Looking for good souls

123456

Re: Looking for good souls

François Schnell-2
a "Tutor" list  for Squeak  (cool ! it feels  like being at Squeak Academy at last  :)  )

"Reporting for duty sir" ... euh ... I mean count me in !

francois

On 22/04/06, Nagy Attila <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Herbert!

Shyness, I think that's quite a barrier to cross when you're new to a
community. And when I see people speaking about Croquet and HOM (none of
which I have managed to grasp the essence of), indeed I am a bit
discouraged to ask questions like "how do I create a simple input window?"

Splitting the community wouldn't be much of a problem, I think, as the
experienced squeakers can also take part in the new list, which would be
for the benefit of both them and the newcomers.

As you said:
> The people doing the work of developing Squeak don't stumble about
> what bugs a newbie anymore.

Exactly that's what I think. And I think that is why there aren't enough
good tutorials out there.

And again, I think the splitting of the community would not be that much
of a problem, if the new list would be successful at levelling up the
newcomers to the point where they are able to take part in the main dev
list's discussions.

Herbert König írta:

> Hello Attis,
>
> NA> I am a newcomer to the world of Squeak and Smalltalk, but already an
> NA> experienced programmer in some other languages (including Java, which I
> NA> think I'll never use again :) ) I would like to dive into developing
> NA> useful applications in Squeak, but don't really know where to start,
> NA> right now I am trying to familiarize myself with Morphic programming.
> NA> So, if this collective of Good Souls is together, I'd be the first one
> NA> to sign up to the new squeak-starters list. Thanks for the great idea -
> NA> sounds just like what I've been looking for!
>
> just go ahead, I guess I'm new enough to remember how I felt in the
> beginning. And my background is like yours. (Except for Java :-)
>
> Actually there is a drawback in a newbie list. It splits up the
> community.
>
> The people doing the work of developing Squeak don't stumble about
> what bugs a newbie anymore.
>
> So mail me in private, wait for the new list or just ask here!
>

> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Should I downgrade?

Hilaire Fernandes-5
Strange LifeMorph and ProgrammingMorph work fine for me with
Squeak3.8-6665. Can it be related to some post-update on your 3.8 image?
Try with a fresh 3.8 image.

Hilaire

Nagy Attila a écrit :

> What I get is:
>
> "Error occured during install:
> MultiByteFileStream>>fileInObjectAndCodeForProject"
>
> Debugger says "MultiByteFileStrem(Object) does not understand
> #fileInObjectAndCodeForProject"
>
> Can this be due to the version mismatch?
>
> Hilaire Fernandes írta:
>

>> Nagy Attila a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Squeakers,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to install some packages I think may be of help in
>>> learning Morphic (BreakOut, ProgrammingMorph, LifeMorph), of which only
>>> BreakOut installed correctly. I keep getting errors saying that there's
>>> no release for my Squeak version, which is 3.8. Most packages are for
>>> 3.6. Should I downgrade my Squeak? Or is there another way?
>>

>> Even if you get this message, you can still ask to get the package
>> installed. At least I know it works for ProgrammingMorph.
>>

>>> Thanks, Attis

Re: Should I downgrade?

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Strange LifeMorph and ProgrammingMorph work fine for me with
> Squeak3.8-6665. Can it be related to some post-update on your 3.8 image?
> Try with a fresh 3.8 image.
>
> Hilaire

My guess is that Nagy upgraded SM before the last round of fixes. So
Nagy - first do "upgrade all installed packages" - which hopefully
upgrades "SqueakMap2 Base" and perhaps "SqueakMap Loader" (not as
critical), and then try again.

The packages you mention are in three different formats and the error
you mentioned was probably for ProgrammingMorph (since that is packaged
as a Project (.pr)). It might have been solved in my last update to
SqueakMap2 Base - but again, just a guess.

regards, Göran

Re[2]: Looking for good souls

Herbert König
Hello Attis,

NA> Shyness, I think that's quite a barrier to cross when you're new to a
NA> community. And when I see people speaking about Croquet and HOM (none of

no doubt and that's why we have to do something about it.

NA> discouraged to ask questions like "how do I create a simple input window?"

FillInTheBlankMorph request: 'How to create a simple input window'
initialAnswer: 'Try FillInTheBlankMorph's class side messages'
:-))

NA> Exactly that's what I think. And I think that is why there aren't enough
NA> good tutorials out there.

There are many (won't judge them for good or bad). I had fun with "Why
morpic is way cool" from the swiki http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak
though outdated.

There you'll find something named "Practical wizardry". I admit I
started with the bank account tutorial. Also try "Terse Guide to
Squeak" and for some UI basics look at the pluggable morphs demo.

And then there's the free books collected by Stef.

There really is a wealth of information, also on which packages to
install. Just a bit widespread. Dunno what you found yourself already,
so I'll keep this short but keep asking!

One thing about morpic is you have to change your mindset about user
interface programming but there also is Wx widgets which is closer to
conventional Windows UI. Haven't tried yet.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

RE: Looking for good souls

Sebastián Sastre
Nagy, I think you can take advantage of seaside framework (www.seaside.st)
Regards,
Sebastian
PD: I allways critic, I could be wrog but I don't see too much future in
morphic stuff. I think there are more sophisticated ideas being cooked.

RE: Looking for good souls

Sebastián Sastre
Stef,

        I will help with what I can. Anyway I'll don't wait to be some kind
of expert (by the way... wich nobody cant tell you when that happen) to give
some help to users. I must say that I support this idea and I think is the
rigt direction.

        I must say too that the list's name "squeak-starters mailing-list"
is not going in this direction and what is worse is subtlelty teaching
everybody that is not. I say this because it will keep allways the
subscribers thinking in theirselves as starters (of something that should be
"going" someday). I would agree with a name like "squeak-users" so it
subtlelty teach that (in fact) *is* going. I think it will help us to help.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Re: Looking for good souls

stéphane ducasse-2
Ok so let's find a good name.

squeakers
squeak-starter
squeak-chat
squeak-users (i'm afraid that people think about using = etoy but why
not).

I like the chat idea of the meeting on irc (that I usually miss).

Stef

On 22 avr. 06, at 15:39, Sebastián Sastre wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I will help with what I can. Anyway I'll don't wait to be some kind
> of expert (by the way... wich nobody cant tell you when that
> happen) to give
> some help to users. I must say that I support this idea and I think
> is the
> rigt direction.
>
> I must say too that the list's name "squeak-starters mailing-list"
> is not going in this direction and what is worse is subtlelty teaching
> everybody that is not. I say this because it will keep allways the
> subscribers thinking in theirselves as starters (of something that
> should be
> "going" someday). I would agree with a name like "squeak-users" so it
> subtlelty teach that (in fact) *is* going. I think it will help us
> to help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sebastian

RE: Looking for good souls

Ron Teitelbaum
I'll help.

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Looking for good souls

cdavidshaffer
Count me in...

Re: Looking for good souls

tblanchard
Squeak is so deep that half the time I feel like a noob working with it.

But I'll certainly subscribe and jump in with help where I can.

-Todd

On Apr 22, 2006, at 12:00 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I would like to have a list for newbies: squeak-starters
> because (I see it now with my students) newbies are really afraid
> to post,
> experience with python mailing-list doing the same are a success so
> we should learn.
>
> Now I would like to have a couple of good souls to help me
> answering the questions
> on this squeak-starters mailing-list.
>
> So if we are 4 or 5 we win!
>
> Stef

Re: Looking for good souls

François Schnell-2

On 22/04/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok so let's find a good name.

my 2 cents:

I personally think it should emphasize on the idea of *learning* (I think Squeak needs that: more programmers/teachers/students/people  *learning* to program in Squeak and do useful things with it)

squeakers

It looks like a club to me not sure if it's about learning.

squeak-starter

No strong  opinion

squeak-chat

Don't like it and doesn't look like *learning* but eventually 'gossiping', maybe in a squeak manner  ;)

squeak-users (i'm afraid that people think about using = etoy but why
not).

I tend to like it but maybe 'Squeakers' are 'above' *using* (the users of) a software. To me Squeak seems more about 'building'/learning/programing  than 'using'.

Personally I quiet like the "tutor" prefix (or any prefix which focus on *learning* but not on belonging to any kind of select club or 'sect'). As I mentioned before the list 'Python-Tutors' works well and have been very helpful for me and it begins with a statement which don't scare beginners : "Tutor -- Discussion for learning programming with Python".

Anyway I think the idea is that it should be clear for newcomers that they are welcome to ask even 'silly'/obvious/abc question in a list which is designed for that (meaning few threads about hacking the VM or Bug Reports)

Whatever the name of the list I think it's a great initiative, thanks :)

francois

Re: Looking for good souls

Hilaire Fernandes-5
francois schnell a écrit :

> Personally I quiet like the "tutor" prefix (or any prefix which focus on
> *learning* but not on belonging to any kind of select club or 'sect').
> As I mentioned before the list 'Python-Tutors' works well and have been
> very helpful for me and it begins with a statement which don't scare
> beginners : "Tutor -- Discussion for learning programming with Python".

I agree with François, "tutor" included in the mailing list name will be
meaningfull for starters.

Hilaire

Re: Looking for good souls

stéphane ducasse-2
May be this is my english but for me

squeak-Tutor tells me that this is for teachers and not for learners :)

Stef
On 22 avr. 06, at 18:10, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> francois schnell a écrit :
>
>> Personally I quiet like the "tutor" prefix (or any prefix which
>> focus on
>> *learning* but not on belonging to any kind of select club or
>> 'sect').
>> As I mentioned before the list 'Python-Tutors' works well and have
>> been
>> very helpful for me and it begins with a statement which don't scare
>> beginners : "Tutor -- Discussion for learning programming with
>> Python".
>
> I agree with François, "tutor" included in the mailing list name
> will be
> meaningfull for starters.
>
> Hilaire

Re: Looking for good souls

Hilaire Fernandes-5
stéphane ducasse a écrit :
> May be this is my english but for me

No it should be mine :)

> squeak-Tutor tells me that this is for teachers and not for learners :)

Then what about squeak-learners, at least it is explicite.

Re: Looking for good souls

François Schnell-2
Damned ! you're probably right, I was on the wrong list ! that's probably why I've learnt Python so quick ;)

On 22/04/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
May be this is my english but for me

squeak-Tutor tells me that this is for teachers and not for learners :)

Stef
On 22 avr. 06, at 18:10, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> francois schnell a écrit :
>
>> Personally I quiet like the "tutor" prefix (or any prefix which
>> focus on
>> *learning* but not on belonging to any kind of select club or

>> 'sect').
>> As I mentioned before the list 'Python-Tutors' works well and have
>> been
>> very helpful for me and it begins with a statement which don't scare
>> beginners : "Tutor -- Discussion for learning programming with
>> Python".
>
> I agree with François, "tutor" included in the mailing list name
> will be
> meaningfull for starters.
>
> Hilaire

Re: Looking for good souls

tblanchard
In keeping with zen and the importance of approaching the world with
"beginner's mind",  I like squeak-beginners.

On Apr 22, 2006, at 9:15 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> May be this is my english but for me
>
> squeak-Tutor tells me that this is for teachers and not for
> learners :)
>
> Stef
> On 22 avr. 06, at 18:10, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
>> francois schnell a écrit :
>>
>>> Personally I quiet like the "tutor" prefix (or any prefix which
>>> focus on
>>> *learning* but not on belonging to any kind of select club or
>>> 'sect').
>>> As I mentioned before the list 'Python-Tutors' works well and
>>> have been
>>> very helpful for me and it begins with a statement which don't scare
>>> beginners : "Tutor -- Discussion for learning programming with
>>> Python".
>>
>> I agree with François, "tutor" included in the mailing list name
>> will be
>> meaningfull for starters.
>>
>> Hilaire

Re: Looking for good souls

Nagy Attila
Herbert König wrote:

 > FillInTheBlankMorph request: 'How to create a simple input window'
 > initialAnswer: 'Try FillInTheBlankMorph's class side messages'
 > :-))

Wow, thanks! Exactly what I've been looking for.

One thing that would surely make it easier for everyone to start out
would be a brief list of the most important class -- I mean the ones
that help you through the steepest part of the learning curve. For
example, since I've got to know the Transcript, I could do thingies in a
Workspace that did output, but still had no way of reading user input.
Now I do. Maybe having a list titled: "If you are new to Squeak, get
acquainted to these classes:" would help.

On the name of the new list: I think "squeak-user" is not too
informative. How about "squeak-wannabe-dev"?

Some wilder ideas: "squeak-good-souls" or "squeak-boot-camp". What do
you think? Would either of them totally scare off newcomers?

And this goes out to you all: this is my first day on this mailing list,
and you've been responsive and helpful to me all the time. You are
indeed Good Souls, and one of the most friendly communities I've ever
got to know. Keep it up!

Attis

Re: Looking for good souls

stéphane ducasse-2
sounds cool.
> In keeping with zen and the importance of approaching the world
> with "beginner's mind",  I like squeak-beginners.

Re: Looking for good souls

timrowledge
I feel the need to make a couple of points here:-

a mailing list for newcomers and other learners to ask questions is a
good thing so long as enough people already knowledgeable and able to
spend time helping actually take part. A mailing list is not a good
place to look for answers to questions previously asked, for when a
user feels a little more confident and wants to do some research
themself. I'm not much of a fan of web-based forae because of the
fragmentation they seem to engender BUT they are an excellent
mechanism to provide an easily growable knowledge base of answers and
advice. A swiki should be at least as good but they do seem to get
horribly disorganised very quickly so perhaps using a web forum in
the style of www.osxfaq.com's would be useful. Some threads are open
to post questions and some are closed as a record of an answer that
should stand alone.

more importantly we need *content*. I'd bet that almost every
plausible newcomer question has been asked and answered but we have
no sensible record. Searching a mailing list archive isn't really
very helpful, especially if the subject was contentious and generated
more heat than light. There are almost certainly hundreds of useful
tutorial snippets  - some much more than snippets - lying around the
web. Surely an effective tactic would be to dig them all out, review
them for accuracy, contemporary relevance, completeness and quality
and then try to build a reasonably coherent body of  guidance out of
them?

more important still, we need *commitment* to do this and keep it up
to date and answer questions and take the the answers and make them
into newer or better tutorials and articles. We need people that are
competent (or great!) teachers to actually decide to make the effort
and to keep it up. We need people that are good at turning helpful
answers into helpful pages on the web. We need reviewers to critique
the tutorials and help make them better.

I can't provide that commitment since I'm pretty much maxed out by
VMMaker and the general Foundation work. Who can volunteer to do this?

tim
CChheecckk yyoouurr dduupplleexx sswwiittcchh..

Re: Looking for good souls

stéphane ducasse-2
We could give a try to get a web forum but someone should do it :)
(we even developed a SmallBB in Seaside, but it seems that
people were not into that). Indeed sorting the information is crucial
and few people are pushing there.
We are planning to write Squeak by Example as a free book, but this
is secret :) and ideally this could be good that people contribute
with a main editor. But for now this is still secret ;)

For now I feel that I could start with a squeak-wannabe mailing-list