan,
>>>
>>> My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
>>> wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5), and
>>> the Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5
>>> release (coming RSN) will work well on all three platforms.
>>>
>>> As for all of the other discussion about wx/gtk/Spoon, I liked Cees'
>>> response the best: Why one UI? There are pros and cons to any UI
>>> toolkit, so the more options there are for Squeak, the more
>>> opportunities there will be to use it. My goal with wxSqueak has been
>>> to  keep it compatible with the latest release of Squeak, with
>>> minimal VM changes, and maybe eventually no VM changes at all. And
>>> ultimately, it should work fine with Spoon. But I think it should
>>> always be an add-on package to some Squeak/Spoon core.
>>>
>>> .. Rob

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse-2
> I (and other people on the VSE list) would be interested in some of
> the technicalities of the port when you have the opportunity to
> comment.
>
> In particular, I was would like to know if you have automated the
> translation of the #createViews, or whether you ported the window
> layouts and events manually. Ive speculated that it would not be
> that difficult to hack WindowBuilder to output different code to
> target another platform, like wxSqueak. Thats one project that I
> would sign up for.
>
> Wouldn't it be a great start for wxSqueak if you could offer an
> upgrade path for all those VSE applications out there!

Indeed!
Seems like a real business opportunity :).

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

David Mitchell-10
For developers who are thrown by the look and feel, have you thought of
hitting a Seaside app serving up the browser? Then you could hit the
repository with emacs or vi directly. (Never tried this for real work.)

I remember my first experience with Squeak. I was definitely turned off
by the look and feel. Squeak 1.18 looked like a MacSE with windows
dipped in Easter Egg dye. My work at the time involved IBM Smalltalk
which definitely looked more serious. But, my home machine at the time
was an anemic 486 that could run 1.18 in MVC just fine. After a time,
the Squeak look stopped bothering me and parts of it grew on me. As a
developer, owning every aspect of the look and feel appealed to me (even
if I rarely took advantage.

The main thing I missed was good fonts. Henryk's bluelook to me was the
answer, but it never got integrated. I always thought it looked
professional, but it never got integrated. I think bluelook appeared way
back when Squeak central was still running things. It didn't handle
colored text, which I imagine would have been a show stopper.

Your real question is why doesn't Squeak look better? I suppose because
the people in charge of the base distribution have other concerns that
they feel are more important.

Dan Shafer wrote:

> [...]
>> more important than for developers.
>>
>> But I doubt native/standard/whatever look alone will be enough  because,
>> as I mentioned, IBM's VisualAge Smalltalk had native widgets PLUS tons
>> of interfaces to major business systems (even CICS!) that no Smalltalk
>> will probably ever have again.
>>
>> I think Cees nailed it, its so hard to overcome the anti-marketing
>> forces.  IBM was selling their VA Java product for half the price of
>> their VA Smalltalk.  Its amazing VAST lasted as long as it did.  I'm
>> sure they were gratified (again) to sell the small interim-step in
>> technlology (VAJ) as a huge wave of revenue.  But I think they made a
>> big mistake, now where are they gonna go?
>>
>> Better looks will never hurt though..
>>

>> --- Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> non-standard,

>>> worry

>>> take,

>>> or

>>> I can see I touched a sore spot here. First, please remember I'm
>>> passing on reactions from others, not expressing my own views here.
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to make it possible for me to get
>>> projects and contracts using Squeak from people with pre-conceived
>>> ideas about what an application looks like.
>>>
>>> Short of true native platform widgets, I think it's safe to say that
>>> the vast, vast majority of computer users are accustomed to certain
>>> kinds of shapes for certain kinds of objects and that when we vary
>>> from those standards, we'd better have a really good reason for
>>> asking them to pay attention to our interface rather than to the task
>>> they are trying to accomplish. I don't know if that's "manly" gray
>>> metal or rainbow gradients or just round-cornered rectangles with
>>> default buttons flagged somehow. The point is that it is NOT the UI
>>> one finds in Squeak today.

>>> Again, I think it's less an issue of choosing a standard than it is
>>> of choosing a UI experience that maps to the user's established
>>> expectations.

>>> Yeah, only I heard it said about Mac programs. Same rubbish, though.

>>> wrong

>>> Sorry to keep beating the dead horse here, but the issue is that it
>>> is toy-like *compared to user expectations* set up by other programs.
>>> I find the EToys UI refreshing. My potential clients and colleagues
>>> whom I wish to interest in Squeak just don't.

>>> was a

>>> LOL. I think Squeak is a weird name for a programming language. But
>>> not weirder than C or Java or Ruby.

>>> as

>>> tells

>>> that,

>>> I am at least somewhat sympathetic to your thinking here, Chris. All
>>> I'm really trying to do is find answers that will satisfy and/or make
>>> sense to the great majority of people who've had their user
>>> experience expectations shaped by the market.
>>>
>>> Dan

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Göran Krampe
Hi!

David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The main thing I missed was good fonts. Henryk's bluelook to me was the
> answer, but it never got integrated. I always thought it looked
> professional, but it never got integrated. I think bluelook appeared way
> back when Squeak central was still running things. It didn't handle
> colored text, which I imagine would have been a show stopper.

Well, I don't think there ever was a conscious decision *not* to
integrate it - it was simply not done. Like with a lot of things. And
the work is still available to grab - as someone did recently after I
mentioned it in some other thread. His name was Henrik btw.

> Your real question is why doesn't Squeak look better? I suppose because
> the people in charge of the base distribution have other concerns that
> they feel are more important.

Let me rephrase that with a different wording:

"I suppose because the people *spending their time improving Squeak*
have other concerns that they feel are more important *to them*."

The difference in wording is important. If anyone actually did work to
improve looks (which happens from time to time, like the work of Diego)
I think there is no inherent resistence against integrating it. Though
looks in general is hard because people tend to think differently about
what is "good" or "bad" and the changes tend to spread all over the
large code base.

But there is AFAIK no explicit decision by "anyone in charge" to not
work on looks.

regards, Göran

PS. I would love Squeak to look super cool and be swift and with a
really nice and good feel. But I will not spend time on it because I
also have "other things of concern". Thankfully there are others working
on such things like Tweakers and Sophiers etc. :)

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

tblanchard
Well, if you really want to get critical, I have only two complaints
with the current UI - the look and the feel.

The feel is harder to fix but in general I agree with the earlier
poster that event handling doesn't always "feel" as solid as one
might hope.

The look I am hoping we can fix with access to OpenGL.  I don't care
if its "standard" but I would like it to be a lot "slicker".  The web
has allowed people to become more accepting of different UI as long
as it hangs together stylistically.

The key problem with Squeak's UI is that it was clearly designed by
engineers.  We ought to hire a designer to really sex it up.  I'd
toss in a kilobuck towards this.

On Jul 7, 2006, at 4:04 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 7-Jul-06, at 2:45 PM, Daniel Poon wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> UI widgets are a solved problem. It is part of the operating
>> system. Like writing a file system is done, writing UI widgets is
>> done too.
>
> Now that I have to disagree with. There is no OS/GUI /platform that
> I have so much as heard rumours of that qualify as having 'solved
> UI widgets'. They are all sufficiently steeped in effluvium as to
> smell bad.
>
> I don't think filing systems are 'done ' either; certainly
> microsoft hasn't managed to finish that damn big file system it's
> been promising RSN since I first moved to the US in 91. Unix is not
> exactly a shining example either.
>
> Just because lots (all?) of the current commercial platforms do
> something  doesn't mean it is a good - or even acceptable - idea.
>

> tim
> 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
+1

Dan

On 10 juil. 06, at 00:59, David Mitchell wrote:

> Your real question is why doesn't Squeak look better? I suppose
> because
> the people in charge of the base distribution have other concerns that
> they feel are more important.

You can put that sentence to the past tense :)
This is really important for us now we need help. Andy is working on
TT support.

On 10 juil. 06, at 06:16, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> The key problem with Squeak's UI is that it was clearly designed by
> engineers.  We ought to hire a designer to really sex it up.  I'd
> toss in a kilobuck towards this.

May be we should really do that.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Michael Rueger-6
stéphane ducasse wrote:

> This is really important for us now we need help. Andy is working on TT

With Sophie we have full Freetype integration, allowing us to support
all fonts that Freetype can read. :-)

Michael

On 10 juil. 06, at 08:59, Michael Rueger wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> This is really important for us now we need help. Andy is working
>> on TT
>
> With Sophie we have full Freetype integration, allowing us to
> support all fonts that Freetype can read. :-)

I knew that john contacted andy but what is the relationship between
the two projects?
Because I hope that andy will not be frustrated :)

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Andrew Tween

>> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> This is really important for us now we need help. Andy is working
>>> on TT
>>
>> With Sophie we have full Freetype integration, allowing us to
>> support all fonts that Freetype can read. :-)

>I knew that john contacted andy but what is the relationship between
>the two projects?

I suppose the simplest way of describing it is that I am attempting to 'harvest'
code from Sophie and Henrik, so that we can get FreeType/Subpixel-Anti-aliasing
into 3.9, or 3.10, 3.11... :)

I'll see if I get something together for people to look at.
This will only be for Windows, and similar to the last one, but now using the
latest FreeType-2.2.1, and based on 3.9.7038)

And I'll take a look at the latest Sophie code when I get a chance.

>Because I hope that andy will not be frustrated :)

Only with my own slow progress :)

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Chris Muller
Although far from native or standard anything, "Maui" is a
direct-manipulation "IDE" that has been available for some time on
SqueakSource.  It's a naked-objects framework, so not only a direct
manipulation IDE, its direct-manipulation of the actual running UI's.

I think its fun, and a fine example how a generic, open-ended UI
framework like Morphic permits promotes creative thinking and new
ideas.  Of course, the main theme lately has been lack of support for
existing ideas...

--- Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob....
>
> Good to hear from you again here.
>
> I agree; no need to stay with one UI, whatever it is. I'm anxious to
> get the wx stuff working because I want to turn my attention then to
> creating a graphical IDE for the construction of windows using the wx
> widgets. A direct-manipulation IDE is something I sorely miss in
> Smalltalk.

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse-2
Good to know. :)
I think that this is important to get good energy in this nice
community ":)

Stef

> I suppose the simplest way of describing it is that I am attempting
> to 'harvest'
> code from Sophie and Henrik, so that we can get FreeType/Subpixel-
> Anti-aliasing
> into 3.9, or 3.10, 3.11... :)
>
> I'll see if I get something together for people to look at.
> This will only be for Windows, and similar to the last one, but now
> using the
> latest FreeType-2.2.1, and based on 3.9.7038)
>
> And I'll take a look at the latest Sophie code when I get a chance.
>
>> Because I hope that andy will not be frustrated :)
>
> Only with my own slow progress :)

Re: OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer-3
I'd like to take a look at Maui but I can't seem to do so. My image
(a clean 3.8-6667full) appears to have Maui installed since when I
open SqueakMap, it doesn't give me an install option and the package
has no arrow, which the docs say means I should have it installed in
the image. But I can't find a class called Maui.

Any suggestions?

On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Although far from native or standard anything, "Maui" is a
> direct-manipulation "IDE" that has been available for some time on
> SqueakSource.  It's a naked-objects framework, so not only a direct
> manipulation IDE, its direct-manipulation of the actual running UI's.
>
> I think its fun, and a fine example how a generic, open-ended UI
> framework like Morphic permits promotes creative thinking and new
> ideas.  Of course, the main theme lately has been lack of support for
> existing ideas...
>

> --- Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Rob....
>>
>> Good to hear from you again here.
>>
>> I agree; no need to stay with one UI, whatever it is. I'm anxious to
>> get the wx stuff working because I want to turn my attention then to
>> creating a graphical IDE for the construction of windows using the wx
>> widgets. A direct-manipulation IDE is something I sorely miss in
>> Smalltalk.

123456