[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

1234 ... 6

[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Folks/Beta-Testers!

I have prepare a new PharoDev image. This image, has same differences with the previous ones that you should know:

1) This is the first Dev image I ever prepare. I adapt to Mac OS Damien's bash scripts to build them and I also cleanup all the Squeak stuff from those bash scripts. So, maybe there are some problems. Forgive me if this is the case. I would like you to check, not only the Image in itself but also the zip. The package.txt, changelog, the fonts, etc.

2) This image puts TrueType fonts again. We won't put StrikeFonts or DejaVu package until there is big bug with them. We know those fonts are faster, but still a bit buggy. If you fix those issues, cool!

3) This image DOES NOT include O2. I know there are a lot of people who use it (mostly in Moose), but unfortunately, this was a decision taken. O2 depends and overrides OB making this more unstable sometimes. The same as the TrueType, we will put O2 again when this can be perfectly load in a PharoCore image without anything about OB.
Sorry, but we rather affect only O2 users and not all. If you want packages support, then help in O2 development.

4) In previous Dev images only tests from PharoCore were included. Now, it also includes the tests from the external packages loaded.

5) This image was build using Metacello configurations. If you want, compare the installScript.st from this image to the previous one.

6) There is no Web image this time. If you want to install Seaside 2.8.4 evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
    load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load

And if you want Seaside 3.0 evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
    load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) loadLatestVersion

However, I am not sure if this is perfectly working in Pharo.

Ok .... Here is the link:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25156/pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1.zip

I will wait a couple of days now and I will also start to use this image for my development. If there are issues, report them. If we have big issues, this image is not release. On the other hand, if it works well, we release it.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Miguel Cobá
Hi Mariano,

good job. Some feedback.

The installScript has unused variables and your proxy settings exposed.
Maybe this should be deleted from the final build.

Shouldn't be this a RC 2? because there is a new build process and has
nothing to do with the RC1?

Also, the changes files, shouldn't be compressed for each RC and for the
final release?

Also, the packages.txt file talks about PharoCore1.0 (#10505). Has
someone thought about the name shown in System->About:

PharoCore1.0rc1
Latest update: #10505

Because this is not a PharoCore image. Shouldn't this read something
like

Pharo 1.0 Dev image.
Based on PharoCore1.0rc1
Latest update: #10505

What about the disabling of software updates in the Pharo dev/web
images? Will this be implemented or a careful update stream will be made
in order to not break a dev image with overrides (real difficult I
think).

Maybe all this setup can be put in a post-script in the
ConfigurationOfPharo class.

That's all for now. I'm going to use this image to work the following
days.

Cheers and keep the good work.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

2010/1/9 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
Hi Mariano,

good job. Some feedback.

The installScript has unused variables and your proxy settings exposed.
Maybe this should be deleted from the final build.

hahahahah I knew I was going to forget about that :(
Thanks. Some bash guru that help me to automatize this? I would like something that automatically removes that from the file if it is found.
Can you help me Miguel ?

Shouldn't be this a RC 2? because there is a new build process and has
nothing to do with the RC1?

I thought about putting it RC2, actually, I was going to do that. But as the PharoCore was named rc1, I din't want to name it rc2 because maybe it was confusing.
I am not sure, thus. What do you think ?

Also, the changes files, shouldn't be compressed for each RC and for the
final release?

Excellent point. Do you rather to Smalltalk >> condenseChanges ?  It can be perfectly added. Right now, we are doing all this:

    MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
    MCDefinition clearInstances.
    Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories.
    Utilities cleanseOtherworldlySteppers.
    Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys.
    Categorizer sortAllCategories.
    Symbol compactSymbolTable.
    Smalltalk at: #ReleaseBuilderDeveloper ifPresent: [:builder | builder new fixObsoleteReferences].
    RequiredSelectors initialize.
    ProvidedSelectors initialize.
    LocalSends initialize.
    Smalltalk organization removeEmptyCategories.
    SystemBrowser removeObsolete.
    TheWorldMenu removeObsolete.
    AppRegistry removeObsolete.
    Set rehashAllSets.
    Smalltalk cleanOutUndeclared.
    Smalltalk garbageCollect.

Do you think something else should be addded?   Maybe we can reuse ScriptLoader cleanings ?

Also, the packages.txt file talks about PharoCore1.0 (#10505). Has
someone thought about the name shown in System->About:

PharoCore1.0rc1
Latest update: #10505

Because this is not a PharoCore image. Shouldn't this read something
like

Pharo 1.0 Dev image.
Based on PharoCore1.0rc1
Latest update: #10505

Yes, that's true. I agree. At least it was not "my falt" as it was already like that. But I am agree we should change that. However, I don't know how to do it.
Maybe something related to SystemVersion? Any help ?

What about the disabling of software updates in the Pharo dev/web
images? Will this be implemented or a careful update stream will be made
in order to not break a dev image with overrides (real difficult I
think).

Maybe. But in addition, sometimes there are bugs that updating just fix them. I am not sure if I want to disable. I rather warn people about it.
Do you know if we break some overrrides doing an update?

Maybe all this setup can be put in a post-script in the
ConfigurationOfPharo class.

It is. We have pre and post do its. So, no problem :)

That's all for now. I'm going to use this image to work the following
days.

Cheers and keep the good work.

Thanks Miguel for the excellent feedback. Let's hope to build better images!

Mariano

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

On Jan 9, 2010, at 8:39 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
>
> good job. Some feedback.
>
> The installScript has unused variables and your proxy settings exposed.
> Maybe this should be deleted from the final build.
>
> Shouldn't be this a RC 2? because there is a new build process and has
> nothing to do with the RC1?

yes rc2
mariano pharo-rc2 is not a problem

> Also, the changes files, shouldn't be compressed for each RC and for the
> final release?

Yes probably.

> Also, the packages.txt file talks about PharoCore1.0 (#10505). Has
> someone thought about the name shown in System->About:
>
> PharoCore1.0rc1
> Latest update: #10505

This is on the todo of marcus to come up with a HUGE list of actions we did in pharo 1.0
:) in a better way than the update cryptic log.

> Because this is not a PharoCore image. Shouldn't this read something
> like
>
> Pharo 1.0 Dev image.
> Based on PharoCore1.0rc1
> Latest update: #10505
>
> What about the disabling of software updates in the Pharo dev/web
> images? Will this be implemented or a careful update stream will be made
> in order to not break a dev image with overrides (real difficult I
> think).

Yeap another interesting point. May be disabling is the easiest solution :)

> Maybe all this setup can be put in a post-script in the
> ConfigurationOfPharo class.
>
> That's all for now. I'm going to use this image to work the following
> days.
>
> Cheers and keep the good work.
>
> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gofer seaside28 load

does not work.  What is the correct way to install Seaside - I can't do much w/o it.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/9 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Gofer seaside28 load

I didn't say that. I said:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
    load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load

And I also said I was not sure of this is working.

Cheers

Mariano

does not work.  What is the correct way to install Seaside - I can't do much w/o it.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Benoit St-Jean
Win XP, SP3

Here are the test results, see screenshot attached:

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

SUnit.jpg (163K) Download Attachment

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Mariano,

The reason I objected (and continue to do so) to clobbering the web image is that complete chaos of how to install things comes into play.  Assuming that I know what YOU said on the subject is a stretch to say the least: try a search engine on the subject.

BTW, it does not work.  There is very little I can do until Seaside loads.

Bill

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Benoit for the report and taking the time to run all the tests. I already knew that there are a lot failing tests. Unfortunately, there is not too much I can do:

1) Maintainers of packages with failures can tell me if they are failing for "my fault". I mean,  because I don't load a dependency or something like that. And if this is the case, I can fix that.

2) I can remove all the packages that have failing tests -> I think we will load very few packages.

3) We should ask maintainers to fix them. Of course, there are packages that even don't have maintainers.

thoughts about this ?

Cheers

Mariano

2010/1/9 Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>
Win XP, SP3

Here are the test results, see screenshot attached:

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/9 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Mariano,

The reason I objected (and continue to do so) to clobbering the web image is that complete chaos of how to install things comes into play.  Assuming that I know what YOU said on the subject is a stretch to say the least: try a search engine on the subject.

I am a bit tired of this. I will answer for the last time and I hope you understand: Do you want seaside ?

1) Volunteer yourself to build Web images. It is easy to ask, but what about doing?

2) Take the Web Image before, analize how seaside was installed and do it by yourself. I cannot take it more than half an hour.

3) Use official seaside image

4) Report what doesn't work with the ConfigurationOfSeaside in Metacello mailing list so that everybody can collaborate and fix it. If you see that mailing list, I did exactly that. Just saying "doesn't work"  does not help.

Cheers

Mariano

BTW, it does not work.  There is very little I can do until Seaside loads.

Bill

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Two can be tired of this.  I could just use the official Seaside images, but I thought it might be nice to help with testing the monthly images.  I won't get very far with that if Seaside won't load.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/9 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Two can be tired of this.  I could just use the official Seaside images, but I thought it might be nice to help with testing the monthly images.

It would be nice that you could help with the testing. But so far, all the configuration of our stuff is in Metacello configurations. If you see the script I used to create the PharoDev image, I just used the ConfigurationOfMetacello. The same with Seaide. The idea is to use that. With this we can also collaborate with Gemstone, Squeak and Metacello. If you test and report issues every month for the Dev image, trying to load Seaside with the configuration, it is exactly the same as having the web image.

So, please, report your real problem (right now you just said it didn't work) to Metacello mailing list, copy also Pharo if you want, so that people can help and fix the problems.

I won't get very far with that if Seaside won't load.

As Seaside people to write a Configuration that loads in Pharo. Moose people build their own. Glass the same.
But I guess they will told you the same as me.

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Lukas Renggli
> Gofer seaside28 load
>
> does not work.  What is the correct way to install Seaside - I can't do much
> w/o it.

"Does not work" doesn't say much. Can you be more specific?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

El sáb, 09-01-2010 a las 21:00 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> 2010/1/9 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
>         Hi Mariano,
>
>         good job. Some feedback.
>
>         The installScript has unused variables and your proxy settings
>         exposed.
>         Maybe this should be deleted from the final build.
>

> hahahahah I knew I was going to forget about that :(
> Thanks. Some bash guru that help me to automatize this? I would like
> something that automatically removes that from the file if it is
> found.
> Can you help me Miguel ?

Maybe you can use two scripts, one for configuring the proxy and other
for the gofer/metacello configuration. Then before zipping the files,
delete the proxy settings one. Also, don't the settings remain
configured in the image on the snapshot:andQuit message. If so, a
post-script to clear the parameter is needed too.

>         Shouldn't be this a RC 2? because there is a new build process
>         and has
>         nothing to do with the RC1?
>

> I thought about putting it RC2, actually, I was going to do that. But
> as the PharoCore was named rc1, I din't want to name it rc2 because
> maybe it was confusing.
> I am not sure, thus. What do you think ?

I think that is good to have a RC2. Also this shows progress to the
public.

>         Also, the changes files, shouldn't be compressed for each RC
>         and for the
>         final release?
>
> Excellent point. Do you rather to Smalltalk >> condenseChanges ?  It
> can be perfectly added. Right now, we are doing all this:

I don't know the exact message to condense changes, but if it is that
then yes, should be added near the end of the other instructions.

>     MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>     MCDefinition clearInstances.
>     Smalltalk removeEmptyMessageCategories.
>     Utilities cleanseOtherworldlySteppers.
>     Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys.
>     Categorizer sortAllCategories.
>     Symbol compactSymbolTable.
>     Smalltalk at: #ReleaseBuilderDeveloper ifPresent: [:builder |
> builder new fixObsoleteReferences].
>     RequiredSelectors initialize.
>     ProvidedSelectors initialize.
>     LocalSends initialize.
>     Smalltalk organization removeEmptyCategories.
>     SystemBrowser removeObsolete.
>     TheWorldMenu removeObsolete.
>     AppRegistry removeObsolete.
>     Set rehashAllSets.
>     Smalltalk cleanOutUndeclared.
>     Smalltalk garbageCollect.

Respect to this list, and maybe this should be a ticket. Shouldn't be
better to have an established message to cleanup the image on release.
Something like the cleanUpForImageRelease but generalized and then, the
classes that need to do something like this, they implement that
message.

So on release a new image version you only call something like

Smalltalk cleanUpForImageRelease.

and inside it search all the classes that implements the message and
call them. So, your post-script becomes a single line and each package
is responsible of putting inside its own cleanUpForImageRelease whatever
needed to initialize itself.
But well, just an idea for subsequent releases.

> Do you think something else should be addded?   Maybe we can reuse
> ScriptLoader cleanings ?

Yes, and also the GarbageCollector parameters that John McIntosh is
preparing. This must be part of Pharo 1.0 without doubts.

>         Also, the packages.txt file talks about PharoCore1.0 (#10505).
>         Has
>         someone thought about the name shown in System->About:
>
>         PharoCore1.0rc1
>         Latest update: #10505
>
>         Because this is not a PharoCore image. Shouldn't this read
>         something
>         like
>
>         Pharo 1.0 Dev image.
>         Based on PharoCore1.0rc1
>         Latest update: #10505
>

> Yes, that's true. I agree. At least it was not "my falt" as it was
> already like that. But I am agree we should change that. However, I
> don't know how to do it.
> Maybe something related to SystemVersion? Any help ?
>

>         What about the disabling of software updates in the Pharo
>         dev/web
>         images? Will this be implemented or a careful update stream
>         will be made
>         in order to not break a dev image with overrides (real
>         difficult I
>         think).
>

> Maybe. But in addition, sometimes there are bugs that updating just
> fix them. I am not sure if I want to disable. I rather warn people
> about it.

Yes, both options have pros and cons.

Pros
- Can fix bugs after release
- Can aply improvements to the image after release.

Cons
- Can mess the image of someone by overwriting some overridden method.
- Can accidentally update more than intended in someone's image

Should we vote?

> Do you know if we break some overrrides doing an update?
>
>         Maybe all this setup can be put in a post-script in the
>         ConfigurationOfPharo class.
>
> It is. We have pre and post do its. So, no problem :)
>

>         That's all for now. I'm going to use this image to work the
>         following
>         days.
>
>         Cheers and keep the good work.

> Thanks Miguel for the excellent feedback. Let's hope to build better
> images!
>
> Mariano

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Matthias Berth-2
Hi Bill,

this one works for me with the current pharo core 1.0 rc1, update upto 10505

"execute this:"
Gofer new
       squeaksource: 'Loader';
       package: 'Loader';
       load.
"then this"
Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
"then this"
Loader new
       load: 'Seaside28' version: '2.8.4.2'

The "Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'." loads a lot
of additional pharo packages. I guess you won't need that just to get
seaside working.

Ask Esteban Lorenzano for details about hw this works :)

Cheers

Matthias

2010/1/9 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> Two can be tired of this.  I could just use the official Seaside images, but
> I thought it might be nice to help with testing the monthly images.  I won't
> get very far with that if Seaside won't load.
>

> ________________________________

>>> From: [hidden email]

Tried to install seaside 2.8 with this snippet in the image you
published.

It gives me an error:

MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "load" is nil

when executing:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load

The method complaining is:

MetacelloMCProject(MetacelloProject)>> latestVersion

specifically, this part:

(self map values select: [:version |
                (excluded includes: version blessing) not ]) detectMax: [:version |
version ]

the select gives an empty list and the detectMax returns nil.

the excluded temp var has:

#(#development #broken #baseline)

and the versions of Seaside are blessed as development.

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

El dom, 10-01-2010 a las 00:08 +0100, Matthias Berth escribió:

> Hi Bill,
>
> this one works for me with the current pharo core 1.0 rc1, update upto 10505
>
> "execute this:"
> Gofer new
>        squeaksource: 'Loader';
>        package: 'Loader';
>        load.
> "then this"
> Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
> "then this"
> Loader new
>        load: 'Seaside28' version: '2.8.4.2'
>
> The "Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'." loads a lot
> of additional pharo packages. I guess you won't need that just to get
> seaside working.

But isn't the loader alpha yet?

I mean, I am really expecting for Esteban to release it because is more
concise to write commands, but the issue here is the testing of the 1.0
release of pharo with the current available/stable tools, that is,
monticello, gofer and metacello.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Matthias,

That appears to have worked.  Let's see, we have Installer, ScriptLoader, Configuration*, Gofer, etc., and now Loader =:0  I'm guilty too, because I ended up writing Migrate in self defense.  Clearly something is missing in package management or we would not have so many different solutions to strongly overlapping problems.

I will have to repeat this because

  Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.

did not seem to do much - makes me wonder whether I really ran it.  If not, then it appears not to be necessary for Seaside to at least load.

If this is in fact the correct way to install Seaside (I submit we need direction on that, unless you or Esteban are the authoritative source??), then it needs to get a link on the download page.  Therein, we should refer to (Smalltalk at:#Loader) rather than directly to Loader.

Please convey my thanks and respect to Esteban - not sure I want to know *how* this works :)

Thanks!!

Bill

this one works for me with the current pharo core 1.0 rc1, update upto 10505

"execute this:"
Gofer new
       squeaksource: 'Loader';
       package: 'Loader';
       load.
"then this"
Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
"then this"
Loader new
       load: 'Seaside28' version: '2.8.4.2'

The "Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'." loads a lot of additional pharo packages. I guess you won't need that just to get seaside working.

Ask Esteban Lorenzano for details about hw this works :)

Cheers

Matthias

2010/1/9 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> Two can be tired of this.  I could just use the official Seaside
> images, but I thought it might be nice to help with testing the
> monthly images.  I won't get very far with that if Seaside won't load.
>

> ________________________________

>>> From: [hidden email]

2010/1/10 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
El dom, 10-01-2010 a las 00:08 +0100, Matthias Berth escribió:
> Hi Bill,
>
> this one works for me with the current pharo core 1.0 rc1, update upto 10505
>
> "execute this:"
> Gofer new
>        squeaksource: 'Loader';
>        package: 'Loader';
>        load.
> "then this"
> Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'.
> "then this"
> Loader new
>        load: 'Seaside28' version: '2.8.4.2'
>
> The "Loader new load: 'Pharo' version: '1.0-rc2.10505'." loads a lot
> of additional pharo packages. I guess you won't need that just to get
> seaside working.

But isn't the loader alpha yet?

Maybe even before.  Hoever, it does not make sense. Loader is just a simplifier API to metacello. If Loader works with Seaside2.8,  ConfigurationOfSeaside28 MUST work too.

I mean, I am really expecting for Esteban to release it because is more
concise to write commands, but the issue here is the testing of the 1.0
release of pharo with the current available/stable tools, that is,
monticello, gofer and metacello.

Yes, please. Let's try to use this tools first. When we are stable enough we start with another ones.

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10505-rc1dev10.01.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Miguel,

My concern is over testing of the RC images.  Whether Loader is alpha or not seems a little less important than providing what people will need in order to test.  As a friend of mine would say, "don't make it hard on people to help you."

I will gladly download a web image, run something in production, or run an alpha installer.  The important thing is to have a clear message and a working solution to the problem.

Bill